• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Origins releasing on June 23rd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the outrage at the chart and fear of 30 FPS are misplaced concerns IMO. They are representative of poor design and copy on behalf of a marketing team - not reflections of the actual product. Hell, even the decisions which impact the product (scattered versions and DLC) are marketing fluff and generally unnecessary. As has previously been explained in this thread, the exclusive content is mostly superfluous cosmetic (skins / music to side games) or simple early access (eg. Mirror mode, which can be unlocked via traditional means).

• Why you're stuck with infinite lives when playing in the 16:9 mode? Why not having an option to play with lives.. in fact, they are implemented in the Boss Rush mode, which runs in 16:9 (????)
Is it confirmed that infinite lives is forced in 16:9 mode?
  • Knuckles simply isn't implemented in Sonic CD.. they bothered with all the presentation stuff, but they just couldn't do that. Not even asking for new areas for his moves.. since Sonic CD's labyrintic level design is already clunky enough (and Taxman didn't touch it up for Tails in 2011);

They haven't confirmed Knuckles is in CD or not yet. Let's not jump ahead. lol They'd have to make new sprites for him for Special Stage though, so I guess its a matter if they'd bother or not.

I agree about all the bad business decision. It's baffling.

I'm so glad that relationship didn't fall apart after Mania. So glad. I can breathe easy regarding the quality of the core game here lol.
Yeah, it never fell apart. People were just making wild assumptions for some reason.

• DUDE... they're selling music from games not present in the collection; Chaotix is the worst of them all, since the game have not be rereleased at all not even once! It'd be like Nintendo selling the Galaxy 2 soundtrack for 3D All-Stars lmao.

Eh, the galaxy 2 situation was a bit more offensive. That was leaving out a mainline title. This is music for spin-offs, so it’d be more like if 3DAS included music for NSMB / Mario Party / Mario Kart or what have you.

That said, it still sucks. They could have included emulated versions of those games, but I understand why a whitehead-style remake would be wayyy out of scope.

Yeah, it never fell apart. People were just making wild assumptions for some reason.
Wild assumptions in the sonic fandom? Well I’ll be.

Tho at the same time of all series we/they have a right to be reactionary lmao

I'm not too bothered with them leaving out other titles since the entire collection is a remaster collection. They aren't going to remake the spinoff games.

is this just another sonic collection?

why are people hyped about another sonic collection?
What if Super Mario All-Stars was widescreen and let you use each of Super Mario USA's characters in all the games, basically.
"Sega Ranked #1 Games Publisher"
Is Yakuza that good, or am I in the Twilight Zone?
The small print says "According to Metacritic, March 2021", so they had a good month.

Is it confirmed that infinite lives is forced in 16:9 mode?
It's part of the description;

Classic and Anniversary Mode
Choose to Spin Dash your way through the numerous zones in Classic mode with the game’s original resolution and limited lives, or the new Anniversary mode with unlimited lives and revamped fullscreen resolution.

They haven't confirmed Knuckles is in CD or not yet. Let's not jump ahead. lol They'd have to make new sprites for him for Special Stage though, so I guess its a matter if they'd bother or not.
They mention in the Japanese PR for Famitsu, apparently

Eh, the galaxy 2 situation was a bit more offensive. That was leaving out a mainline title. This is music for spin-offs, so it’d be more like if 3DAS included music for NSMB / Mario Party / Mario Kart or what have you.

That said, it still sucks. They could have included emulated versions of those games, but I understand why a whitehead-style remake would be wayyy out of scope.
My problem here is that Chaotix have not been rereleased in any capacity and they're selling its music. Galaxy 2 at very least was rereleased digitally on Wii U.. and by the way, NSMB games are mainline

i'm curious where you're getting 30FPS from since mania already hit a solid 60 everywhere except for minor dips in the special stages, and this is running on that same framework
Why the fuck would Sonic Origins be 30fps? It's 60fps. Don't be ridiculous. Even very old sony phones could run taxman's ports at 60fps.
Honestly, I don't think "30 FPS on Switch" is a real concern. 3/4 of these ports run at a solid 60 FPS on 2013 era mobile phones, and Sonic Mania was a mostly solid if rushed port that only had minor hitches in the 3D Special Stages, which these games do not have to the degree of Mania. We'll be fine. The "4K and 60 FPS on PS/Xbox" blurb likely just means no 4K. At most maybe those 3D Menus don't go 60 FPS? Either way, the games will be fine.
Sorry yall, I started it here:
KVl1Q3r.png

Lower framerate on the Switch for a 30-year old 2D pixelart game. 🙃
because of that bit in Origins' trailer's fine print which is the same wording Colors had on its trailers, and that game ended up being 30fps on Switch, so I got worried. But many users have pointed out that it probably means "the combination of 4k and 60fps" isn't on Switch, not that 60fps by itself won't be. They just worded it really wonky in the fine print.

I think this release is smart, especially to capitalize on the movie sequel doing well, but man, I don't know if I need to buy these games again. Like, I have them in so many places.

Plus, I kinda think that the M2 3D versions on 3DS are the definitive versions, at least for me.

If Chaotix were part of this release, as someone else was lamenting that it wasn't, I think I'd pull the trigger.

I hope that kids who see Sonic 2 in theaters or on Paramount+ and want to get into the original games will get a chance to play them, though. They're all wonderful and IMO Sonic 2 (the game) is a legit top ten platformer of all-time.

It's part of the description;

They mention in the Japanese PR for Famitsu, apparently

Oh damn. Weird. I can see why no Knuckles in CD because they'd have to get sprite artists to make the special stage sprites + having taxman program Knuckles in, but he is only really there just to update the engines to work on the collection.

Infinite Lives being forced on the other hand? Very very weird decision. I hope they make it optional.

Sonic CD is very cool, but don't play it like a normal Sonic game. It has a larger emphasis on exploration and less focus on speed. It's kind of a weird unique Sonic game despite it being a normal Sonic game on the surface.

I remember how much the addition of the spin dash changed the flow of gameplay in Sonic 1.. if they added the drop dash to the whole series, that's gonna be wild.

Looks like Drop Dash is most likely in:

See, that'd be cool by me if they came and said it's a toggle.. you can use freely if you want, but can play with Insta-Shield instead. But after how they dealt with the other features, I wouldn't be shocked if they reveal this is how it works on the 16:9 version and you can only use Insta-Shield on 4:3... SEGA can't be trusted. @_@

See, that'd be cool by me if they came and said it's a toggle.. you can use freely if you want, but can play with Insta-Shield instead. But after how they dealt with the other features, I wouldn't be shocked if they reveal this is how it works on the 16:9 version and you can only use Insta-Shield on 4:3... SEGA can't be trusted. @_@
We might be in luck:

Btw, Hard Mode and Mirror Mode is in the base game as unlockable features. The chart referring to them was only just "you unlock them from the start".

At least according to this tweet:

We might be in luck:

I can certainly understand why, but it very much sucks the main reason keeping Knuckles out of CD (officially) is because nobody felt like drawing more sprites for him, and his Mania sprite set was likely not an option to choose, either.

If this indeed a customization option, hopefully they patch the live system back in for launch as well;

Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 also had options for Elemental Shields iirc
Also now that you mention it, the drop dash and insta-shield were toggleable in Mania. So probably a near-sure thing they will be in Origins.

Btw can I just say how happy I am that this collection is generating so much conversation and excitement? 💙

Both the outrage at the chart and fear of 30 FPS are misplaced concerns IMO. They are representative of poor design and copy on behalf of a marketing team - not reflections of the actual product. Hell, even the decisions which impact the product (scattered versions and DLC) are marketing fluff and generally unnecessary. As has previously been explained in this thread, the exclusive content is mostly superfluous cosmetic (skins / music to side games) or simple early access (eg. Mirror mode, which can be unlocked via traditional means).
It's all pretty cynical but also not very smart? DLC for backgrounds... neat... But almost everyone will prefer 16:9 so will never use borders anyway? And music from Genesis Sonic spinoffs. Why not DLC for the MJ soundtrack of 3&K? Or rearranged music? We have YouTube if we want to hear the Sonic Pinball theme for some reason.

Wait what? Did they say they're changing the soundtrack for that game?
we have no idea yet. it's assumed that jackson's death led to the estate getting a bit more controlling about his work, and it seems like S3K might've been in the crosshairs, and that's without getting into hard times being something they may not have access to at all.

everyone's just speculating based on that, but we really have no idea.

Wait what? Did they say they're changing the soundtrack for that game?
Nothing concrete yet, but Sonic 3 has been in re-release hell for years because of the rights associated with around half the music in the game. There was a soundtrack in place before Michael Jackson and his team came in and began writing new tracks, and the assumption is that this collection finally came together because either Sega finally got the rights worked out OR they're going back to using the original music (which fans tend to call the "prototype" tracks, if you want to look them up).

But we don't know yet. There's a music box option as part of the DLC which a lot of people took to be related to this (which is part of why the conversation about these tracks has been churning) but it's been confirmed that it's music from other games in the Sonic series like Spinball and 3D Blast. So we still don't know what music is in the game.

I think it's more likely they're staying. Unless the prototype songs were finished beyond what we heard from the prototype leak. Some songs there felt unpolished compared to the rest of the soundtrack.

I said before the trailer drop, but it's better having Sonic 3 rereleased with the butchered soundtrack than not having it at all.. but it's something SEGA should had to clarify from the get-go, so there won't be confusion nor disappointment if the launch comes and music doesn't play how the vast majority of people remember.

TBH the prototype music is mostly fine. Carnival Night proto is better than the final version IMO

If I can share my opinion on these ports, it's cool that they exist for console and I'll get em on Switch. That being said, for PC, your best bet is still going to be the decompilations of Sonic 1, 2 and CD's mobile ports that can ported to anything if you get the data from the mobile ports alongside Sonic 3 A.I.R. You miss out on the missions and new cutscenes, but you got lots of modding options, and it's technically cheaper to get them all too (mobile ports are cheap to remove ads, and S3K is like 5 bucks on Steam).

If I can share my opinion on these ports, it's cool that they exist for console and I'll get em on Switch. That being said, for PC, your best bet is still going to be the decompilations of Sonic 1, 2 and CD's mobile ports that can ported to anything if you get the data from the mobile ports alongside Sonic 3 A.I.R. You miss out on the missions and new cutscenes, but you got lots of modding options, and it's technically cheaper to get them all too (mobile ports are cheap to remove ads, and S3K is like 5 bucks on Steam).
That does make me wonder if there will be a modding scene for Origins... I can see them being the focus since decomp requires a lot of steps just to play them. But I think Sonic 3 A.I.R. is solidified enough that it'll remain a big thing.

That does make me wonder if there will be a modding scene for Origins... I can see them being the focus since decomp requires a lot of steps just to play them. But I think Sonic 3 A.I.R. is solidified enough that it'll remain a big thing.
Unless the ports are a massive mess or there's a lot of work that needs to be done to bypass whatever extra material that SEGA has added, I would imagine we get one. Having the decomps makes 1, 2 and CD easier to understand, at the very least. But I agree - A.I.R. is big enough and easy enough to access that the modding scene for both can co-exist.

It's all pretty cynical but also not very smart? DLC for backgrounds... neat... But almost everyone will prefer 16:9 so will never use borders anyway? And music from Genesis Sonic spinoffs. Why not DLC for the MJ soundtrack of 3&K? Or rearranged music? We have YouTube if we want to hear the Sonic Pinball theme for some reason.
I imagine it went something like

executive: please section off content for these financial objectives
developer: but they won’t like that
executive: i didn’t ask your opinion
developer: fine - dumps pngs and mp3s and continues to use actual dev time on the core product

With Denuvo on the Steam version, modding may take a little while to catch on..

Took 2 years for them patch Denuvo out of Mania, iirc

Videos of all the island animations, and they aren’t floating in space! Lol

No your ears are not broken, these are background videos from the JP site haha

Last edited:
Sorry yall, I started it here:

because of that bit in Origins' trailer's fine print which is the same wording Colors had on its trailers, and that game ended up being 30fps on Switch, so I got worried. But many users have pointed out that it probably means "the combination of 4k and 60fps" isn't on Switch, not that 60fps by itself won't be. They just worded it really wonky in the fine print.
In that case, why not just leave out the 60fps part entirely? Maybe I'm just jaded after how Colors was handled, but I would like Sega to clarify this.

Btw can I just say how happy I am that this collection is generating so much conversation and excitement? 💙
As right as people are to be frustrated about some parts of this, I wish Nintendo would celebrate their series like this. I’ve said it about Generations before and I’ll say it again here. Of course, it may come at the expense of actual good new games for Sonic sometimes, but Nintendo has the resources to do both.

Connecting the games in a story mode with new animated cutscenes, 3D models of the islands of each game, mission modes, so on… these are all very cool things. 3D All Stars was such a puff of nothing.

In that case, why not just leave out the 60fps part entirely? Maybe I'm just jaded after how Colors was handled, but I would like Sega to clarify this.
"4K and 60FPS" just literally means it runs 60fps in 4k. That is something usually clarified in products.

Colors was a diff situation because it had graphical enhancements that'd affect the framerate. Origins does not have that.

That's what I thought. 😅

As right as people are to be frustrated about some parts of this, I wish Nintendo would celebrate their series like this.
Nintendo celebrates their series by continuing to release new, good entries in them.
I know you went on to say they have the resources to do both but I'm just being a butt 😅

KVl1Q3r.png

Lower framerate on the Switch for a 30-year old 2D pixelart game. 🙃
Yeah.
Because it totally doesn’t mean that the Switch won’t run at 4K60 but instead at native 60 FPS.
It totally means that it will run at 320p and 12 FPS with the ZX Spectrum color clash. Also, this is based on the Amstrad CPC version so no hardware scrolling.

I’m so confused. What is the name of the open world sonic game that is supposed to be releasing?

I ran Sonic Mania at 60 FPS on a $200 laptop, there's no way the retro engine remasters can't pull off 60 FPS on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom