• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Origins releasing on June 23rd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.
Because it totally doesn’t mean that the Switch won’t run at 4K60 but instead at native 60 FPS.
It totally means that it will run at 320p and 12 FPS with the ZX Spectrum color clash. Also, this is based on the Amstrad CPC version so no hardware scrolling.
As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, if that's the case then why reference the framerate at all? Why not write "4k on PC, Xbox, and PlayStation only?" If you mark out "these features" in the beginning of a sentence and end the sentence with "only," but one of those features is actually not only on the stated platforms, can you see how that's confusing?
Especially when literally the most recent Sonic game that Sega released did this and it was 30fps on Switch?

I ran Sonic Mania at 60 FPS on a $200 laptop, there's no way the retro engine remasters can't pull off 60 FPS on Switch
Sonic Mania already runs at 60 fps on Switch and Origins is confirmed to be on the same Retro engine, a 2D remaster and not a 3D one like Colors. This is a non issue imo.

It's taken for granted that 2d pixel art games run at 60 on Switch, its awkward wording but I only interpret it as the resolution being exclusive and not the framerate.

can't blame anyone for having trust issues with SEGA.. even if this would be a new low for them (Sonic Mania is at 60fps on Switch; even the worst emulated versions of those games were at 60fps in the SEGA Genesis Collection); --But I also thought they couldn't possibly make a Wii game run at 30fps on Switch with Colors

Colors being 30fps on switch makes sense, not for a good reason mind you. The port more than doubled the amount of polygons in the level geometry, in an automated way which severely bloated the count. On top of it having a bunch of HD effects that could cost a bit of performance. But here's the thing: You're talking about a crappy remaster done by Blind Squirrel. They have nothing to do with Headcannon nor Taxman AND have zilch to do with Origins. The only thing they have in common is that SEGA is publishing these titles. SEGA is not even the ones programming the games, so that has fuck all to do with it. The performance and such on Origins relies on Taxman/Stealth's programming. You guys are still overacting.

There was never a single bit of a chance this was gonna run 30fps on Switch. Like, I legit cannot believe we have to talk about this.

So uh..

0DXKf8N_d.webp

Switch has been removed from the pre-order page. Granted even when it was there it said "coming soon" over it and wasn't clickable, but still. Unexpected change.

This got me thinking that they should totally port Generations to modern consoles, shouldn't they? I bought it but ended up never playing it and now I'm too lazy to plug my PS3 (i don't even know if it still works).

This got me thinking that they should totally port Generations to modern consoles, shouldn't they? I bought it but ended up never playing it and now I'm too lazy to plug my PS3 (i don't even know if it still works).
They kinda did? I dunno about PS4/5 but Generations, Unleashed, and even Adventure 1 & 2 are definitely on Xbox One/Series. Matter of fact they just updated Generations and Unleashed with 60fps support on OneX/Series a few months ago.

Quoted by: Leo
They kinda did? I dunno about PS4/5 but Generations, Unleashed, and even Adventure 1 & 2 are definitely on Xbox One/Series. Matter of fact they just updated Generations and Unleashed with 60fps support on OneX/Series a few months ago.

But that's just BC, isn't it? I mean a new release for all platforms, I'd love to have on the Switch

But that's just BC, isn't it? I mean a new release for all platforms, I'd love to have on the Switch
It is BC but (especially with the recent upgrade) they look and play just as good as ports, and they're downloadable so it's not like you have to hunt for a 360 disc on eBay or something in order to play.

However, yes, a Switch release would rock.

It is BC but (especially with the recent upgrade) they look and play just as good as ports, and they're downloadable so it's not like you have to hunt for a 360 disc on eBay or something in order to play.

However, yes, a Switch release would rock.

Further, they’re preferable to ports (at least IMO) becuase they didn’t give SEGA a chance to fuck it up like Colors lmao.

I do wish Unleashed got the same care as Generations with a res bump tho.

Further, they’re preferable to ports (at least IMO) becuase they didn’t give SEGA a chance to fuck it up like Colors lmao.
ugh, I was just thinking about this. 😅😅😅
I try not to be negative and I respect the hell out of the devs who put in so much work but the Colors development fiasco, followed by one of Sega's official social media people going on twitter and handwaving it away as "we all know Switch struggles with 3rd party games, maybe we should go back to making different versions for Nintendo like we did during the Wii days" just fuckin burns me.

ugh, I was just thinking about this. 😅😅😅
I try not to be negative and I respect the hell out of the devs who put in so much work but the Colors development fiasco, followed by one of Sega's official social media people going on twitter and handwaving it away as "we all know Switch struggles with 3rd party games, maybe we should go back to making different versions for Nintendo like we did during the Wii days" just fuckin burns me.
Yeah, the blame there lands squarely on SEGA imo and not the devs so I am careful not to point fingers the wrong way.

Same applies to Big Red Button and Sonic Boom with SEGA fucking them over at the eleventh hour. What a horrible thing to do to a new studio trying to get their footing too.

This obviously isn’t a reflection of SEGAs developers though, and Sonic Team, though does bring me minor hesitation to Frontiers and reminds me to ground my expectations in case. All I can hope is that Colors died for Frontiers to fly, buying it more dev time.

There are too many Sonic games to remaster from this century. But If I had to pick, I'd say Sonic Riders. Such fun alternative to SSX and it was one of the rare 60 fps games on PS2. And it had the best sonic team ever: Jet, Wave and Storm!

Yeah, the blame there lands squarely on SEGA imo and not the devs so I am careful not to point fingers the wrong way.
I wouldn't be so sure.. I mean yeah, you could blame Sega for outsourcing the remaster instead of handling it themselves, but from what I've read about what that third-party (fourth-party?) dev actually did with Colors, I'd probably distribute some blame to them as well. Porting it to an engine that wasn't meant to be used in the way they used it (not sure what they did exactly but this is what I've seen repeated), using a program that automatically "upscales" 3D assets by bloating the polygon count and then using the resulting assets without optimising, that all kinda sounds like the devs (Blind Squirrel, I think) shoulda made some different decisions. Some different big decisions.

I wouldn't be so sure.. I mean yeah, you could blame Sega for outsourcing the remaster instead of handling it themselves, but from what I've read about what that third-party (fourth-party?) dev actually did with Colors, I'd probably distribute some blame to them as well. Porting it to an engine that wasn't meant to be used in the way they used it (not sure what they did exactly but this is what I've seen repeated), using a program that automatically "upscales" 3D assets by bloating the polygon count and then using the resulting assets without optimising, that all kinda sounds like the devs (Blind Squirrel, I think) shoulda made some different decisions. Some different big decisions.

That’s fair, I don‘t know enough on the situation to make the statement I did. Rather I should have said

Yeah, I <<will assume>> the blame there squarely lands on SEGA and not the devs <<until proven otherwise>> so I am careful to not point fingers the wrong way.

iirc their engine choice had something to do with cost / sounded like SEGA pushed for open source cheaper methods that didn’t pan out but I don’t recall my source or validity of the intent there

That’s fair, I don‘t know enough on the situation to make the statement I did. Rather I should have said

iirc their engine choice had something to do with cost / sounded like SEGA pushed for open source cheaper methods that didn’t pan out but I don’t recall my source or validity of the intent there
Yeah generally I would blame Sega corporate, as all the documentaries I've seen and articles I've read paint the company as being some phenomenal talent managed by very arrogant, micromanaging corporate punks. Hell, I just watched an hour-long deep-dive into the "dark years" of Sonic (basically everything from the Saturn gen through to PS3/X360) and it seems like management (even Naka-san, which breaks my heart) had a very toxic and even somewhat blind approach with the devs in the trenches.

If we're talking future Sonic compilations that I want, I'll take a Sonic Advance remaster. Even if it is mostly just for Advance 1 on my end! Add in Battle as a bonus game, potentially Pinball Party too, and you got a pretty solid collection of fan favorites. And Pinball Party.

I'm behind on news for this. So am I getting this right? Its:
  • Sonic 1 and 2 are pretty much those widescreen mobile versions Christian Whitehead made years ago that everyone wanted on consoles back then but never happened, with playable Knuckles in both and Sonic 2 has a new level that was originally planned back 1992 but cut.
  • Sonic CD is the 2011 version. Widescreen with playable Tails but no Knuckles. Will it have both soundtracks?
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a new widescreen version but it was done internally at Sega without Christian Whitehead? But there's no indication yet if it will have the Michael Jackson music, the PC music, or even new music from like Tee Lopes or someone?

I'd definitely pick this up. I'm worried about Sonic 3's music though. I hope it's not the PC version ost.

I'm behind on news for this. So am I getting this right? Its:
  • Sonic 1 and 2 are pretty much those widescreen mobile versions Christian Whitehead made years ago that everyone wanted on consoles back then but never happened, with playable Knuckles in both and Sonic 2 has a new level that was originally planned back 1992 but cut.
  • Sonic CD is the 2011 version. Widescreen with playable Tails but no Knuckles. Will it have both soundtracks?
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a new widescreen version but it was done internally at Sega without Christian Whitehead? But there's no indication yet if it will have the Michael Jackson music, the PC music, or even new music from like Tee Lopes or someone?

I'd definitely pick this up. I'm worried about Sonic 3's music though. I hope it's not the PC version ost.
Very, very close.
  • 1 and 2 are the Christian Whitehead (aka Taxman) versions you speak of.
  • CD is the widescreen version you speak of, also made by Whitehead in his retro engine
  • S3K is made without Whitehead, but was made using his engine, with his blessing, by the team (Headcannon) who helped Whitehead with 1, 2, and Sonic Mania. So it should be very close to the level of quality and attention to detail that the other ports are known for.
  • So far the Jackson/Buxer tracks from S3K have not been mentioned at all by official sources. We're still waiting for confirmation as to what to expect there.

Very, very close.
  • 1 and 2 are the Christian Whitehead (aka Taxman) versions you speak of.
  • CD is the widescreen version you speak of, also made by Whitehead in his retro engine
  • S3K is made without Whitehead, but was made using his engine, with his blessing, by the team (Headcannon) who helped Whitehead with 1, 2, and Sonic Mania. So it should be very close to the level of quality and attention to detail that the other ports are known for.
  • So far the Jackson/Buxer tracks from S3K have not been mentioned at all by official sources. We're still waiting for confirmation as to what to expect there.
Thanks! Fantastic to hear some of the team who helped with Mania is doing this version of Sonic 3.

It's a very nerdy way to subtly confirm the Drop Dash in the trailer. When the Sonic 3 proto was being demonstrated in 2019, Marble Garden is when the player first showed off the early iteration of the drop dash that build had. I'm sure they knew what they were doing.

Haven't played the SEGA Ages versions of Sonic 1 and 2, but for Sonic 3, I don't know if I'd have Drop Dash enabled (assuming it's toggleable); Insta-Shield is way too essential for my experience on that game.

It's a very nerdy way to subtly confirm the Drop Dash in the trailer. When the Sonic 3 proto was being demonstrated in 2019, Marble Garden is when the player first showed off the early iteration of the drop dash that build had. I'm sure they knew what they were doing.
100%

This sucks from a....preservation perspective. The games are usually dirt cheap on the platforms it is available on. The only potential casualty here is Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles music differences.

Really wish we knew the fate of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles OST for the Origins release to see what music Sega let stay in.

Last edited:
Sega are my favorite game makers of all time BY FAR, so to see what they are in the modern era is both unsurprising and genuinely sad to me.

The company of Comix Zone and Segagaga and Dynamite Cop and all sorts of weird shit and awesome arcade experiences is now the "flog Sonic to death" company that pulls moves like this.

Jesus Christ

3.6GB for the base game. 7.8GB for the full version.

For a collection of Genesis games, that's kinda... uh...
tumblr_p2p7r100Sn1w1kerio1_540.gifv

That is a complete joke. 3rd party publishers and developers really just don't give a shit about efficiency and compression at all these days.

the Digital Deluxe seems like uncompressed music files

the Sonic Spinball theme in its highest quality form
If that's the case then I accept (and humbly beg for a physical edition Sega my god did yall learn nothing from Sonic Mania? (actually what yall probably learned is that if you release digital only and then physical a year or so later Sonic fans will 100% double dip (and yes, I'm talking about myself)))

Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 is 6 GB and Legacy Collection 2 is 9 GB on Steam

not sure if they could be smaller on Switch

If that's the case then I accept (and humbly beg for a physical edition Sega my god did yall learn nothing from Sonic Mania? (actually what yall probably learned is that if you release digital only and then physical a year or so later Sonic fans will 100% double dip (and yes, I'm talking about myself)))

Whoah. The extremely elusive triple-nested parens

Wow, that's way too big for these games. It's gotta be because of audio files and cutscenes for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom