• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Yeah Unicorn Overlord is definitely not what I would call 'light' - it's 50-80 hours long with a ton a menu management and number crunching :p. Great game, just not good for what you wanted I'd say
Ooh I heard it was just 50, didn’t know it could go up to 80! Like A Dragon 8 taking me 105 hours, Rebirth around 95, and then Dragon’s Dogma II around 60 definitely sucked up some of my extra big game enthusiasm right now haha.

I definitely plan to circle back to it though! The next two months are looking empty with no high priority games for me so good time to tackle my backlog!

Ooh I heard it was just 50, didn’t know it could go up to 80! Like A Dragon 8 taking me 105 hours, Rebirth around 95, and then Dragon’s Dogma II around 60 definitely sucked up some of my extra big game enthusiasm right now haha.

I definitely plan to circle back to it though! The next two months are looking empty with no high priority games for me so good time to tackle my backlog!
It seems to vary a lot depending on how much side stuff you do and how much team tinkering you like to do - that eats up a lot of time. I'm at around 74% complete according to my map (doing everything possible) and I'm at around 65 hours, I think last time I checked. I've heard of people finishing the game in 50 hours, but also heard of some going closer to 100 :p

Unicorn Overlord is still on my play list. I have the game but haven't started yet. Still working my way through Persona 3. And Paper Mario is fast approaching. And Trails Through Daybreak has caught my eye. And Ys X is still later this year. And Metaphor is looking better. And...

Persona 3 Reload - Baby baby!
Baby baby baby baby baby baby baby

I wish there was a way to swap out which battle track was the 'ambush' track. The other one is still pretty good, but IMO it's nowhere near as good as Mass Destruction

He works quick! Already sending me screencaps of FFVII and its goofy polygonal models.

Me, on other hand...35 hours into Rebirth after two months. 55 more to go!
12 hours over here, still just outside Kalm. Work hasn't exactly been calm, wish I could've played more

Just beat Triangle Strategy for the first time on Hard Mode after 80 hours, and I now have to recommend it to anyone and everyone who craves turn based fantasy combat tactics- what a ride!

Of the four “ultimate” paths you eventually stride, I am satisfied with the repercussions of my actions…. It’s certainly not a perfect conclusion, it’s certainly not exactly as I would have personally done, but hindsight is 20/20 and the game really makes you feel for a bunch of talking pixels. Decisions are hard, the results are harder, and sooner rather than later you find yourself making political power plays thinking “what went wrong?” and “what is truly best?”. No easy answers! I love how the writers really respect the audience with this one.

The combat is frequently challenging and extremely rewarding on Hard mode. A damn generation defining game for me, but I haven’t played some of the other heavy hitters yet. Wow.

Haven't checked in here in a while – but I'm back with some first impressions of my still very, very early Harvestella playthrough.

The game is really cosy overall so far. The starting village? Cosy. Your farm just outside said village? Super cosy. Fishing? Very cosy. The soundtrack? Underlining the cosiness very nicely.

The story setup is intriguing. Naturally, I haven't gotten that far yet (just started Chapter 3), but it seems promising. Combat could use some depth, but I won't judge it just yet, because I can see different job and skill combinations impacting things on that front rather significantly.

Even then, the focus has oddly enough been more on the farming side for me personally so far. I never really played a farming sim and thought this game would be a good entry point for me since it blends the genre with familiar RPG mechanics. I was fully expecting to lean more heavily into the latter. But instead, I'm just out there chilling, wasting my days fishing, buying seeds, planting and watering crops. Dungeon running has become a means to an end – to progress the story, unlock more tools, earn more money. All so I can afford upgrading the farm.

Things look really promising!

Just entered what I assume is the final dungeon of FFIX Memoria gotta take a break to make some food and handle a thing or two, then I’m diving into this… probably with encounters off

Then I have to decide what’s next. Might let you folks chime in on the backlog XD

Just beat Triangle Strategy for the first time on Hard Mode after 80 hours, and I now have to recommend it to anyone and everyone who craves turn based fantasy combat tactics- what a ride!

Of the four “ultimate” paths you eventually stride, I am satisfied with the repercussions of my actions…. It’s certainly not a perfect conclusion, it’s certainly not exactly as I would have personally done, but hindsight is 20/20 and the game really makes you feel for a bunch of talking pixels. Decisions are hard, the results are harder, and sooner rather than later you find yourself making political power plays thinking “what went wrong?” and “what is truly best?”. No easy answers! I love how the writers really respect the audience with this one.

The combat is frequently challenging and extremely rewarding on Hard mode. A damn generation defining game for me, but I haven’t played some of the other heavy hitters yet. Wow.
I'm actually finishing up the route I know you were on this weekend. Can't wait to see how things fall apart for Serenoa and company as a consequence of following his conscience.

Haven't checked in here in a while – but I'm back with some first impressions of my still very, very early Harvestella playthrough.

The game is really cosy overall so far. The starting village? Cosy. Your farm just outside said village? Super cosy. Fishing? Very cosy. The soundtrack? Underlining the cosiness very nicely.

The story setup is intriguing. Naturally, I haven't gotten that far yet (just started Chapter 3), but it seems promising. Combat could use some depth, but I won't judge it just yet, because I can see different job and skill combinations impacting things on that front rather significantly.

Even then, the focus has oddly enough been more on the farming side for me personally so far. I never really played a farming sim and thought this game would be a good entry point for me since it blends the genre with familiar RPG mechanics. I was fully expecting to lean more heavily into the latter. But instead, I'm just out there chilling, wasting my days fishing, buying seeds, planting and watering crops. Dungeon running has become a means to an end – to progress the story, unlock more tools, earn more money. All so I can afford upgrading the farm.

Things look really promising!
Friend of mine livestreamed some of the midgame for me. We had to stop in a few places because he was laughing so hard over my injoke/PSA "Reminder: this is a farming simulator".

Just entered what I assume is the final dungeon of FFIX Memoria gotta take a break to make some food and handle a thing or two, then I’m diving into this… probably with encounters off

Then I have to decide what’s next. Might let you folks chime in on the backlog XD
Some of those final encounters can be tricky so hopefully you don’t need to level up from dungeon enemies.

Some of those final encounters can be tricky so hopefully you don’t need to level up from dungeon enemies.
Switch port. So I also got the 9999 attack and battle assistance(invincibility kinda plus insta-trance) on(well the latter when I need it). Plus my party average for my active group is 40 ish. With good gear.

As for what I’m contemplating next, Hack GU, DQ3, Saga Frontier and P5R are on the list

Finally returned to Trials of Mana (2020). Put it down after a while back in 2020/21, I honestly don’t remember why. Given it’s been this long, I’ve started a new run with Kevin as my main pick this time around. Having a good time so far, just love the general vibes and the combat system. It’s so charming! Makes me anticipate Visions of Mana even more.

I've been prodding at Dragon Quest IX on and off, but it's really difficult to maintain momentum with it when so much of my playtime is just grinding back up to my previous level because I switched everyone's vocations to try and get more abilities and better stats. I was optimistic this system would be better than I remembered after I realized it was a lot more streamlined than VII's version, but it's really not.

Regardless of the ridiculous amount of time I'm putting into marginal gains (honestly I probably could have spent the time doing normal grinding and had about the same results...), I am utterly stumped by the Dreadmaster. This is the strangest difficulty spike I've ever seen. I folded almost immediately against him, and everything I'm reading says the boss is basically impossible without 10+ more levels.

From where though? Why? It's not like I'm leveling every few encounters, I'm at a perfectly reasonable level for this area with my party in the early 20's. The enemies in this dungeon aren't completely nonthreatening, but I'm not at a big risk of being one shot either.

And all of this would be one thing if Metal Slimes were as easy to hunt as in XI or 3DS VIII, but they're a huge pain in the ass to find here, arguably worse due to the overworld enemies than they would be with random encounters, and despite how long I've been playing I still don't have anything better than Metal Slash to deal with them so every encounter I manage to win feels like the RNG taking pity on me to comical extents as the slime sticks around for like 4 turns and everyone constantly misses.

Why do wands have such garbage accuracy, by the way? What stat is causing that? The MP restore effect would be a lot more useful if their attacks actually landed even half the time.

Anyway, I love hunting Metal Slimes and I don't even want to attempt Metal Medleys here because there's no remotely good way to go about it, but at this point I might have to just go with it and (hopefully) mow down all the other unavoidable encounters I get into while looking for a spawn. Despite this being an open section of the game, I've already done everything else available to me, so I have no better options left...

I'm actually finishing up the route I know you were on this weekend. Can't wait to see how things fall apart for Serenoa and company as a consequence of following his conscience.
It's honestly way more complicated story wise than I thought in terms of how the past informs Serenoa's present and future, and the final boss had me wrecked for days until I read a useful tip to alleviate the burden.

A certain alliance also left a very sour taste in my mouth that my Serenoa would never consider, but eh, such is life. :LOL:

Dwaaaa… finished FFIX, got me tearing up a bit. These kind of stories always get me, FFVIII got me too. Really great ride. Probably IX=VIII>>VII for me.
The couple songs are both gonna get me for a while DX.
Now for a break before starting X… hmmm gotta decide what tho, Hack GU, Persona 5R and Saga Frontiers are on the top tho. Could just do a story in frontiers first

Ugh tho anyone have a quick ref for the SF choices? I miss manuals
Edit: got one, starting with Red

Last edited:
I've had a good bit of time to sink into Eiyuden Chronicle (on PS5, so can't comment on Switch performance) and so far it's pretty good! It's got tons of that old-school JRPG charm to it, but it sticks to that 'old-school' nature quite a bit to the point it might put some people off with a lack of QoL features and a very slow first ~10 hours. Once you get your classic Suikoden castle and get to recruiting people in earnest the game really starts clicking but it'll be a little while until you get there.

I've also only done one each of the 'war strategy' and 'one on one duel' gameplay elements which seems low unless there just aren't that many of them in the game.

Well started Red’s story in Saga Frontier, yeah I’m liking the vibes of this game even if I don’t entirely get how unlocking new attacks work(seems like random odds if you use a weapon enough times?). Just did the Bacarrat section at the start. Calling it a night

charlotte-trials-of-mana.jpg

Not sure whether to hate or like her, haha.

Well started Red’s story in Saga Frontier, yeah I’m liking the vibes of this game even if I don’t entirely get how unlocking new attacks work(seems like random odds if you use a weapon enough times?). Just did the Bacarrat section at the start. Calling it a night

Red and Emelia are considered the most newbie friendly so you chose correctly. Skill progression I believe is fairly random but I think there’s pre-requisites that gate you from getting absurdly powerful attacks on a lucky roll (legend of mana had a similar system because I think that was the SF team’s next project).

Definitely a game to keep notes on hand as you play. I got maybe half way through Emelia’s story before getting distracted by something newer but I had like three pages of notes just tracking down where everything was in the worlds and how to get from point A to point B.

It’s a really cool experience if you like RPGs that just drop you into an environment and expect you to figure things out. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the series is getting more attention with the rise of open world games. But it also totally makes sense that people would’ve bounced hard off the franchise in the 90’s when it bucked a lot of design standards that were present in the genre.

Red and Emelia are considered the most newbie friendly so you chose correctly. Skill progression I believe is fairly random but I think there’s pre-requisites that gate you from getting absurdly powerful attacks on a lucky roll (legend of mana had a similar system because I think that was the SF team’s next project).

Definitely a game to keep notes on hand as you play. I got maybe half way through Emelia’s story before getting distracted by something newer but I had like three pages of notes just tracking down where everything was in the worlds and how to get from point A to point B.

It’s a really cool experience if you like RPGs that just drop you into an environment and expect you to figure things out. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the series is getting more attention with the rise of open world games. But it also totally makes sense that people would’ve bounced hard off the franchise in the 90’s when it bucked a lot of design standards that were present in the genre.
Remastered has story notes with progression hints. That’s helping at least on the more structured ones

I've had a good bit of time to sink into Eiyuden Chronicle (on PS5, so can't comment on Switch performance) and so far it's pretty good! It's got tons of that old-school JRPG charm to it, but it sticks to that 'old-school' nature quite a bit to the point it might put some people off with a lack of QoL features and a very slow first ~10 hours. Once you get your classic Suikoden castle and get to recruiting people in earnest the game really starts clicking but it'll be a little while until you get there.

I've also only done one each of the 'war strategy' and 'one on one duel' gameplay elements which seems low unless there just aren't that many of them in the game.

I've only played for an hour and half and it made a great first impression.

Don't really have an opinon on the gameplay at the moment, but so far i've found the dialogues to be very charming and i really like how it looks too. The sprites are excellent and the 3D elements are good enough, some cool camera work during the first boss fight which i didn't expect. A lot of voice acted lines as well, and it doesn't sound bad so far.

The game probably didn't have a huge budget, but it doesn't feel "cheap" at all. Pretty happy with it so far.

I have to say that the lack of footstep sounds is super annoying...just a bizarre choice.

When you’re exploring early on in Red’s story in saga frontier, decide to tackle something that’s probably not a story progresser (Sei’s tomb) and find the hidden weapon there, but then accidentally get stuck in a battle with a paralysis lock loop with one party member DX
Thank goodness for auto save.
Edit: Ok I can feel it. This thing is evil and should not be touched

IMG_8843.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I just reached the part of Red’s story in Saga frontier where things open up. I also accidentally recruited my first party member on the way out XD, the ships medic bot. Now I’m glad I found that memory board earlier on. Think I may check a guide for some party members and side quests.

Last night I finished Mario and Luigi Paper Jam after 25 hours and 20 mins. It was a pretty thorough playthrough I felt and I just flew through it. How Long To Beat had it at 27 hours for the main story and 33 hours for main and extra which I did.

There’s definitely elements of this game I didn’t care for namely the paper thin story (“Uh oh Bowser is causing trouble” is about it) and more generic world as well as stuff like the Papercraft battles being a bit of a dud, and yet I still largely walked away liking the game. I already talked about how Paper Mario mixed up combat in a great way which somehow overcame the very odd decision to have rooms largely only have one enemy encounter multiple times, but I hadn’t talked about traversal yet. When the game starts, a majority of the fields are quite open which is a big change for the series as you have plenty of room to run and jump around. You get four more abilities as you go which each have a snappy feel to them and set up some solid interactions and puzzle/challenge variety. While the new feel is most refreshing, one thing I thought was very cool is that as you progress giant cardboard pieces are falling down from the sky which shakes up how you navigate each area by adding new obstacles and puzzles and by opening and closing paths. One last thing I want to touch on briefly, I did enjoy the Bros and Trio attacks in the game more than Dream Team at least. Most of them were fun to execute, offered good spectacle, and interestingly all had their place even as the game went on which I found impressive. Thanks to the generous amount of free heal blocks I found myself using them frequently in tougher encounters (the final dungeon in particular is a big difficulty spike) and right before the second to last boss fight I unlocked the Quick Item perk for Mario and Luigi which led to constant special moves in the final battles as major recovery no longer wasted a turn.

Overall, I had a great time with Mario and Luigi Paper Jam and I’m so glad to have finally played the last Mario RPG I haven’t finished. I’ll let it sit for a bit before I try ranking them, but it’s definitely my favorite of the three 3DS RPGs. Now that I’m done, I’ll be sticking with some shorter games for a bit, but it won’t be too too long before I pick another RPG.

I've been thinking about having a bit of a short-list in terms of JRPGs in the near-future. I'm currently playing Gust's Ar Tonelico 2 (via the retranslation patch released several years ago); after I'm done with it, I've decided to play either Trails of Cold Steel (already played the Sky and Crossbell arcs of the Trails series), or Fire Emblem: Three Houses (would be my third FE game I've played through; finished POR and Sacred Stones last year).

That said I expect both to feel a little similar given the fantasy anime school setting and social sim type elements, but at the same time it'll probably be a little funny to compare the two lol

Also Ar Tonelico 2 is pretty good, but at about six hours in I feel like I'm too early in the game to give a firm judgment on it. I'll probably talk more at length about it as I play more of it.

54 hours and finally finished Rise of the Ronin. Overall one of the best action RPG I have played in a long time with some awesome action pieces. Great combat with multiple type of weapons and attack styles that made any build fun to play (even unarmed) but most importantly it respects your time. You don't consume stamina outside combat and there are plenty of fast travel points so you even in short sessions you can find collectibles or do side quests very fast (and you can even find them in your map once you have a good relation with the area).

If anything my only complaint is that despite which faction you choose, the overall story doesn't change (as they try to keep it close to historical events), and really the characters are like "well, I know you've been killing our comrades with the shinsengumi BUT we need capable swords to help us bring down the shogunate, so we need your help" and nobody cares.

Making more progress in Eiyuden Chronicle - I just got to a really interesting development that I wasn’t expecting

I had no idea that you’d end up splitting into two different groups and you literally can swap between the different parties and stories whenever you want to. I don’t entirely know how it’s going to work, I assume both have to make a certain amount of progress and then they eventually rejoin? But it’s definitely interesting!

Yesterday, I woke and played Rebirth again, but the game felt samey to me.

Whispers told me that this world had changed, couldn't find the fun in the minigames.

Some said to get out fast, looks like it's gonna last -- collect all the things and cry.

Some said it'll be OK, just go ahead and play, be sure to fill all the bars.

The Highwind is pushing me into the clouds again. I feel no blood in my veins. Time is running slow, I feel like letting go.

I like Dragon's Dogma 2.

One thing I'm really appreciating about XC3 is even though, like most JRPGs, there's an overwhelming amount of systems and customization paths, they introduce them gradually (like Persona 5 Royal) and the information for those systems always is in the menus for you to look back at on any time, instead of having to remember everything or go to some online guide. Just got to chain attacks and crafting gems.

Also...
I set the difficulty to easy, please don't judge me too harshly. Am baby.

I just played the first hour of TMS #FE.

What a weird game… Fun though! I like that it just literally styles out its own premise. Of course the equipment list is called ‘wardrobe’ and the characters are listed as cast members in session lineups for special moves. It’s incredibly colourful, with minor NPCs depicted as just coloured silhouettes and the battle arena is like a pop concert. Battles are like SMT (I’m not really seeing the Fire Emblem aspect outside of the mirage spirits that give each character their super powers). But the setup is like… power rangers, hiding within a talent agency, hiding within a JRPG? It’s cheesy, but warm and earnest about it at the same time. It’s all quite snappy and moves at a reasonable pace too (although I find it hilarious that the kids phones all work in the other world).

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next. Not because the main plot is engaging (can’t say that ‘monsters stealing human’s ‘performa’’ is particularly interesting to me or even original), but because the writing at least is fun, and so is the combat.

Last edited:

What a weird game… Fun though! I like that it just literally styles out its own premise. Of course the equipment list is called ‘costume’ and the characters are listed as cast members in session lineups for special moves. It’s incredibly colourful, with minor NPCs depicted as just coloured silhouettes and the battle arena is like a pop concert. Battles are like SMT (I’m not really seeing the Fire Emblem aspect outside of the mirage spirits that give each character their super powers). But the setup is like… power rangers, hiding within a talent agency, hiding within a JRPG? It’s cheesy, but warm and earnest about it at the same time. It’s all quite snappy and moves at a reasonable pace too (although I find it hilarious that the kids phones all work in the other world).

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next. Not because the main plot is engaging (can’t say that ‘monsters stealing human’s ‘performa’ is particularly interesting or original), but because the writing at least is fun, and so is the combat.

Enjoy! I ended up liking Tokyo Mirage Sessions probably about as much, if not more, than Persona 5 Royal, and much more than the studio’s follow-up work, Soul Hackers 2.

Aside from some late-game story stuff, the Performas, and the weapon “triangle” used in battles, the Fire Emblem stuff is fairly minimal. What a unique package, though! Some of the Sessions chains are so fun to watch.

What a weird game… Fun though! I like that it just literally styles out its own premise. Of course the equipment list is called ‘wardrobe’ and the characters are listed as cast members in session lineups for special moves. It’s incredibly colourful, with minor NPCs depicted as just coloured silhouettes and the battle arena is like a pop concert. Battles are like SMT (I’m not really seeing the Fire Emblem aspect outside of the mirage spirits that give each character their super powers). But the setup is like… power rangers, hiding within a talent agency, hiding within a JRPG? It’s cheesy, but warm and earnest about it at the same time. It’s all quite snappy and moves at a reasonable pace too (although I find it hilarious that the kids phones all work in the other world).

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next. Not because the main plot is engaging (can’t say that ‘monsters stealing human’s ‘performa’ is particularly interesting or original), but because the writing at least is fun, and so is the combat.
That’s awesome PixelKnight! Glad you are enjoying it! For me it took a little while to get going, but as more characters joined the party, the dungeons got a little more complex, and the character side quests came into view I ultimately really enjoyed it. Also yeah definitely agree the style, presentation, and themes are good, unique fun! Curious to hear your thoughts as you keep going :)

That’s awesome PixelKnight! Glad you are enjoying it! For me it took a little while to get going, but as more characters joined the party, the dungeons got a little more complex, and the character side quests came into view I ultimately really enjoyed it. Also yeah definitely agree the style, presentation, and themes are good, unique fun! Curious to hear your thoughts as you keep going :)
Just completed chapter one, ‘a star is born’. At the point the Pegasus grew rocket boosters I think I stopped being surprised. :D

The song ‘Reincarnation’ is cool, liked that.

I realised about halfway through the dungeon that the phone is full of text messages from the people wandering along through the dungeon with me. I kinda skipped them as it’s 90% ‘you can do the thing’ and stickers, but it’s a fun depiction of how these kids talk I guess.

I thought the boss of that dungeon was reasonably tough (no idea if I was under levelled but I shot up two levels after beating it). I didn’t even know bosses could do session attacks until she one-shot killed my party leader guy at full health. I had to use a couple of revival beads but it might just be the usual front-loaded difficulty of SMT.

I suppose the dungeons are supposed to be tackled piecemeal? I found the dungeon just a little too long with all the fiddling around opening up paths while fighting enemies. It’s a bit irritating to have to constantly go back to base to get new weapons and unlock new fusion skills. It’s cool the game tells you when they are available but I’d rather it was also all doable through a menu considering how easy it is to teleport home. Still, I guess the idea is it’s pacing, that you do a floor or two of the dungeon then go home and upgrade the party.

Vending machines to get health back from random drinks with funny names is cool.

Last edited:
Just completed chapter one, ‘a star is born’. At the point the Pegasus grew rocket boosters I think I stopped being surprised. :D

The song ‘Reincarnation’ is cool, liked that.

I realised about halfway through the dungeon that the phone is full of text messages from the people wandering along through the dungeon with me. I kinda skipped them as it’s 90% ‘you can do the thing’ and stickers, but it’s a fun depiction of how these kids talk I guess.

I thought the boss of that dungeon was reasonably tough (no idea if I was under levelled but I shot up two levels after beating it). I didn’t even know bosses could do session attacks until she one-shot killed my party leader guy at full health. I had to use a couple of revival beads but it might just be the usual front-loaded difficulty of SMT.

I suppose the dungeons are supposed to be tackled piecemeal? I found the dungeon just a little too long with all the fiddling around opening up paths while fighting paths. It’s a bit irritating to have to constantly go back to base to get new weapons and unlock new fusion skills. It’s cool the game tells you when they are available but I’d rather it was also all doable through a menu considering how easy it is to teleport home. Still, I guess the idea is it’s pacing, that you do a floor or two of the dungeon then go home and upgrade the party.

Vending machines to get health back from random drinks with funny names is cool.
Reincarnation absolutely rules and is easily my favorite song in the game. Anytime it comes up on shuffle when I’m driving I raise the volume a bunch and sing along haha.

From what I remember, yeah you’ll be entering and exiting the dungeons frequently enough as you tackle them. IIRC, longer ones have a warp pad at the entrance so there’s clear break points if your party is up to it. There’s no time limit / calendar system like Persona so you can take your time and leave to tackle side content as you please.

Definitely check out the text messages as you go. I remember some fun stuff in there as the game goes on. It used to be on the Wii U gamepad, but it got pushed to a menu on Switch.

Played a bit more TMS. In the second dungeon and had my first game over- which was after I was trying to figure out the auto battle command settings and then it got my team wiped in two rounds. And then I found that I hadn’t made a manual save in an hour as it doesn’t auto save after major cut scenes. So I had to go back and do a dull-as-dishwater side quest again as well as skip through a ton of story scenes. Grr.

Is it me or does the story seem to leap forward here? Tsubasa has literally had one singing lesson and now she’s a pop idol, on magazine covers and doing music videos and photoshoots.

Still, this dungeon seems more interesting than the last one, teleport maze seems simple enough.

Hmmm, getting tempted to just jump in and start Hack GU

Oh and saga frontier has been interesting
Played a bit more TMS. In the second dungeon and had my first game over- which was after I was trying to figure out the auto battle command settings and then it got my team wiped in two rounds. And then I found that I hadn’t made a manual save in an hour as it doesn’t auto save after major cut scenes. So I had to go back and do a dull-as-dishwater side quest again as well as skip through a ton of story scenes. Grr.

Is it me or does the story seem to leap forward here? Tsubasa has literally had one singing lesson and now she’s a pop idol, on magazine covers and doing music videos and photoshoots.

Still, this dungeon seems more interesting than the last one, teleport maze seems simple enough.
This game is great

Its been a super fun year to go back to games I never played. I finished SMT 4 Apocalypse recently, took me around 50 hours. I wont go in depth about my experience, need some time from beating it, but I will say it was super fun.

In terms of the Megaten games on 3ds (all of them), I found it to be the "easiest", by that I mean in normal mode (Conflict) I barely lost, outside of Krishna (that form) and some late bosses. I do think the Partner system being a bit busted contributed to that lol.

The only thing that I am mixed a bit is the tone of the game, I haven't played SMT 4 in a bit but it more "lighthearted", but that might be because the cast is a bunch of teens. But its still a great smt game, it did make me want to fire up (later) SJR and experience that masterpiece lol.

Its been a super fun year to go back to games I never played. I finished SMT 4 Apocalypse recently, took me around 50 hours. I wont go in depth about my experience, need some time from beating it, but I will say it was super fun.

In terms of the Megaten games on 3ds (all of them), I found it to be the "easiest", by that I mean in normal mode (Conflict) I barely lost, outside of Krishna (that form) and some late bosses. I do think the Partner system being a bit busted contributed to that lol.

The only thing that I am mixed a bit is the tone of the game, I haven't played SMT 4 in a bit but it more "lighthearted", but that might be because the cast is a bunch of teens. But its still a great smt game, it did make me want to fire up (later) SJR and experience that masterpiece lol.
Strange Journey is still my favourite SMT game, the vibe is just great

Apocalypse had some great ideas- I liked seeing Krishna and co as major players rather than just the usual Lucifer etc. I didn’t think all the generic ’power of friendship > literal gods’ stuff with the younger half of the cast acting like they are on school holidays worked at all as it’s a complete tonal shift, like SMT as a Saturday morning cartoon. However, I did enjoy it, and it rounded out the combat of SMTIV a bit. I like that it introduced demons having affinities for elemental powers.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for that (and Devil Survivor) to get ported to Switch. Please, Atlus. After you're done with Metaphor Re: Fantasia or whatever you call it, throw your fans from the NDS era a bone.
They’d probably do the Redux 3DS version. While it’s QoL elements are very welcome, unfortunately the new dungeon and character and path that is clearly the best option make the game and it’s story actively worse, by offering the usual inane golden route ‘why make a difficult choice when here’s an easy, heroic best pick’.

It’s a shame really. I thought the expanded 3DS versions of Radiant Historia, Devil Survivor and especially Etrian Odyssey 1/2 all added welcome new stuff to the games. But Strange Journey was the one I wanted and it’s largely ‘isn’t our new character cool, powerful and mysterious, follow her for the best ending’ which kills the delicate, carefully-crafted social balance and fractured friendships between the international crew of the ship.

unfortunately the new dungeon and character and path that is clearly the best option make the game and it’s story actively worse, by offering the usual inane golden route ‘why make a difficult choice when here’s an easy, heroic best pick’
Yeah I've heard about that golden route, and it seems like a Persona-fication that the game did not need. If we do get the Redux, I'm just gonna ignore it, happy endings be damned.

In my current attempts to kill time until Hades 2 EA trim my backlog, I ended up trying Nioh again (had it a while back from an Epic free game). And wow, that's a lot better than I was expecting

For a bit of context my repeated attempts to get into Elden Ring had kinda convinced me I was falling out of love with Soulslikes, but damn does Nioh feel like a surprising breath of fresh air compared to From's stuff so far (though I'm pretty early on, just did the first 3 or so main missions). The combat feels a lot smoother and more dynamic (which makes sense given Team Ninja's background) and there's a lot of nice conveniences - like ninjutsu/omnyo making items much more enticing to use and having dedicated slots for ranged weapons. The early bosses have been fairly brutal, more so than your usual first Souls bosses, in a way that's probably a bit unfair but felt fairly satisfying to overcome. I'm even a fan of the loot system

Definitely looking forward to continuing and probably checking out the rest of Team Ninja's catalogue down the line (already own Nioh 2 thanks to a recent bundle)

My other main backlog game right now is Marvel's Midnight Suns, a game that I would be complaining no one bought at launch if it wasn't for the fact that I'm one of those people. It's a really fun strategy/deckbuilder/Persona thing with a storyline I find surprisingly solid given all I usually hear about it are complaints. It's definitely very comic booky stuff, to a fault, but it's fairly well done for that

In my current attempts to kill time until Hades 2 EA trim my backlog, I ended up trying Nioh again (had it a while back from an Epic free game). And wow, that's a lot better than I was expecting

For a bit of context my repeated attempts to get into Elden Ring had kinda convinced me I was falling out of love with Soulslikes, but damn does Nioh feel like a surprising breath of fresh air compared to From's stuff so far (though I'm pretty early on, just did the first 3 or so main missions). The combat feels a lot smoother and more dynamic (which makes sense given Team Ninja's background) and there's a lot of nice conveniences - like ninjutsu/omnyo making items much more enticing to use and having dedicated slots for ranged weapons. The early bosses have been fairly brutal, more so than your usual first Souls bosses, in a way that's probably a bit unfair but felt fairly satisfying to overcome. I'm even a fan of the loot system

Definitely looking forward to continuing and probably checking out the rest of Team Ninja's catalogue down the line (already own Nioh 2 thanks to a recent bundle)

My other main backlog game right now is Marvel's Midnight Suns, a game that I would be complaining no one bought at launch if it wasn't for the fact that I'm one of those people. It's a really fun strategy/deckbuilder/Persona thing with a storyline I find surprisingly solid given all I usually hear about it are complaints. It's definitely very comic booky stuff, to a fault, but it's fairly well done for that
Nioh is great (and the sequel is even better!) but it’s not strictly a Soulslike - or at least it’s different enough that it’s worth talking about. Nioh has a present narrative instead of lore, for one thing. It’s also level-based and the action is faster than even Bloodborne, closer to like a Ninja Gaiden. And the Diablo-style loot, as you mentioned.

What this all means is that it has a far more arcade-y feel to it than a From game even if it does have a lot of similarities. I still like it a lot but some things are IMO definitely not as good - but the game is different enough that it succeeds pretty well on its own terms.

Be prepared though - it’s a long game, especially if you do most or all of the side missions. And it can get a bit repetitive with those in particular

Been having fun messing around in saga frontier but it doesn’t have me that strongly.

Trying to decide if I’m going back to Ryza or starting Hack GU

Back
Top Bottom