• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

Here in Brazil, the game is costing 300 Reais, across all platforms.. which technically is the literal price convertion of 60 Dollars on the current value, but for PS4, Xbox and Steam games, it's more usual than not publishers softing the blow, cutting 50 Reais or more for regional pricing..

But not this time; and that on top of a price increase of the whole franchise (and other SEGA games) on Steam, prior Sonic Origins launch. :X
That is a big increase. Here it cost 750 MX Pesos across all the consoles except PS, which is half the price of any AAA release (around 35 usd), and they did the same for Yakuza LaD, guess they started to recognize no one is goint to pay 1600 MX (thats 80 big USD) for the physical version because retailers want to keep some margin from their side. It's kinda a kick in the nuts to them and I'm ok with this (not even current 1st party games cost fuckin 80usd here, its a joke they have to sell the physical release at that price)

How's the game on Switch?
I find it enjoyable and so far in the 3rd island haven't found anything that makes the frame rate unastable. With that said viusally it def takes a hit, as it has low res assets and 720p res when docked so if you have a big tv you'll notice that blurry look

You know how in the fishing minigame, you see visual glitches because it's clear they're in cyberspace? I'm not far enough to know if this would be contextually accurate or not, but I kinda wonder if the pop-in for the rails and platforms (basically everything except foliage and detail) could've had that same effect.

It's just super weird that they appear out of nowhere. Digital Foundry had a good point that there's not even a fade-in or dithering or anything. Just blinking in and out.

Also a question for those who have gotten this far:

I'm tasked to find tails on a specific platform on Chaos Island but there is no foreseeable way I can get there. has anyone figured this out? Or is this a case of just doing the puzzles and more rails will appear?

You know how in the fishing minigame, you see visual glitches because it's clear they're in cyberspace? I'm not far enough to know if this would be contextually accurate or not, but I kinda wonder if the pop-in for the rails and platforms (basically everything except foliage and detail) could've had that same effect.

It's just super weird that they appear out of nowhere. Digital Foundry had a good point that there's not even a fade-in or dithering or anything. Just blinking in and out.

I'm tasked to find tails on a specific platform on Chaos Island but there is no foreseeable way I can get there. has anyone figured this out? Or is this a case of just doing the puzzles and more rails will appear?
Yeah I’ve felt the same way since that initial IGN footage!

This is the first sonic game in years that I’ve bought and I’m already feeling like I made a mistake. Only in the second cyberspace level or whatever it’s called and the controls are already pissing me off. Sonics turning feels like garbo at speed and the r1 l1 side dash thing is too imprecise because it doesn’t auto correct you onto boost pads or anything so I’m just missing them.
Am I just mad cause bad-ing here or are the controls just kinda bad and imprecise.

Also please please please please tell me there's a way to stop it revealing a new piece of the map each time I solve one of those puzzle things. It's so annoying and slow and it happens so frequently, it'd be like if a botw tower happened every 3 minutes.

Last edited:

You've probably already been on it, it's easy to forget but you briefly land on it after doing the cycle through the tall cylinder. Confused me too.

This is the first sonic game in years that I’ve bought and I’m already feeling like I made a mistake. Only in the second cyberspace level or whatever it’s called and the controls are already pissing me off. Sonics turning feels like garbo at speed and the r1 l1 side dash thing is too imprecise because it doesn’t auto correct you onto boost pads or anything so I’m just missing them.
Am I just mad cause bad-ing here or are the controls just kinda bad and imprecise.

Also please please please please tell me there's a way to stop it revealing a new piece of the map each time I solve one of those puzzle things. It's so annoying and slow and it happens so frequently, it'd be like if a botw tower happened every 3 minutes.
I've found most cyberspace levels don't really expect you to take tight turns, and if you hold forward or let go of the boost for a bit you're usually fine.

What you're describing is how I felt about every sonic game I tried over the last ten years, but weirdly enough the controls really clicked for me here. Sorry you're not enjoying it!

The map thing always happens for the record, you can skip most repetitive things but not that

I'm on the last island now and I just love this game. Definitely has issues that are hard to ignore, but I'm having so much fun I just can't bring myself to care too much.

Also contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I actually really like the third island.

I'm on the last island now and I just love this game. Definitely has issues that are hard to ignore, but I'm having so much fun I just can't bring myself to care too much.

Also contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I actually really like the third island.
I got to the third island tonight and...I have to agree? Maybe it's the surprising number of fixed camera 2D sections giving me Unleashed vibes bit I enjoy it. Of course, I'm sure there will be some long rails that will materialize to get to each smaller area quicker as you progress on the island.

I did only get to Sonic Forces' style Death Egg Robot

I got to the third island tonight and...I have to agree? Maybe it's the surprising number of fixed camera 2D sections giving me Unleashed vibes bit I enjoy it. Of course, I'm sure there will be some long rails that will materialize to get to each smaller area quicker as you progress on the island.

I did only get to Sonic Forces' style Death Egg Robot
I think those 2D sections are why people dislike it, but I've gotten really used to how the 2D sections control so they don't bother me at all. Plus I kinda like the fact that I won't go flying off course during them.

Well, I just finished the game; gonna write my review and post my full thoughts later.. but man.. all the tiny little annoyances I had with the game never went away, and I could say it got worse overtime, especially in the final stretch...

But at least, you got your money well spent, if you are looking for something lengthy... especially considering past 3D Sonic games (albeit, again, they were all cheaper)

It’s interesting having these Cyber Space levels that reuse the level designs from previous games, ‘cause you get to directly compare the level design of multiple past games all within the same game. It also clearly highlights to me how much I prefer the Adventure 2 levels over the Unleashed and Generations ones. Honestly, the Adventure 2 levels just feel a lot more fun to play, despite being in a game that controls fairly differently from the original game. Actually, though, I think Frontiers’ controls suit the Adventure 2 level design a lot better than they do the Unleashed and Generations level design.

This just makes me want a real Sonic Adventure 3 even more…

Didn't have much chance to play yesterday but now that I started to explore the third island, it's becoming my favorite. I love the 2d segments they added

Just finished it.

So the second phase of the final boss (or the true final boss I guess) is actually locked behind hard mode. I'm definitely going to 100% this game and while I'm not sure Sonic has the cred to really pull a trick like that, I kinda respect it. I have read what it is and it's for sure bewildering. Unfortunately I do think that the last Titan fight is the worst of them all. Not that it's bad, but it's the least grand. I would rank their quality in order of the islands. First, then second, then third, then the last one. It's very anticlimactic as it is now. So I'm hoping the true final boss helps with this a bit.

I just keep finding myself impressed with the intuitiveness of the enemy design. The one that steals your emerald and then flies away with it, leaving an air stream Sonic can grind on to catch up. Or the spring enemy that homing onto it launches Sonic up, requiring the bounce attack to send Sonic crashing down, breaking the spring. Or the big ball of water that sonic has to bounce attack out of.

Also how the "zones" in the open zone land Sonic directly at something interesting. Either at a new zone, or a puzzle, or a portal, or a Chaos Emerald. The world design has a lot of thought put into it.

There are issues with the terrain and how Sonic moves across slight bumps in elevation, like walking over some stone sticking out of the ground. But really movement throughout the open zone is so fun I frankly don't care.

Big's fishing minigame is so zen and fun, it's easy to lose a half hour at a time to it. Also, some of these things you can catch are great callbacks. It's also good for rewards.

Characterization is great, but a little flimsy after all the main cast gets introduced.

Cyberspace levels are just a little wonky. This game suffers from a problem that every game since Colors has suffered from (since Colors had an excess of 2D segments). The boost controls are just not that fun in 2D. The weight and physics of 3D Sonic don't really work well on a 2D plane. I'd have rathered they remove these parts entirely, but I do appreciate why they're there for certain puzzles.

Wtf happened I genuinely can't believe I love this game as much as I do.

Back to the 100% grind...

Lots of thoughts to share from todays sessions on my flight home.

In the meantime, very thankful for the customization. This sounds cool…

Finished the game today, about 18 hours total. I'm still going to try and grab the rest of the trophies.

I'm having a little trouble articulating my thoughts, but overall, this is easily my new favorite 3D Sonic game. Which makes me really hope they iterate on this formula, because there's definitely room for improvement.

Oof if you bought this week last week at full price

Oof, but eh win some you lose some. I didn’t support Ubisoft with full price M+R 2 for eg, which I’m happy about in terms of voting with my wallet and supporting this direction for the series.

I got it digitally anyway and had this week of playing it while traveling in handheld mode. I will of course be waiting for a deep discount to grab it and replay on PC!

But folks it’s a no brainer at that price, jump in

Apparently they did something similar with Forces? I wonder if the sales are horrible or if they always planned to make it $40 with a premium week one price for the die hard fans.

I've decided I don't like this game, which is a shame. It's ambitious and I respect that, but I started to feel serious burnout by the time I got to the third island. They kept putting the next waypoint on floating islands, and I ended up running around in circles for way too long trying to figure out how to get there.

The Cyber Space levels are also a letdown. They're all based on one of four themes (Green Hill and Chemical Plant again), and most of them rely on massive bottomless pits to ramp up the difficulty. The physics during these sections are also not great. It's weird to me they're still struggling with this considering how many games they've made at this point.

The combat... Not really for me. I always felt one of the great things about Sonic was the simplicity of the combat. In this game, I'm encouraged to remember button combinations, and it got more and more overwhelming as I unlocked more of my skill tree.

There's also the mandatory minigames. I think this is one of the aspects that will stop me from replaying it in the future. The cutscenes are repetitive as well and I ended up skipping them unless they featured Eggman because they seemed like the most revelatory ones.

I guess a lot of this can be chalked up to "skill issue". But the fact of the matter is, as a lifelong Sonic fan, this game ended up not being what I was looking for. But I think it's a solid foundation that can be polished up for future entries. There are glimmers of greatness, and I enjoyed some parts of it, but as a whole I think it needs more refinement. I'm definitely more interested in the future of Sonic than I was after Forces, even if this one didn't hit it for me.

Its weird. Sonic is a huge property, but the last several games, frontiers included, have felt massively budget constrained

Alright I’m home from my travels and yeesh this sure isn’t a looker in docked mode lol.

Still good enough to play, nothing worse than Xenoblade 2 or Arceus lol but

Oof if you bought this week last week at full price

I just clicked through the link and it's at $59.99 again. Perhaps it was a mistake? A holiday sale price that someone accidentally clicked "go" on now?

I dunno if "clicking 'go'" on something is how one applies a holiday price drop, I'm just spitballing

I can't be the one that was extremely bummed with this, right?

they used the name for a completely different move, while they had something visually similar on the game and named something else...

I just clicked through the link and it's at $59.99 again. Perhaps it was a mistake? A holiday sale price that someone accidentally clicked "go" on now?

I dunno if "clicking 'go'" on something is how one applies a holiday price drop, I'm just spitballing
There seems to be a bug

Also for someone lost in the Sonic lore, is there a reason why Sonic cant swim or its just a "why can't metroid crawl" situation? (Knucles mentioned)

Also for someone lost in the Sonic lore, is there a reason why Sonic cant swim or its just a "why can't metroid crawl" situation? (Knucles mentioned)
The answer is literally: Sonic Team thought hedgehogs couldn't swim. 😅

And when they found out that was wrong, they decided to leave that in the game as sort of Sonic's kryptonite, so he'd have at least one big weakness that he bravely pushes through.

I'm kinda amazed at how much fun I've managed to eke out of this frustrating mess. It's definitely not a good game, but there are beautiful moments in time where it all seems to click, only for yet another awful minigame or boss to utterly ruin the momentum. It's close to being good but I think Sonic Team just don't have the chops to do it, this game reeks of their middling handiwork.

Most of the cyberspace music tracks are absolute bangers though. Least the music is as good as always.

Got my SA2 Shoes! They look a little off scale wise, I’d prefer a full model swap like Monkey Ball did. Kinda looks like he’s in heels lmao.

I think there’s a pretty big line between sonic fans and folks new to the series here in how the game is perceived since it’s systems really tap on so much of the series history. There are a ton of moves, mechanics and even muscle memory that reward experienced players and could leave new players hitting a wall or experiencing jank.

I think there’s a pretty big line between sonic fans and folks new to the series here in how the game is perceived since it’s systems really tap on so much of the series history. There are a ton of moves, mechanics and even muscle memory that reward experienced players and could leave new players hitting a wall or experiencing jank.
I mean

Jank is itself a part of series history so...

Yeah that is truly an abysmal choice of words lol. Even if that was meant to say “we’ll keep these notes in mind for the next one”.
It just reminds me of what's going on with the Tesla autopilot stuff, how it's coming out that they released it as it was still essentially in beta and used actual customers as their beta testers. Obviously that's a gnarly comparison (perhaps what MS has done with Windows since 10 is a better, less uh.. deadly one) but it seems like that's becoming more and more common in tech and I am not jazzed.

Last edited:
It just reminds me of what's going on with the Tesla autopilot stuff, how it's coming out that they released it as it was still essentially in beta and used actual customers as their beta testers. Obviously that's a gnarly comparison (perhaps what MS has done with Windows since 10 is a better, less uh.. deadly one) but it seems like that's becoming more and more common in tech and I am not jazzed.
He just didn’t need to say anything like this. I even wonder if it’s a mistranslation. Frontiers is a plenty acceptable first pass at this style of game. I’d even say it’s better than acceptable despite its perceived jank; it’s an outright good video game. There’s such a lack of confidence in anything Sonic both from Sega and Sonic Team. I know there’s history of Sonic Team getting poorly managed and under funded, but finally, they actually get time and against all odds, put out a pretty well-made, well-received game and this guy’s gotta put his foot in it. Just STOP and let the game speak for itself.

It’s funny how whenever a good Sonic game comes out people are like “This is a solid foundation for Sonic Team to build on in the future” and then they do a completely different thing in the next game.

Like all Sega had to do after Generations was to make another game in that style with original stages but no Classic Sonic (and maybe some other gimmick to keep it fresh). But instead……offbrand Mario Galaxy clone it is!

Like all Sega had to do after Generations was to make another game in that style with original stages but no Classic Sonic (and maybe some other gimmick to keep it fresh). But instead……offbrand Mario Galaxy clone it is!
Oh man you mean Lost World? What sucks about that is in the initial marketing it looked to be more that Sonic Team was revisiting the cancelled Saturn game, Sonic X-Treme. The way the world had this almost fisheye-looking design that rotated around Sonic instead of the other way around, that all looked a lot like X-Treme. And then it turned out that really only the first stage was like that and the rest of the game was Galaxy-esque with one of the most forgettable villain sets in the series just.. it hurt me. They teased me with what I thought was this triumphant return of a game a dreamed of playing as a kid, only to bait-and-switch me.

I see Frontiers as their personal apology to me. LOL

It’s funny how whenever a good Sonic game comes out people are like “This is a solid foundation for Sonic Team to build on in the future” and then they do a completely different thing in the next game.

Not really... they always make at least a couple of games using the same formula, even if they do try something different in between...

• Adventure 1, 2 and '06;
  • Heroes and Shadow;
  • Secret Rings and Black Knight;
  • Unleashed, Colors, Generations and Forces... and arguably, Frontiers also drinks of the same fountain (Cyberspaces);

I wish we had another crack on the Lost World formula though.. I really liked it on face value, and it could had been polished onto something cool. Well.. at least Parkour returned in Frontiers, selectively..

Oh man you mean Lost World? What sucks about that is in the initial marketing it looked to be more that Sonic Team was revisiting the cancelled Saturn game, Sonic X-Treme. The way the world had this almost fisheye-looking design that rotated around Sonic instead of the other way around, that all looked a lot like X-Treme. And then it turned out that really only the first stage was like that and the rest of the game was Galaxy-esque with one of the most forgettable villain sets in the series just.. it hurt me. They teased me with what I thought was this triumphant return of a game a dreamed of playing as a kid, only to bait-and-switch me.

I see Frontiers as their personal apology to me. LOL
lmao, well.. I was typing at the sametime as you; but I often say that Lost World was truly the only 3D Sonic game that didn't had me annoyed with something constantly until the very end; and the tiny little DNA of X-Treme that exists on it, makes it even better to me.

Back
Top Bottom