• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the first exclusive look for you all:
MV5BYzUxY2UxYmEtOWMzMy00Mzk3LWEyNzktNGNkNDk5OGM5MWMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM1MzczNjg@._V1_.jpg
Looks like it’s running on Drake to me

Can't wait to see how (awful) this will run on Switch.

(And it will probably sell the best on the platform so it will make it even more ridiculous).

Even with a small teaser of a lot of broken up gameplay segments I can already feel all the jank (not the good kind), impressive.

Looks like it lines up very closely to the leaks we heard so far. I think there's potential. Keep the combat snappy and make using Sonic's speed in the open environment engaging, and we could have a winner. We'll see as IGN reveals more about the game.

...though I'm basically going to ignore the existence of a Switch version. The versions on other consoles, especially PS5/XSX/PC, are going to be infinitely better and better optimized.

Sonic CD intro incoming?

I liked what I saw but I just want to see more and a full playthrough. Hopefully we get that tomorrow.

I... don't hate it? At least the idea of it.

Assuming Sonic controls adequately for the kind of game it is (big if, I know), I'd be interested in an open world game focused on high-speed traversal that doesn't expect you to inspect every nook and cranny. Something more akin to open world car games than your average action-adventure open world.

That said, I can see the game running into some of the same issues, say, Starlink had if they don't commit to nailing traversal or worry about the world being too empty.

It is mind boggling how close this looks to PSO2:NG. I'll reserve opinions since we're seeing more tomorrow!

I'd honestly settle for this being a 7/10, but that wasn't really enough for me to form an opinion, I think.

It looks like it actually gives space for you to go fast with Sonic.....

Finally, after all of these years, a 3D game where you can actually go fast as sonic.

It's ironic that 2D Sonic had so much more exploration and player expression than 2D Mario.

Only for 3D Mario to have so much more freedom than 3D Sonic.

I feel it, this could be sonic actually coming home.

This trailer felt very familiar, right down to the music cues and I think I know why

This trailer reminds me how vibrant and pretty BotW looked on much weaker Wii U hardware.

I wish Frontiers looked more like that Utopia fan project with respect to art style. I always wanted an open-world Sonic game.

Outside of the heavy "SEGA HIRED THAT MAN!!!!" vibes, I think the idea of an open-world Sonic by itself is a good one. Hopefully this gives you enough space and makes that space interesting enough. I do like the 'circle round enemy to attack' thing; surprised they didn't think of that further. Sonic has never meshed well with traditional combat.

Sega does what Nintendon't

Being serious, the game looks solid, which is better than what I can say about a few other 3D sonics. I'm curious to see the actual gameplay loop.

Just the one shot of Sonic streaming fast across a meadow is the first time watching 3D sonic footage and felt the joy of just "going fast" that the 2D games gave me. But the Breath of the Wild style music feels really clashy from Sonic tone (both good and bad).

Interesting that all those 4chan leaks from literally 2 years ago were right on the money about everything. In general none of the focus group seemed into the "draw a circle around the enemy to attack" mechanic, but I like that we've made Sonic combat about SONIC GOING FAST.

The landscape looks too realistic. Where are the weird checkered cliffs? Where is the oddly-shimmery water?
This is a good point. Everyone is latching on to how generic and plain the environment looks, and how much it clashes with Sonic. And the reason why is because they’ve abandoned any little bit of Sonic personality in the environments.

Never been a sonic fan personally. I think the brand is overrated. When is the last time there was a legit really good “3D” sonic game? They should just keep the brand retro and 2d and call it a day. I love the movies though. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Looks interesting. I have next to no faith in Sonic Team pulling this off, but I’ll keep a sliver of hope. Need to see more. Digging the music however. Emotional piano music isn’t new to Sonic, so that’s whatevs.

Also, I’m fine with the look, though I need to see more environments. I’m just MORE than happy they’ve done away with Green Hill.

The landscape looks too realistic. Where are the weird checkered cliffs? Where is the oddly-shimmery water?

But yeah, I'm into open-world Sonic.
This is a good point. Everyone is latching on to how generic and plain the environment looks, and how much it clashes with Sonic. And the reason why is because they’ve abandoned any little bit of Sonic personality in the environments.
The Adventure games went for a more realistic look though (as far as the Dreamcast could manage anyway), and IIRC the checkerboard cliffs and stuff is something they only started consistently doing recently. Colors didn't do them, Unleashed didn't (and Unleashed was lovely), I think there was a level or two in Heroes that did it but then it didn't show up again until Generations, which was a title that deliberately mimicked the style of the older games.

Maybe that's why the environmental design in Frontiers doesn't bug me. It reminds me of Sonic Adventure, which is honestly what I've wanted for a long, long time.

Wonder on how this will run and look on Switch?

Between this, Xenoblade and Pokémon seems like Switch will have the trifecta for low resolution/performance open world games the second half of the year.

Never been a sonic fan personally. I think the brand is overrated. When is the last time there was a legit really good “3D” sonic game? They should just keep the brand retro and 2d and call it a day. I love the movies though. 🤷🏾‍♂️
I'd say Adventure, Adventure 2, Colors, Unleashed, and Generations, but some people have things they hate about those games that they say take them out of "legitimately good" status. I dunno, I guess it comes down to taste. I really love some of the 3D Sonics, and that's why I get hyped every time there's a new one because I know they can be really good, even if I will admit they miss the mark a lot.

Generations is the best big-budget platformer of its console generation. Fite me if you don't agree.

(IMO there is nothing more exhilarating in any platformer that generation than descending the tower in Rooftop Run with the balloons floating everywhere. The level music, visuals, and feel of speed combine in a way that makes it a singular experience.)

looks fine. Still have no opinion till we get a closer look what the actual loop is, how the controlls feel, and if there are other biomes then "grass paradise".

Generations is the best big-budget platformer of its console generation. Fite me if you don't agree.

(IMO there is nothing more exhilarating in any platformer that generation than descending the tower in Rooftop Run with the balloons floating everywhere. The level music, visuals, and feel of speed combine in a way that makes it a singular experience.)
I’m still sad that we never got the HD version on a Nintendo system… If only it released a year later, then it probably would have been a Wii U launch title.

Looks like they’re making the game it looked like (to me) they were making when I saw the first screens of Sonic 2006. And although I never ended up playing Sonic 2006, tgat makes me excited.

lmao, I'm all for an opinion against the grain but when one this off-course you gotta give some sense of backing it up or I'm going to assume you're just stroking the fire
I'll do my replay later this year but if I was writing an article the headline would be "The Real Sonic Generations? Operation Big Wave"
I am starting to admire the tenacity with which you express opinions so many find objectionable. I am serious!

Can we please have a list of your favorite games in each Nintendo franchise so I can be properly offended?
If you give me a list of franchises I'll be happy to oblige 😎

I'd say Adventure, Adventure 2, Colors, Unleashed, and Generations, but some people have things they hate about those games that they say take them out of "legitimately good" status. I dunno, I guess it comes down to taste. I really love some of the 3D Sonics, and that's why I get hyped every time there's a new one because I know they can be really good, even if I will admit they miss the mark a lot.
I guess when I say really good I mean basically universal praise of how good the game is. For example BOTW, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea but the review scores and game sales reflect how good the game is. When is the last time the reviews and sales for a sonic game line up for universal acclaim?

I can’t agree with your main point because the Galaxy games exist, but Generations is definitely great. Basically a happy medium between Unleashed and Colors gameplay with a bit more open level design.

Sega really should have kept the Generations style for the next game (but with original stages) instead of doing something completely different in Lost World.

That environment looks like it came straight from PSO2:NGS. Certainly things they could take from that game, but a lot of things they really shouldn't...

For a teaser, it looks ok, not really enough there for me to form an opinion. I don't really have faith in Sonic Team to not completely screw this up, but I'm hoping against hope.

I can’t agree with your main point because the Galaxy games exist, but Generations is definitely great. Basically a happy medium between Unleashed and Colors gameplay with a bit more open level design.

Sega really should have kept the Generations style for the next game (but with original stages) instead of doing something completely different in Lost World.
Yeah, most people prefer Galaxy. I think those games are beautiful, but I'd much rather actually play Generations than either Galaxy game. Yes, this puts me in a minority, but I'm okay with that.

I guess when I say really good I mean basically universal praise of how good the game is. For example BOTW, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea but the review scores and game sales reflect how good the game is. When is the last time the reviews and sales for a sonic game line up for universal acclaim?
Okay, I see what you mean now. But I think universal acclaim is still a bit of a high bar to set. Colors and Generations were reviewed pretty well (high 70s on metacritic at least) but them not hitting Zelda numbers doesn't mean Sega should just pack it up and go back to 2D only.

That being said, I do wish they'd do another game with the Mania team, only with entirely original stages.

Por qué no los dos?

The Adventure games went for a more realistic look though (as far as the Dreamcast could manage anyway), and IIRC the checkerboard cliffs and stuff is something they only started consistently doing recently. Colors didn't do them, Unleashed didn't (and Unleashed was lovely), I think there was a level or two in Heroes that did it but then it didn't show up again until Generations, which was a title that deliberately mimicked the style of the older games.

Maybe that's why the environmental design in Frontiers doesn't bug me. It reminds me of Sonic Adventure, which is honestly what I've wanted for a long, long time.

Yeah, to me, it's one thing to outright prefer the more "trippy" environs of Sonic 1-2-CD-Mania (an opinion I definitely share in kind). However, Frontiers, at least from this outset, seems to go for the type of "fantastical realism" that was pretty prevalent during the Adventure-06 era, which to be fair, was kickstarted by Sonic 3 & Knuckles before them.

I always assumed that was largely due to Iizuka continuing his rise to power from Designer on Sonic 3&K, to being the full-blown director of Adventure, and then becoming the lead by the time Naka left.

Yeah, to me, it's one thing to outright prefer the more "trippy" environs of Sonic 1-2-CD-Mania (an opinion I definitely share in kind). However, Frontiers, at least from this outset, seems to go for the type of "fantastical realism" that was pretty prevalent during the Adventure-06 era, which to be fair, was kickstarted by Sonic 3 & Knuckles before them.

I always assumed that was largely due to Iizuka continuing his rise to power from Designer on Sonic 3&K, to being the full-blown director of Adventure, and then becoming the lead by the time Naka left.
I actually forgot S3K dropped the trippy trees and checkerboard ground, you're right.

One thing that just occurred to me about the environment, and this may be a stretch..

I remember reading that Sonic Team said they made Unleashed to try and appease the "too many friends" complaint fans had, to make a Sonic game that was "just Sonic" (thus the Werehog, in order to pad gameplay time but still "play as only Sonic'), then Generations was them trying to respond to the fan request for a more old-school approach and for a new 2D Sonic game, and Forces was them trying to lean into the fanart Original The Character thing.

They've been chasing the fan trends and requests for a while, and I'm starting to wonder if Frontiers is literally them looking at all those UE fangames and going "well if this is what the fans want.."

I mean, I'd hope this is more about them deliberately trying to return to a more pseudo-"realist" style like Sonic Adventure (I've seriously said for years that they should do an open-world Sonic Adventure 3 where you explore a massive world looking for entrances to Zones that are the actual obstacle-course "action stages," which is honestly what Adventure 1 tried to achieve) but if what they're actually doing is making another game that's them just chasing what they think the fans are asking for, that's hilarious. And I still love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom