• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

I'm almost at the end of Sonic Frontiers.

I am very glad that the final titan wasn't the actual final boss because that was, uh, pretty underwhelming.

Is it as underwhelming as the true final boss being a big moon being that hacking mini game you did like four times before? I dunno, this feels like...a game, haha.
I wouldn't say underwhelming, but definitely weird and unexpected. Halfway through it I just started laughing because it's like the most batshit old-school-Sega thing I've seen in a Sonic game in decades.

I mean ever since Adventure 1 you had Super Sonic be the big setpiece for the final boss, so in a game where you're Super Sonic for every boss, how do you top that for the final? Sonic Team said "fuck it, let's do something weird and have good music laid over the top" and I absolutely love that.

I mean I wouldn't want them to do it again, bit still 😅

I wouldn't say underwhelming, but definitely weird and unexpected. Halfway through it I just started laughing because it's like the most batshit old-school-Sega thing I've seen in a Sonic game in decades.

I mean ever since Adventure 1 you had Super Sonic be the big setpiece for the final boss, so in a game where you're Super Sonic for every boss, how do you top that for the final? Sonic Team said "fuck it, let's do something weird and have good music laid over the top" and I absolutely love that.

I mean I wouldn't want them to do it again, bit still 😅
More than anything, it's very funny. Like, okay, we have Super Sonic fights. They're a core part of the loop. Let's not do a Super Sonic fight again, though. Let's do...uh...that shooter hacking min igame we worked on? Sure, throw that in. Or maybe they had the shooter final boss first, were like, "We need to teach this mechanic so it doesn't come completely out of nowhere, huh?" and thus we get those four hacking mini games. It feels notable since the game doesn't treat most of its other mini games like that.

So I finished Sonic Frontiers. 100%. And by 100% I don't just mean I got the Platinum Trophy. I did basically everything. Every Cyber Space level (plus all missions). Every mini boss I could find defeated (I beat all the types but I don't know if I beat every single individual one). All Memory Tokens lying around the map, every single little one. Fishopedia completely cleared, all Egg Memos purchased, all stats maxed out.

My feelings on Sonic Frontiers are the same as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I like Sonic Frontiers, but I do not love it. It's captivating enough to 100% clear for me, but it has issues that hampered the experience, some of which came down to the 100% but others of which seem more baked into the game.

Cyber Space is still the game's weakest aspect, the movement feels off there and I'd rather play any of the original levels from the original games over their Frontiers counterparts. I think there are too many collectibles strewn out across the map that end up having little impact, especially when the game lets you buy them easily with the hundreds of easy tokens from the fishing mini game or just...random enemy drops sometimes? The movement is mostly good but it has these small moments of jank that aren't enough to call the movement bad on their own but do add up over time, especially with how automated a lot of segments can be. And ultimately I wish the level design leaned more into platforming around the islands and their terrain instead of blocky, high tech platforms that give way for very usual Modern Sonic boost pads and springs and homing attack chains. Also, I don't have much to say about the combat other than the fact that I maxed out my skill tree like halfway through the game and didn't really learn most of the advanced combos!

But I did really enjoy the characterization and writing, which is the best it's been...probably ever in a Sonic game, and it did really help push me through the game. Music is great as always, and there's still something inherently fun about controlling the speedy Sonic through these big areas, even with the jank. On that note (hot take incoming), Rhea Island might be my favorite segment of the game? It's not perfect, with a huge penalty for falling from the towers, but it felt focused. No collectibles everywhere, still had some freeform aspects in how you can tackle the towers in any order, and each tower segment built upon the mechanics presented in the game, even had some decent 2D segments.

I'm interested to see where things go next, but I'd like to see a more freeform take on the open zone concept. Maybe a few smaller and more focused areas as opposed to the big ones we have here, less of an emphasis on island-specific collectibles and the sheer number of collectibles, combat can be take it or leave it, and less automation. Heck, maybe rethink Sonic's movement away from the boost era mechanics, too. There's something here but it needs some iteration to match the highs of the writing.

To close...so which appearance of Sticks the Badger makes her canon? The mobile game you can't play anymore or the crossover sports titles that take place in the real world and features the Mario cast?

To close...so which appearance of Sticks the Badger makes her canon? The mobile game you can't play anymore or the crossover sports titles that take place in the real world and features the Mario cast?
First of all, blown away that you 100%ed it. Seriously impressive.

To the quoted part, at this point Sonic Team stating that that "everything is canon" when asked about comics, shows, and games, is what makes her canon. 😅

First of all, blown away that you 100%ed it. Seriously impressive.

To the quoted part, at this point Sonic Team stating that that "everything is canon" when asked about comics, shows, and games, is what makes her canon. 😅
Waiting for Mario to end up in one of these mainline Sonic games...maybe if they went Nintendo exclusive again, lol. In my dreams!

Been making my way very very slowly through this game and at first I thought it was quite bad but I have to say it's grown on me though and now I'm enjoying it a decent amount even if there are still a quite a few things that frustrate me about it.

Also I don't know if other Sonic games are like this but the cutscenes in this game are just bizarre, like genuinely some of the strangest dialogue I've ever seen in a game. I'm just left dumbfounded whilst watching and wondering if an alien wrote it or something haha.

Been making my way very very slowly through this game and at first I thought it was quite bad but I have to say it's grown on me though and now I'm enjoying it a decent amount even if there are still a quite a few things that frustrate me about it.

Also I don't know if other Sonic games are like this but the cutscenes in this game are just bizarre, like genuinely some of the strangest dialogue I've ever seen in a game. I'm just left dumbfounded whilst watching and wondering if an alien wrote it or something haha.
What's your experience with the Sonic franchise as a whole? A lot of the dialogue are callbacks to previous games.

I found the Sonic Spinball mini-levels to be a great little throwback and quite easy. I don't think I am that great at pinball, either. I am sad to hear that people found it frustrating.

They just made me long for a modern Sonic Spinball.

I think most of the mini-game/mini-level stuff was fun, honestly. A couple times, early on, I wished I had a bit more direction. The only one that stymied me at all, apart from the True Final Boss killing me a few times right toward the end, was Bridge the Gap. I had a very hard time getting the timing on that right. It was the hardest thing in the game, IMO.

i’m taking it so incredibly slowly with Frontiers. But every time I play it, I have a great time. I’m getting near the end of the second island so there is a lot of game left, but so far, I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by this game.

I have the first two islands completely cleared now, and I’m starting the third. I am really enjoying this gameplay loop. So much so that I think I’m gonna go for the platinum. The trophies don’t seem ridiculous, and the game is just so darn fun that it would almost be a shame not to go for it.

If you had told me last summer that Frontiers was going to be this good, I don’t think I would have believed you.

I have the first two islands completely cleared now, and I’m starting the third. I am really enjoying this gameplay loop. So much so that I think I’m gonna go for the platinum. The trophies don’t seem ridiculous, and the game is just so darn fun that it would almost be a shame not to go for it.

If you had told me last summer that Frontiers was going to be this good, I don’t think I would have believed you.
It's a simple plat. I got it, and I only get plats when a) I enjoy the game and want to play past the credits, and b) the list isn't full of dumb stuff or has any online-only trophies.

3-6 is a terrible stage, probably the worst so far. most are ok to pretty good, but this was just awful

i finally got all the challenges done, the S wasn’t even the hardest part, it was the 30 rings that kept tripping me up. when i finally managed it I actually had beaten the S time by 25 seconds.

Holy fuckin music to my ears

Machine translation:
Of course I understand the benefits of boost. Please be assured that we will also experiment with the coexistence of boost and spin dash. However, I also have a feeling that I want to challenge the level design without boosts like the ADV series. After all, the ADV series is a legend

That's the director of Sonic Frontiers, saying he would like to try level design without boost, to make it more like the Adventure games. Now I'm convinced Sonic Team hears my prayers. 🙏

I've said it before but I could really see Frontiers mimicking the progression of the Genesis series, where the first game is a bit wonky but a great proof of concept that shows the team what does and doesn't work, and then the second one is where everything suddenly gets really good.

I swear, if post-Naka/Ohshima Sonic Team has finally found their sea legs, I'm gonna be so damn happy.

The game would be almost perfect if jumping didn’t eliminate all your speed. You could be going mach 1, but as soon as Sonic’s feet leave the ground, you grind to a halt.

The game would be almost perfect if jumping didn’t eliminate all your speed. You could be going mach 1, but as soon as Sonic’s feet leave the ground, you grind to a halt.

Hopefully in the next game they will fix this so Sonic keeps his momentum whenever he jumps and lands like in the 2D games.

Frontiers is a fantastic foundation to build the next game on (if they don’t go with a boost game again)

I love the different vibe Cristina's voice brings to this song, holy shit:

I've got everything done on Chaos Island except for the map. How can I complete the story quests, the side stories, find every cyberspace portal, and beat the Titan and not have uncovered the whole map? I'm honestly just gonna look at a map online to find the rest of the challenges. What a pain that place is. Tons of forced 2D sections, lots of little islands that are tricky to reach without looking up how to get to them, and two flying guardians that trigger fights way too often. Hopefully the rest of the game isn't quite so bad in terms of design.

I've got everything done on Chaos Island except for the map. How can I complete the story quests, the side stories, find every cyberspace portal, and beat the Titan and not have uncovered the whole map? I'm honestly just gonna look at a map online to find the rest of the challenges. What a pain that place is. Tons of forced 2D sections, lots of little islands that are tricky to reach without looking up how to get to them, and two flying guardians that trigger fights way too often. Hopefully the rest of the game isn't quite so bad in terms of design.
I actually went back and 100% the game in the past week or so and there is one challenge that you can only do when it's nighttime (which is kinda annoying). Once you start it it's easy like all the others.

Chaos Island I didn't mind the 2D sections at first but during my 100% cleanup I got tired of them lol. So I installed a mod that makes the vast majority of those forced 2D sections remain in 3D!

not sure i agree with color grading changes but whew im excited to get this on pc down the line

I also prefer the original color palette. I think it looks so otherworldly despite seemingly being in the same "world" of Sonic and friends. Only issue really is Kronos, Rhea and Ouranos share too many aesthetics.

how does the starfall roulette work? are you supposed to collect the stars to get the roulette to stop? does the color of the stars matter?

I’m twenty hours in and i have no idea how this mechanic works.

how does the starfall roulette work? are you supposed to collect the stars to get the roulette to stop? does the color of the stars matter?

I’m twenty hours in and i have no idea how this mechanic works.
You collect the stars to add more spins to the roulette. You can stop the roulette with up on the dpad.

...it's a weird way to do a clean slate for whatever island you're on. I mostly ignore it.

I like being able to get fishing coins in a way other than finding them in the overworld, but there was no need to wrap it around one of the worst aspects of BotW.

I like being able to get fishing coins in a way other than finding them in the overworld, but there was no need to wrap it around one of the worst aspects of BotW.
It needs to be more frequent too, if it’s meant to be a good way to get purple coins. In twenty hours I think I’ve only seen it five or six times.

Posted in the news thread but I did revisit the Starfall Islands a bit yesterday! Just to find all the collectable music tracks though; not interested in going through and S ranking the new challenge modes for now.

I'm more interested in the datamining discoveries being made related to Update 2 and 3 though, to be honest, lol.

Bumping the ST because the first batch of DLC is out! Who’s going back to the Starfall Islands?
I played a bit today, got all of the music and did a few attempts at the challenges. The music collection was...nothing special. As an addition to a new or in-progress file, they're neat, extra collectibles scattered around the map that give an instant reward. A few of them are found in neat places, but a lot were pretty easy to collect - some right along the critical path.

I found them best used on Rhea Island - because that island otherwise has no collectibles and just the goal of scaling the towers, the music notes gave me more reason to engage with the level design. The highlight there was navigating around a lake and using the sunken ruins as platforms. Meanwhile, Chaos Island's music notes, while probably fine as a secondary collectible in an incomplete file, felt like busywork thanks to how annoying the island can be to navigate.

I actually got all the songs last night except one on Chaos island (of course lol)

It's between the main center island and one of the smaller ones, is it suspended in air? I couldn't see it when grinding in 2D.

I'm a sucker for the Sonic music and I really like the selection they chose. His World E3 version? Frog Forest?? Some of the actual remixed songs in Mania? Oh and then Mirage Saloon Act 2...just great. Pretty surprised there's no music for Sonic 1 and 2 though, huh.

Nice little update, I'll definitely do the cyberspace stage challenges so I can unlock one of the new things they added to the game.

I actually got all the songs last night except one on Chaos island (of course lol)

It's between the main center island and one of the smaller ones, is it suspended in air? I couldn't see it when grinding in 2D.

It's near the enterance of the underground cave path you take to get to get to the Red Emerald during the main story. I got stumped on that one for awhile too thanks to said area not being represented on the map, lol. There's one on Ares also placed in the underground section, but that one is easier to figure out from the map for sure.

I'm not totally shocked at the absence of Sonic 1 and 2 music, since there's an extra licencing hurdle involved (Sega do not own those soundtracks, Masato Nakamura does), but it is a shame regardless.

It's near the enterance of the underground cave path you take to get to get to the Red Emerald during the main story. I got stumped on that one for awhile too thanks to said area not being represented on the map, lol. There's one on Ares also placed in the underground section, but that one is easier to figure out from the map for sure.

I'm not totally shocked at the absence of Sonic 1 and 2 music, since there's an extra licencing hurdle involved (Sega do not own those soundtracks, Masato Nakamura does), but it is a shame regardless.
That makes so much sense. Ok thanks, I'll definitely look for it later today.

And yeah Nakamura does own those tracks but I guess it just surprised me that Sega didn't bother at all when Green Hill and Chemical Plants' aesthetics are all over the game. It's not a big deal though because we got some lesser used songs instead which is refreshing.

Refreshing to see them just openly acknowledging the dataminng; but at least we have confirmation that the Spin Dash is still on the way for Update 2!

Wish they'd stop simply considering the Chao Garden and just go ahead and add it though.

Refreshing to see them just openly acknowledging the dataminng; but at least we have confirmation that the Spin Dash is still on the way for Update 2!

Wish they'd stop simply considering the Chao Garden and just go ahead and add it though.

CHAO!!!!

I am really curious to see what the inclusion of the Spin Dash adds to the game. I can immediately think of some 2D Cyberspace levels where it would be nice to have an attack that's on the move - the removal of the attack on the boost is sorely missed in remade boost levels. In the Open Zone, though? Not quite sure, depends on the implementation.

I am really curious to see what the inclusion of the Spin Dash adds to the game. I can immediately think of some 2D Cyberspace levels where it would be nice to have an attack that's on the move - the removal of the attack on the boost is sorely missed in remade boost levels. In the Open Zone, though? Not quite sure, depends on the implementation.
I'd really just want them to add the spindash to improve on the 2D sections more.

If they implement the spindash from Adventure 1...... I'll be over the moon! It would be great in 2D and 3D. Can spindash up mountains with ease.

DLC2 also added… momentum settings?!

It’s breaking my mind that this game gives you so much control to customize the experience. I’m sure that also breaks the balance no? I guess it may not matter in the open zones

Ooh, even more music was added?! Do we have a full list of the added songs yet?

Ooh, even more music was added?! Do we have a full list of the added songs yet?
No new classic music; the new jukebox tracks are Frontiers' own music (besides the few that were already available).

Update 3 leaks are still going:

Quoted by: Tye
I can't believe what has happened from Sonic Lost World to Sonic Frontiers.

I can't wait to get off work and try everything. I hope the birthday stuff lasts past June 23rd.

So there is new music, but it plays under "default" with the birthday celebrations going on. I've heard tunes from Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Advance, Sonic R, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Colors Ultimate, Sonic Free Riders.

It's like a continuous song playlist. Pretty cool!

Haven't played this yet but based on the Update 3 leaks, it sounds like waiting is the way to go. Seems like it's going to a substantial update to the game.

Haven't played this yet but based on the Update 3 leaks, it sounds like waiting is the way to go. Seems like it's going to a substantial update to the game.

Yeah at this point if you don't even have the game since last November definitely wait.

Back
Top Bottom