• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Origins releasing on June 23rd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cool! A Ubisoft chart for releases of 30 year old games that are available on every platform! That's a nope from me

Oh cool! A Ubisoft chart for releases of 20-30 year old games that are available on every platform! That's a nope from me

I know it looks silly, and some of the DLC stuff is, but it boils down to two versions: A cheaper one and a more expensive one with all the DLC.

I know it looks silly, and some of the DLC stuff is, but it boils down to two versions: A cheaper one and a more expensive one with all the DLC.
Still, I'm gonna die on the hill of "collections of old games don't need to be that pricey or need DLC in the first place". We live in a world where full-on remakes of Spyro and Crash (not to mention all the updated versions of old games that get released on Steam) were cheaper than a few old games that Nintendo or Sega put out in a new package.

Not yet, at least.

Edit: shit... That page literally said "Physical edition hinted" in the title a little while ago, and showed wording from the PS Store leak about physical editions. They changed it when the game was officially unveiled and removed those references. 😩
It was even in the URL: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ns-details-discovered-physical-edition-hinted
lmao that is extremely weird, no editors note or anything - yay for accountability in journalism

Still, I'm gonna die on the hill of "collections of old games don't need to be that pricey or need DLC in the first place". We live in a world where full-on remakes of Spyro and Crash (not to mention all the updated versions of old games that get released on Steam) were cheaper than a few old games that Nintendo or Sega put out in a new package.
Right??? Sonic Mania PLUS released for cheaper than the standard edition of this, and that was a physical edition of the game with all extra features and a nifty instruction manual and holographic slip cover. I'm sure the case could be made for "that was one game vs four," but yeah, Sega's pricing/content structure on this seems a little wonky after they knocked it completely out of the park with Mania.

I would be surprised to see an "Origins Plus" with physical down the line. Maybe even with Mania Plus bundled in too.

I'm hoping Nintendolife is right about the boxed release, hoping that that's the reason the Origins website lists Switch as "coming soon" without the option to buy yet, and hoping the physical edition will have all the content instead of having half the neat stuff licked behind DLC. I believe. 💙

Yeah, I gotcha. I brought up Colors because the exact same wording was on the fine print for that game as well and it turned out to be correct in the worst way. So I'm hoping it's just boilerplate in this case or, like @Phoenom suggested, they mean the combination of the two will be unavailable, not each feature.

Sorry yall, I'm actually still really loving everything I see, including those menu backgrounds!!!!!! I'm curious to see what the "music tracks from other Genesis titles" means.. like a jukebox mode for the main game, or just like a separate sound test/player that'll have a bunch of extra tracks? And from other Sonic games or from all sorts of Genesis titles?? This is so neat, I'm so excited. And landing just one week after my birthday. Sega loves me. 😁
Yea, I still remember getting burned on Sonic Mania back in 2017 (first world problems I know).

At the end of the day, I have access to Sonic games twenty different ways on digital platforms. If I am getting this collection, it has to be on a Switch cartridge.

Yeah, I gotcha. I brought up Colors because the exact same wording was on the fine print for that game as well and it turned out to be correct in the worst way. So I'm hoping it's just boilerplate in this case or, like @Phoenom suggested, they mean the combination of the two will be unavailable, not each feature.
Here's more reassurance :) - Whitehead himself confirmed these are using the Retro engine, same as Sonic Mania and the previous 1/2/CD ports.

Yea, I still remember getting burned on Sonic Mania back in 2017 (first world problems I know).
LOL I bought Mania three friggin times (Digital, physical Plus, then I let a friend borrow Plus but I wanted to play it again while it was gone so I bought digital Plus too), so that's the kind of goodwill they're messing with here. 😅

Made by a graphic designer who forgot the word design was in their title and went copy + paste on the spreadsheet spec from marketing, but replacing check marks with rings because graphics!
le barf

Here's more reassurance :) - Whitehead himself confirmed these are using the Retro engine, same as Sonic Mania and the previous 1/2/CD ports.

sonic-mania-adventures.png

So happy this has finally materialized! Can’t believe a retro release needed a version chart, it’s like a parody of the gaming industry.

Oh daaang

So now confirmed that Whitehead and Headcanon had their hands in this. The Mania team returns, yall!!!

So. DLC for this retro game compilation is...a choice. Letterbox backgrounds? Camera Control over the main island menus? Character animations in the menus? Why isn't that just...in the game? Feels like they were really stretching to sell the Hard Missions and additional music tracks (I assume this is relevant to S3K and its music rights hell, but it would be cool to see something more expansive), so they took out other things to pair it with.

That being said, there are a lot of interesting details in the trailer and online.
  • While the collection is an internal effort by Sega, these are further confirmed to be the mobile ports by Taxman and Stealth brought to consoles, plus a new S3K port done by a small team headed by Stealth.
  • Knuckles and Tails is a new pairing, you can't do that in the mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2.
  • Tails had a super form without the Flickies surrounding him in the S3K footage, closer to Super Tails from Mania. Does Tails get a distinct "Hyper" form now like Sonic and Knuckles do?
  • They didn't show Knuckles at all in any of the Sonic CD footage. Given that he wasn't playable in the 2011 port, it would have been nice to see him in a Sonic CD level, if only to just be sure that he's there.
Given the pedigree, the quality of the ports will be unquestionably good. If anything, it's the decisions made around the project by Sega that got me raising an eyebrow.

So. DLC for this retro game compilation is...a choice. Letterbox backgrounds? Camera Control over the main island menus? Character animations in the menus? Why isn't that just...in the game? Feels like they were really stretching to sell the Hard Missions and additional music tracks (I assume this is relevant to S3K and its music rights hell, but it would be cool to see something more expansive), so they took out other things to pair it with.

That being said, there are a lot of interesting details in the trailer and online.
  • While the collection is an internal effort by Sega, these are further confirmed to be the mobile ports by Taxman and Stealth brought to consoles, plus a new S3K port done by a small team headed by Stealth.
  • Knuckles and Tails is a new pairing, you can't do that in the mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2.
  • Tails had a super form without the Flickies surrounding him in the S3K footage, closer to Super Tails from Mania. Does Tails get a distinct "Hyper" form now like Sonic and Knuckles do?
  • They didn't show Knuckles at all in any of the Sonic CD footage. Given that he wasn't playable in the 2011 port, it would have been nice to see him in a Sonic CD level, if only to just be sure that he's there.
Given the pedigree, the quality of the ports will be unquestionably good. If anything, it's the decisions made around the project by Sega that got me raising an eyebrow.
Nope the music has nothing to do with S3&K, it’s all confirmed from 3D blast, spinball and Knuckles Chaotix(all games that should’ve been in the collection for that matter )

Nope the music has nothing to do with S3&K, it’s all confirmed from 3D blast, spinball and Knuckles Chaotix(all games that should’ve been in the collection for that matter )
DZjowxNU0AAnY-u.jpg

Sure. Okay. I guess that's fine and not totally superfluous. How exciiiiiting, yaaaaaaay.

I do not understand these decisions.

I'm so glad that relationship didn't fall apart after Mania. So glad. I can breathe easy regarding the quality of the core game here lol.
Yeah the game itself actually looks fantastic, and is even more of an effort than I expected. Also I just saw Sonic's social media manager tell a fan that she's "digging into the pricing thing" that fans are taking issue with, so at least the message is getting back to Sega that this is kinda not the best approach to that aspect of this reveal.

Just need a physical release confirmation at some point and I’m in.
Well, I'm very sorry to report:

Granted, "no plans at the moment" is pretty standard wording even when the truth is "it's in the pipeline but we can't announce it yet," so there might yet be hope. And FWIW fans are currently pummeling her with requests for a physical release so I'm sure that message is going up the flagpole at Sega.

It's just a bad chart. There are really two editions, base and digital deluxe which comes with challenge missions and some other unimportant extras for $5 more. And then some pointless cosmetic DLC and a more important "classic soundtrack" DLC which I assume is the MJ songs for 3&K because what else could music DLC for the Genesis games be.

Sweet! Love me some classic Sonic, especially Sonic CD which is my favorite entry.

Now, as someone who is a bit of an original aspect ratio snob, doesn’t having them 16:9 fuck with the intended design? I’m usually not a fan of games being given a 16:9 just because.

Also, even after explanation, the chart is still confusing me lol

Sweet! Love me some classic Sonic, especially Sonic CD which is my favorite entry.

Now, as someone who is a bit of an original aspect ratio snob, doesn’t having them 16:9 fuck with the intended design? I’m usually not a fan of games being given a 16:9 just because.

Also, even after explanation, the chart is still confusing me lol
In this case, 16:9 actually helps because you can see more of what's in front of you. And if you'd rather play in the original aspect ratio, that option is actually available.

And I think the thing that makes the chart hard to understand is the fact that all the extra individual things that come in the Deluxe are available separately as add-ons to the base game. So in order to show all that info, the chart has just a ton of stuff. The basics are:
  • a base version
  • a deluxe version with extra stuff, and
  • if you preorder either there's some in-game stuff that you get right off the bat (instead of having to unlock it in the game)

It's just a bad chart. There are really two editions, base and digital deluxe which comes with challenge missions and some other unimportant extras for $5 more. And then some pointless cosmetic DLC and a more important "classic soundtrack" DLC which I assume is the MJ songs for 3&K because what else could music DLC for the Genesis games be.
Yeah it’s getting blown out of proportion because the chart is shit design

That chart is hell when you realize there’s just 2 editions. So much needless formating
It's because you will be able to purchase the packs individually like with Monkey Ball and Sonic Colors.

- Are save states confirmed? I think they're in the 3&K Xbox ports from a decade ago and that was part of my interest in them. Difference between that and infinite lives being that you have control over where you start in the level.

-I may have asked this before, but does widescreen make these games easier than intended due to being able to see more of the playing field at once? If so, is that generally considered a good or bad change?

- Are save states confirmed? I think they're in the 3&K Xbox ports from a decade ago and that was part of my interest in them. Difference between that and infinite lives being that you have control over where you start in the level.

-I may have asked this before, but does widescreen make these games easier than intended due to being able to see more of the playing field at once? If so, is that generally considered a good or bad change?
save states aren't confirmed and are unlikely, but anniversary mode will save what level you start on like the existing mobile versions

easier in the sense that you get a little extra reaction time, but it feels very natural and i never really notice the difference. neither good nor bad imo, just... a thing.

I only played the widescreen Sonic CD, and I think it helps a lot. Doesn't feel nearly as cramped, and it's easier to see hazards coming. Plus the backgrounds and visual designs of the levels in these games are gorgeous, so more of that being visible is lovely.

Savestates are unlikely, mostly because they aren't emulated ports like XBLA. They're remakes in a different engine (same engine as the mobile ports and Mania). The save system of the mobile ports was generous, saving at every Act, but you're better off with SEGA AGES Sonic 1 and 2 if you want save states.

Widescreen good. They make the games easier in the sense that they give you more reaction time, but that just makes going fast more seamless. It's a fantastic change and it's hard to go back to the originals without it, but traditionalists have the 4:3 option if they want.

save states aren't confirmed and are unlikely, but anniversary mode will save what level you start on like the existing mobile versions

easier in the sense that you get a little extra reaction time, but it feels very natural and i never really notice the difference. neither good nor bad imo, just... a thing.
I only played the widescreen Sonic CD, and I think it helps a lot. Doesn't feel nearly as cramped, and it's easier to see hazards coming. Plus the backgrounds and visual designs of the levels in these games are gorgeous, so more of that being visible is lovely.
Savestates are unlikely, mostly because they aren't emulated ports like XBLA. They're remakes in a different engine (same engine as the mobile ports and Mania). The save system of the mobile ports was generous, saving at every Act, but you're better off with SEGA AGES Sonic 1 and 2 if you want save states.

Widescreen good. They make the games easier in the sense that they give you more reaction time, but that just makes going fast more seamless. It's a fantastic change and it's hard to go back to the originals without it, but traditionalists have the 4:3 option if they want.
Thanks all for your thoughtful replies! Sounds like widescreen will mitigate the mild difficulty of having level saves versus save states a bit. I think I'll roll the dice and go for this as my first experience with these games, though I may play S3&K before the other games since I've read the first game isn't necessarily the best to start with.

I'm conflicted. The pricing chart, the potential of 30fps on Switch and the lack of a physical release have soured me on this so far. I'll have to wait and see if I think this is worth it.

I'm conflicted. The pricing chart, the potential of 30fps on Switch and the lack of a physical release have soured me on this so far. I'll have to wait and see if I think this is worth it.
i'm curious where you're getting 30FPS from since mania already hit a solid 60 everywhere except for minor dips in the special stages, and this is running on that same framework

Honestly, I don't think "30 FPS on Switch" is a real concern. 3/4 of these ports run at a solid 60 FPS on 2013 era mobile phones, and Sonic Mania was a mostly solid if rushed port that only had minor hitches in the 3D Special Stages, which these games do not have to the degree of Mania. We'll be fine. The "4K and 60 FPS on PS/Xbox" blurb likely just means no 4K. At most maybe those 3D Menus don't go 60 FPS? Either way, the games will be fine.

Honestly, I don't think "30 FPS on Switch" is a real concern. 3/4 of these ports run at a solid 60 FPS on 2013 era mobile phones, and Sonic Mania was a mostly solid if rushed port that only had minor hitches in the 3D Special Stages, which these games do not have to the degree of Mania. We'll be fine. The "4K and 60 FPS on PS/Xbox" blurb likely just means no 4K. At most maybe those 3D Menus don't go 60 FPS? Either way, the games will be fine.
Yeah it is 100% just the "4k" part that's going to be absent on Switch.

.. I... wow... I can't believe, they actually did it! I'm disappointed with a collection of classic games that I know I already love to death.. they managed to f*ck up a simple little thing...

• Why you're stuck with infinite lives when playing in the 16:9 mode? Why not having an option to play with lives.. in fact, they are implemented in the Boss Rush mode, which runs in 16:9 (????)
  • The pricing is steep (especially in Brazil) and we have no physical version? They're gonna pull the Mania on us again, isn't it? (a physical version months after for double-dips);
  • Why there's a fragmented way to get this collection? why not have just one SKU with everything you need? Why they're selling superfluous stuff like camera control for the 3D islands in the background?
  • DUDE... they're selling music from games not present in the collection; Chaotix is the worst of them all, since the game have not be rereleased at all not even once! It'd be like Nintendo selling the Galaxy 2 soundtrack for 3D All-Stars lmao..
  • Knuckles simply isn't implemented in Sonic CD.. they bothered with all the presentation stuff, but they just couldn't do that. Not even asking for new areas for his moves.. since Sonic CD's labyrintic level design is already clunky enough (and Taxman didn't touch it up for Tails in 2011);

Without mention their silence over the Sonic 3 soundtrack.. I already have my assumptions, but they're not being clear up front and will be a massive blow for many at launch if they don't say it doesn't have the music you remember...

Sorry, but I sincerely thought I couldn't be disappointed with this, but they really did it..

I wasn't expecting to rant about these tiny details but those matter a whole bunch; The animations and the 3D islands are cute, but not worth for what they're giving us..

EDIT: Ah, great.. just learned the PC version has Denuvo; so there's that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom