• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

I just finished the ps5 version again. I love this game. Tried disabling most of the UI this time, looks amazing and it plays so great.

So yesterday I tried the demo. It lasts for 15 minutes. I put it down after 5.
But it made me extremely excited for a sequel.

I think I have never experienced such a moment of "I'm not having a good time at all but holy shit, the potential" in a very long time. My experience with the demo was miserable. It does not look good on Switch, the level design feels dull, both in the levels as well as in the open world, and combat was extremely unintuitive. But I quickly fell in love with the actual idea in and of itself.

I'm certain that the game gets better over time. For what its worth, it looks great on other platforms (Why the hell does the demo opens in a dreary, rainy setting?) and has a banger soundtrack. But for me, it's just so much missing on a fundamental level. No matter how much I adore the idea, I feels like the execution lacks too much.

But - If there ever is a sequel coming, fleshing out, iterating, improving on, and addressing flaws, we might be looking on something seriously impressive.

I think I have never experienced such a moment of "I'm not having a good time at all but holy shit, the potential" in a very long time. My experience with the demo was miserable. It does not look good on Switch, the level design feels dull, both in the levels as well as in the open world, and combat was extremely unintuitive. But I quickly fell in love with the actual idea in and of itself.

I'm certain that the game gets better over time. For what its worth, it looks great on other platforms (Why the hell does the demo opens in a dreary, rainy setting?) and has a banger soundtrack. But for me, it's just so much missing on a fundamental level. No matter how much I adore the idea, I feels like the execution lacks too much.

But - If there ever is a sequel coming, fleshing out, iterating, improving on, and addressing flaws, we might be looking on something seriously impressive.
You're not wrong. It's basically the type of Sonic I've been begging for for years (an open, just-run-around-fast game like they tried to make with Adventure 1 and then immediately stopped trying to make) and even I took a long time to click with it. So you're right that it gets better later on (and the sun does eventually shine in that dreary island, just as you get to the place where it opens up and you can see really far the clouds will part and the sun will come out), but it's just too bad that it takes a while to start clicking.

And yeah, the combat is atrocious.

It's very rough around the edges, and the controls/physics in the cyberspace stages is very weird and unintuitive, but I eventually got the hang of it. What I love about Frontiers is it felt like Sonic Team finally trying to make more like a passion project than a product, if that makes sense. You can tell they're trying, they're experimenting, for the first time in several console generations.

So I guess I agree that I would love to see how the sequel shapes up.

You're not wrong. It's basically the type of Sonic I've been begging for for years (an open, just-run-around-fast game like they tried to make with Adventure 1 and then immediately stopped trying to make) and even I took a long time to click with it. So you're right that it gets better later on (and the sun does eventually shine in that dreary island, just as you get to the place where it opens up and you can see really far the clouds will part and the sun will come out), but it's just too bad that it takes a while to start clicking.

And yeah, the combat is atrocious.

It's very rough around the edges, and the controls/physics in the cyberspace stages is very weird and unintuitive, but I eventually got the hang of it. What I love about Frontiers is it felt like Sonic Team finally trying to make more like a passion project than a product, if that makes sense. You can tell they're trying, they're experimenting, for the first time in several console generations.

So I guess I agree that I would love to see how the sequel shapes up.
This. So much this. They really went from the absolute worst 3D Sonic to the best in over a decade. Yeah it's janky as heck but gosh darn its got soul, easily my favourite since Adventure 2.
I'd love if the sequel had adventure style stages instead of/as well as cyberspace, they just felt like an interruption of the fun rather than something worth doing.

I'd love if the sequel had adventure style stages instead of/as well as cyberspace, they just felt like an interruption of the fun rather than something worth doing.
Same. I think they were trying to copy BotW's shrines a bit too hard, but if each island just had fewer portals but the portals led to actual action stages, that woulda been awesome.

Also if they had better physics. 😅

I really need to grab this soon… but I’ve been waiting for it to hit $20 digitally

Oh hey I think I’ll come back to the game for this one. After getting the plat, none of the updates have felt substantial enough to justify turning it back on. But I think this’ll do the trick.

Hopefully they’ve got a moment that can match Undefeatable.

Although that’s one of the most epic moments in all of gaming so chances are slim.

how-they-gonna-reference-dark-gaia-but-not-have-sonic-v0-5y0txori51ea1.png

I'm playing through for the first time.
Never suspected that Tails was into Powerscaling!

I'm very excited to hear his opinion on Yonko vs Admirals, how far Goku is from Beerus, and whether or not Hisoka can beat Chrollo

Okay, so.

This was unexpected.

I dunno, I just couldn’t let go of this game and this idea and concept. It kept being in the back of my head. Despite me not enjoying the demo whatsoever, I kept coming back to it in my mind. Then I saw it being 50% off. So I bit on it.

And uh, I got past the initial demo phase when the game fully opens up and it’s…. great? Like? What?

It feels like now, the game is allowed to properly breathe and let its core loose, the ideas are allowed to sing more. The core philosophy of “open zone” and the way that it works - with these spliced-up micro-challenges scattered across a huge map is actually, once it sinks in, really cool. The combat is growing on me as well.

It’s just a really neat feeling to zoom around at a ridiculous speed, clearing swathes of the land in mere seconds, and try to manage to nail a micro-challenge along the way.

Don’t get me wrong, the Switch port is still abysmal. But somehow, I manage to enjoy it for what it is.

My biggest gripe is still how the game occasionally gets dull and rainy and grey. It shouldn’t have a weather system and day-and-night cycle at all. It should just be blue skies.

Okay, so.

This was unexpected.

I dunno, I just couldn’t let go of this game and this idea and concept. It kept being in the back of my head. Despite me not enjoying the demo whatsoever, I kept coming back to it in my mind. Then I saw it being 50% off. So I bit on it.

And uh, I got past the initial demo phase when the game fully opens up and it’s…. great? Like? What?

It feels like now, the game is allowed to properly breathe and let its core loose, the ideas are allowed to sing more. The core philosophy of “open zone” and the way that it works - with these spliced-up micro-challenges scattered across a huge map is actually, once it sinks in, really cool. The combat is growing on me as well.

It’s just a really neat feeling to zoom around at a ridiculous speed, clearing swathes of the land in mere seconds, and try to manage to nail a micro-challenge along the way.
Yessssss!! Welcome!! 🙌
Don’t get me wrong, the Switch port is still abysmal. But somehow, I manage to enjoy it for what it is.

My biggest gripe is still how the game occasionally gets dull and rainy and grey. It shouldn’t have a weather system and day-and-night cycle at all. It should just be blue skies.
Don't worry, it was found through datamining that in several ways Sega downgraded the PS/XB versions after the Switch version was optimized, like they were going for parity or something? I've seen comparisons and yeah, the Switch port ain't great, but I played it on Xbone and it was still only 30fps and had goofy pop-in. The Switch version isn't as bad as you might think. Not relatively, anyway.

A lot of confusion is kicking in after a while. Lots to keep track of.

Are the rings used for anything other than life? And are there any ways to remove the dumb birthday UI?

Can someone explain this game to me like I'm five years old, haha.

A lot of confusion is kicking in after a while. Lots to keep track of.

Are the rings used for anything other than life? And are there any ways to remove the dumb birthday UI?

Can someone explain this game to me like I'm five years old, haha.
Max rings give you a boost, but I'm not sure they do anything else, but I could be misremembering
I'm pretty sure you can remove the birthday stuff from the main menu, I lasted maybe 3 minutes with it on 😂

This is looking better than expected...again! Guess I'll hop into this tonight for sure. Maybe.

If not then the weekend.

Last edited:
Even though I ended Frontiers with a bad impression, I'm curious to see the extra playable characters;

I hope they don't just play as reskins of Sonic, using Boost and Homing Attack :X
Welp...

Not quite there (which I'm glad, at least), but I did spot Knuckles doing a Homing Attack and Amy basically boosting..

sigh ... I guess it can't be helped...

Quoted by: Tye
This is a good reason to get back to the game. I sort of fell off hard on the third island, I think?

Welp...

Not quite there (which I'm glad, at least), but I did spot Knuckles doing a Homing Attack and Amy basically boosting..

sigh ... I guess it can't be helped...
Boosting makes sense to give them with these big open zones, and the Homing Attack is an ability they’ve all had ever since Sonic Heroes and Sonic Advance 3, so what’s the problem with that? It looks like they all have their own unique moves, too.

Homing Attacks also make it easier for you to more accurately hit enemies - doing so at speed in a massive 3D environment would likely be tricky otherwise.

Edit: And to be frank, alternate characters having Sonic's abilities as a base which is then supplemented with their own quirks is as classic an approach as you can have.

Okay, so.

This was unexpected.

i am so glad i didn't give a kneejerk response to your initial post haha. i was going to say to keep going. it's truly some of the best Sonic stuff in a really long time. and i haven't even played it since last year. i'm really glad you gave it another shot!

Boosting makes sense to give them with these big open zones, and the Homing Attack is an ability they’ve all had ever since Sonic Heroes and Sonic Advance 3, so what’s the problem with that? It looks like they all have their own unique moves, too.
I'd prefer them to not share anything mechanically with Sonic, even it that means navigating to terrain and fighting enemies a bit more tough.

Though I guess you can't have everything when this game clearly was designed for just Sonic and the other characters are just extra freebies.

Woo thread title update. My duties as OP are fulfilled.

This looks great by the way. I’m definitely gonna have to play it.

Imo the one mechanic they shouldn't share with Sonic is boosting. The superspeed is like his whole thing, so giving it to everyone seems a bit cheap and weird to me 😅

I don't necessarily disagree, but traversal in this game is pretty reliant on boosting around - you take that away and traversing as these characters will be more of a slog. IMO that isn't the worth having the characters be super distinct in terms of mechanics - this is how we got to the "shitty friends" bollocks in the first place.

I do think there's a debate on whether Frontiers - or any future 3D Sonic - should be so reliant on boosting for traversal. But as the game currently stands, I think depriving the other characters of the boost would have been a bad idea.

I do think there's a debate on whether Frontiers - or any future 3D Sonic - should be so reliant on boosting for traversal. But as the game currently stands, I think depriving the other characters of the boost would have been a bad idea.
Honestly I'd be okay with lowered reliance on boosting (and was honestly hoping it'd be gone in Frontiers at first 😅)

Imo the one mechanic they shouldn't share with Sonic is boosting. The superspeed is like his whole thing, so giving it to everyone seems a bit cheap and weird to me 😅
The entire cast being fast is when multiple characters in gameplay works best. Sure I think some differences in speed are totally fine, hell, Boost was introduced alongside a character slower than Sonic, Blaze, but I think sharing the same basic mechanics works. It's barely a boost in this game, it's more of a run button. Sonic's getting more stuff this update like the Rocket Boost, so it's not like it'll be a Sonic 2 situation where he's basically just "the character with no unique abilities whatsoever"

Okay, I know this is off topic, but I got to ask. What is with that avatar? Is this based on a bet because I've seen a few other users on here with the exact same avatar.
Yeah, a bet as to whether or not Prime 4 would be in the September Direct. My first ever avatar bet 😅

Does anybody have a link to the soundtrack of this DLC? Am really curious to see if we got any new vocal theme ( please, a new Titan theme)

So I put this game down during island three on switch, and planned to return to PC for replay and completion. Then once the scope of the DLC became clear, I chose to wait for it to release. Tonight I’m gonna jump back to switch just to get some experience with the new characters… since I didn’t realize I’d have to replay everything just to get to the new content on PC lol

Any setting recommendations with all thy added in the earlier patches? I saw “maintain boost in jump” and added that, but Im curious what the fan fave is for everything else

So how does this update work? Can you play the new content without having beaten the game? I ask because I’m only on the third island ‘cause I mostly watched my partner play through the game last year since I was really busy with work at the time and then I never got around to finishing the game myself since I had already seen the entirety of it from them playing. I need to get back on that…lol.

Also, why are there so many game updates today?! There’s this, plus the Samba de Amigo: Party Central K-Pop Music Pack DLC, an F-ZERO 99 update, and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror was just added to Game Boy Advance - Nintendo Switch Online, too. I’m overwhelmed here!! lol

Sounds like deceleration is wonky with the new characters btw, from what I'm gathering on reddit. May be best to keep it at 0.

(RE: my above question about ideal control settings lol)

Yo wtf they fixed it

They... they actually fixed it!!

They fixed jump momentum!!!!

by making it player-customizable I mean

And even made it an option to be able to maintain boost speed while jumping!!!!

What the actual hell!!! The game feels right now!! The jumping in 3D and 2D both feels RIGHT finally!!! When did they do this??? Why did they wait until I was done with the game to do this????? I'm blown away!!!!!!! Gotta go so fuckin fast yall (while jumping)!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yo wtf they fixed it

They fixed jump deceleration!!!!

What the actual hell!!! The game feels right now!! The jumping in 3D and 2D both feels RIGHT finally!!! When did they do this??? Why did they wait until I was done with the game to do this????? I'm blown away!!!!!!! Gotta go so fuckin fast yall (while jumping)!!!!!!!!!
Lots of fun stuff in this update, the music is awesome love the vibes it gives off. They made Amy so fun to control. Played a bit of knuckles he’s fun too.

They fixed the jumping for 2D? Amazing!

Lots of fun stuff in this update, the music is awesome love the vibes it gives off. They made Amy so fun to control. Played a bit of knuckles he’s fun too.

They fixed the jumping for 2D? Amazing!
Yep!! The jump deceleration slider affects both 3D and 2D momentum. I only tried a little bit of 2D but with it turned down to like 20 or so it feels much more like older Sonic games. It's oddly more controllable, as your momentum isn't just cancelled out when you jump anymore (which is notable because I feel like the reason they made Sonic slow down with his jumps was to make precise platforming feel more controlled but instead it made him handle unpredictability (to me anyway)).

Last edited:
I liked the main game a lot more than I thought I would but this final DLC is a bit of a disaster quality-wise to me sorry. Messing around with the new characters aside I realistically do not see how a kid could reasonably go from what's a fairly easy journey to suddenly a kaizo rom hack that's meant to represent the game's new ending.

Just a bizarre situation where they more than over-corrected the complaints that the main game was too easy and made something I think will be totally impenetrable to the core audience of these games.

Yo wtf they fixed it

They fixed jump momentum!!!!

I'm confused, is this not from DLC2? I haven't played DLC3 yet.

Exciting to hear this final DLC is actually pretty challenging. We're fully back into the Sonic Unleashed DLC era!

Back
Top Bottom