• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

IV absolutely nails a certain vibe and aesthetic that aligns it really closely for me with grimy, dark urban fantasy anime from the late '80s and '90s. Permanent night, shit hitting the fan, swords, magic, demons and ruined skyscrapers everywhere.

Honestly IV just need the changes introduced in Apocalypse and it would be the best game ever. Apocalypse in War difficulty is still one of my favorite experiences playing videogames.

I would love to play SMTIV again.
Me too, me too. Such an amazing vibe and atmosphere, enjoyable story, difficulty, and huge demon selection.
Honestly IV just need the changes introduced in Apocalypse and it would be the best game ever. Apocalypse in War difficulty is still one of my favorite experiences playing videogames.
What were the changes made for Apocalypse? The main one I can think of is they added damage to the dark/light attacks so they're not just insta-kill anymore, which was very welcome.

Me too, me too. Such an amazing vibe and atmosphere, enjoyable story, difficulty, and huge demon selection.

What were the changes made for Apocalypse? The main one I can think of is they added damage to the dark/light attacks so they're not just insta-kill anymore, which was very welcome.
The big change for me was demon affinity for skills, so a frost demon got a big bonus for using frost skills etc. It meant you could still tinker with party setup while rewarding appropriate elemental spell choices.

Bring all the Atlus DS/3DS era games over. Etrian remasters prove they can be reconfigured for one screen.

Would love to be able to play Devil Survivor duology on a Switch OLED.
I was going to say exactly that, now that Etrian Odyssey has been done, I hope this leads to a wave of more DS/3DS remasters. Not only for Atlus but in general, so many great games on 3DS that I would love to have on Switch.

Bring all the Atlus DS/3DS era games over. Etrian remasters prove they can be reconfigured for one screen.

Me imagining My World My Way HD

M7SmrVy.gif

Strange Journey would be easier to bring because you don't have to manipulate the map (which imho is what I expected full-map in Etrian HD remasters do, but still giving you the option to put icons or notes if you want)
Yeah that is one of the changes. @PixelKnight mentioned demon affinity, which honestly make demon creation more interesting because it force you choose the better skills for you demons. I also liked you can choose your partner, which would be godsend when you fight against the first boss of the game.

Overall I would like the game keep the challenge from beginning until the end, because IV, though always can offer you fights which can wipe out you party easily, it's very easy to break and the game don't get necessarily more difficult after Naraku.

But where is Strange Journey HD remaster atlus???
Yeah all of the above. Radiant Historia too
These two games would be amazing to have on switch. I would add a Atlus-adjacent (cause its Sega), and its 7th Dragon VFD. I know imagepoch is defunct but it would be awesome.

I got back to CS3 after my second zelda break, and something I noticed after playing azure-cs1-cs2 back to back, and its that VA sections are weirdly directed. This is really noticeable in CS3, where a character would be talking, VA, but Rean and the rest of the people present are not. It does not bother me but its a first for me, maybe other games do it too but since trails has a ton of dialogue its more noticieable

Strange Journey would be easier to bring because you don't have to manipulate the map (which imho is what I expected full-map in Etrian HD remasters do, but still giving you the option to put icons or notes if you want)

Yeah that is one of the changes. @PixelKnight mentioned demon affinity, which honestly make demon creation more interesting because it force you choose the better skills for you demons. I also liked you can choose your partner, which would be godsend when you fight against the first boss of the game.

Overall I would like the game keep the challenge from beginning until the end, because IV, though always can offer you fights which can wipe out you party easily, it's very easy to break and the game don't get necessarily more difficult after Naraku.
I forgot about demon affinities, that's a nice change as well. And SMT4 does definitely get easier as it goes, the beginning is brutally tough and it kind of gradually gets easier from there. But I feel like that's a tricky thing to balance, since by the nature of demons getting stronger and having access to more skills and much more customization, it's sort of in the nature of SMT games to be harder at the beginning when you have far fewer options. SMTV was kind of the same way.

Oh come on Atlus, doing dirty to my boy in strange journey and the goddam best piece or armor the Demonica Suit. Justice for Tadano Hitonari! Strange journey is part of those 30 years!

n7zLoQs.jpg

I really was into my run of DQ1 through beating the green dragon, but not as excited for the second half. I really do think the Rimuladour part of the game might be the peak

This is very cool. We are actually going to get to hear more about Dragon’s Dogma II very soon.

I finished The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom a few days ago after 110+ hours. I shared a big breakdown of my thoughts in a 2,200+ word post in the spoiler thread if you are interested. Short version though, I really enjoyed a lot of it, though I felt it was uneven and too long in comparison to Breath of the Wild. It also had a major story element I despised which dragged down my opinion of the game overall. It’s very likely going to be one my favorite games this year, I had a lot of fun with it, but I’d be surprised if it landed on top.

With Zelda done, I’m eager to finally dive back into Golden Sun for my final Wii U VC games project. I’ve been playing small amounts off and on the last two months or so and I’m still quite early overall. It felt like today I fought my first real boss fight, an angry tree, so I think I’ve played enough to actually write a post about it. I’ve always heard this game looked great on GBA, so it’s shame it doesn’t really blow up that well on even my relatively small TV or even the Gamepad I feel. That said, the general moment to moment gameplay still feels relatively cozy. I hadn’t felt too engaged in the game until tonight as I’ve slowly gotten more spells and abilities as I’ve leveled up. You can go a bit wild with spells in this game since your energy gradually recovers outside of battle, so you can definitely play around with even your more costly multi-target spells. Also interesting is the Djinn system that lets you equip summons to boost your stats. I’m reacquainting myself with the game as it’s been two months really since I last played, but I believe the summon’s gimmick in battle works as you unequip them for an effect and then summon it for damage, which reequips it at the start of your next turn. Haven’t played anything exactly like this, so I’m interested to see how it develops as I acquire more. Other things to quickly touch on, the town gameplay has been solid so far and quick puzzle solving in the world with your psychic abilities breaks up the adventure well. I’ll be a bit busy the next few days likely, but I’m eager to put more time in where I can. My goal is to beat it before Final Fantasy XVI drops which seems doable.

One other quick RPG thing, I played a little bit of Theatrhythm today to catch up on the DLC that’s been piling up. Lot of great Chrono Trigger songs made the cut though darn there’s a great deal more I’d love to see added. Barely dipped into the Nier songs so far, but great stuff there too.

Started Grandia III on my PS2 last night. Mechanically seems like yet another leap from Grandia II, and I'm really excited! Grandia 1 on Switch is unfortunately really ugly versus the original Saturn/PS1 version, but Grandia II on Switch is actually okay, especially because it has Hard Mode which the original Dreamcast version does not have. Wish Grandia III got a modern port... either way, I'm happy to be able to play Grandia III in any capacity.
I finished The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom a few days ago after 110+ hours. I shared a big breakdown of my thoughts in a 2,200+ word post in the spoiler thread if you are interested. Short version though, I really enjoyed a lot of it, though I felt it was uneven and too long in comparison to Breath of the Wild. It also had a major story element I despised which dragged down my opinion of the game overall. It’s very likely going to be one my favorite games this year, I had a lot of fun with it, but I’d be surprised if it landed on top.

With Zelda done, I’m eager to finally dive back into Golden Sun for my final Wii U VC games project. I’ve been playing small amounts off and on the last two months or so and I’m still quite early overall. It felt like today I fought my first real boss fight, an angry tree, so I think I’ve played enough to actually write a post about it. I’ve always heard this game looked great on GBA, so it’s shame it doesn’t really blow up that well on even my relatively small TV or even the Gamepad I feel. That said, the general moment to moment gameplay still feels relatively cozy. I hadn’t felt too engaged in the game until tonight as I’ve slowly gotten more spells and abilities as I’ve leveled up. You can go a bit wild with spells in this game since your energy gradually recovers outside of battle, so you can definitely play around with even your more costly multi-target spells. Also interesting is the Djinn system that lets you equip summons to boost your stats. I’m reacquainting myself with the game as it’s been two months really since I last played, but I believe the summon’s gimmick in battle works as you unequip them for an effect and then summon it for damage, which reequips it at the start of your next turn. Haven’t played anything exactly like this, so I’m interested to see how it develops as I acquire more. Other things to quickly touch on, the town gameplay has been solid so far and quick puzzle solving in the world with your psychic abilities breaks up the adventure well. I’ll be a bit busy the next few days likely, but I’m eager to put more time in where I can. My goal is to beat it before Final Fantasy XVI drops which seems doable.

One other quick RPG thing, I played a little bit of Theatrhythm today to catch up on the DLC that’s been piling up. Lot of great Chrono Trigger songs made the cut though darn there’s a great deal more I’d love to see added. Barely dipped into the Nier songs so far, but great stuff there too.
Golden Sun is sick as hell. Very few games try to blend being an RPG with Zelda-esque dungeons. CrossCode is the only other one I can think of and that's in my top 5 games of all time.

Looking at the sale on the European eshop. Rise of the Third Power has had a hefty discount at £8.99, that’s one of the better indie JRPGs if anyone is looking for a cheap rpg.

Last edited:
So with P3R and P5T confirmed for the Xbox show now (thanks, Atlus!) the main remaining question is if there's any truth to the SMT ports and when they'll show up. This leak kind of makes me think that they're not part of the Xbox show since they didn't also appear, and that would be kind of a lot of Atlus anyway, soooo... more stuff for the Nintendo Direct that may or may not be happening June/July?

So with P3R and P5T confirmed for the Xbox show now (thanks, Atlus!) the main remaining question is if there's any truth to the SMT ports and when they'll show up. This leak kind of makes me think that they're not part of the Xbox show since they didn't also appear, and that would be kind of a lot of Atlus anyway, soooo... more stuff for the Nintendo Direct that may or may not be happening June/July?
That direct is gonna be packed.

If those rumors pan out my guess would be that any mainline SMT announcements would be during a Nintendo Direct. SMT is one of the few third party RPG series, along with Dragon Quest and Team Asano games, that I feel Nintendo wants to keep as closely associated with their brand as possible.

Uh interesting, seeems Kadokawa won't license the games anymore to NISA (or NISA didn't renew the license).

NISA does let licenses lapse. It’s not too unusual even though it’s disappointing. I never played them, but the big loss here I believe is Demon Gaze II as only the original is on Switch. Some Vita dungeon crawlers have been coming back lately so maybe that will come?

I finally got all the Persona games on switch, so I guess that's the next game series I'll focus on!

I've seen the anime for p4 and p5 (also a yt playthrough yeaars ago) so I'm looking forward to actually playing the games myself! But first Persona 3!

Uh interesting, seeems Kadokawa won't license the games anymore to NISA (or NISA didn't renew the license).

Was vaguely interested in God Wars and The Lost Child but I'm not gonna panic buy those in the next few days. Wild how soon this is, though I guess not everything even gets given advance notice.

Was vaguely interested in God Wars and The Lost Child but I'm not gonna panic buy those in the next few days. Wild how soon this is, though I guess not everything even gets given advance notice.
You aren’t really missing anything with God Wars. I enjoyed it but, despite its cool setting, it’s not a patch on FFT, Tactics Ogre, Triangle Strategy etc

You aren’t really missing anything with God Wars. I enjoyed it but, despite its cool setting, it’s not a patch on FFT, Tactics Ogre, Triangle Strategy etc

I've played both of them and you aren't really missing anything with Lost Child, but I differ with @PixelKnight , I think God Wars is actually a decent SRPG, specially since there aren't that many srpg not focused on european mediaval fantasy. Plus the updates of the complete legend make it a better package than the original release

Also , what the hell happened with God Wars 2?? I'm guessing it's cancelled since nothing new came after 2018, just interesting to see they even had the characters already done.

I've played both of them and you aren't really missing anything with Lost Child, but I differ with @PixelKnight , I think God Wars is actually a decent SRPG, specially since there aren't that many srpg not focused on european mediaval fantasy. Plus the updates of the complete legend make it a better package than the original release

Also , what the hell happened with God Wars 2?? I'm guessing it's cancelled since nothing new came after 2018, just interesting to see they even had the characters already done.
Yeah I’ve been curious about the sequel too. Haven’t played the Switch version, only on Vita, so that’s a fair point.

Been kind of busy this week (for positive reasons), but I’ve been enjoying chipping away at Golden Sun. Since I last posted here, I have a four party team now and I just crossed my first desert so I’m a decent way into the game. I’m really enjoying the brisk pacing here. Feels like you aren’t spending too long in any one place. I also appreciate how the encounter rate varies between rooms. If you are in a puzzle room the encounter rate dips or even is removed entirely. Pretty nice thing for a game with random encounters.

I don’t know how often I’ll take advantage of this, but unequipping Djinn before battles can let you summon higher tier monsters faster which helps to blitz encounters. While there are options like these, I do have go to strategies at this point like buffing Isaac and pounding on enemies with Ragnarock. I think what’s keeping it interesting is definitely the unique healing rhythms (Mia and Isaac are good healers with different strengths, but that breaks up attacking) and managing MP recharging between encounters. So yeah having fun and once my schedule clears up I’m looking forward to putting some longer sessions in.

Really really digging how Live A Live responds to player choice at the end of the game which was incredibly rare for Squaresoft games that released in the West in 90s. Very much a good example of “oh yea, the devs thought of that”, rather than just railroading you onto whatever decision the designer wanted you to make.

Really really digging how Live A Live responds to player choice at the end of the game which was incredibly rare for Squaresoft games that released in the West in 90s. Very much a good example of “oh yea, the devs thought of that”, rather than just railroading you onto whatever decision the designer wanted you to make.
I defo went from being a bit unenthusiastic about it in the prehistory section for various reasons, to really
enjoying it at the end. Game was a mixed bag but I definitely think the chapter that was added makes the ending even stronger.

I'm catching up on the Xbox show, but that was pretty good despite a lot of CGI trailers and absent dates. Starfield looks incredible, and I did not expect to see RE:Fantasy come back to life along with the other Atlus games looking really cool, too. Lots of RPG goodness on the way.

Although I admit I didn't get much out of Avowed, it looked... I don't know. Just didn't grab me, but I'm willing to give it more of a shot down the line.

I'm catching up on the Xbox show, but that was pretty good despite a lot of CGI trailers and absent dates. Starfield looks incredible, and I did not expect to see RE:Fantasy come back to life along with the other Atlus games looking really cool, too. Lots of RPG goodness on the way.

Although I admit I didn't get much out of Avowed, it looked... I don't know. Just didn't grab me, but I'm willing to give it more of a shot down the line.
Really was a great day for RPG fans. Starfield looks absurdly big and complex, Avowed looked solid (not many Elder Scrolls competitors out there), and Clockwork Revolution (I didn’t realize this was an RPG from the trailer) all from Xbox directly. We also saw Yakuza 8, the official announcements of P3R (shame it’s not a definitive edition at all) and P5 Tactica, and Re:Fantasy (hopefully it won’t have bigotry this time, the track record is bad) all at the Xbox show. Final Fantasy XVI also got its big demo announcement (first two hours of the game with save transfer) and Eternights got a release date.

Really was a great day for RPG fans. Starfield looks absurdly big and complex, Avowed looked solid (not many Elder Scrolls competitors out there), and Clockwork Revolution (I didn’t realize this was an RPG from the trailer) all from Xbox directly. We also saw Yakuza 8, the official announcements of P3R (shame it’s not a definitive edition at all) and P5 Tactica, and Re:Fantasy (hopefully it won’t have bigotry this time, the track record is bad) all at the Xbox show. Final Fantasy XVI also got its big demo announcement (first two hours of the game with save transfer) and Eternights got a release date.
Definitely! I didn't realize Clockwork Revolution was an RPG either, that looked really interesting too. And totally forgot about Like a Dragon 8!

Now the only thing I'd really like is a few more smaller-ish ones that are more Nintendo Switch-focused, like SMT ports, Baten Kaitos release date, and so on, and I'll be quite happy for announcements for a while. Just looking for that next Nintendo Direct/Partner/whatever...

Very much enjoying Rise of The Third Power.

I like the combat system, turn-based and there’s some real synergy between members, such as one member has an attack that inflicts x status then another member has a move that inflicts extra damage on units with x status. There’s an reason to use the buffs and debuffs as they tend to be part of other effects too- a minor attack plus the ‘bleed’ status, or a self-heal that also increases attack but lowers defence.

All party members level up at the same time, even reserve ones, and upgrade materials are shared across the party too, with you largely deciding which member to make a new weapon for. You get one skill point per party level up, and can decide who to develop, but different members move in and out of the party so it makes sense to spread them around, meanwhile no member ends up as useless as they all keep levelling up together.

The main strength is the story and whip-smart dialogue between the characters though. I defy anyone not to warm to the opening pair of rogues, who snark and bicker with each other as they try to pull off a kidnapping in the hours prior to a wedding between the scions of two of three nations who are all at simmering levels of tension. It’s just really fun, it’s not a huge open world, just a love letter to JRPGs.

I’m not a huge fan of the character portraits but the characterisation of everyone just comes through with some really fun writing, even of minor characters.

Currently £8.99 in the EU eshop sale which is why I finally picked it up.

I know there have been a lot of exciting news, yet don't forget about Trails into Reverie. As always. do not watch if you want to go in blind.

Less than a month away. I am in the "final" chapter of CS 3, and Raincode comes the week before so I wont be ready day one, but cant wait. Who knows by the time I get to it, we will have a date for Kuro in the west :ROFLMAO:

Game was a mixed bag but I definitely think the chapter that was added makes the ending even stronger.
I'll have more to post when I finally finish it but yea, it's definitely a B-tier Squaresoft title and well deserving of the "cult classic" status. As a rough draft there's some compelling ideas in here that they definitely revisited in later games which is cool to spot. But I don't think the game holds together as well as it should've and probably explains why the game was delayed and shipped after the house art style changed.

I know there have been a lot of exciting news, yet don't forget about Trails into Reverie. As always. do not watch if you want to go in blind.

I have quite the backlog to get through before Reverie but I'm happy to see it coming out, and eager to see what longterm fans think of it.

I’m glad from everything I’m seeing I have no issues doing FeMC P3P before P3Re cause it’s mixing things up so much
You are just good to go. Both The Answer from FES and the Female Protagonist aren't in P3R.

I'm swamped in RPG land right now. Still plugging away at Grandia III, but also tried out the FF16 demo and it was pretty good. Mechanically sound and solid, annihilates 15 in every single way possible, just a bit wary of spongy bosses in the early-game. The Eikon Challenge was really cool though, when you'll actually get enough Eikons and moves to use, the combat ACTUALLY pops off.

It's not a day 1 purchase because I have that backlog, but it's a damn good demo for sure because it ensured I'll eventually play it one day.

Back
Top Bottom