• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Don’t forget Live A Live and all the SaGas!
Talking about SaGa: where was Emerald Beyond two days ago? The five people who care must be terribly demoralized! 😈 TGS September Direct is probably a better avenue for it anyways, where Mana, too, could make a showing.

I honestly don't know why I am so curious about the next SaGa when I'll probably be way too scared to try out anyways. 🙃

Thinking about it It's just crazy how much retro RPG we eating with all the ports /remakes / whatever squenix call them now: Mario RPG, Star Ocean 1 and 2, EO, Baten kaitos, FF PR, Front Mission, Suikoden, hell even the original Atelier Marie incluided in the remake.
Still waiting for the fabled FFIX remake. If this turns out to be the only point where the Nvidia leak was incorrect, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Thinking about it It's just crazy how much retro RPG we eating with all the ports /remakes / whatever squenix call them now: Mario RPG, Star Ocean 1 and 2, EO, Baten kaitos, FF PR, Front Mission, Suikoden, hell even the original Atelier Marie incluided in the remake.
Yeah, it’s all the good stuff on top of tons of new rpgs too. That were still getting SMT, Octopath, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem etc etc. It’s just amazing having it all on one portable for me.

I honestly don't know why I am so curious about the next SaGa when I'll probably be way too scared to try out anyways. 🙃
I've dabbled with a couple of them so far and they're honestly not as hard to get into as I expected. Frontier was fun although I haven't finished any of the scenarios.

It's really a case of having to unlearn habits acquired from other games like Final Fantasy and embracing the constant feeling of being lost. Which funnily enough is also how I feel when I'm playing TotK.

Yeah, it’s all the good stuff on top of tons of new rpgs too. That were still getting SMT, Octopath, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem etc etc. It’s just amazing having it all on one portable for me.
Switch has been the second coming of the SNES/PS1 era for me. Part of that is due to so many games of that vintage getting re-released, but the Switch is absolutely flooded with RPGs and as long as you're not looking for the shinest of shiny games. It's great!

Switch has been the second coming of the SNES/PS1 era for me. Part of that is due to so many games of that vintage getting re-released, but the Switch is absolutely flooded with RPGs and as long as you're not looking for the shinest of shiny games. It's great!
I grew up with handhelds, so I missed a ton of nes/snes/n64 games (that werent on gba). And going back tp them, either NSO or remakes (Live a Live, etc), its been fantastic.

And since a ton are rpgs my backlog has be cover for a time.

Still waiting for the fabled FFIX remake. If this turns out to be the only point where the Nvidia leak was incorrect, I'm going to be very disappointed.
FF9 and FFTactics are the big two still remaining, both of which I can’t wait for. At least one of them I really think we’ll get around TGS, be it at the Direct or otherwise.

I'm in a bit of a weird spot right now. I won't be able to start FFXVI until Sunday or Monday, but I'm also dead set on dropping everything for Trails into Reverie on July 7th. On top of that, I want to finish Crisis Core Reunion in the next few days before doing anything else. So, realistically I won't start XVI until Thursday or Friday next week, which would leave about one week until Reverie.

I've thought about putting XVI to the side until after I beat Reverie, but then Pikmin 4 comes out on July 21st! As hyped as I have been for Final Fantasy XVI, it may not get my full attention until August. It's crazy how so many of the games that interest me are coming out around the same time.
The next few weeks of games for me are bonkers as I have four high priority games and nowhere near enough time lol. FFXVI just came out, Rain Code is next week, and then Trails Into Reverie is the week after! Pikmin 4 is only two weeks after that! I’m hosting the Reverie ST so that gets highest priority, but I also want to make sure if no one else does it that Rain Code at least gets a discussion thread since I’m sad seeing these big, but not big enough games get no home for discussion on Fami. I’m going to fail try to juggle all of these games, but yeah it’s going to be wild.

I am also determined in the middle of all of this to actually not drop Golden Sun The Lost Age I had started. I think it’ll work out since FFXVI being so intense/brutal means I only want to play it late at night, so I should be able to keep juggling Golden Sun which I’m glad about.

I remember hearing from someone reputable that FFIX was much further out than it being leaked suggested. Probably wait until 2024 / 2025 was the impression I got from them.

I remember hearing from someone reputable that FFIX was much further out than it being leaked suggested. Probably wait until 2024 / 2025 was the impression I got from them.
Between 16, the remake of 7 and whatever Asano does next/is doing, it's honestly not too surprising, if a bit disappointing. Although 2025 would be the 25th anniversary, so that might be not too bad either.

I’m hosting the Reverie ST so that gets highest priority, but I also want to make sure if no one else does it that Rain Code at least gets a discussion thread since I’m sad seeing these big, but not big enough games get no home for discussion on Fami.
I don't think I will make it in time for Reverie (tail-end of CS 3), but I will be there for Rain Code. I am willing to help out with the discussion thread if need be.

The next few weeks of games for me are bonkers as I have four high priority games and nowhere near enough time lol. FFXVI just came out, Rain Code is next week, and then Trails Into Reverie is the week after! Pikmin 4 is only two weeks after that! I’m hosting the Reverie ST so that gets highest priority, but I also want to make sure if no one else does it that Rain Code at least gets a discussion thread since I’m sad seeing these big, but not big enough games get no home for discussion on Fami. I’m going to fail try to juggle all of these games, but yeah it’s going to be wild.

I am also determined in the middle of all of this to actually not drop Golden Sun The Lost Age I had started. I think it’ll work out since FFXVI being so intense/brutal means I only want to play it late at night, so I should be able to keep juggling Golden Sun which I’m glad about.
I’m sure Raincode will get some discussion, if not an ST. I’m really looking forward to it, to the point I may even wait on FF16 until like August so that I can play Raincode, Ghost Trick, and some other stuff first

I don't think I will make it in time for Reverie (tail-end of CS 3), but I will be there for Rain Code. I am willing to help out with the discussion thread if need be.
Awesome! Yeah if someone like you wants to collaborate, host it yourself, or even put in the work to make a more fancy thread absolutely go for it! My plan as is was to make a post in the news thread and maybe also the Visual Novel and General Discussion thread to try to find if someone was interested in hosting. If not, my plan was to make a barebones Discussion Thread sort of like my Bayonetta Origins thread just so we could have a home for discussion. I was pretty sad last year for example Ai NirvanA Initiative didn’t have a thread. But yeah, let me know!

I’m sure Raincode will get some discussion, if not an ST. I’m really looking forward to it, to the point I may even wait on FF16 until like August so that I can play Raincode, Ghost Trick, and some other stuff first
So far no one has claimed making an ST for Rain Code. I just mentioned this to @SirArthur in my post above, but anyone interested in stepping up should help make a thread happen :)

So far no one has claimed making an ST for Rain Code. I just mentioned this to @SirArthur in my post above, but anyone interested in stepping up should help make a thread happen :)
I've never made an ST before but you gonna start somewhere 😅. My last day at work before summer break is Tuesday, so Ill gather info for now.

You can always replay the original game while you wait for the remake. It’s perfect as it is anyway.

I've never made an ST before but you gonna start somewhere 😅. My last day at work before summer break is Tuesday, so Ill gather info for now.
Awesome! Make sure to make it official in the ST ST. People enjoying seeing images, but they are not required :) Have fun with it!

Played some more FF7 Remake. I'm really enjoying the fact I can experience the story quasi-blind because I never liked the original much and thus largely ignored it since its release. Apart from some popculture osmosis, I have no idea what awaits me next :D
Some thougts on chapters... uh 9ish onwards:

• Cloud is such a dork in this game!
  • Aerith's sass level is over 9000
  • Loved the whole dress-up and infiltrate the boss' lair storyline and I'm impressed they actually doubled down on the camp in that chapter, as a big fan of Yakuza, I felt right at home xD
  • They made me fight a damn house, wtf.
  • Kinda sad I didn't get to fight a ghost train in the train graveyard but I guess Tifa dropkicking a ghostly chariot is almost as cool as Sabin supplexing a train in FF6 :LOL:
  • (20+ year old spoilers for a character death) Poor Jessie, you never stood a chance after your ill father and loving mom were revealed back then :'(
Also the combat has grown a lot on me over time, I was a bit sceptical at first but I really think it's a good compromise between the classic turn-based and the modern action combat. It never really overwhelms me, even though I'm still occasionally cursing, it flows quite nicely (something that for exampled "Tales of" never managed to do for me). I wouldn't mind something similar when the KOTOR remake comes around (different developer, I know but they could still get their inspiration from there).

Played some more FF7 Remake. I'm really enjoying the fact I can experience the story quasi-blind because I never liked the original much and thus largely ignored it since its release. Apart from some popculture osmosis, I have no idea what awaits me next :D
Some thougts on chapters... uh 9ish onwards:

• Cloud is such a dork in this game!
  • Aerith's sass level is over 9000
  • Loved the whole dress-up and infiltrate the boss' lair storyline and I'm impressed they actually doubled down on the camp in that chapter, as a big fan of Yakuza, I felt right at home xD
  • They made me fight a damn house, wtf.
  • Kinda sad I didn't get to fight a ghost train in the train graveyard but I guess Tifa dropkicking a ghostly chariot is almost as cool as Sabin supplexing a train in FF6 :LOL:
  • (20+ year old spoilers for a character death) Poor Jessie, you never stood a chance after your ill father and loving mom were revealed back then :'(
Also the combat has grown a lot on me over time, I was a bit sceptical at first but I really think it's a good compromise between the classic turn-based and the modern action combat. It never really overwhelms me, even though I'm still occasionally cursing, it flows quite nicely (something that for exampled "Tales of" never managed to do for me). I wouldn't mind something similar when the KOTOR remake comes around (different developer, I know but they could still get their inspiration from there).
Loved reading your thoughts! I grew up with FF7, but I felt it didn’t quite hold up for me like some of the other classics I loved when I replayed it a decade plus later. Really dug how they’ve handled the Remake so far. Tons of reverence for the original game, but then it expands on it and puts its own mark on it.

Hell House is one of the all time best boss fights lol.

Talking about SaGa: where was Emerald Beyond two days ago? The five people who care must be terribly demoralized! 😈
SaGa is legit my biggest want every time a Direct or other similar event rolls around. Emerald Beyond, SF2 or Unlimited Saga - any of the three would get me very excited. Incredible series.

I decided I’m juggling Golden Sun 2 with FFXVI and I’ve made some more progress with the former as I got the boat last night and started exploring the Eastern seas. Made me think about how these big moments are often lost in modern games as getting a vehicle always opens these games up in such a big way and the space means even more when you don’t have fast travel. Closest equivalent I can think of was getting a robot in Xenoblade X and then again with getting flight. In Golden Sun’s case I’ve probably found about ten different areas I could go which was neat. Once I had my fun there, I did peek at a guide to get back on track. Just entered Aqua Rock. If the guide is broken up reasonably, it appears I’m getting fairly close to halfway through so that’s cool. Having a great time here even more than the first one.

Loved reading your thoughts! I grew up with FF7, but I felt it didn’t quite hold up for me like some of the other classics I loved when I replayed it a decade plus later. Really dug how they’ve handled the Remake so far. Tons of reverence for the original game, but then it expands on it and puts its own mark on it.

Hell House is one of the all time best boss fights lol.
I often mock SquareEnix, sometimes even rightfully so but they did a good job with this game. And yeah, the house was an interesting boss fight, caught me offguard the first time but thankfully you can just restart the battle :)
I’ve probably found about ten different areas I could go which was neat. Once I had my fun there, I did peek at a guide to get back on track. Just entered Aqua Rock. If the guide is broken up reasonably, it appears I’m getting fairly close to halfway through so that’s cool. Having a great time here even more than the first one.

Also happy to see you're having fun with Golden Sun 2, it really opens up quite a lot once you get your ship and there's a lot of things to find. It's really something you don't get much of in modern games anymore (as "old man yells at cloud" as that sounds). The game takes a bit to start but I think it's the best of the series (though I'm a bit biased because GS2 was basically what got me started with the genre)!

Talking about all these games I need to play and I still started Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology yesterday, lol.

I really like it so far! It kind of reminds me of Triangle Strategy with tough choices you have to make. Things play out a bit differently, of course, but that was the first comparison that came to mind. I'm also excited to keep experimenting with combat. There's lots of opportunities for combos, high risk/reward plays, and exploiting enemy formations.

I'm also still working through Crisis Core. I think I could get it done very soon if I blazed through the main story, but I keep getting sucked into side quests and creating overpowered materia builds. I should still be able to finish it this week like I originally planned.

Started Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster, the music is very good and it's a joy to see it in a big screen, but I immediately noticed 2 things:
1. The ATB at normal speed is very slow, had to crank it to max (didn't have to do this with 4 and 5 so I'm guessing it's something specific to this version)
2. I think the game is harder. I've replayed this more than 40 times and this is the first time the guard killed all my parties when Locke is defending Terra at the beginning. Dude was dishing 90 damage constantly (and moogles have like 120 hp).

I think the game is harder
IIRC there's a bunch of stats in the game that just don't work right which may or may not have been fixed in the PR. But they also did do a balance pass I think across the whole 6 games so it's possible they're not quite a cakewalk any more if you know what you're doing.

IIRC there's a bunch of stats in the game that just don't work right which may or may not have been fixed in the PR. But they also did do a balance pass I think across the whole 6 games so it's possible they're not quite a cakewalk any more if you know what you're doing.
There's totally something going on , Vargas destroyed and I'm not doing a low level run or anything like that

And again, Final Fantasy V gracing us with it's superiority

oQG9TW7.jpg

R-Type Tactics getting delayed now, guess it was kinda expected since they were silent since the original announcement

I was looking forward to that, but it’s not like I’m short of games to play. If it means a better game in the end it’s all good.

I’ve been slowly making good progress on Golden Sun The Lost Age lately. I just wrapped the Eastern Sea yesterday so I started exploring some of the islands in the Western Sea. Pretty daunting to have two huge open sections of the world map that have so many places open to you at once. I’m busy all day tomorrow, but I can see myself focusing on this the most right now with the games I’m juggling as I’m certainly getting closer to the end.

My favorite thing in this stretch was reaching Lemuria which the first game in particular really builds up and is the big goal for the middle of the game. There’s a lot of events you have to clear to make it happen, so it feels satisfying to finally enter. I also have to give a shoutout to the very amusingly named character Lord Conservato I met yesterday. I haven’t met a character so blatantly signaled as a bad guy in a while lol. Wonder if he’ll actually show up to cause trouble down the road or not further lol.

Ok I think I finally found the issue around the difficulty in FFVI PR, so with the PR they fixed how the speed stat actually affected the ATB in 4,5 and 6. Now 6 in particular was skewed toward the player which would make it so that some times you could even act twice before enemies. Since the ATB was fixed to work as expected now the difference in speed between you and the enemies is more balanced so they act more. Also the IA now focus on using more special attacks.

I was looking forward to that, but it’s not like I’m short of games to play. If it means a better game in the end it’s all good.
My thoughts as well lol; I was really excited to play this during the summer, but I can wait.

I beat Origami King last night. Stellar game, absolutely the second best Paper Mario game for me only behind 64.

Next up, back to Grandia III!

I'm taking a bit of an RPG break right now, playing Raincode atm and probably going right into Ghost Trick after that. I am planning to play FF16 as my next big one, though. Glad to see Reverie getting some pretty good reviews, I'm sure I'll be able to play it... in a few years :p

Finished CS3, after a month of procrastinating on the second to last chapter. Comparing it to CS1 and CS2, its an improvement in combat, graphics and scope (no surprise). From a narrative point, its a rollercoaster and I think the reason is because of its length. I clocked in 105 hours (I did all the side quest) versus 65 and 70 for CS1 and CS2, respectively (with all the side quests). It had really good highs but the lows were like molasses lol.

I did not like cast at first but they grew on me. It helps that the core cast was "smaller". It was cool seeing old characters and their roles in the story. Since I played Zero/Azure in japanese, hearing the english dub of some of the characters was a slap to the face. Not that they were bad but they felt odd given how cartoony some of them are. Debating on playing CS4 with the japanese cast lol.

Overall had a great time with the game, really been enjoying myself as I dived deeper into the trails game. I had 2 crashes(?), basically the game would load for ages, some of the bigger areas aren't optimized. I wont start CS4 for a bit, got Ghost Trick and Raincode for the future, and my copy of Reverie arrives a week after release so by the time I get to it, I hope we get Kuro news (or Ys X).

Finished CS3, after a month of procrastinating on the second to last chapter. Comparing it to CS1 and CS2, its an improvement in combat, graphics and scope (no surprise). From a narrative point, its a rollercoaster and I think the reason is because of its length. I clocked in 105 hours (I did all the side quest) versus 65 and 70 for CS1 and CS2, respectively (with all the side quests). It had really good highs but the lows were like molasses lol.

I did not like cast at first but they grew on me. It helps that the core cast was "smaller". It was cool seeing old characters and their roles in the story. Since I played Zero/Azure in japanese, hearing the english dub of some of the characters was a slap to the face. Not that they were bad but they felt odd given how cartoony some of them are. Debating on playing CS4 with the japanese cast lol.

Overall had a great time with the game, really been enjoying myself as I dived deeper into the trails game. I had 2 crashes(?), basically the game would load for ages, some of the bigger areas aren't optimized. I wont start CS4 for a bit, got Ghost Trick and Raincode for the future, and my copy of Reverie arrives a week after release so by the time I get to it, I hope we get Kuro news (or Ys X).
CS3 has been on my radar a long time, but I want to play Azure first. Going back to more of what I loved about CS1 sounds like a blast, along with the things you pointed out. But that does sound REALLY long. I think my CS2 playthrough was around 80 hours, though? Been a while. And it'll definitely be interesting to see the characters come together from different games.

CS3 has been on my radar a long time, but I want to play Azure first. Going back to more of what I loved about CS1 sounds like a blast, along with the things you pointed out. But that does sound REALLY long. I think my CS2 playthrough was around 80 hours, though? Been a while. And it'll definitely be interesting to see the characters come together from different games.
I should have mentioned that I experiment alot with characters/quartz so I fight more often lol. That might be why it was over 100 😅. Still a bit more longer than CS1&2

Back
Top Bottom