• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Bayonetta Origins Discussion Thread

I just cleared chapter 3 and this game is great! The visuals / world design are wondrous which helps make exploration so engaging and the two partner gameplay is a lot of fun. Definitely my favorite stab at this Platinum has taken so far.

I’m not planning to rush through it, but I’ll probably be playing quite a bit the next few days so it seems a little inevitable lol.

Finished it earlier with everything done minus the time trials. I really enjoyed it except for the four or so hours I spent backtracking to find the last three items before I opened the final area. I don't recall a map ever chugging as many balls as the one in this game does. It's completely useless. The game expects you to remember that path you took one time five hours ago that barely appears on screen when you run past it. It was maddening.

Luckily the ending was fantastic and completely washed away all my rage. Now hopefully the time trials will fill in my missing 3%, and then I will start the postgame content.

For those who have finished the game, is the - button ever used for anything later in the game or not? My partner and I haven’t played in a few days, but when we get back into it I wanna know if it’d be safe to remap the - button or not…

I just bought this game for my goddaughter she seems to really love it. I havent tried it myself but I plan to this weekend

For those curious the time trials do add completion percentage. Don't bother attempting them until you have all four elements or you won't be able to qualify for the best tier of reward for some of them.

For those who have finished the game, is the - button ever used for anything later in the game or not? My partner and I haven’t played in a few days, but when we get back into it I wanna know if it’d be safe to remap the - button or not…
Unless I'm forgetting something - is only used in the upgrade menu to practise moves. The game automatically puts you there the first time you learn some of them.

Unless I'm forgetting something - is only used in the upgrade menu to practise moves. The game automatically puts you there the first time you learn some of them.
Okay, thanks! So it’s probably safe to remap it to A to make co-op work more smoothly then, nice.

I finished hard mode 100% today and finished unlocking everything. The game is excellent apart from the map; which is really only a problem when backtracking for 100%. I highly recommend it.

I finished this last night and loved it. I think this is a game a lot of people are sleeping on. That finale in particular was great.

I didn't see the Morgana twist coming, but it was a really cool sequence of events. Seeing Cereza get Wicked Weaves and Witch time was nice.

Just finished this game. Loved it! Definitely the best of the Bayonetta games. Took me longer than I expected, about 15 hours. I hope we'll see another game in this style out of Platinum, it's so stylish and pretty!

Just finished the game and really enjoyed it, but the game is really split into two separate entities. The first part is everything from the start until just before the Point of no Return, and everything from that point on until the end. Overall, the overworld and the exploration of it all is fun, but the map design is an absolute and utter mess. I love the idea of the various Tir na nÓg, but 90% of them revolve around the exact same combat scenarios, and with some luck there a slight challenge added to it. There's like three or four of them that are made of platforming challenges with Cereza and Cheshire separated from each other, which are few too few and far and then there's that one Mario 64 sliding one.
It's a bit of a shame that the game decides to throw in some rarely (or even never before) used mechanics at you towards the end. I totally understand that the final two skills are locked behind the final section, but barely (or not) using some of the other mechanics at all until this point is just odd. Everything is there to lift the game from a decent game to an outright great game, but it just kind of meanders most of the time until the end when it decides that it can be more than just a Metroid/Zelda/Okami lite experience.

I'm absolutely looking forward to more of the series, be it the traditional Bayonetta games or this. But if this is the path they'll take moving forward, I truly hope they do more with the concept. Because there's one hell of a great game in here, but it just doesn't show itself until the final hour and a half or so.

Also: Release the soundtrack already, you cowards!

Phenomenal game, better than Bayonetta 2 for me. Shame it's been so slept on, there will be very few better Switch games releasing this year.

Fsozp72aIAEkZNX.jpg

image.png

Are you kidding me?

Can somebody help me please? I'm trying to find the last Vitality Blossom and I have no idea where can it be.

I'm worried this game is getting overlooked, as I haven't seen many of the media outlets I follow talk about it. After playing through the credits of the main story, I think it's tied for my favorite Bayonetta game.

I'm worried this game is getting overlooked, as I haven't seen many of the media outlets I follow talk about it. After playing through the credits of the main story, I think it's tied for my favorite Bayonetta game.

It's a fantastic game, and is definitely being overlooked. I feel like if this game released as an indie or something it'd be one of those games people would be talking about among their favourite games of the year with a metacritic score in the high 80s easily - thinking about games like Tunic, Death's Door, Cult of the Lamb etc here. Being attached to Bayonetta instead of being a new IP has probably hurt it in that word of mouth kind of way. Also probably the price point isn't as easy for people to just jump into as most of those games, but it easily sits among them in terms of quality.

It's a fantastic game, and is definitely being overlooked. I feel like if this game released as an indie or something it'd be one of those games people would be talking about among their favourite games of the year with a metacritic score in the high 80s easily - thinking about games like Tunic, Death's Door, Cult of the Lamb etc here. Being attached to Bayonetta instead of being a new IP has probably hurt it in that word of mouth kind of way. Also probably the price point isn't as easy for people to just jump into as most of those games, but it easily sits among them in terms of quality.
I had a similar thought. Being a spin-off within a franchise is probably putting it at a disadvantage compared to mainline titles in its franchise (i.e. Bayonetta 3) or the alternate reality in which it was a new IP. Since Bayonetta is already a semi-niche IP, it being a closely connected spin-off in terms of branding maybe meant its audience was even further limited. That said, part of why I like the game is its ties to Bayonetta. I'm wondering how the conversation around the game would be different if it came out before Bayonetta 3 (say, early 2022) as a "get ready for Bayonetta 3" marketing beat. I mean...

Jeanne's bonus campaign solidifies the ties to Bayonetta 3 and would have teased some plot elements from that game. Plus, some elements in Bayonetta 3 that I felt somewhat came out of nowhere (pretty much everything connected to faeries) would maybe have been easier to buy into had this game come out first.

Last edited:
I get why they wanted a demo with save transfer but I feel this one did more harm than good. The opening is very slow and has too many tutorials without letting you have fun like you can later on. Maybe they should update the demo with a glimpse of middle game stuff.

I've been putting more time into the game and got to chapter 6. Hell yeah, this game is really good. I know many scoff at the price but shid I have no regrets. Such a fun time and even the combat is getting a bit more in depth.

Skill trees!

After I finished the big game that I had been juggling alongside Bayonetta Origins (Trails To Azure after 80.5 hours), this game finally has my full attention. My time for games was limited the last two days when I cleared a particularly tall tower area where you rescue your first wisps, but my energy and time is high today so I’m eager to keep going.

100% a detrement that its a bayonetta game. As a new ip, especially for a price that fits, this could be a indie hit. In my boom, judging by the demo (and the % it shows... i was at 3% already when i started to fetch the water, and i skipped all that fluff for the most part... and the demo endes i think at 10%?), and honestly, if this is 10% already, and it starts so slow and basic, 60$ just dont seem like a good value to me.

I get why they wanted a demo with save transfer but I feel this one did more harm than good. The opening is very slow and has too many tutorials without letting you have fun like you can later on. Maybe they should update the demo with a glimpse of middle game stuff.
Yeah, i stopped the demo before end of chapter 1, and only showing it a friend we played through it. the game starts only with chapter 2, and the start of this game is super slow.
They are leaning to much into the storybook aspect, but a childrens storybook has waaay faster pacing,
you would be through a handful of those in the time this game even finishes its setup.

Its artstyle/music are top (even if its not hitting my tastes, but the friend i played it with loved it),
its storytelling is really slow (aggrevatingly so), its gameplay mechancis are interesting, but in the demo all of them where used so shallow and it was so easy that it didn't incentivise me ...

it would be a huge hit as a 30-40$ new ip. As a 60$ spinoff of the Bayonetta franchise its simply positioned wrong. And also, the friend that only watched Bayo1 for the most party was kinda unhappy with bayonettas portrayal, in that it didn't feel like here at all, even compared to child cereza in the first game.

It simply will be one of those "hidden Gem" games for the Switch generation that fans will overstate how good it was, talk about it like it was a genre bending masterpiece, while simply being a really good game, with bad/wrong positioning.

The last couple of hours of this game are amazing. Lots of stuff I never saw coming. Nobody escalates the stakes like Platinum.

I think you can get some as a reward for saving the wisps and talking to Colm. Is it one of those?
Thanks, but no. I did everything in the game (saved all the wisps, got all the platinum prizes in the time trial) and thought, that the last HP point is needed for the completion. The HP in the menu screen looks like this:
juVW8yQdr34.jpg

But then I just gave up, beaten the game and was very surprised when I got the 100% on my save file. Right now I'm just thinking that the 15th HP point doesn't even exist.

Ok so I'm on chapter 9 with about 57% completion (haven't decided if I want to go full backtracking yet)

If I were to beeline the story about how long would it take to finish? I may go for knocking it out this weekend.

Ok so I'm on chapter 9 with about 57% completion (haven't decided if I want to go full backtracking yet)

If I were to beeline the story about how long would it take to finish? I may go for knocking it out this weekend.
I can't say how much story will take, but the full completion run took around 30 hours for me.

The last couple of hours of this game are amazing. Lots of stuff I never saw coming. Nobody escalates the stakes like Platinum.
Very much this, the final two/three hours go full bonkers and it's an absolute blast. It's not their most insane escalation ever, but it certainly went into directions I never expected, and it fits the narrative perfectly.

Thanks, but no. I did everything in the game (saved all the wisps, got all the platinum prizes in the time trial) and thought, that the last HP point is needed for the completion. The HP in the menu screen looks like this:
juVW8yQdr34.jpg

But then I just gave up, beaten the game and was very surprised when I got the 100% on my save file. Right now I'm just thinking that the 15th HP point doesn't even exist.
Yeah, both my 100% files look like that. I think they either formatted that screen wrong or removed another health upgrade during development.

I'm so confused how I seem to have collected everything, no more wisps, pedals or upgrades, yet I'm stuck at 97%...

how is a full completion run 30h when the demo was 10% for maybe 1:30? Is the % counter busted, or is the last 10% a tedious colectathon that takes long without a guide?

how is a full completion run 30h when the demo was 10% for maybe 1:30? Is the % counter busted, or is the last 10% a tedious colectathon that takes long without a guide?
I started playing with the full game, but I heard about this from the demo which colored my expectations walking in and firsthand I found that counter is super misleading at the start. There’s times you can play for well over 30 minutes beyond that once you properly get into the game and feel like you did a bunch of stuff (treasure chests, challenge rooms, cutscenes etc.) and it only ticks up 1%. The game is far larger than the opening percentage you get suggests.

I started playing with the full game, but I heard about this from the demo which colored my expectations walking in and firsthand I found that counter is super misleading at the start. There’s times you can play for well over 30 minutes beyond that once you properly get into the game and feel like you did a bunch of stuff (treasure chests, challenge rooms, cutscenes etc.) and it only ticks up 1%. The game is far larger than the opening percentage you get suggests.
ok, so its one of those cases where the % are busted since the team just roughly accounted the progress instead of tracking progress over playtests to give a more representative value. got it.

Could actually play into the value proposition for the game, kind of bad that the demo over tracks the progress, leading to people assuming a shorter game then it is when the price is already a topic.

ok, so its one of those cases where the % are busted since the team just roughly accounted the progress instead of tracking progress over playtests to give a more representative value. got it.

Could actually play into the value proposition for the game, kind of bad that the demo over tracks the progress, leading to people assuming a shorter game then it is when the price is already a topic.
Fully agree. They probably should have disabled percent for the demo because it sets a weird expectation.

I finally finished Octopath 2 and wanted something non-RPG to play so I've put in 4-5 hours in this so far and it really is one of the best looking games on the Switch. I don't think there's any question, it's just gorgeous. It takes too long to really give you new abilities but otherwise it's one of my sleeper hits of the year so far with Paranormasight I think.

I'm so confused how I seem to have collected everything, no more wisps, pedals or upgrades, yet I'm stuck at 97%...
As far as I can tell, you need to beat all time trials (not sure if you need platinum or gold).

I'm loving the game so far (just collected the third big power-up), but as others said the map is not clear at all and I fear collecting 100% of the items for this reason. Being honest, doing 100% of any game like this is usually boring and frustrating, as you can miss some little area or some hidden thing that is hard to spot, so I ask: Is it worth it to do 100% of the map in this game? Is there any good side content/secret that is not one of the Tír na nÓg?

I'm loving the game so far (just collected the third big power-up), but as others said the map is not clear at all and I fear collecting 100% of the items for this reason. Being honest, doing 100% of any game like this is usually boring and frustrating, as you can miss some little area or some hidden thing that is hard to spot, so I ask: Is it worth it to do 100% of the map in this game? Is there any good side content/secret that is not one of the Tír na nÓg?
Yeah there were some things I spent like an hour trying to get to because the path layout on the map said I should be able to walk right to it but I most definitely could not. It seems like there are a lot more layers to the areas than the maps show, so you may be above a place where there's a path to the right and the map will show you as standing where there's a path to the right but there just isn't. It makes tracking down items and Tír na nÓgs reeeaaally tough.

Other than that I absolutely love this game, maybe even more than Bayo3 itself.

As far as I can tell, you need to beat all time trials (not sure if you need platinum or gold).
Ah, yeah that would explain it. I've done just one I believe and no interest to do another billion Tir na nÓg that consist of nothing but combat... But faster!

Finished the game. Oh boy, those last few chapters were so good! Great game overall, only negative I have is that navigating the map isn't too intuitive. .

So I definitely missed some secret or hidden boss. During the credits with the voice acting cast there was a ??? one. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Singularity or something since this game features a couple of things from Bayonetta 3

Also lol: This was definitely the spinoff game Hellana Taylor mentioned during her stunt last year.

Finished the game. Oh boy, those last few chapters were so good! Great game overall, only negative I have is that navigating the map isn't too intuitive. .

So I definitely missed some secret or hidden boss. During the credits with the voice acting cast there was a ??? one. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Singularity or something since this game features a couple of things from Bayonetta 3

Also lol: This was definitely the spinoff game Hellana Taylor mentioned during her stunt last year.
You didn't miss anything yet. If you enjoyed the game, I encourage you to check out the Jeanne mini-campaign you automatically unlocked upon beating it. The Jeanne story can be completed pretty quickly.

Last edited:
You didn't miss anything yet. If you enjoyed the game, I encourage you to check out the Jeanne mini-campaign you automatically unlocked upon beating it. The Jeanne story can be beaten pretty quickly.

That's good to hear, I'll do that tomorrow then.

Played a ton tonight and had an awesome time. Sitting outside the point of no return so I’m excited to finish the game tomorrow.

I would have thought the fight right before this was the final boss given how exciting it was!

Played a ton tonight and had an awesome time. Sitting outside the point of no return so I’m excited to finish the game tomorrow.

I would have thought the fight right before this was the final boss given how exciting it was!

It's a great fight! And the finale is even better. Hope your enjoy it!

I finished Bayonetta Origins! I had a great time overall and the final chapter was amazing!

I loved how you get witch time for the final battle and the normal camera perspective. It really is the true first Bayonetta fight!

Incidentally, I loved how the most basic angel enemy was a boss in this game lol.

I definitely want to poke around the world a bit more even if I don’t go for 100%. Some unfinished business with an area I never reached and also that post game mode. But yeah, beautiful world, some fun, unique gameplay, and a good story all comes together pretty well. Cheshire <3

I finished this weeks ago and really liked it, that ending sequence was spectacular. I was going to go for 100% but then the map frustrated me so I gave up on that. This is definitely a game not to sleep on though.

I just finished it, I loved most of the game, summarizing my thoughs:

Pros:
-Game looks stunning, makes me wonder how Bayo3 is the Bayonetta game with the worst art direction and Origins the one with the best art
-Music is great
-Most gameplay ideas are good and work fine
-Platinum knows how to make a game feel responsive and every animation impactful

Cons:
-Map is terrible, and the game making lots of collectables listed on one area but only accessible from another area makes it even more confusing
-Most tír Na nÓg are combat scenarios, only 6-7 (IIRC) contain puzzles
-The game has too many context-sensitive actions, I got really frustrated during some situations where I wanted to perform Cheshire's elemental action only to see him jumpin off a cliff, or the opposite, I wanted to jump as Bayonetta to see her entering hug mode

Overall I think is a good game, it feels mostly polished and has this "Platinum feeling" that makes it better than most games on the same genre/style.

I think that using the Bayonetta brand and pricing it like any other big Nintendo game are errors though, which will make it less a success than it deserves.

I know people have been saying this game was “harmed” by the Bayonetta branding but honestly I’m so glad it had it.

Not only because I love the series, but because you just don’t get these quirky spin-offs with big IP much anymore.

I mean look from Nintendo’s POV - they seem to now have the mindset of “if it’s a new concept, make it a new IP.” Like with how Splatoon started as Mario. And hell, look at Splatoon. 8 years of massive success and not a spin-off to show for it.

The only series that get these have been grandfathered in at this point (Zelda, Mario, FF) because they either have established spinoff branches or people expect spin-offs from them because they’ve done it before.

It may not reach as many as it could have, but I find Platinum going “we want to take this new idea and use it to expand our IP past what people normally conceive it as” is much more inspiring to me than “let’s just make a new IP out of this.” Shows a lot of commitment to the franchise, and reassures me of its future

Back
Top Bottom