• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

Some of the cutscenes with Amy in this game are baffling, as in I genuinely have no clue as to what's going on in them. They're just really strange.
I am enjoying the game a bit more though, still very frustrating but becoming more fun the more I play.

Kind of dropped the game for now. It's not a bad game by any means. It just has nothing in it to keep me going :/. It's going to the backlog now

Just 100% cleared everything. All S Ranks, all fish caught, all missions/side stories, and platinum trophy earned.

I haven't enjoyed a 3D official Sonic game in over fifteen years, so this was special for me. I don't really have any interest in defending or making a case for it. I just enjoyed myself, and remembered what it's like to love a Sonic game.

Also, whatever Tomoya Ohtani earned for composing this game, he deserves a 100% raise, along with all the music staff. This is one of the best open world osts I've ever seen, and an extremely good Sonic OST in its own right.

The overworld music does ambiance, but it also evolves as you progress and gets more exciting and intense. Then you have all the amazing super sonic tunes (none of them reach the heights of the first for me, but they're all great)

And the cyperspace stages are all worth a play for the music alone. Same with the big fishing stuff. That's worth it for the lofi tune, the eggman memos (surprisingly good character beats and great VO by Mike Pollock), and, of course, it's worth it just to hang out with Big, even if repeats the same two lines forever. I'm just glad he's here lol.

Anyway, wow. Can't believe I spent 23 hours on a new 3D Sonic in the year 2022.

Pls don't fuck the next one up SEGA

Just 100% cleared everything. All S Ranks, all fish caught, all missions/side stories, and platinum trophy earned.

I haven't enjoyed a 3D official Sonic game in over fifteen years, so this was special for me. I don't really have any interest in defending or making a case for it. I just enjoyed myself, and remembered what it's like to love a Sonic game.

Also, whatever Tomoya Ohtani earned for composing this game, he deserves a 100% raise, along with all the music staff. This is one of the best open world osts I've ever seen, and an extremely good Sonic OST in its own right.

The overworld music does ambiance, but it also evolves as you progress and gets more exciting and intense. Then you have all the amazing super sonic tunes (none of them reach the heights of the first for me, but they're all great)

And the cyperspace stages are all worth a play for the music alone. Same with the big fishing stuff. That's worth it for the lofi tune, the eggman memos (surprisingly good character beats and great VO by Mike Pollock), and, of course, it's worth it just to hang out with Big, even if repeats the same two lines forever. I'm just glad he's here lol.

Good work! I’m really glad you enjoyed the game.

Mike is seriously the MVP of the Sonic series.

I got to the last island tonight, honestly? I'm not tired of the game. Yeah it's repetitive but running around, jumping off cliffs after boosting, drop dashing and even fighting some enemies everywhere with Sonic has been too much fun.

The third islands' Pinball segment I didn't have any issue with. Took a bit longer than expected but I'm on the side of "this is fine".

Finally managed to played more today. Finishied the 3rd and 4th island. The 4th island was amazing...

While its the simpler one as there are no collectibles and you can see the layout, going up the 6 towers was amazing, it really gives a a sense of height when you are going up. Also appreciate they even add shortcuts after certain parts so if you miss something you can get to that part easily

Just finished the second island. I just have to say, I loath the

titan fights. Climbing the first titan was incredible, it's of course janky, but it felt really cool. I love the concept. But then the super sonic segments, both were tedious, visually cluttered, all flash and no substance. They would have made epic cutscenes, but instead it's boring button mashing and QTEs.

One major issue is I haven't been grinding the skill points, so the titans are the so spongy, I just run out of time before I can do enough damage. Managed to get the first titan, but after dying to the second titan's absolute bullshit QTE ending, I just maxed the skills with cheats. No regrets, it still took forever because of all the scripted nonsense leading up to it.

It's baffling that there's no checkpoint in such LONG boss fights like that. I was so livid that a QTE oneshot kills you.

Platinumed the game! It's a fun time sync, which I really needed as I'm going through a rough patch IRL. But ultimately it ends up being an OK/fun open world game in the way an Assassin's Creed entry is. Really hope that they leave this as an experiment and go back to adventure fields and actual levels.
  • Sonic actually controls pretty well in the open zones.
  • Music is good again which is a relief afte Forces.
  • Looks good visually.
  • Really like the Adventure feel of the story/characters. Hope they keep that up and don't revert back to the cringe from the past few games.

• Puzzles are very simple.
  • Repetitive fights and puzzles.
  • Feels like a level builder, they have certain basic components like rails and platforms that are used all over the game.
  • Cyberspace doesn't control as well, especially 2D sections.

I wish they'd take the good controls and build an Adventure style game with it, pad the game out with Tails, Amy and Knuckles gameplay and you've got a fantastic game.

Platinumed the game! It's a fun time sync, which I really needed as I'm going through a rough patch IRL. But ultimately it ends up being an OK/fun open world game in the way an Assassin's Creed entry is. Really hope that they leave this as an experiment and go back to adventure fields and actual levels.
  • Sonic actually controls pretty well in the open zones.
  • Music is good again which is a relief afte Forces.
  • Looks good visually.
  • Really like the Adventure feel of the story/characters. Hope they keep that up and don't revert back to the cringe from the past few games.

• Puzzles are very simple.
  • Repetitive fights and puzzles.
  • Feels like a level builder, they have certain basic components like rails and platforms that are used all over the game.
  • Cyberspace doesn't control as well, especially 2D sections.

I wish they'd take the good controls and build an Adventure style game with it, pad the game out with Tails, Amy and Knuckles gameplay and you've got a fantastic game.
The idea that they'd use Frontiers as a base off which to build a more robust, Adventure-style sequel is my sincere hope. Especially since Iizuka said that if Frontiers does well it'll form a new third "era" of Sonic. Hopefully they'll be able to take what they've learned/built here and focus on, like you say, more full-on levels (even if they keep the little tidbit levels around as filler in between) and even better open zones.

And if they call those levels Action Stages and call the open zones "Adventure Fields" I'd just be thrilled.

I will play a lot more but my first impressions after a couple hours of the first island are not very positive. I had braced for cyberspace to not feel that great but I wasn't expecting the overworld movement to feel so rough either. The game feels more aimless than a Mario Odyssey or Bowser's Fury and activities feel randomly scattered across the map.

Just beat it, including the final boss on hard mode. Didn't care for that final boss, nope. Might go back for 100% completion, but not super motivated, and I have other stuff to do.

I will say the game was as fun as it was frustrating. It's so close to being good, there's just such a lack of general polish and some incredibly baffling design decisions, and the open world honestly kinda feels like they saw a couple of open world games and threw in a bunch of mechanics without really understanding game flow. Cyberspace is fun when the controls aren't letting you down, but again, lacks polish. Why is 1-2 so punishing when nearly every other level you can beat the time by like 10-20 seconds without breaking a sweat?

Finally got around to watching the Digital Foundry comparison and yeesh the Switch verison is less well off than I percieved while playing it

I felt bad for a minute, then went back to playing cozied up in my bed and stayed happy with my purchase lol

100%’d World 1 and 2, working on World 3 now.

Easily the most I’ve been invested in a Sonic game since Unleashed. This just hits all the right spots for me, personally.

I don't understand why everyone finds that
pinball
game frustrating. It took me 2 tries but I was able to finish it pretty easily. I come on the internet and see that everybody hates it.

Only thing left to do is max out my Ring level. Then that's a crisp platinum trophy.

I think this game seeped into my Top 5 for the year.

TIL Dunkey is still out there with quite a fanbase lol, quite a throwback - friends in high school loved him but he's never been for me

I will say that his video on the game doesn't at all match my experience, haven't had one similar glitch that he seems to highlight, nor were tutorials that invasive (did hard move perhaps set them optional?)

a shame that video is trending and will sour people's perception.

TIL Dunkey is still out there with quite a fanbase lol, quite a throwback - friends in high school loved him but he's never been for me

I will say that his video on the game doesn't at all match my experience, haven't had one similar glitch that he seems to highlight, nor were tutorials that invasive (did hard move perhaps set them optional?)

a shame that video is trending and will sour people's perception.
He's very good at making a game look terrible. I know I found the Shenmue 3 video hilarious for that fact.

I know my opinion on certain things doesn't quite line up with others, but like, I know for a fact we're all playing the same game. How is it that people are having such a difficult time with certain parts? I see people complaining about the open zone controls but there are literally sliders for almost every aspect of control. I know it's not perfect by any means but it feels like people just lean into the parts that make it look shitty.

Oh and semi-OT but I don't want to bump that thread, did Sonic Origins get good post-launch support to clean up its issues?
Curious about this too

I played Sonic 3&K in Origins a couple weeks ago and I didn't really experience anything weird in that game anymore.

Not sure about the other games in the package though.

Also Cyberspace 4-2 is just a joy to run through despite being relatively simple. The music might be doing some hard carrying though 😅

The second island is a lot more fun I think. The map feels more thoughtfully designed. (and it looks more acceptable on Switch lol)

Oh and semi-OT but I don't want to bump that thread, did Sonic Origins get good post-launch support to clean up its issues?
Curious about this too
Hi! Sonic Origins ST writer here. Never be afraid to bump the thread and bolster discussion.

Sonic Origins is in an alright spot right now. It's biggest issues, like the Sonic 2 Tails respawn bug, have been addressed, and we even got some cool cheat codes for Sonic 3, but smaller sore spots, like the lower audio quality of Sonic 3 or the kinda wonky implementation of the Drop Dash in Sonic 1 and 2 haven't been touched. We likely won't be getting any extra features either, so no Knuckles in CD or playable Amy. Origins is a perfect serviceable way to play the Retro Engine ports of the classic Sonic games on console, but if you have a PC and are willing to go the unofficial route, there are much better ways to experience all four games.

So the first (and probably the last) platinum trophy of my life was for Sonic Frontiers. While the game had flaws, I loved it anyway : it wasn't perfect, but at least it was interesting. Loved the fast traversal, the kind of diegetic fast travel with the rails, the fact that Sonic was pretty good to control for once, and the bombastic OST. If Sonic Team improves on the formula, the next one is gonna be incredible.

I never was a Sonic fan prior to this, even for the 2D games. But now I kinda want to revisit more games of the series, to see if I'll like them more. I was thinking Generations ; is the 3DS version any good ?

I don't understand why everyone finds that
pinball
game frustrating. It took me 2 tries but I was able to finish it pretty easily. I come on the internet and see that everybody hates it.
I don't get it either... I did that and finished on my first try with no issues... I have played better versions of that particular piece in this very same series, but it wasn't hard, broken or anything...

So the first (and probably the last) platinum trophy of my life was for Sonic Frontiers. While the game had flaws, I loved it anyway : it wasn't perfect, but at least it was interesting. Loved the fast traversal, the kind of diegetic fast travel with the rails, the fact that Sonic was pretty good to control for once, and the bombastic OST. If Sonic Team improves on the formula, the next one is gonna be incredible.

I never was a Sonic fan prior to this, even for the 2D games. But now I kinda want to revisit more games of the series, to see if I'll like them more. I was thinking Generations ; is the 3DS version any good ?
Generations 3DS is very mediocre. The gameplay isn’t bad, but the levels are just okay and it’s quite short.

Music is excellent though.

Been busy lately, but I've been playing Frontiers when I can. I'm up to Chaos Island rn, and my thoughts so far? For all this games Jank, the core concept and game play are so GOOD, I can easily overlook the jank. I love Frontiers so far! I hope they continue to expand on and refine this formula!

Also.

This game feels like a damn fever dream during my play sessions.

You’re telling me I’m playing a 3D Sonic open world collectathon, inspired by Breath of the Wild, containing remade adventure-era stages, good writing, a playable Switch port… oh, and its competently made by Sonic Team?!

If Arceus can be excused piles of jank and celebrated for the steps it took forward, this game sure deserves a bit better than I’m seeing in some corners.

I’m onto island 3 and TBH not minding the lean into 2D cuts. BTW are those rumors of a new 2D Modern Sonic any bit legit?

Last edited:
I finally finished it on Hard difficulty...roll credits.

I really enjoyed the game. Open zone is really just that expansion of the idea of the hub areas in Sonic Adventure. They absolutely need to improve on this and overall polish of the game (that pop-in is rough)

Character interactions are so good! I really hope they get Ian Flynn again for the next game at least for writing.

Cyberspace levels as an idea in this game is cool, but the inconsistency of how Sonic controls in both the 2D and 3D ones really brings them down. The best ones are definitely on the back half of the game (3-1 and 4-2 off the top of my head stick out the most. There are others)

Combat I think should be a little more skill-based in the next 3D game. The parry you can just hold and they'll hurt themselves, maybe make it more execution like other action games.

Yeah this is gone on for too long...if I were a games reviewer, I'd probably give this a 8/10. It definitely feels like there was a large-than-average bit of effort put into this and I think it shines through the other shortcomings.

and now to jump into the growing world of Sonic Frontiers mods!

FInally finished today. It's been a long time I had fun with an open world game. It's a solid 8 for me, every moment running in the islands and doing acrobatics with that chill soundtrack while collecting stuff and then they cyberspace levels which I actually enjoyed (except 1-2). I know a lot of people mention the jank and it does have it but I never found myself fighting against the game regarding this,

One thing I don't believe it's mentioned it's how the game respects your time making collectibles infinite AND buyable. I wanted to finished today and was missing 2 keys for the last chaos emerald, just go to the fishing spot and buy them, that's it, quicker than replay any of the cyberspace levels. Dont wan't to waste time fighting the minibosses? Again just go to the store and buy the gears.

I definitely come back to complete every map later and honestly I hope they add some DLC in the form of challenge islands or something, the game does have a lot of potential for this.

Finally, the monster hunter collab is available

Mnhl70m.jpg

Put about an hour into Frontiers and it's very frustrating. There are moments things are clicking and I'm starting to have fun, but then the camera freaks out or an automation doesn't work like it should or Sonic randomly decides to go a completely different direction getting me killed. The cyberspace stages are also bad, this games physics weren't designed for them and it's really obvious. At the very least all the music has been very good which isn't that big of a surprise.

I’m convinced the parry was originally a regular timing based one and it got playtested into its current limp state. There’s no way the “puzzles” of parrying were implemented against the current version lol. Just got one that was a single (fast bullet) parry in world three.

Oh also, I have come around to disliking all the 2D in island 3 as well if not only because it is extremely disorienting lol.

I tried it yesterday with my longtime friend who has a Sonic tattoo on his leg. He loved it, and was just in awe. :)

My review is up on the NintendoBoy's site (in Brazilian Portuguese 🇧🇷)

Here's the Pros and Cons summary I ended with

Pros:
  • Excellent characterization and humanization of the characters;
  • Varied soundtrack;
  • Customization for accessibility;
  • Margin to progress as you like, when it comes to collectibles;
  • Loading time and optimization for Nintendo Switch;
  • Localization of texts into Brazilian Portuguese.
Cons:
  • Lack of polish everywhere, causing constant frustrations;
  • World design lacks focus, poor mapping function;
  • Repetition of mundane tasks, recycling of elements from previous games and inorganic extension of game time;
  • Poor visuals with no identity or trademark of the series;
  • Shallow combat, at the same time intrusive to the platforming element;
  • The automation and spectacle with no substance still persist despite the new direction.

YALL

Sorry for it being a Facebook link, it's the only place I found this ad but CHECK OUT HOW IT ENDS:

I AM OVERCOME WITH HAPPY

Holy crap that's amazing, I didn't think I'd ever hear that SEGA! scream in new marketing ever again.

That's cool! Sounds like it may be just more cosmetic stuff for Sonic, which is fine.

That's cool! Sounds like it may be just more cosmetic stuff for Sonic, which is fine.

I'm just so glad this game will have a lit mod community... securing my purchase of the PC version down the line when I get my not-steam deck (ayaneo geek) in Jan

The worst thing you can say about Sonic Frontiers is that it feels like a tech demo quite often. It's still a very fun tech demo with music that goes harder than it has any right to and a foundation for the future. I can easily see a Frontiers 2 that takes the very fun base of this game and turn it into something special.

Played several more hours on my flight to Florida yesterday. My opinion hasn't really changed all that much sadly. The part of my brain that loves collecting 100% is being satisfied, but so much of what I'm doing never feels that good to do. I'm quickly realizing that all the of the mini bosses are terrible, and I'm actively avoiding them as much as possible until my strength stat is high enough where I can delete then quickly.

Speaking of the stats, what on earth are the use of defense up and rings up? I get the idea of rings up being more health, but more often then not it doesn't seem to matter how high my rings are or how high my defense is, one hit and all my rings are gone. The only attack I've been hit by where I don't lose all my rings is Squid's laser balls, and I mostly get hit by those because the camera during the chase segment is awful.

Also LMAO at one of the early datalogs still saying 3 islands and not 5. How did nobody catch that after the decision was made to cut the first big island into 3 to artificially say the game had more then 3 open zones?

Last edited:
I’m glad y’all are enjoying this, but I’m just not having any fun at all. I keep fighting with the camera in miniboss fights, upping the speed makes me sail off into the distance when I’m trying to fight or reach shit. every time I’m looking for shit and grab a rail that looks like it will go roughly where I want it to, nope just kidding gotta go to the opposite of the island to some 2D section that I have to finish before I can go back to wherever it is I wanted to go.

maybe I’m just too dumb and unskilled for this game, but I’m done with it, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom