• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Plans never work out when it comes to games lol. After I finished Ghost Trick, I was gonna start RainCode (I did), then CS4 (10 hours in) while I waited for Reverie to show up.

The next thing I know I am 30 hours into P4G lol. And so far I am having a great time, and I can see why some people like it over 5 (and 3 I guess). Its structure is inline with handheld games (reminds me a little of Zero), short area, tight story and nice atmosphere. Combat is ok, spells feel like they do set damage (increases are minimal) and some bosses are sponges (Looking at you
Weird baby
). The cast is great, there are conv that feel from the late 2000s lol.

But yeah its been fun, Reverie arrives tomorrow, and I need to get back to Raincode so I picked a bad game to invest in lol.
P3P is in my backlog and I keep wondering if I’ll just start it randomly and get sucked in

Why do I always feel underlevelled in Persona 3 and 4, whereas in 5 I always felt like I was at the right level to take on the current story arc? I'm getting smoked by stuff in 4 right now, and while I'm still winning battles, it's somewhat of a struggle.

Why do I always feel underlevelled in Persona 3 and 4, whereas in 5 I always felt like I was at the right level to take on the current story arc? I'm getting smoked by stuff in 4 right now, and while I'm still winning battles, it's somewhat of a struggle.
I remember having this problem in 4 too. I haven't played 3 yet, but at least in 4 I found it was usually due to the nature of the dungeons being randomly-generated and more repetitive. I often found myself speeding through certain floors and probably not fighting as much as I should since I got kind of annoyed and just wanted them to be over with already, whereas in 5 I would thoroughly explore everywhere and fight basically every single enemy as I went so I kept leveled up much better. That, on top of usually dipping into Mementos between dungeons and gaining a few more levels doing sidequests and such.

Restarted Trails From Zero. Not ashamed to say this time on easy since I kept dying in chapter 2 lol

I’ve exhausted all the movies and games in P5R so I’m running out of ways to max stats out when you’re stuck in Leblanc at night… just got Guts and Kindness left, both on level 4. But I just started the sixth palace so I should have a lot of time since I assume like in Vanilla you’re locked out of social stuff for most of December.

I think when I do NG+ I want to do an all Confidants run, should be easy with max stats.

XG4i7DR.jpg
pFWS8XD.jpg

The legacy of 27 years of barrels. Been playing it now and it's really chill, even with the calendar (which btw is very lax). They did a good job to give some direction to new players on what to do and a very handy section where you can check what conditions are needed to trigger events. Even if you think you are wasting days you always get something like materials or even gain some extra stats for characters. Probably going to finish my first playthrough this week

Finally got momentum going on FFVIII and wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any GF’s cause with boost mode on they’re fun to cheese with. Seems I missed Siren but I can live with grabbing that in the end dungeon. Doing the lamp fight now, and I’m about to enter the tomb of the lost king anyways so May as well grab the one there. Boy these are obtuse. I thought they’d be an obvious thing but most of these are super missable so I’m glad I grabbed a guide so I could cheese these. I’m mostly in this for the ride and Random triple triad battles(some of which I missed).

Cosmic Star Heroine has been my evening game

Finally got momentum going on FFVIII and wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any GF’s cause with boost mode on they’re fun to cheese with. Seems I missed Siren but I can live with grabbing that in the end dungeon. Doing the lamp fight now, and I’m about to enter the tomb of the lost king anyways so May as well grab the one there. Boy these are obtuse. I thought they’d be an obvious thing but most of these are super missable so I’m glad I grabbed a guide so I could cheese these. I’m mostly in this for the ride and Random triple triad battles(some of which I missed).

Cosmic Star Heroine has been my evening game
Many GFs are VERY missable, basically just always remember to draw from every single boss, and sometimes even from bosses with multiple phases and forms.

I do love how FF8 straddles the line between being super high-tech sci-fi a lot of the time, but also very fantasy with dungeons like the Lost King Tomb and being full of Sorceresses and magic, too. And also just how batshit insane the plot gets into disc 3 and beyond. It's kind of a mess in a lot of ways, but you have to appreciate a lot of the big swings it takes.

Decided I’m gonna try to work on my RPG backlog so after P5R I’m gonna play a few short action games to palate cleanse then I think play FFX (I played it with my friend over 20 years ago but I barely remember it outside of the big story beats). For whatever reason it’s been in my mind lately but I probably still have 30-40 hours to go in P5R so it’ll be a while lol

Decided I’m gonna try to work on my RPG backlog so after P5R I’m gonna play a few short action games to palate cleanse then I think play FFX (I played it with my friend over 20 years ago but I barely remember it outside of the big story beats). For whatever reason it’s been in my mind lately but I probably still have 30-40 hours to go in P5R so it’ll be a while lol
I still need to try Persona. Got P3P and P5R(and Strikers) in the backlog. But gotta clear one or two of my started rpgs first

I could do without the heavy focal length blur and bloom, but I could be down if Square were to actually do something like this:

and.. like I know it's Octopath's whole vibe but the color having a muted, almost sepia-ish quality to it is another thing I could do without. If they remake Chrono Trigger it had better be as colorful and vibrant as the original

Can’t tell if palace 7 in P5R is longer than I remember or if they expanded it more than I realize lol

I knew back in vanilla its reputation was being long and tedious but I thought it was fine on a first playthrough. But man there are so many minibosses and I still haven’t fought Akechi yet

Looking forward to getting to the third semester soon though

I could do without the heavy focal length blur and bloom, but I could be down if Square were to actually do something like this:

and.. like I know it's Octopath's whole vibe but the color having a muted, almost sepia-ish quality to it is another thing I could do without. If they remake Chrono Trigger it had better be as colorful and vibrant as the original

I wouldn't hate this (agreed on the blur and bloom as well as color vibrance) though I often feel like we're overthinking a Chrono Trigger remake.

Chrono-Trigger-Toriyama-Art.jpg

This art has been around for almost 30 years. Just make it look like Toriyama's original art, right down to the hand colored shading.

I wouldn't hate this (agreed on the blur and bloom as well as color vibrance) though I often feel like we're overthinking a Chrono Trigger remake.

This art has been around for almost 30 years. Just make it look like Toriyama's original art, right down to the hand colored shading.
I would like the idea of a Toriyama-style CT remake, but I think I'd miss the charm of the pixel graphics. I dunno, I'd have to see it.

Even when thinking about if they'd ever unbury Chrono Break, I thought by now that'd be expected to be a 3D game like DQXI, which.. I dunno, somehow Toriyama's artstyle doesn't grab me the way they translated it to high-def 3D there. Maybe if they found a way to do XB3-quality cel shading?

Either way, I just want the original on modern consoles. Even if they do an HD2D remake. Please Square, don't bury the original. 🥺

I always wanted a CT remake based on the Toriyama art from the PSX intro FMV:

Like, this style with some sort of Dragon Quest XI sensibilities, that would be so awesome!

Agreed, and I think Live A Live 2D HD lacked that muted look. Near Future is really colorful for instance.

I don't love it, honestly. Like you said the bright colors are part of what makes Chrono Trigger so great, it's really vibrant. But on the other hand, from what we saw of DQ3HD2D it's MUCH brighter than this so I could see that direction working:

maxresdefault-1-1622113162164.jpg

I would like the idea of a Toriyama-style CT remake, but I think I'd miss the charm of the pixel graphics. I dunno, I'd have to see it.
Chrono Trigger, to me, is one of a handful of games that is virtually perfect as is. That said, it's a game I don't think needs to be remade so if it's ever going to be, I'd prefer Square Enix try to separate from the original (without disrespecting or making it wholly different). Not sure if I'm explaining this well. I'm a pixel graphics homer, and I don't want pixel graphics because we have the original and the art/sprites still look good.

Even when thinking about if they'd ever unbury Chrono Break, I thought by now that'd be expected to be a 3D game like DQXI, which.. I dunno, somehow Toriyama's artstyle doesn't grab me the way they translated it to high-def 3D there. Maybe if they found a way to do XB3-quality cel shading?
For me, it's the shading. I view the graphics in games such as Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Ball FighterZ similarly to when traditional animation started being painted digitally. It looks too clean and bright. The character models in the aforementioned games are clearly based on Toriyama's designs, but the way he colors his art is also part of his style, and that has never been emulated 1:1 in video games. Maybe don't do 3D graphics. Still make it 2D and maybe enlist help from an animation studio for the character animations (I'll use Wario Land: Shake It! as an example again). Would Square Enix ever do this? Probably not, but a girl can dream.

Last edited:
Chrono Trigger, to me, is one of a handful of games that is virtually perfect as is. That said, it's a game I don't think needs to be remade so if it's ever going to be, I'd prefer Square Enix try to separate from the original (without disrespecting or making in wholly different). Not sure if I'm explaining this well. I'm a pixel graphics homer, and I don't want pixel graphics because we still have the original and the art/sprites still look good.
Honestly if I were Captain Square, and I've said this before, I'd rerelease the original Chrono Trigger just as it is, preserve it, protect it. And then if we want to revisit the locations and characters in breathtaking modern graphics, make a sequel. It's a series about time travel. We can go back and forth to old places, new places, the whole nine yards. Reverse the implied deaths in Chrono Cross so we can recruit an older Crono with a kickass beard into the party! Make Lucca essential to the story again because she's a kickass character! Complete the dreams of all the CT fans who were online in the 90s and make Schala a playable character with Prism element techs! Best of both worlds! The original stays, and we get a remake of sorts but with a fresh story, without ruining the original. It could be a big deal!!

For me, it's the shading. I view the graphics in games such as Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Ball FighterZ similarly to when traditional animation started being painted digitally. It looks too clean and bright. The character models in the aforementioned games are clearly based on Toriyama's designs, but the way he colors his art is also part of his style, and that has never been emulated 1:1 in video games.
I agree to an extent, but I will say FighterZ does a better job at bringing his artstyle into 3D than DQXI, I think. There are some points in that game where I actually forget it isn't hand-drawn sprites. ArcSys did a fantastic job for the time.

Maybe don't do 3D graphics. Still make it 2D and maybe enlist help from an animation studio help woth character animations (I'll use Wario Land: Shake It! as an example again). Would Square Enix ever do this? Probably not, but a girl can dream.
See now you've described what I want Square to do with a Xenogears remake 👀

If they do a 3D chrono remake/sequel, I'd hope they take more artistic inspiration from Dragon Quest 8 rather than 11 for translating Toriyama's art into 3D

lmao I died on Akechi’s final form in P5R because they had a fire spell and all my dedicated healing Personas were weak to fire

Thankfully they give you a checkpoint for that section and with a bit of re-strategizing I won without too much difficulty on the second round

see you in the third semester buddy!

I also forgot how fucking good Akechi’s JP VA is, the way he goes totally manic is super good

lmao I died on Akechi’s final form in P5R because they had a fire spell and all my dedicated healing Personas were weak to fire

Thankfully they give you a checkpoint for that section and with a bit of re-strategizing I won without too much difficulty on the second round

see you in the third semester buddy!

I also forgot how fucking good Akechi’s JP VA is, the way he goes totally manic is super good
I've never done JP voices, but it would have to be pretty incredible to be better than Robbie Daymond as Akechi, I can't really imagine him being anyone else. But in general the English cast is so cemented in my head playing without it would just be weird.

I've never done JP voices, but it would have to be pretty incredible to be better than Robbie Daymond as Akechi, I can't really imagine him being anyone else. But in general the English cast is so cemented in my head playing without it would just be weird.
I've only played a little bit of the English dub (I have an unfinished NG+ on vanilla where I got a couple of palaces in with English voices), but I intend to do English on my eventual NG+ for Royal. I did both my first vanilla and Royal playthroughs in Japanese. Japanese cast is full of iconic actors, but Shido takes the cake - Shuichi Ikeda, the voice of Char Aznable from Gundam. Shadow Shido's outfit is even an homage to Char's:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's the scene I was talking about earlier, 13:32 if it doesn't jump:

You can hear the VA practically eating the microphone - it's especially impressive considering the whole game up to this point Akechi is played as soft spoken and mild mannered. Just a fantastic range. I'm sure the English dub is good, but I typically play games in Japanese first with a few exceptions depending, and I wanted to do the same for Royal so I can sort of re-experience it "as I remember it." But the English dub will give it a fresh experience on NG+ as well.

So I beat the seventh palace in P5R.

Man the scene where they send the calling card to Shido is still one of the best moments in the game. Always love when Joker speaks full sentences for the first time in the game declaring he'll defeat Shido.

The addition of the 1v1 segment with Shido was a nice touch, although King Frost completely trivializes it since it absorbs his super powerful Bless attack and has no weaknesses in addition to being insanely tanky. Still hate the scene though where the girls beat up Ryuji after he saves everyone, definitely one of the worst moments in the narrative.

I'm doing Mementos stuff now... I'm over 99 hours in somehow even though in vanilla I hit 100 exactly after credits. I guess the expanded palaces and new cutscenes add up. Also I think I spend a lot more time in the Velvet Room due to alarms.

Last edited:
So I beat the seventh palace in P5R.

Man the scene where they send the calling card to Shido is still one of the best moments in the game. Always love when Joker speaks full sentences for the first time in the game declaring he'll defeat Shido.

The addition of the 1v1 segment with Shido was a nice touch, although King Frost completely trivializes it since it absorbs his super powerful Bless attack and has no weaknesses in addition to being insanely tanky. Still hate the scene though where the girls beat up Ryuji after he saves everyone, definitely one of the worst moments in the narrative.

I'm doing Mementos stuff now... I'm over 99 hours in somehow even though in vanilla I hit 100 exactly after credits. I guess the expanded palaces and new cutscenes add up. Also I think I spend a lot more time in the Velvet Room due to alarms.
Royal is in this weird spot where they streamlined a lot of things and added some nice QOL and ways to make things faster and easier all around so you’d think it would cut playtimes down, but with the new content there’s just so much stuff to do and see. I still think it actually feels like a quicker and more streamlined game even though it’s much longer by the end than vanilla.

Damn NISA not putting Trails from Zero on sale is forcing my hand to play Ys Origin before it (in my two Ys+two Trails title a year-quest). They're throwing off my balance!

Oh well, apparently Origin's pretty sweet so I can't complain really. Let's see if it can dethrone VI as my favorite Naphistim engine game. (Yes. I'm one of those 5 people who prefer 6 to Felghana, might be down to novelty though, I'll admit that)

After the Mario challenge I finally returned to Atelier Marie Remake. Finished already the first year and working to get some of the events. It's very good that the game has an inside guide of the conditions you have to met to trigger them (like Meet x, pass 10 days, synth Potion) and it's better streamlined than the original ps version.

Also even though every action not in town consumes 1 day, 5 years is still A LOT of time and I can see at least reaching the normal ending before or at the beginning of year 3. Already have all the tools and just one recipe book to buy. So if anyone is afraid of strict time limits, this isn't the game and you can easily jump in even if you don't know what the hell are you doing.

Last edited:
I remember in December in vanilla P5 I managed to finish Haru and Iwai literally the last available day... now they're both finished and I'm running out of Confidants to do because they make it so much easier to grind on stats in Royal, spent a lot of time in the jazz club to level up people

I've begrudgingly decided to start working on Ohya's even though it's not only bad, but has easily the worst Confidant ability in the game (lowering security levels... the stealth in this game is super easy mode)

That said, it's kinda funny because when I started playing P5R in January I thought "I'll play this gradually and clear a palace a month," but it became clear that Persona is the kind of game that needs my undivided attention and fell off around the third palace. Now I've cleared the seventh palace already and hopefully the eighth one soon, then finally the third semester

@Mekanos I agree, P5R feels like a game where you can either drop it or zoom through a bunch of content quickly. I'm in the early parts of the fifth palace, which is officially further than I got in the anime!

@Mekanos I agree, P5R feels like a game where you can either drop it or zoom through a bunch of content quickly. I'm in the early parts of the fifth palace, which is officially further than I got in the anime!
Yeah, I generally don’t do well playing RPGs alongside other games because they are such a huge timesink but that’s doubly true of the Persona games, they need my undivided attention and for me to carve out a month or so as both 3/4 didn’t hook me at first.

5’s gameplay loop is a lot more satisfying though in part because you can mix in Mementos to break up the social link stuff. I genuinely enjoy trawling around down there, especially in Royal where they actually change the music the deeper you go.

I finished P4G, I had a blast with it, and I can see why some people like it alot, even more than the others. I think like P5R, there are great links and ok to boring links, I did like more overall in P4G maybe because of the closeness of the town. I just finished it so I cant say I like the story more cause of recency bias, but it felt a bit more structured than P5, imo. Cast was great, a bunch of nerds playing scooby doo, but given how the story develops you see them grow and its cool.

If I had to name the biggest weakness for me, it would be the combat (dungeons are fine). For the first half it felt like spells did "fixed" damage, for example bufu had a range from 40-48, Bufula had a range from 80-88, etc. For the last boss I just upped the damage cause it felt like a sponge. Even combination attacks barely did anything towards the end.

I still need to play P3, but Ill wait for the 2025 switch port of it, and see how that cast stacks up. Cause Ive played both PQ games and now I think I can relate more to them lol.

Well that’s Cosmic Star Heroine done! Fun brisk rpg!
Now to see if I can double down on FFVIII, finally get back to Ryza or get dragged into P3P at last

Felt like I haven’t posted here in a while so I wanted to talk about what I’m playing and plan to play next. I had taken a break for a few days as I was kind of busy, but I’m back in for Trails Into Reverie at roughly 30 hours in. The end to Act 2 was awesome with the big reveals, so I’m excited to enter Act 3. Just got a fifth party member for C’s team who is one of my favorites in the series so I’m eager to get back to it after this post. Zooming out a bit, I think my favorite things so far are the character writing which has really been on point here, the game structure with the three campaigns and randomly generated dungeon (character growth feels very cool here with the latter), and the great minigames including the new magical girl themed rail shooter and the return of both the card game Vantage Master which rules and Pom Pom Party which is always good fun.

I picked up This Way Madness Lies at launch today so that’s definitely next after Reverie. I also decided I’ll be going for my replay of Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga next for my Wii U backlog project (ahead of Mario Golf). I realized I’d probably get to my next game in that project in September so picking Mario and Luigi will be perfect since Wonder is in October and Super Mario RPG Switch is in November. I really do not want to burn out on Mario haha. I will be picking up both Rhapsody 2+3 and Sea of Stars in August, but not sure when I’ll be getting to either. I’ll worry about them closer to launch haha.

The Zeboyd Olde English translator working as intended

61Y1fhq.jpg

Ktwk6B6.jpg
I forgot this was coming out, I remember Axe of the Blood God did a great podcast with the main guy from Zeboyd mostly about this game awhile back. A lot of interesting stuff about game dev and their projects.

Felt like I haven’t posted here in a while so I wanted to talk about what I’m playing and plan to play next. I had taken a break for a few days as I was kind of busy, but I’m back in for Trails Into Reverie at roughly 30 hours in. The end to Act 2 was awesome with the big reveals, so I’m excited to enter Act 3. Just got a fifth party member for C’s team who is one of my favorites in the series so I’m eager to get back to it after this post. Zooming out a bit, I think my favorite things so far are the character writing which has really been on point here, the game structure with the three campaigns and randomly generated dungeon (character growth feels very cool here with the latter), and the great minigames including the new magical girl themed rail shooter and the return of both the card game Vantage Master which rules and Pom Pom Party which is always good fun.

I picked up This Way Madness Lies at launch today so that’s definitely next after Reverie. I also decided I’ll be going for my replay of Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga next for my Wii U backlog project (ahead of Mario Golf). I realized I’d probably get to my next game in that project in September so picking Mario and Luigi will be perfect since Wonder is in October and Super Mario RPG Switch is in November. I really do not want to burn out on Mario haha. I will be picking up both Rhapsody 2+3 and Sea of Stars in August, but not sure when I’ll be getting to either. I’ll worry about them closer to launch haha.
I had also forgotten that Sea of Stars was so close, July is flying by. Blasphemous 2 is August 24th, Sea of Stars August 29th, and Starfield September 6th. And I’m also fairly interested in Baldur’s Gate 3 on the same day! Oddly busy concentration of games for late August.

I swear I will get to Trails to Azure at some point, too!

I had also forgotten that Sea of Stars was so close, July is flying by. Blasphemous 2 is August 24th, Sea of Stars August 29th, and Starfield September 6th. And I’m also fairly interested in Baldur’s Gate 3 on the same day! Oddly busy concentration of games for late August.

I swear I will get to Trails to Azure at some point, too!
Definitely going to be interested to hear your thoughts on Trails To Azure when you get to it :)

for any peeps that have played Trails here, what are ya'll's thoughts on Rean vs Lloyd as characters?

honestly i went into Trails into Reverie and i kinda shocked myself with how much i trended towards liking Lloyd a ton more, both character and route-wise

for any peeps that have played Trails here, what are ya'll's thoughts on Rean vs Lloyd as characters?

honestly i went into Trails into Reverie and i kinda shocked myself with how much i trended towards liking Lloyd a ton more, both character and route-wise
Rean just seems like a collection of tropes rather than a character to me, to enable a sort of quasi-self-insert power fantasy, like Persona. He has a super-special one-of-a-kind steampunk bike, is trained by a master, uses a katana, pilots an ancient-weapon sentient mech, becomes a spy/special ops commander, and is the centre of his crowd of friends regardless (not to mention the harem crap that goes with it). Whereas Lloyd reminds me more of JRPG leads from an earlier era (obviously because he is). Sure, he’s not fully rounded out, he’s another young guy that’s the polite straight man for his supporting cast, but he’s got a job and something he’s trying to prove/achieve. He just feels like a character that could have a thriller written about him as the protagonist stumbling through it, whereas Rean is like a mix of stuff from the cutting room floors of Persona and Valkyria Chronicles 2.

It’s not even that I dislike Rean himself. He’s another pleasant, loyal, likeable, reserved and fundamentally decent young guy trying to do the right thing, that can get along with anyone just like Lloyd and just like a hundred other JRPG leads. They are designed to not really be offputting in any way so they don’t put off the player. But it’s that everything beyond that about Rean feels bolted on as a long list of relatively-rare abilities that are ‘what do customers want in their wish-fulfillment JRPG teen avatar’, rather than remaining as a character with a relatively grounded skill set outside of the game mechanics. Lloyd is a rookie detective. Rean is a schoolboy-super military special-ops-martial artist swordmaster-ancient mech pilot. One of those just feels way more grounded as a young adult in the world of Trails than the other.

I wonder if I’d feel differently if I’d have played Zero first- I’ve only just got around to it this year. Looking forward to the next arc though!

Last edited:

I’ve spent so much time with Rean that I probably care about him more, but I really like Lloyd more as a hero. While I don’t feel it always so strongly in the negative sense, @PixelKnight above me lays out the good difference between them in that Lloyd feels like a far more grounded character whereas Rean just has so much going on in and around him at once he feels like the definitive checklist anime man so much it is distracting even if I still really like him (I often affectionally call him “Anime Man Rean Mr. JRPG Schwarzer” when I play the games lol). I don’t believe PixelKnight has played Cold Steel III onwards (correct me if I’m wrong), but the time skip for Rean where he becomes an unwilling war hero, later by choice a teacher, and those following adventures really rounds out his character better and I think the voice acting, at least in English, does a great job of showing his growth as a person and makes his strengths and weaknesses as a leader more pronounced and interesting even if it leans very heavy on his self sacrifice still. I’m barely starting Rean’s Act 3 for Reverie, but the sharper writing across the board in that game definitely extends to Rean too thus far which I’ve appreciated.

One big benefit I think Lloyd also has as well is definitely the more intimate cast and setting he has to work with. There’s now five games I’ve been in Crossbell and you really get to know that city and its citizens far better than you do with Erebonia in the Cold Steel games. Lloyd’s ties to that city and its characters really only further grounds him as a character and makes me more invested in his struggles. Also I really do like how his story is playing out in Reverie so far (I just hit the first wall in Act 3 for him).

I’ve spent so much time with Rean that I probably care about him more, but I really like Lloyd more as a hero. While I don’t feel it always so strongly in the negative sense, @PixelKnight above me lays out the good difference between them in that Lloyd feels like a far more grounded character whereas Rean just has so much going on in and around him at once he feels like the definitive checklist anime man so much it is distracting even if I still really like him (I often affectionally call him “Anime Man Rean Mr. JRPG Schwarzer” when I play the games lol). I don’t believe PixelKnight has played Cold Steel III onwards (correct me if I’m wrong), but the time skip for Rean where he becomes an unwilling war hero, later by choice a teacher, and those following adventures really rounds out his character better and I think the voice acting, at least in English, does a great job of showing his growth as a person and makes his strengths and weaknesses as a leader more pronounced and interesting even if it leans very heavy on his self sacrifice still. I’m barely starting Rean’s Act 3 for Reverie, but the sharper writing across the board in that game definitely extends to Rean too thus far which I’ve appreciated.

One big benefit I think Lloyd also has as well is definitely the more intimate cast and setting he has to work with. There’s now five games I’ve been in Crossbell and you really get to know that city and its citizens far better than you do with Erebonia in the Cold Steel games. Lloyd’s ties to that city and its characters really only further grounds him as a character and makes me more invested in his struggles. Also I really do like how his story is playing out in Reverie so far (I just hit the first wall in Act 3 for him).
That’s true, I’ve played, TitS 1/2, Cold Steel 1+2, and the first half of Zero so far

That’s true, I’ve played, TitS 1/2, Cold Steel 1+2, and the first half of Zero so far

oh mannn and you already have like a really nice opinion of Lloyd, that's interesting. he becomes drastically more interesting by the end of Zero and then Trails Azure is excellent for him. the Crossbell games in general are peak Trails in my opinion.

even uptill now where i'm at in Reverie, he still very much lacking any of the 50 super special powers Rean gets and i appreciate that about him a lot. very human, normal powered protagonist that's somehow way easier to root for than Rean.

I'm making a concerted effort to finish all the Final Fantasy games I haven't yet beaten before the release of FF7 Rebirth next year. As of now, that's:

2 (I only have one dungeon left)
4 (started ages ago but didn't finish)
Mystic Quest
7 (started numerous times but never get very far in)
8 (started but got sucked into a Triple Triad black hole)
9 (about halfway? I think I left off at Fossil Roo)
10-2
13-2 (a bit of a ways in, but stalled out because of TotK)
Lightning Returns
Type-0

How feasible is what I'm trying to do here? I'll probably jump around between styles so I don't burn myself out.

Why is it filled with chili? (I need to get back to Ryza at some point)
It's actually the fire sand, but now I can't see it other way lol . Chilli Bomb

I'm making a concerted effort to finish all the Final Fantasy games I haven't yet beaten before the release of FF7 Rebirth next year. As of now, that's:

Mystic Quest
10-2
Lightning Returns
Type-0

How feasible is what I'm trying to do here? I'll probably jump around between styles so I don't burn myself out.
Now thats a challenge. Assuming FF7R is between feb-april it's going to be a tight scheduled.

Assuming you start now, have free time and use boosters / cheats I'd say all the Nes/SNES are very doable in 1 month, ps1 games another month (cheats really help you speed all of the 3 games). And from there on the time can vary. For me 10 and 10-2 took about 3-4 weeks each one, type zero depends on how much sidequest you want to do. Can't say anything about 13-2 or LR.

Regardless of that I def. would end burned out regardless of the style of the game

Mystic Quest
10-2
Lightning Returns
Type-0

Mystic Quest and Type-0 but no World of Final Fantasy? 😮

Now thats a challenge. Assuming FF7R is between feb-april it's going to be a tight scheduled.

Assuming you start now, have free time and use boosters / cheats I'd say all the Nes/SNES are very doable in 1 month, ps1 games another month (cheats really help you speed all of the 3 games). And from there on the time can vary. For me 10 and 10-2 took about 3-4 weeks each one, type zero depends on how much sidequest you want to do. Can't say anything about 13-2 or LR.

Regardless of that I def. would end burned out regardless of the style of the game
I've definitely been using boosters on FF9; that combat is sloooooooow. Probably won't hurt to do the same for 7 and 8.

Mystic Quest and Type-0 but no World of Final Fantasy? 😮
Mystic Quest purely for the bangin' OST. Type-0 because the aesthetic interests me. World of Final Fantasy may be a culmination if I finish early! I also left out the Dissidia games, Crystal Chronicles, and Tactics Advance. (Also Dirge of Cerberus, but...)

Back
Top Bottom