• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Sonic-Frontiers-Title-Screenshot.jpg

Release Date: 11.8.22
Developer: Sonic Team
Publisher: SEGA
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, PC
MSRP: $59.99

Nintendo eShop - PlayStation Store - Xbox Store - Steam

Download Sizes:
  • Switch: 10.4 GB
  • PS4: 23.09 GB
  • PS5: 24.72 GB
  • Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X: 26.86 GB
  • PC: Minimum 30 GB

REVIEWS
  • Metcritic 72 (currently PS5 reviews only)
  • OpenCritic Fair

Performance

Trailers

Story

Comic Prologue

---------------------------------------------

Sonic_impatient.gif

I think I’ll pick this up later this week, expectations are in check but at least there’s some promising sounding things in there.

You diving in tomorrow choco?
Not yet, I'm gonna try to commit to my backlog and I'm actually still waffling on whether to get the game on Xbone or Switch. I'm having such a hard time finding anything at all about XB performance and holy cow if Drake comes out next year and Frontiers gets patched to run even better on that than on Xbone I'm gonna flip and laugh so I'm kinda wishy washy on which way to lean which is sorta funny to me considering an incredibly important US election is occurring on the exact same day 😅

Ugh I need to purchase this for my flight tomorrow but the eshop maintenance keeps getting extended

I'm in!!

Going too fast!!!

But seriously, the comment from linemann made me worry about switch perfomance but so far it's been a good experience, no frame drops and no drastic pop-in of things, hell there is a lot shown in screen considering the speed of the game (there is pop in for grass and that. With that said the resolution does take a hit, and the font size being kinda small for some texts.

Hoping Best Buy actually has my copy available for me in the morning… Very excited to play this, especially hearing that the story is actually really good for once and that they’re finally caring about Sonic lore again.

Managed to play an hour, getting the hang of the mechanics, the exploration is fun and the combat too. Managed to beat the first big enemy. Also love that the quicktravel are literally rails that allows you to quick travel to other zones. Also the cyberspace levels look very nice.

Not the biggest Sonic fan, but it might be my favorite Sonic game ever. It’s very ugly in docked mode, but it’s fun to play regardless. I wanted to just go through the main story, but ended up 100% the first two worlds, because it has a bit of a Mario Odyssey vibes with little secrets and stuff to do everywhere in the levels. Might end up buying it on PS5 just to show support for the game.

Alright Sonic Frontiers is fun. I might actually do Big the Cat's fishing minigame a lot more than expected too lol.

Drop dash makes me happy.

How is the game running in handheld mode? I'm a little disappointed to know that the game runs at 30fps on Series S.

How is the game running in handheld mode? I'm a little disappointed to know that the game runs at 30fps on Series S.
It's definitely a bit soft. Not really surprising I reckon, don't think anyone actually expected it to run at native resolution. Frame rate is good. Like pretty solid. Seems to be universal. They don't look anything close to "beautiful", but they run fairly well.

I thiiink I won't buy this but might try it if it comes to Game Pass or PS+. How is the Switch version looking?
It holds up 30fps quite well, but you gotta accept some substantial visual downgrades in the "open zone" areas (as well as some aggressive pop-in, but from what I've heard it's the case on all versions of the game, even PS5)

IMG-7622-2.jpg

IMG-7628.jpg

IMG-7629.jpg

God I miss the soundtracks on Unleashed and Generations.

I don't mind the music from the recent Sonic games, but it doesn't hit the same for me.

managed to get to what I hope is almost to the end of the second zone. so far I'd describe this as BotW x Yookah Laylee
I'm with this, but adding Tony Hawk Pro skater.

Some of the stages are brutal. How the hell are you supposed to get S rank with time in 1-2. I had trouble with 1-1 but thats because this was the first sonic game I've played in decades, and managed to get 1-3 easily. It's just 1-2 kickin my ass.

Also does anybody knows the difference between the action mode /speed mode at the beggining? Wanted to try the other one and I remember it says you can change it but I can't find the option (unless it's unlocked later).

Oh wow, supposedly the series s version doesn’t have a 60 fps mode.

That makes me even happier with my switch purchase plus PC down the line.
It was a mistake to see the comments in reddit and DF, the switch hating discourse is getting ridiculous:
  • All versions have heavy pop-in
  • PC version had some issues
  • Series S only have 30fps
Of course it switch fault, it's holding an entire generation and shouldn't have been made

managed to get to what I hope is almost to the end of the second zone. so far I'd describe this as BotW x Yookah Laylee
Hahaha, no way

I just came off of a replay of banjo and revisited yooka in the process and was thinking the same!

The Egg Memos from the fishing minigame really got the deep cut references, I'm pretty impressed.

Also does anybody knows the difference between the action mode /speed mode at the beggining? Wanted to try the other one and I remember it says you can change it but I can't find the option (unless it's unlocked later).
it's just different defaults for the sliders which affect sonic's controls. for some reason you can't choose either preset but you can adjust them to your whim

it's just different defaults for the sliders which affect sonic's controls. for some reason you can't choose either preset but you can adjust them to your whim
Ah that explains it, I was going crazy trying to find a secret menu or something lol

My copy arrived!

But so did God of War and that’s gonna have to take precedence. Sorry Sonic!

Played it for an hour.
The second cyberspace stage took me between 15 and 20 minutes to get the S rank. I needed to not only improve my execution but also to optimize wich paths to take multiple times. Getting it felt very satisfying, this is a good sign.

Played it for an hour.
The second cyberspace stage took me between 15 and 20 minutes to get the S rank. I needed to not only improve my execution but also to optimize wich path to choose. Getting it felt very satisfying, this is a good sign.
This is always my favorite part of 3D Sonic games

Played it for an hour.
The second cyberspace stage took me between 15 and 20 minutes to get the S rank. I needed to not only improve my execution but also to optimize wich paths to take multiple times. Getting it felt very satisfying, this is a good sign.
That stage for some reason has such a tight S Rank lol. The other ones seem easier.

This is always my favorite part of 3D Sonic games
The short length of these stages suddenly feel warranted.

In a way it reminded me of getting platinum relics in Crash games, but on a shorter yet faster pace. Very good early impressions.

That stage for some reason has such a tight S Rank lol. The other ones seem easier
I would dare to hope they didn't just make a mistake and accidentaly had the S rank recquirement of this particular stage harsher than normal. If I have to wait until the end of the game to get a thrilling difficulty like this I'll be heartbroken.

Last edited:
Feedback seems to be positive, even with midling reviews. Is it devicive or just an okay game?
It's divisive. I was saying in the other thread I've seen reviewers sharing impressions ranging from "please don't be offended by my review, Sonic fans" to "this is the best 3D Sonic game they've ever made."

It has more 90s and high 80s than many of the modern 3D games, but some really low scores, too. So the aggregate averages out to a sort of middle ground.

Back
Top Bottom