• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Bayonetta Origins Discussion Thread

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Hello! Welcome to the Bayonetta Origins Discussion Thread. This is the official Fami home to discuss Bayonetta Origins!

If you are unfamiliar, there was a secret teaser of this game inside Bayonetta 3. They patched it to make it easier to access, but initially you had to find three keys in those dimensional rift areas and buy a story book in the shop. In the teaser you wandered through a fairy tale like forest and solved some basic puzzles with Bayonetta as a young child. A little over a month later, it was revealed to be a full game!

Barely three months later, the game is out and people are playing. Share your thoughts and discussions here as you play!

Last edited:
This game is just as cute as I thought it would be! Chesire's such a funny cat.

I love how colorful the game is! And, crazy as it sounds, it actually has me interested in the story of a Bayonetta game for once.

I’m really glad the game is going into the faeries that started showing up in Bayo3. 1&2 were relatively thorough in explaining the different factions that were at play, but the faeries just kinda showed up in 3.

Thank you for the quick ST. Looking forward to seeing impressions from trusted people here.

A bit disappointed that the game is only $60. I guess it won't be that immersive.

I tried the demo briefly but it really wore out my patience in the 5 or 10 mins I gave it. I'm sure it must get better based on the reviews.

Barely know anything about it, just saw the reveal trailer, and then since it didn't get much marketing I thought might as well go in blind. I love PlatinumGames, especially when they work with Nintendo for their recent output, so let's go, and it looks beautiful.
Received my copy, excited to try it later today or tomorrow !

I played partway through Chapter 3 today. The combat is really fun! I like being able to control Cereza and Chesire at the same time. I was worried before release that it would be too complicated, but it works really well!

I tried the demo briefly but it really wore out my patience in the 5 or 10 mins I gave it. I'm sure it must get better based on the reviews.
The first 5 or 10 minutes are mainly story and a few walking segments. I’d say you don’t get to the real gameplay until 45m to an hour in.

This interview is amazing by the way and it talks about why they made this specific game, working on it alongside Bayo 3, and more - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/b...d-to-prepare-for-more-bayonetta/1100-6512391/
Huh that is pretty cool

It's neat to hear that Bayo Origins was sort of directly asked for by Nintendo. Bayonetta is just such a weird and interesting series, honestly. An IP owned by Sega, developed by Platinum, and funded (and apparently pushed) by Nintendo.

I haven't had much chance to play yet, I'm only about an hour in but literally every facet of this game's presentation is stunning. The actual visual presentation of the graphics is gorgeous and the storybook cutscenes are wonderful too, but even the menus and UI are a joy to look at and interact with. They really nailed it!

The game is a pure delight. Love this world and this presentation, and the game truly gets tricky with its mechanics. When Bayonetta returns to being an action game, this is the kind of thing I want to see more from the series in terms of presentation. It just shows an inventiveness and down-to-earth approach to its characters and world building that is fresh for PlatinumGames as a whole and makes me care more for this character than previous entries in the series.

I think this is going to go down as one of the unsung gems of the year.

Was hoping to join the Bayonetta discussion today, but it looks like my copy got delayed to tomorrow :/ I have an open schedule tomorrow though so I should have a lot of time to play at least.

The game is amazing. Incredibly charming. I'm so glad they're allowed to take risks like this.

Played into Chapter 4 today! Loving this game more and more. Not even joking when I say it's the best Bayonetta; beautiful visuals, the world is wonderful to explore, combat is fun, good puzzles... and a nice story! I was in a Tir na Nog in one of the chapters and it just hit me what so much of the game reminded me of... From Software's best work, The Adventures of Cookie and Cream! The way you use each analog stick to control the different characters, solving puzzles in the Tir na Nog to help the other advance a bit further... it all reminded me of that classic. They learned from the best!

<- Me being an absolute fool not realizing that the R button skills that Cheshire uses in the overworld can also be used in combat. I should've figured as much since regular Cheshire uses the counter but it never dawned on me that Wood Cheshire's R button can be used even on non-context sensitive enemies as a long-range grapple and that you use this to pull down flying enemies.

Small side observation; it's really funny how the last two Bayonetta games have ostensibly been a re-litigation of Scalebound and Astral Chain's unused concepts. Bayonetta 3 more obviously had the big monster combat from Scalebound, but Scalebound in concept was originally a Wii game where you play as a little girl commanding dinosaurs, not unlike the concept for Cereza. Astral Chain was also originally a fantasy game where you used magic before Nintendo asked to turn it into a sci-fi cyberpunk style game, and that's been clearly reappropriated into this game.

Lovely game. I'm about 40% and i'm still having a blast. Unfortunately I've seen people posting spoilers left and right unmarked on twitter so some of the surprises have been ruined, but i don't think it'll be such a big deal in the end.
I hope they continue to experiment with more titles exploring Cereza's youth.

This interview is amazing by the way and it talks about why they made this specific game, working on it alongside Bayo 3, and more - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/b...d-to-prepare-for-more-bayonetta/1100-6512391/

Thanks for sharing this interview! The team came across very well in this interview, and you can feel their passion.

I had planned to get the game after I finish Bayonetta 3 (which I haven't started yet), maybe asking for it as a gift this Christmas. The interview made me think maybe I can't wait that long, and I would like to support the team when it might count the most.

At the 26% and loving the game so far. But I'm taking that percentage with a truck load of salt. The opening was 10% in no time, but I gained a mere 1% in the past hour...

Been playing this game in co-op with my partner and loving it; it’s great how they split the controls for Cereza and Cheshire to the left and right Joy-Con so that co-op play like this is possible! The only annoying thing is that as Cereza, I can’t open the menu or advance prompts with the left Joy-Con…

Does anyone know if the - button is ever used for something later in the game? Because if not, I think I might just map that to the A button and SL to the + button so that I can open the menu and advance prompts as Cereza. Sucks that my partner can’t navigate menus with the stick as Cheshire on the right Joy-Con, though, and there’s no way to really fix that with button remapping…

I’m also surprised that co-op play isn’t being advertised as a feature with this game. Even Astral Chain advertised co-op play, with the back of the box even listing 1–2 players (while that’s not the case with Bayonetta Origins, strangely), despite the fact that I feel that Astral Chain works less well for co-op than this game…

Last edited:
Quoted by: Tye
Was hoping to play again today, but now my copy is delayed to Monday 🙃

I am interested, but felt the demo started a bit slow for a Platinum game. Can anyone tell me if the combat/puzzle gameplay gets deeper as it goes?

I am interested, but felt the demo started a bit slow for a Platinum game. Can anyone tell me if the combat/puzzle gameplay gets deeper as it goes?
So far 26% in, but some of those Tír na nÓg do require some team work with the two being separated and each having to do their own task to progress.
It honestly reminds me a bit of some of the platforming sections of Astral Chain where one needs to do their own thing and the other as well to get going.
The game start ridiculously slow, but it's got quite a nice pace now.

So far 26% in, but some of those Tír na nÓg do require some team work with the two being separated and each having to do their own task to progress.
It honestly reminds me a bit of some of the platforming sections of Astral Chain where one needs to do their own thing and the other as well to get going.
The game start ridiculously slow, but it's got quite a nice pace now.
Thanks for the response! Sounds like it could be fun... Just not really sure if the slower pace is something I want in a Platinum game. I do love me some Astral Chain though, so that comparison gives me some interest in it.

Damn, it's actually Nintendo who went to PlatinumGames and asked them to do a Bayonetta prequel game, that's crazy. Obviously Kamiya was like "oh, I already thought about it" lmao
Nintendo is really invested in Bayonetta, wouldn't surprise me if they buy the IP from Sega and allow Platinum to go wild with it.

Finished the game, was a wonderful experience all around except a certain character rearing his ugly head again when I was hoping we were done with him.
I can't believe there is no in game gallery, or am I missing it? What a shame since theres so much wonderful art and I was taking screenshots like crazy during my playthrough.

I’m happy they are because Bayonetta, despite what some people on Twitter post-Bayo 3 are saying, is an amazing and charming IP with tons of potential.
Bayo 3 was great ! Absolutely loved the focus on controlling big demons, and there was way much more than what I thought !
People be acting as if Bayo 1 & 2 didn't also have some non-sensical story lol

Just got the final core last night. Gonna take a break now. I've been playing all weekend long. It's still March, but this is definitely my goty so far. When it was first revealed, I thought this was a quick & cheap mobile game starring baby bayo. I'm glad there's a demo (even though it's so slow but so was okami.) Really appreciate the amount of content and polish this game has.

Also, when in combat I find it easier to just focus on the bayo's big red circle and control that than trying to find where she is.

I’m happy they are because Bayonetta, despite what some people on Twitter post-Bayo 3 are saying, is an amazing and charming IP with tons of potential.

What are people on Twitter saying? If it's discourse about the ending then that's fine. It's been discussed a bunch already and that's nothing new.

I dont know why it didnt strike me until now, but this is a sneaky co-op game despite not being advertised as one. While I do think it might get a bit on the easy side if one take this path but it would definitely work.

Quoted by: Tye
I dont know why it didnt strike me until now, but this is a sneaky co-op game despite not being advertised as one. While I do think it might get a bit on the easy side if one take this path but it would definitely work.
Yup, it definitely works for co-op, as I described here:
Been playing this game in co-op with my partner and loving it; it’s great how they split the controls for Cereza and Cheshire to the left and right Joy-Con so that co-op play like this is possible! The only annoying thing is that as Cereza, I can’t open the menu or advance prompts with the left Joy-Con…

Does anyone know if the - button is ever used for something later in the game? Because if not, I think I might just map that to the A button and SL to the + button so that I can open the menu and advance prompts as Cereza. Sucks that my partner can’t navigate menus with the stick as Cheshire on the right Joy-Con, though, and there’s no way to really fix that with button remapping…

I’m also surprised that co-op play isn’t being advertised as a feature with this game. Even Astral Chain advertised co-op play, with the back of the box even listing 1–2 players (while that’s not the case with Bayonetta Origins, strangely), despite the fact that I feel that Astral Chain works less well for co-op than this game…
Only problem is bringing up and controlling the menu and advancing things with the A button… I’d still like it if someone who’s gotten further into the game could confirm whether or not the - button is used for anything so I can know if it’d be safe to remap that button to A to get around some of that issue.

I don't have Cereza and the Lost Demon proper at this point, but looks really promising from the demo. I'm glad to see the general reception is indeed favorable.

For the little bit of it I've experienced so far, controlling both characters at once was enjoyable. It just worked. I'm sure simultaneous controls will become a bit more involved as it goes, but it's a good start.

The visual design, also, is on point. Even just the shading marks shifting captures the tone.

In any case, it means absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of things, but I did notice my local store was sold out of ... however many copies they bothered to order.

Will cross post from ERA

Beat the game! Overall thoughts

• This is a full fledged game. It will take you just as long to beat as any other game in the series. Let’s get that out of the way
  • phenomenal art direction, presentation and atmosphere
  • best story in the series. I love this look at Cereza, there was legitimate work put in building her up throughout the game. In the beginning she’s a more timid and frightened girl and by the end you see her on the path to becoming the Bayo we love. The relationship with Cheshire was very well done. Cereza/Bayo is my favorite character in gaming, and this adds to my love for her even more.
  • combat has its moments, but I was getting a bit tired of it by the end of the game. Obviously not as good as the main series. It shined the most when you had to figure out how to use Cheshire’s abilities on specific bosses/enemies traditional Zelda-style.
So the finale being a high speed chase setpiece, as well as the final boss unlocking witch time was a change of pace that came at just the right time, combat wise
- the map is a bit daunting, and discouraged me from backtracking. But now that I’m not feeling the push of the main story anymore I’ll probably take a crack at it. Puzzles were easy but still pretty enjoyable overall, there’s some great Zelda-like design in here

Anyways
Ooooh Jeanne side story!!! And I just watched the first cutscene, is that Singularity I’m hearing?👀 excited to see where this goes

All in all, this is such a great spinoff that expands what the series can be while still cleverly incorporating things we love from it. I’m genuinely shocked we got this out of Bayonetta, but so happy. Nintendo, and hell even other publishers in general, should be taking more risks/expanding their IP with stuff like this.

With Bayo 3 introducing the multiverse, I’m not exactly sure how BO will tie in to the future of the franchise, or where exactly the future of the franchise is even going. But if it means we get cool different reinterpretations of Cereza and Jeanne’s story through games like this, I’m all for the multiverse. Hell, maybe even do a game with one of the alternate Bayos that was already in B3 (Tokyo or France specifically :p)

I feel this is missing from this thread, the soundtrack is great but the musical launch trailer is absolutely amazing.
So if you havnt heard it yet, please enjoy.

I got a little bit of time into the game last time before I slept, so only at chapter 3.

I'm ready to experience something special.

Four days late, but my copy finally arrived in the mail today! I barely started playing with only 9% completion, but I’m having a good time so far. The presentation is really good and I’m intrigued about the possibilities of where the game will go.

Using the map for 100% completion is rough

Some areas it’s fine, but the ones with multiple layers and like seven connecting points to other areas that also don’t tell you what those areas are near the arrows is just so confusing, and overshadows some really great level design

Back
Top Bottom