• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Spoiler Pokémon Legends Arceus Leaks/Spoilers Discussion Thread

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now even SwSh or BDSP got bad reviews, I doubt PLA will.
BDSP actually got rather average reviews which is very, very weird since this is the same people who gave Sword&Shield an 8 as a whole despite of their multiple issues (and I haven't even played the remakes but considering the base games were better than Sword&Shield, I don't know how such reception is even logical).

Who knows how Arceus will be received? Although everything I'm seeing so far makes it seem more promising than every other entry released in recent years (despite than an actual open world would have been better of course).

After leaks I think the game will review fairly well, low to mid 80s on MC is what I'm thinking

Reviewers, especially on Switch, don't typically dock that many points for technical issues, and the new changes seem like they'll impress a lot of people

BDSP actually got rather average reviews which is very, very weird since this is the same people who gave Sword&Shield an 8 as a whole despite of their multiple issues (and I haven't even played the remakes but considering the base games were better than Sword&Shield, I don't know how such reception is even logical).

Who knows how Arceus will be received? Although everything I'm seeing so far makes it seem more promising than every other entry released in recent years (despite than an actual open world would have been better of course).
Reviews for remakes and remasters tend to be a little harsher. If the original game was a 9 and a 10-years-later remake was just the exact same thing with a new coat of paint, a lot of reviewers would give that a 7 or an 8, especially if the original was held back somewhat by being on a handheld.

I also don't really know what you mean by "this is the same people who gave Sword&Shield an 8". Are you talking about a specific reviewer?

Not yet, but here's what I remember so far:
  • First person mode
  • 2 v 1 battles (first time hearing about it in this game, not first in the series)
  • Trainer battles confirmed
  • New status/weather effects
  • You can run around during battles
  • Main character is a time traveler
Ok I‘m in.

I also don't really know what you mean by "this is the same people who gave Sword&Shield an 8". Are you talking about a specific reviewer?
I mean as a whole.

Then again, Nintendo Life gave Sword&Shield an 8 and BDSP a 6 so who knows what changed since then between the site and the developers?

Maybe just don't give a crap about review scores and instead look at what the game is actually offering. See if it's worth your money.

I wasn't planning to pick this up on launch but now I'm sorely tempted... argh.

we have a damn fantasy critic league on this site, why are we being like this when someone makes a prediction about reviews (between pretty good praise by brock standards might I add)

I'm so sick of members of this community putting down the interests of others. some people get caught up in sales, in reviews, directs, hardware, dev analysis, etc. there are so many different weird rabbit holes on this site, we can't keep writing each other off

Everyone, buy this game even if you do not intend to play it. /s

I hope this game gets great success so that they continue with this type of game. Seeing some of the leaks makes me really excited for this game to drop.

(between pretty good praise by brock standards might I add)
It's true. I can't tell if it's intentional or not but between the visuals and soundtrack it feels like an art indie game at times. Very relaxy and nice. Like Cuccchi!
tDdiBMRAAv4tRLq8eWnF8a7S.jpg

we have a damn fantasy critic league on this site, why are we being like this when someone makes a prediction about reviews (between pretty good praise by brock standards might I add)

Well, for starters because this is the leaks/spoilers thread and not the reviews thread.

And also because you have like 7 pages of people being legitimately hype about the game with most of the leaks and impressions being positive and honestly seeing people start going off about if reviews will be bad or not is mildly, not even upsetting, but weird.

Like have we been trained to be negative by our current societal environment that as soon as we find a pocket of good news that legitimately excite us, we crave hanging on to something negative to bring us down?

It's especially weird in this case because Brock themselves seem to like the game so far, so worrying about what some other people paid to score games might think is weird. It's weird anyone would feel the need to bring it up. What has the internet done to us, that we can't just enjoy things without inevitably living in fear of the next bad review, the next scandal, the next milkshake duck. If they have to come, they will, anyway. Why predict and anticipate them, in detriment to our own enjoyment?

Pre-order placed. Ready to rock and roll. Worryingly, Amazon doesn't have a date for release for some reason though.

That's an unfortunate issue, especially because I feel like that's only a problem because Gamefreak only started restricting the Dex recently, when they probably should have been doing it decades ago. By the time they got to Gen III/IV, it should have been fairly obvious that adding 50-100 Pokemon each game would make the national Dex unsustainable long term. If they had made the choice to restrict it back then I imagine it would have been taken better, and people wouldn't be quite so attached to using their favorites in every game now

Yeah, it's clear as day the amount of Pokemon was one of their biggest problems. We can see how drastic the leap in scope was from SwSh to Legends, which was the first game that they developed with a limited Pokedex in mind.

I mean as a whole.

Then again, Nintendo Life gave Sword&Shield an 8 and BDSP a 6 so who knows what changed since then between the site and the developers?
I'm gonna be honest, these are weird comments since you haven't played the remakes. The quality of the remakes is actually worse than Sword and Shield. I don't understand you saying "who know what changed since then between the site and the developers." That sounds conspiratorial lol.

I'm so sick of members of this community putting down the interests of others. some people get caught up in sales, in reviews, directs, hardware, dev analysis, etc. there are so many different weird rabbit holes on this site, we can't keep writing each other off
No one is putting down the interests of others, and no one has a problem with predicting review scores. The issue is that Brock seems to actually like the game but is predicting low scores due to what most would likely consider relatively minor issues, which is just super pessimistic and cynical. It's got big "critics [and especially IGN, why is it always IGN] are stupid and are our enemies" energy, which is quite tiring

Maybe, just maybe, past reviews had average scores (average, not bad, mind you) because the reviewers actually had some legimate problems with the games, and this time around they might find it a better product and reviews will be better.

It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. There was a lot of room for Pokémon to improve and this game seemingly improves on that, so it's natural to expect better reviews.

Well, for starters because this is the leaks/spoilers thread and not the reviews thread.

And also because you have like 7 pages of people being legitimately hype about the game with most of the leaks and impressions being positive and honestly seeing people start going off about if reviews will be bad or not is mildly, not even upsetting, but weird.

Like have we been trained to be negative by our current societal environment that as soon as we find a pocket of good news that legitimately excite us, we crave hanging on to something negative to bring us down?

It's especially weird in this case because Brock themselves seem to like the game so far, so worrying about what some other people paid to score games might think is weird. It's weird anyone would feel the need to bring it up. What has the internet done to us, that we can't just enjoy things without inevitably living in fear of the next bad review, the next scandal, the next milkshake duck. If they have to come, they will, anyway. Why predict and anticipate them, in detriment to our own enjoyment?
you're assuming a default respect for reviews that I think Brock doesn't have (and perhaps more relevant to my argument, neither do I)

I can appreciate the complaint that it's off-topic and unnecessary, but I feel there's an undertone of detached, somewhat amused speculation about how reviews will go. Like many other avenues of discussion that are tangentially to games themselves on this site, predicting reviews has become a game in itself

No one is putting down the interests of others, and no one has a problem with predicting review scores. The issue is that Brock seems to actually like the game but is predicting low scores due to what most would likely consider relatively minor issues, which is just super pessimistic and cynical. It's got big "critics [and especially IGN, why is it always IGN] are stupid and are our enemies" energy, which is quite tiring
that's fair I suppose, but if he's praising the game and dismissing reviews, how is that pessimistic or cynical? there's no inherent commentary about the game to that, only the implication that reviews will care more about "relatively minor issues" than art direction, gameplay, etc

you're assuming a default respect for reviews that I think Brock doesn't have (and perhaps more relevant to my argument, neither do I)

I can appreciate the complaint that it's off-topic and unnecessary, but I feel there's an undertone of detached, somewhat amused speculation about how reviews will go. Like many other avenues of discussion that are tangentially to games themselves on this site, predicting reviews has become a game in itself
Yeah, just knowing that reviewers tend to focus on the wrong stuff from my experience, I imagine that'll be the case here. Hopefully the good will from fans will reduce the chances of that happening tho

Yeah, just knowing that reviewers tend to focus on the wrong stuff from my experience, I imagine that'll be the case here. Hopefully the good will from fans will reduce the chances of that happening tho
Maybe wrong stuff for you, dosen‘t make a review less valid.

that's fair I suppose, but if he's praising the game and dismissing reviews, how is that pessimistic or cynical? there's no inherent commentary about the game to that, only the implication that reviews will care more about "relatively minor issues" than art direction, gameplay, etc
As you say, predicting review scores has become a game in and of itself, and (whether or not it is reasonable) people place a lot of stock in Metacritic scores. People want games they like to have high scores, and they want their favorite games to beat games they either don't like or like less.

Predicting a game will receive a low score not because you don't like it, but because you do like it and have preconceived notions about the general population of critics, strikes me as looking for a reason to be negative. To be clear, I'm not telling @Brock Reiher that he can't or shouldn't do this. He's entitled to his take just as much as the rest of us. But I think we're also entitled to gently tease him and say "aw c'mon man don't be like that while we're hyping", lol

As you say, predicting review scores has become a game in and of itself, and (whether or not it is reasonable) people place a lot of stock in Metacritic scores. People want games they like to have high scores, and they want their favorite games to beat games they either don't like or like less.

Predicting a game will receive a low score not because you don't like it, but because you do like it and have preconceived notions about the general population of critics, strikes me as looking for a reason to be negative. To be clear, I'm not telling @Brock Reiher that he can't or shouldn't do this. He's entitled to his take just as much as the rest of us. But I think we're also entitled to gently tease him and say "aw c'mon man don't be like that while we're hyping", lol
fair enough I suppose

I think predicting reviews is a lot of fun. I don't necessarily bank on reviewers hard-focusing on small bad things. Especially with Pokemon. I think games like Pokemon get a pass for small issues actually. Originally I had this game pegged for a low 80s Metacritic but these leaks make me think it'll be 84-87. It's really just the vibe I get idk.
But I don't think that's a wide spread issue like you are suggesting. There is also the opposite where there are certain aspects of a game that the reviewers don't pay attention to but it helps the review score of the game. I see this in a lot of the annual games. Does that mean the review isn't valid? No. Those issues may bother me but not the reviewers and that's fine.

84ish when all the reviews are in seems sensible to me. Think it'll probably be higher at the start but Pokemon games (well, most games) tend to drop a bit after a couple of weeks on MC.

I feel conflicted. On one hand i think reviewers should cut game freak a little slack since this they dont typically make big open 3d games, and they are a small team, but on the other hand its pokemon, the biggest entertainment property in the world, i feel like it shouldn’t be unrealistic to expect more from a mainline release. Either way im excited for this game, just conflicted

Any word on how much variety there is in the missions? Are they all mostly find X Pokémon for a specific thing?

Also, is exploration rewarded? Do the maps have hidden areas/features?

If we're already predicting reviews should we put up an MC prediction thread? Or wait a bit since we're probably still a week out from reviews?

Let's talk about the new stats some more - post here for reference. My one-line take of each of the fully evolved ones (based kinda on competitive and kinda just on vibe ya know) is as follows:

Arcanine-H - slightly better as a physical attacker, but not great defensive typing so no longer a very good physical wall
Electrode-H - exact same stats, which is disappointing, so remains not useful
Typhlosion-H - decent special attacker, would be a good Scarf user if that was still a thing
Dialga-L - same as before only better SpD now
Palkia-L - same as before only faster now, which is probably more useful
Samurott-H - slightly faster than before, but overall still a little middling
Lilligant-H - you know what? I'm into it! Decently strong and fast, and Grass gets a buff with Strong Sunlight or whatever it's called
Zoroark-H - good fast special attacker with really good defensive typing, which unfortunately is not helpful given its garbage defenses
Braviary-H - decent bulk and SpA, so I can see this having a niche, though I'm not sure what that niche would be
Goodra-H - excellent defensive typing and bulk will make this a very good wall
Avalugg-H - another one who slightly magnifies both its strengths and weaknesses, and could find some use maybe
Decidueye-H - unfortunately seemed to get the short end of the stick with both type and stat changes
Wyrdeer - mixed attacker, unfortunately. Doesn't look like it will excel at anything
Kleavor - kinda like a slightly faster Scizor with worse typing
Ursaluna - its stats seem to confirm it as an evolution of Ursaring, not an alternate, and honestly? This thing could be a pretty scary physical attacker
Basculegion-M - not sure. Its stats seem overall a little too balanced to excel in any one thing, maybe
Basculegion-F - scratch that, this one has stats that are too balanced
Sneasler - potentially a very good fast physical attacker
Overqwil - great name, but uninspring stats
Enamorus - mixed attacker with poor bulk, but at least it's decently fast
Enamorus-T - mixed attacker with great bulk, but now it's slow as shit

Seems like the leaks are really good?

Were the worries about the story being too fetch-questy assuaged?
You'll still have to grind out ranks to progress, I believe, so that part hasn't changed as far as I know. Doesn't seem to have bothered many people who are playing it though

Quoted by: Leo
Can you go from one area to another without returning to Jubilife?
Not sure at all (haven't been watching streams that much), but I think I've seen the fast travel menu opened in the field with options to go to other zones

Quoted by: Leo
Not sure at all (haven't been watching streams that much), but I think I've seen the fast travel menu opened in the field with options to go to other zones

Nice, thanks! If you can fast travel, I don't see why you couldn't just transverse if you wanted to.

I was already sold on the game, but my only gripe is the pokemon selection. Seeing the move animations(Flamethrower looks insane now) makes the ~250 roster make sense, however I wanted Gen 1 and Gen 2 starters since those are my fav gens. Would have loved to use Feraligatr and Charizard in this game. Other than that, I have not been so excited for a Pokemon game in decades.
I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that GameFreak is already talking about DLC. It would probably be pretty simple for them to add a ton of side quests that revolve around catching 50-100 new species of Pokémon.

I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that GameFreak is already talking about DLC. It would probably be pretty simple for them to add a ton of side quests that revolve around catching 50-100 new species of Pokémon.
I'd be shocked if DLC isn't already being worked on for this fall or maybe early next year. It makes too much sense.

I like how this has all the same sinnoh nostalgia you get from bdsp, but in a completely different way. From the DS-ish visuals to the characters it's really nice, like a celebration of Gen 4.

Pre-order placed. Ready to rock and roll. Worryingly, Amazon doesn't have a date for release for some reason though.
This is happening to me as well with 2 of my 3 current pre-orders (Pokemon and Elden Ring, so not the same publisher or anything). Since you're in the US and I'm in Britain I'm going to assume that it's just a weird error on Amazon's part. It seems unlikely that they'd know about a delay to the game this far in advance for both our countries.

Here's hoping I'm right! :(

I mean... IGN in 2022... you tell me

It runs bad on my switch. I think the game looks beautiful but turning the camera can make me feel a little sick sometimes.
Do you have a physical copy or a digital copy?
I have a physical copy pre-ordered. Not sure it would make any difference anyway tho

Has anyone seen the BP, accuracy and PP of the new moves? I saw someone on Reddit talking about them but I couldn't find anything

Quoted by: ze_
They really took out of the option for knowing what pokemon your opponent will send out next? Man this game is gonna be mad difficult
Not only that but opposing trainers can now actively switch Pokemon

In the Decidueye clip posted somewhere above, the opponent actively switches to Gengar and immediately launches a super effective attack (I'm guessing they had two simultaneous turns). So yeah even though there's fewer trainers than other mainline titles the ones that are there seem like they'll be putting up a fight.

Not only that but opposing trainers can now actively switch Pokemon
To be fair, opposing trainers could do that in previous games, they just very rarely did. I don't remember exactly what happened, but in my recent HeartGold run either Lance's Gyarados or Red's Lapras switched out, much to my surprise

Has anyone seen the BP, accuracy and PP of the new moves? I saw someone on Reddit talking about them but I couldn't find anything
This doc has nearly everything, just tab over to moves:
Note that, because of the style system, they overhauled the BP and PP for moves in general, so that all sits with an asterisk. It's likely many of the new moves will be modified should they return.

This doc has nearly everything, just tab over to moves:
Note that, because of the style system, they overhauled the BP and PP for moves in general, so that all sits with an asterisk. It's likely many of the new moves will be modified should they return.
Oh thank you, I'd actually found this earlier and forgot to post here but I appreciate the effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom