• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

I didn't mention this before but on the second island (enemy interaction spoiler): There's an enemy that will just JACK your emerald and start flying away! Holy crap.

Uhhhhh holy fucking shit that Titan fight at the end of the first island.

I really do love this game but for the love of Christ Sonic Team please fix the controls for the Cyberspace levels. Turning in midair is horrific. As are the propeller bounce pads; throughout 2-6, I feel like at the last bounce, the game always turns Sonic away from the ground so I have to try my hardest to turn around and hope I don’t kill myself. Thank goodness these levels are so short and sporadic.

Otherwise, the open zone stuff is honestly fantastic and I love it to pieces.

I've got a review copy from SEGA hours after the embargo lifted.. (still gonna write my review though..). I'm on the second island and.. I have mixed feelings; Sure, I do agree it's >at very least< a refreshing take on the series, after so many linear and automated Boost games.. even though I liked Lost World out of the gate much more and thought it was a perfect new formula to work with.. but both the Open Zones and the Cyberspace have so many severe issues that I can't realistically get out without a sour mouth..

Gonna have to elaborate further later, especially because I need the full picture, but this little sample of the game is mostly confirming all my worries I had pre-release..

Do you have to get all the S-ranks and quest checkmarks within the cyberspace levels? If you do, I’ma give up now because I’m frustrated as hell.

Open world is a fun play ground, but cyberspace sticks me in endless looping tutorials while they load. I’m not sure what the point of getting stars in the tutorial segments is so I just quit ASAP and then you have these levels whose clear times/ring goals were clearly set by a sadist. Why can’t the whole game just be running around the giant playground and styling on giant robots

any good tutorials out there on how to not suck horribly at this game? 😅

Do you have to get all the S-ranks and quest checkmarks within the cyberspace levels? If you do, I’ma give up now because I’m frustrated as hell.

Open world is a fun play ground, but cyberspace sticks me in endless looping tutorials while they load. I’m not sure what the point of getting stars in the tutorial segments is so I just quit ASAP and then you have these levels whose clear times/ring goals were clearly set by a sadist. Why can’t the whole game just be running around the giant playground and styling on giant robots

The only thing you get from them are keys, and you can also get them from treasures and enemies (and there are plenty of them actually). I only played them to unlock fast travel.

You can turn off the constant tutorial segments in the options. There were way too intrusive for me.

Okay, I beat the first island and holy shit, this game is really cool! And the story is getting very interesting and I’m already super intrigued about where this game is going… Finally, a new Sonic game that actually cares about the lore again!

For real, it’s been ages since we’ve had a Sonic game that actually cares about the series’ lore. The interconnected lore between Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, Battle, Advance 3, and Chronicles has always been the height of the series to me, but that was all essentially thrown out afterwards… First Sonic ‘06 messed stuff up by totally disregarding the established lore of Rush, and then from Unleashed onward the connections between Sonic games pretty much entirely disappeared for the most part, and then we got stuck with absolutely awful writers from Colors until now…

But finally, after all these years, it looks like we FINALLY have another Sonic game that isn’t afraid to take itself seriously and actually respect and acknowledge the series’ lore while creating a new story that connects to previous games and also respects the characters and portrays them with the right characterization, and I am absolutely here for it!! I can’t wait to see more of this game’s story because I’ve only heard good things about it from Sonic fans, and it certainly seems to be going somewhere very interesting…

Been super busy lately, but I expect to get it on Steam by the end of the month at the very least. Really enjoying everybody's impressions. Can't wait to try the game myself.

The only thing you get from them are keys, and you can also get them from treasures and enemies (and there are plenty of them actually). I only played them to unlock fast travel.

You can turn off the constant tutorial segments in the options. There were way too intrusive for me.
Okay, that helps a lot, thank you both. I managed to clear all the missions on 1-1, and between that and just clearing the following levels I’ve gotten enough vault keys to keep going. Also figured out that I could tweak Sonic’s handling in the options, which is fantastic.

I’m still not sure I’ll ever S-rank 1-2, though. Holy shit people are not kidding when they say that clear time is brutal! The best I can do is 45 seconds and I’m not sure where I can shave off another second.

i think I like this game

and then we got stuck with absolutely awful writers from Colors until now…
You mean the guys from Happy Tree Friends? 😅

Yeah I'd expect a tonal shift if you go from there to one of the long-time main writers from the comics. What's especially cool is that since the comics were never referenced in the games, having Flynn come in to write is the first time the games might seem to acknowledge the comics even exist (even if it's more behind the scenes than in the content of the actual game).

I'm looking forward to this.

I’m still not sure I’ll ever S-rank 1-2, though. Holy shit people are not kidding when they say that clear time is brutal! The best I can do is 45 seconds and I’m not sure where I can shave off another second.
I just moved from that in my third try. The thing is so far untill island 2 I havent found any other level that is that brutal like 1-2. Hell I thought I messed up on 2-2 because I fell in a pit and still managed to get S rank with 10 seconds left.

I just moved from that in my third try. The thing is so far untill island 2 I havent found any other level that is that brutal like 1-2. Hell I thought I messed up on 2-2 because I fell in a pit and still managed to get S rank with 10 seconds left.
that's just weird. why would they make it so easy to get S ranks, except for one level?

So did they intend it as a skill gate, or is it just a mistake, or something nobody picked up on because they all got really good at the level? How odd.

So did they intend it as a skill gate, or is it just a mistake, or something nobody picked up on because they all got really good at the level? How odd.
it's still obtainable so i'm just going to assume it's a tuning oversight. it's extremely tight timing, but you have the tools to pull it off without doing anything too weird.

for the record, here's an S rank run of 1-2

first of all, it looks like a lot of fun. this is exactly what I think of when I think of 3D sonic the hedgehog. but second, this run looks really good, and they only beat the S rank time by half a second. seems like folks aren't messing around when they talk about this stage being tough.

first of all, it looks like a lot of fun. this is exactly what I think of when I think of 3D sonic the hedgehog. but second, this run looks really good, and they only beat the S rank time by half a second. seems like folks aren't messing around when they talk about this stage being tough.

YEah as @Boyfriend mentioned, it can be obtained, but the main difference from the other stages is that this one doesn't leave any room for mistakes. In other levels sometimes I slow down or stop to get a red coin and S-Rank is still managable, 1-2 you forgot to push the sprint button for 1msec? B RANK

Wtf, I can't believe I'm actually loving a new 3D Sonic game. I'm probably even going to platinum it. Like, it's seriously been so much fun for me.

Before my gaming passions became what they are now, Sonic was my #1 obsession. I'm sure many others can relate. I held on fast through Shadow the Hedgehog and 06, playing those games all the way through because I wanted to believe my favorite series was still good. It was around Black Knight that I finally gave up, and the boost games never did it for me.

But this is so freaking good so far. I can feel my cynicism towards Sonic slowly give way to just pure fun.

I'm gonna savor this feeling while it lasts, cause who knows if this is a good indicator for the future of the series.

Last edited:
You mean the guys from Happy Tree Friends? 😅

Yeah I'd expect a tonal shift if you go from there to one of the long-time main writers from the comics. What's especially cool is that since the comics were never referenced in the games, having Flynn come in to write is the first time the games might seem to acknowledge the comics even exist (even if it's more behind the scenes than in the content of the actual game).

I'm looking forward to this.
It seems the comics (well, the new IDW series) actually are referenced in the game (not anything really significant to the plot from what I’ve seen, though), so that’s interesting. Personally, I’m not sure I really like that, since the comics—like the cartoons, movies, etc.—are supposed to be an entirely separate continuity…but maybe that’s not the case with the IDW comics now?? I’ve not actually read the comics myself yet, but I did hear that they take place after Sonic Forces and the games are actually canon to the comics for once, so maybe this new comic can actually be canon to the games as well…? I dunno, I still worry that that will lead to things getting messy later on, but we’ll see I guess.

It seems the comics (well, the new IDW series) actually are referenced in the game (not anything really significant to the plot from what I’ve seen, though), so that’s interesting. Personally, I’m not sure I really like that, since the comics—like the cartoons, movies, etc.—are supposed to be an entirely separate continuity…but maybe that’s not the case with the IDW comics now?? I’ve not actually read the comics myself yet, but I did hear that they take place after Sonic Forces and the games are actually canon to the comics for once, so maybe this new comic can actually be canon to the games as well…? I dunno, I still worry that that will lead to things getting messy later on, but we’ll see I guess.
The Archie comics were a separate continuity but once the IDW stuff came along Sonic Team began to say that all the expanded media is canon in one way or another. Obviously with stuff like the movies and the Boom series I wonder how they reconcile that (unless Sonic Prime is their "multiverse" explanation to magically make all the different continuities canon).

But also the IDW comics and characters tend to get a lot of attention during the official Sonic livestreams, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're leaning into at least the comics having some tie with the games. Though if we start getting fan-favorite comic characters like Tingle and Whisper in the games, that would surprise me.

Yeah I’m just not gonna bother even continuing to try. I followed this route and can’t break 1:06, and even that makes my hands hurt like hell. Stupid arthritis and lack of skills

Okay, apologies for whining and posting so much in this thread, but…

it paid off

UCFZjnN.jpg

You have almost no margin for error. you would not believe how hard I fist pumped when I got this screen

Okay, apologies for whining and posting so much in this thread, but…

it paid off

UCFZjnN.jpg

You have almost no margin for error. you would not believe how hard I fist pumped when I got this screen
Doing the impossible, and it was only for .31 milisseconds! nice.

How, the fuck, does one consistently perform the Wild Rush move. My brain reads the instructions as press RB then X, but sometimes Sonic just sidesteps.

How, the fuck, does one consistently perform the Wild Rush move. My brain reads the instructions as press RB then X, but sometimes Sonic just sidesteps.
It has certain timing but you need to wait until sonic sidestep animation is in motion. If you do it to quickly it won't trigger. I usually wait till the middle of the animation and press X

It has certain timing but you need to wait until sonic sidestep animation is in motion. If you do it to quickly it won't trigger. I usually wait till the middle of the animation and press X
That makes sense. I'll try it once I get back to my house. thanks!

Okay the second Titan was not as cool as the first but the sense of scale was still awesome. Really love how they're treating these bosses this time around.

I think if I can get away with it I'm going to not do many of the cyberspace levels. I'm getting plenty of keys on the islands and I'm not really feeling them. 2-7 was annoying.

I’ll probably grab this (and God of War) around Christmas. It does sound like it’s a lot of fun and I’ve been wanting a good new 3D Sonic game for a long time. (I actually liked Shadow more than Heroes, but that was the last one I liked until Generations)

BTW this game is totally going have DLC right? Don't think the extra sections is only for the preorder / digital dx version items
I think they mentioned in an interview pre-release that they had no plans for DLC (I could be misremembering though)

but would be the first 3D mainline game (sans Colors) that wouldn't have... '06, Unleashed, Generations, Lost World and Forces all had some kind of DLC.

I think they mentioned in an interview pre-release that they had no plans for DLC (I could be misremembering though)

but would be the first 3D mainline game (sans Colors) that wouldn't have... '06, Unleashed, Generations, Lost World and Forces all had some kind of DLC.
Yeah, I mentioned because the space in the extra section is big, and the game also seems kinda designed for that, I can see them adding extra islands for more challenges or cyberspace levels

outburst.png

I guess sonic finally achieved love after all those years.
I was wondering randomly today how the user score actually looks but didn't check.

Really cool, also Sonic discussion with the faults of the game and all has been much healthier since we're finally going into a good direction.

I’m only an hour or so in, but I’m already in love.

I grew up on SATAM and Sonic X - so I’m totally here for the dire/anime tone.

Also, anyone remember these initial “Next Gen Sonic” screenshots for 06 before it was released?
sonic-2006-tgs-2005-theme-discovered-sonic-retro-sonicretro-org_977523.webp

This, combined with that Sonic 06 “real-time day and night cycle” Demo they showed off (and was ultimately not in the game) - feels like SEGA came full circle with Frontiers and wanted to do what they planned on years and years ago.

Also, I fought a huge robot boss in a vast open field as the sun set and fought it in the nighttime - not gonna lie, it made me emotional. It just felt like I was truly playing the Sonic game I always wanted to experience since watching Sonic defend Mobius with the Freedom Fighters. Just felt awesome!

I've got a review copy from SEGA hours after the embargo lifted.. (still gonna write my review though..). I'm on the second island and.. I have mixed feelings; Sure, I do agree it's >at very least< a refreshing take on the series, after so many linear and automated Boost games.. even though I liked Lost World out of the gate much more and thought it was a perfect new formula to work with.. but both the Open Zones and the Cyberspace have so many severe issues that I can't realistically get out without a sour mouth..

Gonna have to elaborate further later, especially because I need the full picture, but this little sample of the game is mostly confirming all my worries I had pre-release..

same here
I scored it a 7/10

good approach to refresh the series, good ideas here and there, nice graphics, but
clunky controls, collisions, frame rate/pace and camera issues and so on

but: nice OST, good story imho, and when it works, it works well!

I’m only an hour or so in, but I’m already in love.

I grew up on SATAM and Sonic X - so I’m totally here for the dire/anime tone.

Also, anyone remember these initial “Next Gen Sonic” screenshots for 06 before it was released?
sonic-2006-tgs-2005-theme-discovered-sonic-retro-sonicretro-org_977523.webp

This, combined with that Sonic 06 “real-time day and night cycle” Demo they showed off (and was ultimately not in the game) - feels like SEGA came full circle with Frontiers and wanted to do what they planned on years and years ago.

Also, I fought a huge robot boss in a vast open field as the sun set and fought it in the nighttime - not gonna lie, it made me emotional. It just felt like I was truly playing the Sonic game I always wanted to experience since watching Sonic defend Mobius with the Freedom Fighters. Just felt awesome!
I had that as my wallpaper on my pc before Sonic 06 released. ANd when it did released, it was panned so I never bought it and never even tried it. I avoided several Sonic games before and after this one, but I have my copy of Sonic Frontiers waiting for me whenever I get time to play it.

Loving the replies I see here :)

same here
I scored it a 7/10

good approach to refresh the series, good ideas here and there, nice graphics, but

Personally, not feeling the soundtrack.. the genres doesn't do it for me; Techno on Cyberspaces, ambient quiet music on the Open Zones and... for lack of better term... trash rock on the Titan bosses. Nothing really that strike my fancy... at least no so far.

That aside.. a 7/10 is looking pretty likely for me too. The MC score everyone was so defensive about seems right. It just hurts a bit more because SEGA priced this as a full blown AAA game, and when it's clearly not.. lacks polish and guidance in a lot of areas.

Third Island now, by the way. Should be done soon.

It just hurts a bit more because SEGA priced this as a full blown AAA game, and when it's clearly not.. lacks polish and guidance in a lot of areas.
I actually deciced to buy the game because this time Sega did offered regional prices for it (they aslo did this with Yakuza LaD).

I actually deciced to buy the game because this time Sega did offered regional prices for it (they aslo did this with Yakuza LaD).
Here in Brazil, the game is costing 300 Reais, across all platforms.. which technically is the literal price convertion of 60 Dollars on the current value, but for PS4, Xbox and Steam games, it's more usual than not publishers softing the blow, cutting 50 Reais or more for regional pricing..

But not this time; and that on top of a price increase of the whole franchise (and other SEGA games) on Steam, prior Sonic Origins launch. :X

I told yall this was Sonic Adventure 3.

Back
Top Bottom