• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The ST |ST| Volunteer & Coordinate & Collaborate on StarTopics

TheMoon

(not a sphere)
Pronouns
He/Him
ststzdjgx.png

The index is up-to-date as of
post #367 on April 17, 2024

(all claims posted are valid whether they're listed in the index or not, as long as they adhere to the criteria outlined below)

[~[~[~[~[---- Skip to the Claim Index ----]~]~]~]~]

Please read these guidelines before you make a claim for the first time. Remember that the search function is your friend. Before asking if game x, y, or z has been claimed yet, do a quick "thread only" search here. It's easy!

whatstozkm2.png

You do not need to claim threads that are just random threads about a thing or an issue or an idea.If you want to post a Salami ST, or your local bathouse, or about jaywalking while cosplaying as a pixel art frog, just go ahead and do it. No need to go through this procedure. Same goes for already released games/products. If you have an ST ready to go for something that is already in the past, you do not need to claim it either as there is a super low chance someone was working on the same thing. This is for products/events/media releases that are tied to release dates and follow a certain pattern. Claiming STs is a measure to avoid conflict and multiple people putting work into elaborate threads on the same thing.

Note: The index is not for keeping track of threads that exist, it is for new, upcoming threads only (always roughly ~6 months out)!

stguide22jot.png

1. Please update us if you change your mind or when a release date changes! Quote your claim post (or send a DM to the OP) and briefly let us know. If you don't update a claim's release date and the entered post/release date passes, the claim gets deleted. Keeping track of shifting release dates is your responsibility.
  2. If you choose to make/post a thread on someone else's behalf you are solely responsible for it.
  3. Posting an ST is taking on a responsibility to maintain it, too. Don't just post one, cash in the praise, then dash. Keep it updated if other posters bring up valuable info to collect and share. Make sure things are accurate.
  4. If somebody has already claimed an ST that you also wanted to work on, collaborate with each other. Claiming an ST is not about first come first served. Collaboration is mandatory if multiple people want to work on an ST! Claiming is about preventing two people wasting their time making dueling threads, it's not about excluding others.
  5. Be reasonable - claims are to only be made for games/movies/etc officially announced as releasing/premiering within the next six months. No TBA or "coming soon" type stuff. No educated guesstimates or speculation. Provide a source for the release date. As official as possible, please. No speculation. Also: please inform us if that date is changed (see 1.)
    Example:
    • Not OK: It's E3 2019 and you want to claim a game announced for "2020" or "Winter 2019"
    • Not OK: It's December 2019 and you want to claim a game announced for "2020" or "Summer 2020"
    • OK: It's E3 2019 and you want to claim a game announced for Q4 2019 (if it's around May please wait until after E3 for updates)
    • OK: It's December 2019 and you want to claim a game announced for Q2/"first half of" 2020
  6. Please do not push for exceptions even when it's just a few weeks out of the 6 month window. There is absolutely no point in rushing to a claim.
  7. If you don't read the crucial parts of this OP before posting a claim and then don't post a correct claim, please remember that you are expecting people to read the OP of the ST you're trying to post a claim for... hell hath no fury like an unread OP.

sthowtog1j17.png

1.) Copy the code below depending on what kind of topic you are planning to make.

"Gaming" Forum :
Code:
[b]TITLE[/b] by [url=link to your user page]USERNAME[/URL] ([url=link to your claim's post]TODAY'S DATE[/url])
[URL=LINK TO OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE SOURCE - no speculation!]RELEASE DATE[/URL]

For community threads not tied to "release dates," please indicate when you plan on posting it! These dates are for knowing when to check if it has been posted and then remove it from this list. If you are posting it moments after the claim, you do not need to claim it in the first place. Please be mindful of this.

2.) Replace the data with your own.
  • Title refers to the title of the game/event/film/etc you are claiming.
  • Enter your username, as well as a link to your own profile (you can also just type @ and then your name)
  • "Today's Date" refers to the date you claimed the topic, and links back to that post.
  • Obviously you can only enter the link to the post after you posted it, then go back in to edit.
3.) Include the expected release date for the game/event/etc in that same post with an official source link
4.) That's it! You're done! :)

sttips0njko.png

If you want to create a countdown image for your ST: use this neat little website here http://secondapps.com/countdown/

FAMIBOARDS |ST| INDEX

This claim index is not an archive of existing threads, it is for new, upcoming threads only!

See post #2

Last edited:
StarTopics Claim Index

################ April 2024 ################

################ May 2024 ################

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
by @WestEgg (March 10, 2024)
May 23rd, 2024

################ June 2024 ################

################ July 2024 ################

The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak
by @xghost777 (March 6th, 2024)
July 5th 2024

################ August 2024 #################
SteamWorld Heist II
by @TheMoon (April 17, 2024)
August 8, 2024

################ September 2024 ###############

################ October 2024 #################

################ November 2024 ################

################ December 2024 ################

Last edited:
(The below ST directory is written by @paranoodle, please reach out to staff for any updates or changes you would like to request!)

Star Topic Directory

Since the boards have gotten big enough that it's easy to lose things in here, we've set up a ST directory to make it easier to keep track of which STs already exist, and where to find them. I'll be doing my best to keep it up-to-date, but if anything in this thread is outdated, missing, or links are broken, feel free to reply (please check if anyone else has brought it up first though) and I'll check it out!

Treehouse

General/Social STs

Console/Service STs
Genre/Developer STs
Individual Games/Series
Games Media/etc STs
Archived STs

The Roost
Archived STs

Hi everyone!

First up: I'll be coordinating with @hologram who noted down early reservations in the discord and put those in the list.

If you're familiar with the process from the previous board, this will start out pretty much like that. As always, if you have suggestions to improve the process, feel free to share.

The thread claim procedure has worked quite well so far with only a few smaller conflicts. But one thinig should always remain the major focus: this is solely a measure to avoid multiple people doing the same thing without the other one knowing about it only to find out when it's too late. It's not a first-come-first-served model, the key idea is collaboration. It's not about excluding people from working on a thread only because they weren't right there when something got announced.

Star Fox Community Thread by @Josh5890 (October 6th, 2021)
This thread I plan on making sometime in the next 30 days, after I figure out how to make a few custom banners. I'm a total noob with graphics and art work but I'm trying to learn because I want to start doing som ST's ;P

If someone wants to claim one of the above please feel free to knock me off my pedestal. I just want to make sure both get represented here.

Last edited:
Oh, @TheMoon, I just noticed the link to where I claimed my ST is wrong (you copied it over from your own entry for Fatal Frame). I actually claimed it through Discord.

I would like to suggest a StarTopic rather than claim one:

Nate the Hate Podcast

Nate has been a good friend to NintendoEra for a long time, so I think it would be cool to have a ST dedicated to his channel. Maybe someone with more time than me could tackle it :p

I meant to post it here sooner, @TheMoon, but I just wanted to tell ya that I'm really glad you crossed over! I know it's often a thankless job full of repeating yourself about folks needing to read the OP (at least, that's what it was on Era, hopefully everyone will be better about that here), but we wouldn't have nearly as well-managed, well-organized a space to claim threads in, if not for you. We appreciate it!

I meant to post it here sooner, @TheMoon, but I just wanted to tell ya that I'm really glad you crossed over! I know it's often a thankless job full of repeating yourself about folks needing to read the OP (at least, that's what it was on Era, hopefully everyone will be better about that here), but we wouldn't have nearly as well-managed, well-organized a space to claim threads in, if not for you. We appreciate it!
Thanks! I think me forgetting to put (read the OP!) into the title for this one might suggest that I didn't have to yell that much recently so things might be improving in general in that regard :p

It's also worth pointing out that it's just a refined version of the process started(?) by Nemesis on the orange board long ago that I took over when he didn't have the time anymore. Tried to sand off all the rough edges but if anyone has new ideas, nothing is necessarily set in stone (other than having to read the damn OPs :p :p)

Monthly Pick-Up Threads by A. G. Cook (October 10th, 2021)

Will make a new thread monthly for users to share pick ups and link past threads in the OP.

Last edited:
Nintendo 64 |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 1st)
Nintendo GameCube |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 20th
Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 1st)
Nintendo Game Boy/Color/Advance |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 20th)
Super Nintendo Entertainement System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 1st)

I used to make Sega Saturn and Dreamcast threads in the old places as well, but since this place is more Nintendo centric, let's just start with that, if this flies with everyone. I'd like to take some time to work these out and not outright copy/paste my old content, thus the Nov 1st date. I may push it back if I don't make it on time, I'll advise at that point. For the moment I'd just like to know if these threads already are a thing here, or even if these kinds of threads are welcomed here. I'm still sniffing everywhere to see how things are working out. :p

Last edited:
(Release - November 1st)
(Release - November 1st)
Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 1st)
Nintendo Game Boy/Color/Advance |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 1st)
Super Nintendo Entertainement System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - November 1st)

I used to make Sega Saturn and Dreamcast threads in the old places as well, but since this place is more Nintendo centric, let's just start with that, if this flies with everyone. I'd like to take some time to work these out and not outright copy/paste my old content, thus the Nov 1st date. I may push it back if I don't make it on time, I'll advise at that point. For the moment I'd just like to know if these threads already are a thing here, or even if these kinds of threads are welcomed here. I'm still sniffing everywhere to see how things are working out. :p
Lookin forward to these! The N64 ones specifically. I have a soft spot for that console.

(Release - November 1st)
(Release - November 1st)
(Release - November 1st)
(Release - November 1st)
(Release - November 1st)

nice, I was actually wondering about these appreciation/collection threads just last week :D

no love for Wii though, eh? :D

EPD Famiboards |ST| Fami’s thread for all things game development by Irene (October 17th)
(Release: October 20th)

If that's okay.

EPD Famiboards |ST| Fami’s thread for all things game development by Irene (October 17th)
(Release: October 20th)

If that's okay.
The EPD title is throwing me off, you mean this to be just a general gamedev thread, right?

The EPD title is throwing me off, you mean this to be just a general gamedev thread, right?

just a gamedev thread yeah. Famiboards GameDevs |ST| Fami’s thread for all things game development works just as well of course.

nice, I was actually wondering about these appreciation/collection threads just last week :D

no love for Wii though, eh? :D
Sometimes time is lost on me and I forget that the Wii is old enough to be considered retro. :lol.

I can do that too though, may need some time because these five other threads will need some too, but sure why not.

EDIT: Hey I forgot one very important thread I wanted to make here as well.

The Ripping Thread |ST| How to build your own legit ROM library by Seik (October 17th)
(Release - Novermber 1st)

Last edited:
Sometimes time is lost on me and I forget that the Wii is old enough to be considered retro. :lol.

I can do that too though, may need some time because these five other threads will need some too, but sure why not.

https://famiboards.com/threads/the-...nate-collaborate-on-startopics.80/#post-30238
Personally, I use the 20 year guideline for retro (like Game Center CX does) so for me, GBA, original Xbox and GameCube just became retro consoles but I can see why some go with 15 and the PS360 Wii generation would fall under that. Video games themselves haven't really changed much from 2000 and 2001 (2000 or 2001 could be considered the beginning of the modern gaming era).

Personally, I use the 20 year guideline for retro (like Game Center CX does) so for me, GBA, original Xbox and GameCube just became retro consoles but I can see why some go with 15 and the PS360 Wii generation would fall under that. Video games themselves haven't really changed much from 2000 and 2001 (2000 or 2001 could be considered the beginning of the modern gaming era).
anything that - by default! - still came with usually full-color manuals still is retro af to me :p

Super Smash Bros. series |ST| by MondoMega (October 18th 2021)
(Release: October 18th)

I already asked for dibs on a Smash ST when the forum launched, but I should probably make it official here. Plan to post it in the next 24 hours, before Sora launches. It'll be a little different from my Ultimate DT on Era, since I plan to make it a general thread for all Smash titles; Ultimate's DLC support is winding down so a more general topic is natural.

EDIT: Nevermind about that middle part, I ended up posting it already.

Nintendo Fangames |ST| by MondoMega (October 18th 2021)
(Release: November 15th)

I've had the idea of this one for awhile. It'll take awhile to put together a presentable OP, since I don't have an equivalent thread on Era to pull from, so i'm giving myself four weeks to put it together. May end up posting it earlier than that though!

Last edited:
I completely missed this pinned thread. I just threw together an Xbox ST, but am totally open to handing it over to someone else or taking suggestions for the OP. Just wanted to move over as much of what community discussion I had over at the new old place.

GOTY and Most Anticipated Game voting - are we planning to do both here? I helped with both once upon a time at ERA, and it would be good for us to start planning. Wouldn't mind organizing it.

GOTY and Most Anticipated Game voting - are we planning to do both here? I helped with both once upon a time at ERA, and it would be good for us to start planning. Wouldn't mind organizing it.

Just want to throw out that I wouldn't mind helping with support on either one of these. I always love the most anticipated thread and I was bummed that it didn't happen last year. Not sure if the staff has other plans in place already.

Just want to throw out that I wouldn't mind helping with support on either one of these. I always love the most anticipated thread and I was bummed that it didn't happen last year. Not sure if the staff has other plans in place already.

All for it, Josh. Let’s make it happen.

Do we have a Retro Games ST? I could only find one that is specifically for retro games on Switch.

I am interested in creating a general one with a focus on games preservation (non-Nintendo collecting, developer interviews), emulation (including Analogue products and MiSTer), and reliving the "retro experience" (CRTs, upscalers, enhanced versions of retro games, that kind of thing)!

If it's too broad for one topic I can split it up as well!

Do we have a Retro Games ST? I could only find one that is specifically for retro games on Switch.

I am interested in creating a general one with a focus on games preservation (non-Nintendo collecting, developer interviews), emulation (including Analogue products and MiSTer), and reliving the "retro experience" (CRTs, upscalers, enhanced versions of retro games, that kind of thing)!

I’d be in for this too if we can talk stuff like Anbernic, Retroid Pocket, Powkiddy ect…

Hi!

I released a N64 thread earlier this week.

Working on NES, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA and GC threads progressively with the hope to have everything released by November 1st.

An emulation/FPGA consoles thread sounds like a great idea though!

Seik is hard at work on a bunch of retro gaming threads already

Hi!

I released a N64 thread earlier this week.

Working on NES, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA and GC threads progressively with the hope to have everything released by November 1st.

An emulation/FPGA consoles thread sounds like a great idea though!
For sure, I don't want to step on your toes @Seik! A focus on games preservation via emulation & FPGA consoles might be a better approach, then. And of course linking to the appreciation & collection threads (and the Ripping Thread!) and as well as any other sort of adjacent thread to retro games. It would be good to foster the retro games community here!

If there's no objections I'll make a thread claim on emulation (software, emulator consoles/handleds, and FPGA) thread tonight, once I figure out the details.

For sure, I don't want to step on your toes @Seik! A focus on games preservation via emulation & FPGA consoles might be a better approach, then. And of course linking to the appreciation & collection threads (and the Ripping Thread!) and as well as any other sort of adjacent thread to retro games. It would be good to foster the retro games community here!

If there's no objections I'll make a thread claim on emulation (software, emulator consoles/handleds, and FPGA) thread tonight, once I figure out the details.
I agree and no worries, there are no toes to be stepped on here, I don't mind linking all our threads together once everything is done, would only make sense and it's not a competition here. 😁

I wonder how to name the retro community here though, RetroBoards? FamiRetro?

I agree and no worries, there are no toes to be stepped on here, I don't mind linking all our threads together once everything is done, would only make sense and it's not a competition here. 😁

FamiRetro has a nice ring to it, reminds me of things like Famista (Family Stadium).

Hi all, we've added a site badge called "Topic Star" that is meant to reward those that create high quality, high effort StarTopics on the forums. Both the OP and any collaborators will be awarded on a thread-by-thread basis.

This badge is rewarded by staff, under the team's discretion. If you feel you deserve a badge, please reach out to us privately; please don't fill the thread with badge requests. Thanks!

Hi all, we've added a site badge called "Topic Star" that is meant to reward those that create high quality, high effort StarTopics on the forums. Both the OP and any collaborators will be awarded on a thread-by-thread basis.

This badge is rewarded by staff, under the team's discretion. If you feel you deserve a badge, please reach out to us privately; please don't fill the thread with badge requests. Thanks!
I'd just noticed, upon logging in a little bit ago, that I was awarded with this badge.

Speaking only for myself here, but honestly, it's such a small gesture, yet one so meaningful, and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same way about it. Back on Era, I knew many that made high quality OTs (people like vestan, iFirez, Dancrane212, and countless more), time and time again, and I thought they at least could've gotten a fun little tag, or something, y'know? Just something small, to mark their continued efforts toward compiling information on various games, in an easily digestible format for the community. This isn't to say it was ever done out of a desire for acclaim, or recognition, of course (I simply make OTs for the games I love, and am looking forward to), but it's just really neat and wholesome seeing the community appreciate it! I took a quick glance at the other users with this badge, and each of them most certainly deserve it.

(Edited to improve wording, I hate it when I accidentally hit the post button early!)

I'd just noticed, upon logging in a little bit ago, that I was awarded with this badge.

Speaking only for myself here, but honestly, it's such a small gesture, yet one so meaningful, and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same way about it. Back on Era, I knew many that made high quality OTs (people like vestan, iFirez, Dancrane212, and countless more), time and time again, and I thought they at least could've gotten a fun little tag, or something, y'know? Just something small, to mark their continued efforts toward compiling information on various games, in an easily digestible format for the community. This isn't to say it was ever done out of a desire for acclaim, or recognition, of course (I simply made OTs for the games I loved, and was looking forward to)
I feel the same way, which is why I definitely wanted a badge to reward those who put a lot of heart into their threads. I felt a lot of Era's OTs were of such high quality that often time they would be just as good as any article on a site that they'd normally be paid for. It's really top tier stuff, and that's migrated here. I only felt it was appropriate to show Famiboards doesn't take such high quality content for granted.

RetroBoards would be too close to our older cousins from the original Old Place splintering at RGB - RetroGamingBoards :)

Btw I think I'll add a section to the OP about finding existing StarTopics since the prefixes do help with that a lot (I guess that's in favor of not having an option to disable them per user).

I feel the same way, which is why I definitely wanted a badge to reward those who put a lot of heart into their threads. I felt a lot of Era's OTs were of such high quality that often time they would be just as good as any article on a site that they'd normally be paid for. It's really top tier stuff, and that's migrated here. I only felt it was appropriate to show Famiboards doesn't take such high quality content for granted.
In turn, the community doesn't take you guys for granted, either. Thanks to you and the team for their stellar work on the site, thus far! We've all noticed it.

One bit of feedback I want to stress: please don't just hand those out to threads made by expert graphic designers. I feel while there was a lot of artistic excellence on display on many of those threads in our previous hunting grounds, there was a certain vibe of "anything less than that is only appropriate for smaller games" which lead to those threads rarely being appreciated. That's how you ended up with many of the tentpole OTs looking incredible, like marketing material and that slowly seeped into the pre-release hype culture there, too. Whereas a lot of smaller, under the radar OTs for similarly smaller/under the radar releases had actually a lot more "substance" to them but didn't come with portfolio-level design work. That, in turn, also seemed to intimidate potential first timer thread creators a lot with a lot of self-deprecation in their inquiry whether there was gonna be a thread for game XYZ.

I would hope an OT that doesn't have a single image in it but provides helpful info for new players and a clear structure will get rewarded just as much as the latest gif explosion!

Anyone can and should feel invited to make a StarTopic, regardless of design/layout skill. That's why I hope we're aligned here in how those little nods of appreciation are viewed and handed out from the staff side.

edit: one small addition - I also feel a sign of dedication to maintaining one's ST should be equally valued and regarded. Many games get updated or have rapidly developing discourse or gameplay/narrative discoveries that (can) be reflected in a ST really well when it is properly cared for and maintained by an OP. I'm thinking of the Animal Crossing NH threads, for example.

Last edited:
One bit of feedback I want to stress: please don't just hand those out to threads made by expert graphic designers. I feel while there was a lot of artistic excellence on display on many of those threads in our previous hunting grounds, there was a certain vibe of "anything less than that is only appropriate for smaller games" and was rarely appreciated. That's how you ended up with many of the tentpole OTs looking incredible, like marketing material and that slowly seeped into the pre-release hype culture there, too. Whereas a lot of smaller, under the radar OTs for similarly smaller/under the radar releases had actually a lot more "substance" to them but didn't come with portfolio-level design work. That, in turn, also seemed to intimidate potential first timer thread creators a lot with a lot of self-deprecation in their inquiry whether there was gonna be a thread for game XYZ.

I would hope an OT that doesn't have a single image in it but provides helpful info for new players and a clear structure will get rewarded just as much as the latest gif explosion!

Anyone can and should feel invited to make a StarTopic, regardless of design/layout skill. That's why I hope we're aligned here in how those little nods of appreciation are viewed from the staff side.
I agree with this 100%. When awarding the initial round of badges, we were looking at threads that had a clear level of love put into them, regardless of image count/custom images or word count. I think the Virtual YouTuber ST is a great example; a very niche topic that, regardless, has enough in it to get you excited about it. An image-less example is the rumor/leak archive ST, which has a wealth of information so kindly put together by @frog.

But yes, anyone and everyone should feel welcome to create an ST; I believe we are aligned. In the spirit of the mission statement of the boards, I would also encourage fellow community members to nominate and recommend ST authors that they feel deserve a badge.

One bit of feedback I want to stress: please don't just hand those out to threads made by expert graphic designers. I feel while there was a lot of artistic excellence on display on many of those threads in our previous hunting grounds, there was a certain vibe of "anything less than that is only appropriate for smaller games" which lead to those threads rarely being appreciated. That's how you ended up with many of the tentpole OTs looking incredible, like marketing material and that slowly seeped into the pre-release hype culture there, too. Whereas a lot of smaller, under the radar OTs for similarly smaller/under the radar releases had actually a lot more "substance" to them but didn't come with portfolio-level design work. That, in turn, also seemed to intimidate potential first timer thread creators a lot with a lot of self-deprecation in their inquiry whether there was gonna be a thread for game XYZ.

Anyone can and should feel invited to make a StarTopic, regardless of design/layout skill. That's why I hope we're aligned here in how those little nods of appreciation are viewed from the staff side.
Exceptionally well said, and I wholeheartedly agree. OTs and STs should not serve as some sort of vanity project for the creator, but rather, first and foremost, their explicit purpose is to convey relevant information for a game, or given subject, so that it may be easily digestible to the wider community. To that end, it's irrelevant whether a thread has a bunch of pictures and gifs, or is merely a compilation of information in plain text format. The same goal is achieved, the users are still putting their time and effort into the thread either way, and that's what matters.

Personally, I only do the image thing because I find it fun, and I want some presentational flare thrown in, but I also recognize that it's completely unnecessary.

RetroBoards would be too close to our older cousins from the original Old Place splintering at RGB - RetroGamingBoards :)

Btw I think I'll add a section to the OP about finding existing StarTopics since the prefixes do help with that a lot (I guess that's in favor of not having an option to disable them per user).
True, I'm over there too, but after ERA was established I pretty much stopped, or more like forgot going there because activity was on the low side. I've reached out to Peltz lately, because I felt like an ass, to update my Ripping Thread with a proper, non-GAF banner with proper RGB assets. Awesome folks over there too.

Anyway, let's have some threads done before finding a name! :lol

Back
Top Bottom