• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
If I hear "Bona fide Mona fide" again I'm going to scream.
There’s an easy solution to that: Take Mona and remove them from the party and let them warm the bench where they belong. Around palace 5 they’re pretty redundant or even worse to everyone else anyway.

Yeah, Mona is pretty handy at the start, but becomes outclassed rather quickly imo. Once I could replace them with another character, I did so immediately. RIP, Macrona.

Yeah, Mona is pretty handy at the start, but becomes outclassed rather quickly imo. Once I could replace them with another character, I did so immediately. RIP, Macrona.
Yeah the way they’re set up no playable character is bad and they’re all perfectly functional with their own niches and elemental strong points, but Mona feels like the least useful after around palace 3 or 4. Especially since unless I imagined it, wind-weak enemies are far less common later in the game, too, compared to types like nuclear and psi.

I use mona a lot because they are my main healer. I basically just got rid of the others healing abilities because I thought they don’t need it mona can just heal us up.
Probably not the best idea but oh well

Mona is my favorite character in the game. I don’t understand why people hate him.
  1. Trauma from when he was the face of “you should go to sleep”
  2. He’s the face of the worst arc in the game (the whole fight around the Okumura arc)
  3. His character motivations are too abstract and tie in a lot to the game’s treatment of Ann (which can make mang uncomfortable)
  4. He’s written to be annoyingly smug and condescending which can rub people the wrong way
Are the four reasons I see most often.

Mona is my favorite character in the game. I don’t understand why people hate him.
I don't hate him! I actually still like him quite a bit, it's just that he's probably the worst party member battle-wise. (in addition to the things PhantomThief mentioned above story-wise can be annoying). But his role in battle gets outclassed after the first few palaces and he's just not that great later especially.

God, I hated the Morgana fighting with the party plotline. It was resolved in a matter of days and ultimately lead to nothing. It felt like a checklist item that they thought they needed. "Well we need to have some internal conflict amongst the party members". No you don't. Everybody could just be buds and not need to have a pointless argument. Terrible way to introduce Haru as well that makes her feel even more tacked on. She already had an uphill battle being a late addition anyways but having her join in the middle of some pointless Morgana plot just made things worst.

God, I hated the Morgana fighting with the party plotline. It was resolved in a matter of days and ultimately lead to nothing. It felt like a checklist item that they thought they needed. "Well we need to have some internal conflict amongst the party members". No you don't. Everybody could just be buds and not need to have a pointless argument. Terrible way to introduce Haru as well that makes her feel even more tacked on. She already had an uphill battle being a late addition anyways but having her join in the middle of some pointless Morgana plot just made things worst.
I feel like basically every single ensemble cast story at some point always has to have the 'let's introduce some internal strife (usually artificially) for some reason' plotline and it ALWAYS sucks. I don't know why it has to keep popping up.

Thankfully the one in this game is over so quickly it didn't bother me much on a replay, but I did find it annoying the first time through.

It's just utterly pointless (even in terms of overall narrative, it achieves nothing, the whole "Phantom Thieves were in it for the wrong reasons" bit is covered by other parts of this arc far better). It disrupts the (already flawed) introduction for Haru. It hijacks a number of in-game days with pointless story content. There's no point to any of it!

I think P4 handled the party dynamic the best out of the three modern Persona games (and will you look at that, there is no pointless party strife in P4).

Just can't do enough damage fast enough to the green workers in the Okumura boss fight. I'm finding that to be my problem right now, not the timer. Frustrating.

Hint. Crank the difficulty level up the highest level. Attack weaknesses do a lot more damage on the highest difficulty which makes this particular battle easier.

Just can't do enough damage fast enough to the green workers in the Okumura boss fight. I'm finding that to be my problem right now, not the timer. Frustrating.
What @HockeyBird said. Also, make sure to counter the defense buff cast on one of the four workers; if you don’t, you’ll always end up taking out three, not four, which just drags the fight on endlessly.

I'm still working my way through the Royal portion of Royal. If I had to make an analogy, I would say it's the move sequel to an anime series. The Endless Waltz to the base Persona 5's Gundam Wing. Everyone has new casual outfits. You can tell the story is kinda tacked on to a conclusive ending. I'm still enjoying it though. My only real issue is that it takes place only a few days after the conclusion of the base Persona 5. I know the game's structure kinda makes this necessary but I think it would have been better story wise if a number of months had passed.

I'm still working my way through the Royal portion of Royal. If I had to make an analogy, I would say it's the move sequel to an anime series. The Endless Waltz to the base Persona 5's Gundam Wing. Everyone has new casual outfits. You can tell the story is kinda tacked on to a conclusive ending. I'm still enjoying it though. My only real issue is that it takes place only a few days after the conclusion of the base Persona 5. I know the game's structure kinda makes this necessary but I think it would have been better story wise if a number of months had passed.
Where, specifically, are you?

Not too far. I have the full party back and I can start infiltrating the palace (or you know, post pone it and hang out with my friends).
Gotcha. Yeah, keep going, this is actually the best story content in the whole game (in very large part because of how incredible the villain is). It outgrows the "tacked on sequel story" syndrome real quickly.

Gotcha. Yeah, keep going, this is actually the best story content in the whole game (in very large part because of how incredible the villain is). It outgrows the "tacked on sequel story" syndrome real quickly.

By tacked I mean that Persona 5 ended in a satisfactory way (mostly) and there wasn't a set up for a sequel. It could have and did just end right there without any further elaboration.

By tacked I mean that Persona 5 ended in a satisfactory way (mostly) and there wasn't a set up for a sequel. It could have and did just end right there without any further elaboration.
Oh yeah, for sure. And narratively that sense is hard to escape in P5R's Royal content. But thematically, it adds to and enhances the original story so resoundingly it's amazing.

Hint. Crank the difficulty level up the highest level. Attack weaknesses do a lot more damage on the highest difficulty which makes this particular battle easier.

What @HockeyBird said. Also, make sure to counter the defense buff cast on one of the four workers; if you don’t, you’ll always end up taking out three, not four, which just drags the fight on endlessly.
First attempt on doing this, died to the green workers.
Second attempt on doing this, died to the big robot after he used that special move, despite having my defense up and guarding. I also wasn't doing much damage to him.
I feel like my Persona 5 journey ends here. Don't have the patience for this kind of nonsense game design.

First attempt on doing this, died to the green workers.
Second attempt on doing this, died to the big robot after he used that special move, despite having my defense up and guarding. I also wasn't doing much damage to him.
I feel like my Persona 5 journey ends here. Don't have the patience for this kind of nonsense game design.
My advice is the following:
  • Get Joker a Persona with Physical Resist (you probably already have at least one of these, they're plentiful earlier in the dungeon);
  • Make sure you keep your debuffs and buffs going at all times;
  • Make sure you go in with the appropriate team composition (Joker/Haru/Morgana/Makoto as the starting team is a good combination)
    • Morgana has Miracle Punch, which is a great move for this fight
  • Use elemental items to build up your Baton Pass (powering up your attacks this way can make the difference between victory and defeat)
  • Don't be afraid to switch party members (I assume you unlocked this ability) and the Personas Joker has equipped according to what's going on in the fight
  • Use this guide if all else fails
This is definitely a poorly designed boss fight (I think adding a timer on top of a very annoying "kill everything at once" requirement is a step too far), so I understand the frustration completely. The only thing I would say to you is, a) no other fight in the game, boss or otherwise, pulls anything close to this and b) to step away from this for a day or two if you are being (rightly) annoyed at how nonsensical this boss is. But I wouldn't say give up just yet! Stick with it a little more, maybe try playing on the easiest difficulty if all else fails. If it doesn't feel like you're going to get further, and/or you don't like the game enough to give it that much slack, yes, feel free to drop it. But you still have some options available to pull a win for now!

I still think they did great with the foreshadowing so it doesn’t come out of nowhere after the original ending. Plus there’s the closing ceremony in February, so the story wouldn’t make too much sense after that.

I see there's a level 10 confidant ability here that lets you change party members on any turn, not just Joker's, and I do have a save file set before I sent the calling card. Wonder if there's enough time for me to brute force her to 10 and then give it a go.

I see there's a level 10 confidant ability here that lets you change party members on any turn, not just Joker's, and I do have a save file set before I sent the calling card. Wonder if there's enough time for me to brute force her to 10 and then give it a go.
If you can do it, I recommend that (what level is the confidant right now?)

I DID IT
THE PERSONA JOURNEY CONTINUES
tumblr_mxqhc0Tbv91rdutw3o1_400.gif

(now watch me forget to set the difficulty back a few notches)

I used Morgana to chuck a bunch of those items with a high rate of shock at the big robot and then followed up with melee attacks which did major damage.
Good lol. You’re now past the worst dungeon/boss fight/arc in the game, and on to the best stuff. Rejoice!

First time working the job at 777 and I'm like, how do I get a real life hoodie with the uniform design of that place?

After 117 hours, I have completed P5R and got the true ending. It's currently 1am here and I definitely have thoughts but I'll write them out after I sleep lol.

Morning fami, I guess it's time to write out my thoughts on this game that I finally completed last night.

I want to start off by saying that this is a damn good/solid jrpg and I definitely see why it's praised. However...this might be a bit controversial, despite enjoying the game, I honestly believe it dosen't deserve the insane praise and high reviews and claims it's one of the best jrpgs ever. In my opinion, it should be in the high 80s as opposed 90s. Still a fantastic game though.

The GOOD:

- This game is freaking dangerously addicting. It's the gameplay loop. I can see why people love persona and it's all the social activities/stats, dungeons, min/maxing. A new day comes up, so many things to do, so little time, just like real life lol. But seriously, everytime I'm playing, I'm like ' 1 more day' and look at the time and it's already 1am.

Furthermore, the turn base combat is snappy, fast and also damn addicting. Despite playing 117 hours, I did not get tired of the combat. The only downside was the game was a bit too easy.

- Soundtrack is a certified 10/10 banger. Freaking fell in love with Rivers in a Desert, Blooming Villain and I Believe. The only criticism I have is, I wish there were more combat soundtracks but you can fix that by changing costumes so it wasn't too bad.

- The characters and your party was honestly great. I love Ruyji and Yusuke, absolute lovable idiots lmao. Also Sojiro too! I also enjoy how all of them haxe complex pasts and it made want to max them all and learn their stories.

- The game just OOZES style and it's so flamboyant. Amazing animated sprites and UI which even made me forget that the game is not native resolution in handheld. The port is also good, no fps issues what's so ever.

The BAD

- I'll be honest, the story is nothing special. It starts off so strong, like really good! But then it drops and kinda drags. The amount of things you can cut in the story and nothing will change is quite frankly silly. They repeat so many things.

Also, the way game treats some scenes as if they are a major plot twist...when they're not. For example, the person behind the murders was painfully obvious who it was. Takes 3/4 of the game to reveal them

On the bright side, Royal content/story is a massive improvement and made a very well made villian and was very refreshing.

- Why make Joker a silent protagonist? I wish he actually spoke proper lines but maybe that's a me problem.

- Some palaces overstayed their welcome, I'm looking at you Okumura foods...

Overall, it's a solid Jrpg and I genuinely enjoyed it. I think the reason I enjoyed it was because I actually took the advice 'Take your time' and honestly helped a lot. If I went the usual pace as other jrpgs, I think I would've burnt out and dropped the game like many others did.

Consider me a Persona fan now. I'm looking forward to P4G and P3P which I hear are much better in terms of story.

The only downside is that according to insiders on Era, Persona 6 is PlayStation 4/5 exclusive.

And apparently P3 Remake is real but platforms are unknown.

Also, the way game treats some scenes as if they are a major plot twist...when they're not. For example, the person behind the murders was painfully obvious who it was. Takes 3/4 of the game to reveal them
This I will quibble with, because I hear this complaint a lot and I don’t think it was (entirely) the point.
I don’t think that the fact that Akechi was the black mask murderer was really supposed to be much of a twist - as you said, it’s extremely obvious who the traitor is, since it can’t really be anyone else (plus he’s named freakin’ AKECHI of all things, come on). The REAL twist is that the Phantom Thieves KNEW he was going to betray them and their whole plot and set up to put the sting on him. It’s the game playing off the classic heist formula like Ocean’s Eleven or many others, where there’s a heist-behind-the-heist or a hidden background plot, and I feel like the game executed it beautifully.

(And then there’s the twists of Shido not being the ultimate source of the problems, and Igor being fake, which I also adored.)

I’m not saying you’re wrong since I definitely have heard this many times, but I just don’t think it’s really the main thing the game is going for with that whole scene.

The only downside is that according to insiders on Era, Persona 6 is PlayStation 4/5 exclusive.

And apparently P3 Remake is real but platforms are unknown.
The person who leaked these Persona ports has claimed that:
  • P3make is real and headed to XB1/XSX/PS4/PS5/NSW/PC
  • He’s also said P6 won’t be exclusive (though it was once planned to be) but final platforms are unclear atm

The person who leaked these Persona ports has claimed that:
  • P3make is real and headed to XB1/XSX/PS4/PS5/NSW/PC
  • He’s also said P6 won’t be exclusive (though it was once planned to be) but final platforms are unclear atm
Oohh! Do you perhaps have a link to that post by any chance?

On a side note, I have started P5 Strikers and it already feels good to be back despite finishing P5R last night lol.

Oohh! Do you perhaps have a link to that post by any chance?

On a side note, I have started P5 Strikers and it already feels good to be back despite finishing P5R last night lol.
Yeah I'll try to find it! I think it was in one of the Xbox OTs, and I also don't have an Era account so being able to search will be harder than usual lol. But if I do find it I'll make sure to get back to you.

Oh word? Never heard about a Persona 3 Remake before, that’d be amazing to have that up to the production of P5R or beyond. Still the best Persona game, in some ways.

Only if Atlus remembered that they made these games.
That's the kicker. Ironically with Atlus logic, remaking P3 and announcing it JUST after finally rereleasing a port of the original to modern systems actually makes way more sense than doing 1 and 2.

Remake of Persona 1 and 2 would make more sense, as Persona 3 Portable is releasing now.

Maybe that's why Portable is releasing instead of FES? They know a remake is coming.

I know a lot of people want FES over Portable and this would make some sense maybe.

I still prefer P3P over FES.

Persona 5 Strikers Spoilers:

I just got to Sophia's awakening. Holy shit. The voice acting was so good and the "contract" script and cinematography might make it my favorite awakening.

I have really been enjoying Strikers. I feel like it has moved beyond "just a P5 spinoff" for me anyway. I'll always want the turn-based combat more, but the story at least is a nice "bonus episode" to P5.

So, this is my first time playing Persona, with 40 hours , in third palace. I'm enjoying the game so far, it's one of the best RPGs on Switch. I'm liking more the RPG aspect of game (palaces, battles, personas system, etc) than social aspect.

About true ending thing, is possible yet to me conclude the requisites? My confidant counselor is at rank 5, faith at rank 1, in June month.

So, this is my first time playing Persona, with 40 hours , in third palace. I'm enjoying the game so far, it's one of the best RPGs on Switch. I'm liking more the RPG aspect of game (palaces, battles, personas system, etc) than social aspect.

About true ending thing, is possible yet to me conclude the requisites? My confidant counselor is at rank 5, faith at rank 1, in June month.

You have more than enough time. Don't forget to hang out with the Justice confidant at night when available.

Persona 5 Strikers Spoilers:

I just got to Sophia's awakening. Holy shit. The voice acting was so good and the "contract" script and cinematography might make it my favorite awakening.

I have really been enjoying Strikers. I feel like it has moved beyond "just a P5 spinoff" for me anyway. I'll always want the turn-based combat more, but the story at least is a nice "bonus episode" to P5.
Strikers definitely has less of the "direct to video sequel" vibe that most other Persona spin offs have. It feels like a true blue major, mainline Phantom Thieves adventure in its quality of writing and in terms of substance and balance. The stakes aren't anywhere near as high as mainline Persona, but it's a damn good time regardless.

Yes, more than enough time. The deadlines are in mid-November, you'll be able to get all three where they need to be.

Back
Top Bottom