• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Origins releasing on June 23rd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wait

Oh shit

What if they were able to use the same music but just not the woo's and yeah's that are in the music because of them being Michael's voice?

Holy shit, the release music might actually still be in, just without the vocal samples, and Jun could simply be repolishing those tracks to use other Genesis sounds in place of the vocals!

OH MY GOD

charliedayconspiracyboard.jpg
Cursed (blursed?) alternate universe where we got the opposite: the prototype tracks but with the current Sonic 3's instrumentation.

From Sonic Retro:

SEGA Sound Team​

The following people are listed under 'SEGA Sound Team' in the ending credits scroll. For more details, see #Background on SEGA Sound Team and Cube Corp.

Sound Special Thanks​

The following people are listed under 'Sound Special Thanks' in the ending credits scroll.

• Mayumi Nina Sakazaki (as "MRM") ― She was Michael Jackson's coordinator, although her role in Sonic 3 is unclear.
  • Cube Corp. ― Nagao confirmed that former Cube members Miyoko Takaoka and Masanori Hikichi contributed to the music.[4] Furthermore, Cube's old list of works not just included Sonic 3, but also confirms that they were responsible for composing eight of the game's tracks.[5]
  • Opus Corp. ― This credit was placed as Nagao was preparing the join the company during the development.
  • Masanori Nakayama (Studio Who)
  • Howard Drossin ― He would go on to contribute a few tracks for Sonic & Knuckles.

Just listening to the cut 1993 music, none of it sounds like Senoue, especially Ice Cap (Tomonori Sawada is seen to be the most likely choice). We only know that he did the bonus theme.

1993 Carnival Night is better.

Does this have both versions of Sonic CD? I actually like both soundtracks so would like to be able to switch it up.
It should. They didn't specifically say so, but they said it's the Taxman version of CD, which has included both OSTs in every prior release.

Does this have both versions of Sonic CD? I actually like both soundtracks so would like to be able to switch it up.
They’ve already confirmed Sonic CD has both soundtracks available, yes.m

The same interview also mentioned never before released content in the answer for the CD question; so dare I get my hopes up for the Redbook audio past themes?

Last edited:
A shame, but yeah if this means Sonic 3 + Knuckles sees proper releases going forwards then it's a worthy tradeoff.

This might be sort of a weird opinion, but ya know... If it does turn out to be that the proto tracks are used going forward, I mean to some it'll be a kick in the gut of nostalgia, I totally get it, but the MJ/Sonic3 connection has been such a huge urban legend in the fan community for so many years that I almost feel like getting the proto tracks now would be sort of like unlocking a part of gaming history. In a way?

I'll miss the original tracks, but I'm honestly pretty excited to listen to "finished" versions of those beta/PC tracks. It's like a window into a world where the MJ team tracks didn't happen, like the unfiltered Sega vision of Sonic 3, and there's something really neat about that.

This might be sort of a weird opinion, but ya know... If it does turn out to be that the proto tracks are used going forward, I mean to some it'll be a kick in the gut of nostalgia, I totally get it, but the MJ/Sonic3 connection has been such a huge urban legend in the fan community for so many years that I almost feel like getting the proto tracks now would be sort of like unlocking a part of gaming history. In a way?
That's exactly why I'm pretty excited about this development. I played my friends Sega Genesis growing up but the first way I owned and played S3&K was via the Sonic & Knuckles Collection on PC and those versions of the songs always fascinated me with how different they were (I didn't know what midi was when I was 10 lol)

So once again learning that those compositions were the actual originals and Sega actually cleaning those few tracks of this release is probably more important than just retaining the MJ sound team songs.

I get it though, nostalgia and what we really grew up with but you can just get this on PC and mod it in seconds and boom done.

We BETTER get a physical release next year SEGA.

So Ice Cap zone and Launch Base Zone music is the PC version? Man those are just bad :(
If they replace all the Jackson/Buxer tracks then it'll be Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, the miniboss theme, Knuckles theme, the competition screen, and the credits theme that get replaced. But not simply lifted from the PC version, they have Jun Senoue on hand redoing the music and touching it up some.

However, as pointed out by @TheCongressman, Katie said they can't use some "sounds" from the original, and that might mean they simply can't use certain samples (like MJ's woo's and stuff in the miniboss theme, for example), and they might be just replacing those vocal samples with other Genesis-accurate songs. Of course, Katie might've also meant to say "songs" and said "sounds" accidentally (she already took to twitter today to apologise for misspeaking and insinuating that Sonic Frontiers won't be at Summer Game Fest, so it's possible to goof a word during a stream), but there's still a possibility we get the same songs just without the vocals.

Either way, we only have two weeks before we find out.

Last edited:
I'll miss the original tracks, but I'm honestly pretty excited to listen to "finished" versions of those beta/PC tracks. It's like a window into a world where the MJ team tracks didn't happen, like the unfiltered Sega vision of Sonic 3, and there's something really neat about that.
Yessss that's what I'm feeling!

We BETTER get a physical release next year SEGA.
I asked Katie about that twice during the stream today but I got lost in the sea of chat. 😅

However, as pointed out by @TheCongressman, Katie said they can't use some "sounds" from the original, and that might mean they simply can't use certain samples (like MJ's woo's and stuff in the miniboss theme, for example), and they might be just replacing those vocal samples with other Genesis-accurate songs. Of course, Katie might've also meant to say "songs" and said "sounds" accidentally (she already took to twitter today to apologise for misspeaking and insinuating that Sonic Frontiers won't be at Summer Game Fest, so it's possible to good a word during a stream), but there's still a possibility we get the same songs just without the vocals.
That's exactly what Stealth's tweets above debunk. We're getting polished versions of the proto tracks; the final Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base and Competition menu themes you remember from the Mega Drive original are gone. Since this is 3&K Knuckles' Theme, the Mini-Boss theme and Credits theme would be gone anyway.

That's exactly what Stealth's tweets above debunk. We're getting polished versions of the proto tracks; the final Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base and Competition menu themes you remember from the Mega Drive original are gone. Since this is 3&K Knuckles' Theme, the Mini-Boss theme and Credits theme would be gone anyway.
Oh I took Stealth's tweets to just be reacting to what Katie said, like I was earlier today before Congressman pointed out the one word difference.. Does Stealth have actual info?
Is Stealth one of them there.. insiders?

Oh I took Stealth's tweets to just be reacting to what Katie said, like I was earlier today before Congressman pointed out the one word difference.. Does Stealth have actual info?
Is Stealth one of them there.. insiders?
I think you might be thinking of a different twitter Stealth.

This one was the lead dev on the 3&K port in Origins (and worked on the 1, 2 and CD remasters, and Mania with Taxman before), so I think he'd know what's going on with the music, lol.

I think you might be thinking of a different twitter Stealth.

This one was the lead dev on the 3&K port in Origins (and worked on the 1, 2 and CD remasters, and Mania with Taxman before), so I think he'd know what's going on with the music, lol.
* googles *

OH SHIT

HE'S HEADCANNON

Gotcha now. Gotchagotchagotcha.

Glad to get actual clarification before release. Again, I only said we don't know which compositions they would use, and now we know.

But, I will say, my least favorite aspect of the prototypes surfacing and now them using them in Origins: There's a sentiment I'm starting to see that somehow, the prototypes are actually the "original tracks", and that the MJ team tracks were like a false addition. As if they actually weren't the vision Sega wanted. Like, no, if there hadn't been legal issues, the PC version would have kept them, and they would be included in Origins.

I understand some people prefer the PC tracks as they grew up with them, and that's fine. But this whole thing is weirdly causing some people to create a false narrative that the release tracks didn't actually have the right to be considered the originals.

I guess you can say that your got your mind blown?

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
9e1bb4b6e05a3f404190eb96032b8669.gif

The music for the relevant Sonic 3 sections were not revealed yet, right? I only heard on what the new music entails, but not the actual track. In any case, given how Sonic 3 PC is the first version of Sonic 3 I have heard, I prefer those themes.

Thank you for reading.

The music for the relevant Sonic 3 sections were not revealed yet, right? I only heard on what the new music entails, but not the actual track. In any case, given how Sonic 3 PC is the first version of Sonic 3 I have heard, I prefer those themes.

Thank you for reading.
The tracks from the prototype can be found in this playlist:

You won't really see much of a difference until you get to Carnival Night and from then on the Zone themes are all different. Since Senoue is polishing them to bring the sound more in-line with the rest of the OST I won't say to expect Origins' tracks to be exactly the same as these, but these tracks are the basis for what they're using.

The tracks from the prototype can be found in this playlist:

You won't really see much of a difference until you get to Carnival Night and from then on the Zone themes are all different. Since Senoue is polishing them to bring the sound more in-line with the rest of the OST I won't say to expect Origins' tracks to be exactly the same as these, but these tracks are the basis for what they're using.

What I meant is the music as played in Sonic Origins. I know there's a stream but I don't know if they played the music, or if the players ever reached the later Sonic 3 zones to confirm.

That is, unless said stream (or an official video of Sonic Origins' Sonic 3 being played) really played the music from the Sonic 3 PC/Prototype music.

Thank you for reading.

What I meant is the music as played in Sonic Origins. I know there's a stream but I don't know if they played the music, or if the players ever reached the later Sonic 3 zones to confirm.

That is, unless said stream (or an official video of Sonic Origins' Sonic 3 being played) really played the music from the Sonic 3 PC/Prototype music.

Thank you for reading.
Oh, I see! The stream only went through the first zone of each game, so nothing that would've had changed music was covered. And there have been no releases of the Origins tracks, so we're really just waiting for the release to hear the final version.

Speaking of SiIvaGunner, they uploaded a High Quality Rip of the Lego Dimensions Ice Cap theme in Sonic 3 and it's actually really good.

If they replace all the Jackson/Buxer tracks then it'll be Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, the miniboss theme, Knuckles theme, the competition screen, and the credits theme that get replaced. But not simply lifted from the PC version, they have Jun Senoue on hand redoing the music and touching it up some.

However, as pointed out by @TheCongressman, Katie said they can't use some "sounds" from the original, and that might mean they simply can't use certain samples (like MJ's woo's and stuff in the miniboss theme, for example), and they might be just replacing those vocal samples with other Genesis-accurate songs. Of course, Katie might've also meant to say "songs" and said "sounds" accidentally (she already took to twitter today to apologise for misspeaking and insinuating that Sonic Frontiers won't be at Summer Game Fest, so it's possible to goof a word during a stream), but there's still a possibility we get the same songs just without the vocals.

Either way, we only have two weeks before we find out.

I just hope they sound closer to the original tracks than the prototype tracks on PC. Launch Base and Ice Cap sounds too happy

I just hope they sound closer to the original tracks than the prototype tracks on PC. Launch Base and Ice Cap sounds too happy
It sounds like they're polished versions of the prototype tracks. We can probably expect changes to instrumentation, tempo, balancing and maybe minor changes to the melodies. If you want an idea of what to expect, check this: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Sound_Differences (it has prototype versions of tracks that did make it to final, so you can compare those).

I would still expect Ice Cap to be peppy, though. I'm not a fan either, but it is what it is and I'm curious to hear these polished tracks.

Come to think of it, I don't think that's in? Unless it's a secret unlockable for classic mode.
it's not like the CRT filter was heavily advertised for Mania, so there's a good chance it's still there and just tucked into a menu somewhere

Any word on a physical release? I want to play this but I’d rather wait for a hard copy.
No word yet, beyond the Sonic social media team stating they saw the requests for a physical release and sent them up the flagpole at Sega. That doesn't sound like much but that's exactly how we got Mania's physical release so there's hope, just wouldn't expect it to be soon.

I’m really looking forward to this. No qualms double dipping w/physical if it comes to that. I’ve still got Mega Collection (and the DS Sonic collection lol) for the original MJ tracks at least

No word yet, beyond the Sonic social media team stating they saw the requests for a physical release and sent them up the flagpole at Sega. That doesn't sound like much but that's exactly how we got Mania's physical release so there's hope, just wouldn't expect it to be soon.
I appreciate the info all the same!

So is there really no option to enable finite lives in widescreen mode? That's honestly a bit disappointing to me if that's the case.

Still looks like a great collection, I just wish that this option was included.

For anyone interested who may not be buying the game on Switch, here is the trophy/achievement list for the collection:
That honestly seems like a fairly easy platinum, depending on how hard it is to get S ranks in the missions. Nice.

Also the game is now taunting me on my PS5, preloaded but inaccessible.

I wonder when the embargo is? I am dying to hear the newer versions of Carnival Night, Icecap and Launch Base that Jun Senoue and others were able to make.

Edit: Embargo lifts TODAY

GameXplain has what we've been waiting for:

Last edited:
reviews are out

Oooh the missions look awesome. Very sonic generations-style of reusing the levels in smart ways.

I wonder when the embargo is? I am dying to hear the newer versions of Carnival Night, Icecap and Launch Base that Jun Senoue and others were able to make.

Edit: Embargo lifts TODAY

GameXplain has what we've been waiting for:

Man, I need longer snippets of those to get a proper feel for them, but from that video the only one I feel is a straight downgrade is Icecap. Oh well, I'd still rather have the game with changed music than not have it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom