• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
Started the game last night and have played a couple hours. Definitely starts a bit more actiony than Persona 4 Golden did, which is my only other frame of reference of the series (I haven't beaten that one yet either, but did enjoy what I've played so far). Will maybe post my takes and theories here as they come to me.

The Principal is somehow Igor. Similar voice, and the Principal seems to know more than he's letting on.

Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong on these obviously, this is more for me to be amusing and be able to look back on once I'm done. I did a similar thing in the 13 Sentinels thread earlier this year.

You have more than enough time. Don't forget to hang out with the Justice confidant at night when available.

Strikers definitely has less of the "direct to video sequel" vibe that most other Persona spin offs have. It feels like a true blue major, mainline Phantom Thieves adventure in its quality of writing and in terms of substance and balance. The stakes aren't anywhere near as high as mainline Persona, but it's a damn good time regardless.

Yes, more than enough time. The deadlines are in mid-November, you'll be able to get all three where they need to be.

Thanks! The game don't tell anything about this, I don't liked this. I'm looking forward for Persona 4G and Persona 3P now, are these games good as Persona 5R?

Thanks! The game don't tell anything about this, I don't liked this. I'm looking forward for Persona 4G and Persona 3P now, are these games good as Persona 5R?
P4G is actually considered the best game in the series (it’s the FF6 to P5’s FF7), although after P5R there are so many gameplay improvements and enhancements the older games lack that it becomes a bit closer. I will say this, P4G arguably has superior writing, characters, setting, story, and central themes.

P3 is… flawed. It’s an amazing story (still the best in the series), but it’s aged terribly and there’s no good version of it that combines all the improvements that it had that were split across multiple releases. The one chosen for these rereleases is arguably the worst P3 version as well. So I honestly can’t speak for how you may or may not take to it.

In either case you’re in for a hell of a ride with at least one more of these games, if not both.

Also - the true ending requirements for P4G are even more obtuse than P5R lol. P3 is fairly straightforward.

P4G is actually considered the best game in the series (it’s the FF6 to P5’s FF7), although after P5R there are so many gameplay improvements and enhancements the older games lack that it becomes a bit closer. I will say this, P4G arguably has superior writing, characters, setting, story, and central themes.

P3 is… flawed. It’s an amazing story (still the best in the series), but it’s aged terribly and there’s no good version of it that combines all the improvements that it had that were split across multiple releases. The one chosen for these rereleases is arguably the worst P3 version as well. So I honestly can’t speak for how you may or may not take to it.

In either case you’re in for a hell of a ride with at least one more of these games, if not both.

Also - the true ending requirements for P4G are even more obtuse than P5R lol. P3 is fairly straightforward.

Thanks. P3P is this much flawed? I just checked P3 reviews, and Portable is more well reviewed and recent, so what's wrong with that version? It's possible to enjoy the game after playing P5R and P4G?

Thanks. P3P is this much flawed? I just checked P3 reviews, and Portable is more well reviewed and recent, so what's wrong with that version? It's possible to enjoy the game after playing P5R and P4G?
P3P has its fans, a lot of people love it, so you might as well, I don't know. Rather than telling you what my thoughts are, I'll just share the differences between FES and Portable, and you can decide for yourself whether or not you'd be able to put up with the cutbacks in Portable.

FES:
  • No party control
  • 30 hours of extra content added via a new epilogue episode "The Answer"
  • Full 3D overworld exploration
    • Extra music tracks associated with the areas that are cut in Portable (either because no exploration, or because no The Answer)
  • Full cutscenes (in-engine and FMV)
  • Fewer difficulty settings
  • Retains the Fatigue system
  • Missing QoL that P4 added (and P3P retained)

Portable:
  • Full party control
  • New female protagonist route, including all new social links
  • No 3D overworld (exploration segments are point and click VN style)
  • No "The Answer" content at all
  • No FMV cutscenes, and very few in-engine ones
  • Fatigue system is gone
  • Expanded difficulty settings and options
  • Retains QoL from P4
As you can see, it's not clear cut. The FeMC route in Portable has a lot of fans (and FeMC is great, so this makes sense), and we got a lot of great UI and QoL and mechanical upgrades (in combat, dungeons, and social links alike). There is definitely a lot to like about Portable.

However, here is my problem - P3 was never a particularly well playing game, and while Portable sands over a lot of the rough edges, it doesn't... rebalance the game. P3 was never designed around full party control or the lack of a Fatigue system, and those changes in Portable gut the game's difficulty thoroughly and make it a cakewalk starting about halfway in. Additionally, P3's biggest strengths, IMO, were its amazing atmosphere, story, and storytelling - by getting rid of the 3D world, cutscenes, and accompanying music, almost all of that is lost.

For context, look at this intro cutscene in P3 FES:

You don't have to view all of it, but I think it gives you a good idea of the kind of mood the game establishes.

This is the same scene in Portable:

You only have to watch the first 2-3 minutes.

To me, the loss of the things P3 does well is too great in Portable, without the weaknesses that the game has (that Portable is supposed to account for) being addressed adequately, so the whole thing ends up just being a far worse, far weaker game. YMMV of course, particularly if P3 clicks for you for different reasons than it did me. But that's the big issue with P3 for me.

Lastly, to your point about P3P reviews - I believe the Metascore is tied with the score for the FES version, and a lot of P3P's reviews were in context of such a beloved and recent full fledged console game getting such a great portable release just a couple years after its initial launch. Which is not to say the review scores are unearned, but it is important to keep the broader context in mind when looking at these too.

P3P has its fans, a lot of people love it, so you might as well, I don't know. Rather than telling you what my thoughts are, I'll just share the differences between FES and Portable, and you can decide for yourself whether or not you'd be able to put up with the cutbacks in Portable.

FES:
  • No party control
  • 30 hours of extra content added via a new epilogue episode "The Answer"
  • Full 3D overworld exploration
    • Extra music tracks associated with the areas that are cut in Portable (either because no exploration, or because no The Answer)
  • Full cutscenes (in-engine and FMV)
  • Fewer difficulty settings
  • Retains the Fatigue system
  • Missing QoL that P4 added (and P3P retained)

Portable:
  • Full party control
  • New female protagonist route, including all new social links
  • No 3D overworld (exploration segments are point and click VN style)
  • No "The Answer" content at all
  • No FMV cutscenes, and very few in-engine ones
  • Fatigue system is gone
  • Expanded difficulty settings and options
  • Retains QoL from P4
As you can see, it's not clear cut. The FeMC route in Portable has a lot of fans (and FeMC is great, so this makes sense), and we got a lot of great UI and QoL and mechanical upgrades (in combat, dungeons, and social links alike). There is definitely a lot to like about Portable.

However, here is my problem - P3 was never a particularly well playing game, and while Portable sands over a lot of the rough edges, it doesn't... rebalance the game. P3 was never designed around full party control or the lack of a Fatigue system, and those changes in Portable gut the game's difficulty thoroughly and make it a cakewalk starting about halfway in. Additionally, P3's biggest strengths, IMO, were its amazing atmosphere, story, and storytelling - by getting rid of the 3D world, cutscenes, and accompanying music, almost all of that is lost.

For context, look at this intro cutscene in P3 FES:

You don't have to view all of it, but I think it gives you a good idea of the kind of mood the game establishes.

This is the same scene in Portable:

You only have to watch the first 2-3 minutes.

To me, the loss of the things P3 does well is too great in Portable, without the weaknesses that the game has (that Portable is supposed to account for) being addressed adequately, so the whole thing ends up just being a far worse, far weaker game. YMMV of course, particularly if P3 clicks for you for different reasons than it did me. But that's the big issue with P3 for me.

Lastly, to your point about P3P reviews - I believe the Metascore is tied with the score for the FES version, and a lot of P3P's reviews were in context of such a beloved and recent full fledged console game getting such a great portable release just a couple years after its initial launch. Which is not to say the review scores are unearned, but it is important to keep the broader context in mind when looking at these too.

Thanks for explanation. Wow, that's a lot of changes, almost make me want play these 2 versions of P3. Now I understand a P3 remake. Looking at this list of changes, think I will like more P3P.

Thanks for explanation. Wow, that's a lot of changes, almost make me want play these 2 versions of P3. Now I understand a P3 remake. Looking at this list of changes, think I will like more P3P.
Yeah, the big issue with P3 is that it never got its definitive version. P3FES was supposed to be that, but then P3P muddied the waters. Now there are two enhanced re-releases, each with their own set of improvements and new story content, that is not shared with the other versions lol.

Thankfully, P4 and P5 are much neater, there is a clear definitive version of the game to recommend to others.

With P3, yeah, as you said, this is why people want a remake this badly lol. Something, anything, to reconcile the improvements of FES with Portable.

Just started P5R on Switch, this is my first experience with the series, I was looking for something to play while I recover from another surgery and was drawn in by the visual flair and very positive word of mouth. Don't know if I'll be able to see through the entire 100+ hours but it's a fresh experience I've been wanting to try, very different from other RPGs like Xenoblade.

The modern style and realistic setting are gorgeous, as are the FMVs. The visual novel elements are a good way to maintain engagement in what so far feels like a TV series. If this structure results in a game that continues to hold my attention for half an hour a day I might just see this thing through to the end.

One thing about the story that's bugging me right from the start:

Why is this kid being outcast from his hometown, punished by his school and even his parents? I get that he went up against the wrong guy and suffered a major retaliatory lawsuit he had no means to win. I can stretch my imagination as far as the police being corrupt enough to open a criminal record for assault. But unless the kid is an unreliable narrator, his family should have stood behind him, as well as the woman he tried to protect and her family, at the very least.

Does the game address this point later on? Or are we just supposed to expect these as tragic circumstances?

Are they easier to understand in the context of a Japanese society? For example: Does the kid belong to a lower social class that's discriminated against in Japan?
I feel like this scenario would be plausible in Europe or the states if he was a minority. But during the first hour or so that I've played of the game he seems to be a fairly typical upper-middle class teenager. It's a bit difficult to sympathize with him when his situation seems to be a result of inadequate writing.

I realize the game expects me to accept this as pure fiction, but it seems like a large part of the appeal here is meant to come from the contrast between the real world and the fantasy world. And for that to work, I think the real aspects should be plausible.

Just started P5R on Switch, this is my first experience with the series, was drawn in by the very positive word of mouth. Don't know if I'll be able to see through the entire 100+ hours but it's a fresh experience I've been wanting to try, very different from other RPGs like Xenoblade.

The modern style and realistic setting are gorgeous, as are the FMVs. The visual novel elements are a good way to maintain engagement in what so far feels like a TV series. If this structure results in a game that continues to hold my attention for half an hour a day I might just see this thing through to the end.

One thing about the story that's bugging me right from the start:

Why is this kid being outcast from his hometown, punished by his school and even his parents? I get that he went up against the wrong guy and suffered a major retaliatory lawsuit he had no means to win. I can stretch my imagination as far as the police being corrupt enough to open a criminal record for assault. But unless the kid is an unreliable narrator, his family should have stood behind him, as well as the woman he tried to protect and her family, at the very least.

Does the game address this point later on? Or are we just supposed to expect these as tragic circumstances?

Are they easier to understand in the context of a Japanese society? For example: Does the kid belong to a lower social class that's discriminated against in Japan?
I feel like this scenario would be plausible in Europe or the states if he was a minority. But during the first hour or so that I've played of the game he seems to be a fairly typical upper-middle class teenager. It's a bit difficult to sympathize with him when his situation seems to be a result of inadequate writing.

I realize the game expects me to accept this as pure fiction, but it seems like a large part of the appeal here is meant to come from the contrast between the real world and the fantasy world. And for that to work, I think the real aspects should be plausible.
The answers, as vaguely as possible, are:

1. Yes the game addresses this point (in fairly extensive detail) towards the end
  2. No the kid doesn't belong to a lower social class other than being younger and not influential (which is the class stratification this game primarily deals with, given its prevalence in Japanese culture)
  3. Yes this is easier to understand in context of Japanese (and Asian in general) societies, where you often get labeled for circumstances even if they are out of your control (e.g., a widow, divorcee, or rape survivor get labeled unfairly in a lot of instances, as horrible as that sounds)

The answers, as vaguely as possible, are:

1. Yes the game addresses this point (in fairly extensive detail) towards the end
  2. No the kid doesn't belong to a lower social class other than being younger and not influential (which is the class stratification this game primarily deals with, given its prevalence in Japanese culture)
  3. Yes this is easier to understand in context of Japanese (and Asian in general) societies, where you often get labeled for circumstances even if they are out of your control (e.g., a widow, divorcee, or rape survivor get labeled unfairly in a lot of instances, as horrible as that sounds)
Thank you. I'll keep these in mind while I keep playing, and hopefully make it to the end for the payoff.

This is the first video game I have ever Platinumed. Mainly because its not hard to do. I just had to take down the Reaper for the last achievement when i was done with the game.

Boy is the peer pressure real in this game.
Me: "I'm going to take a few days before I enter the palace."
Makoto: "We must go to the palace today!"
Me: "Okay!"

With P3, yeah, as you said, this is why people want a remake this badly lol. Something, anything, to reconcile the improvements of FES with Portable.
This would literally my dream game. I love vanilla P3, FES and P3P but man, each version has something the other has not that vastly improves the game and while P3P is gameplay-wise more up to date, the walking around in Vanilla P3 and FES adds so much to the game for me. That game oozes atmosphere and vibes I really miss in P3P.

This would literally my dream game. I love vanilla P3, FES and P3P but man, each version has something the other has not that vastly improves the game and while P3P is gameplay-wise more up to date, the walking around in Vanilla P3 and FES adds so much to the game for me. That game oozes atmosphere and vibes I really miss in P3P.
I haven't played P3 yet, but I think this is why a P3Remake would make so much sense. It could update the visuals, include the best of all content in one package, rebalance the game for all that content and QOL being there, etc.

Been playing games since the N64, and with what I just experienced after beating Niijima, I can honestly say this is one of my top 10 games of all time.
And there's still more to play?!
tumblr_n7gipiO9X31smcbm7o1_400.gif

Been playing games since the N64, and with what I just experienced after beating Niijima, I can honestly say this is one of my top 10 games of all time.
tumblr_nutvfvKj8d1svkfqgo2_r1_540.gif

Why is there no "type chart" to all the affinities? Not even searches for "what is X weak to" give me results, it's crazy.
Oh, because Personas don't have elemental types like Pokemon, they just have elemental affinities (strong in some elements, weak in others). You can always check a Persona's weakness in battle, the UI will also tell you whether an attack you are using is known to be strong/weak/repelled/absorbed for your target, plus you can always just press L to automatically pull up an attack that will be super effective on the targeted Persona (as long as the affinities are known). So the game does tell you about affinities, but there are no universal type interactions like in Pokemon, if that's what you are asking (I.e., Personas don't have "types" they have individual affinities).

This is why it always pains me when I hear about people who drop the game during the Okumura arc! Yeah, it's the worst section of the game and feels like it's where the story is progressing the least, etc., but as soon as you beat the boss of that palace all the way until the end of the game, it's pretty much non-stop pure awesome. Enjoy it, it's a ride!

Lmao what's up with Morgana he's so mean to Ryuji. I'm on the Kaneshiro part and it's super funny.

Are Will Seeds something that you’ll backtrack/ need to comb very carefully for? I’m still in the first palace and at the base of the tower, but wondering if I should do a sweep back through for them before proceeding. Are they permanently missable if you get the treasure without finding them?

Are Will Seeds something that you’ll backtrack/ need to comb very carefully for? I’m still in the first palace and at the base of the tower, but wondering if I should do a sweep back through for them before proceeding. Are they permanently missable if you get the treasure without finding them?
They're usually close to the critical path, but they are missable. If you care about collecting them all, (and the equipment they can be converted into is worth it), I'd definitely do a sweep of any unexplored areas before sending the calling card.

Morgana and others will also call out when you're close to one, and you can hear whispering as you approach one as well.

So i just reached that boss (palace 5 boss), now I understand why people hate it. I just changed to easy to get over that part, glad that exist this option. Also, I reached arcana counselor rank 9 and arcana faith rank 5, now just need arcana justice, which is at rank 6.

The thought of upcoming projects like P3R and P6 potentially being locked to PS home consoles again makes me sad. Though I wouldn't be all too surprised, honestly, if they ended up at least being timed exclusives.

The thought of upcoming projects like P3R and P6 potentially being locked to PS home consoles again makes me sad. Though I wouldn't be all too surprised, honestly, if they ended up at least being timed exclusives.

I sincerely hope not. Gotta look into ps remote play improvements to see if there is some way any way to play these portably.

So it seems according to rumours, the P3 Remake might actually be missing some content, more specifically portable so perhaps no female protagonist?
Where did you hear this rumor? If true then at least this means the female protagonist will still give P3P some value once the remake is released.

The Era thread contains all the links and infos you need to know, I'd say
The OG rumour is from Era as well.

I think there were even more posts about it, but can't seem to find them right now.

Ah, there is also this

Yeah I've been following these threads this morning. Very interesting stuff. Wonder if we see any announcements soon. Seems like a lot of info all at once. Assuming this is all true...

Thanks @Imitatio, but I'm not clicking on any links to Era; haven't been on that hellsite for almost a year and I have no plans on going back. I'll take your word for it though and hopefully Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor are also among those unannounced titles.

Thanks @Imitatio, but I'm not clicking on any links to Era; haven't been on that hellsite for almost a year and I have no plans on going back. I'll take your word for it though and hopefully Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor are also among those unannounced titles.
Fair enough; if I wasn't on mobile right now, I'd have liked to provide the important bits as quotes on here. Sorry about that!
The main aspects have been mentioned in this thread already, though, so you're not really missing out on any critical info.

I sincerely hope not. Gotta look into ps remote play improvements to see if there is some way any way to play these portably.

So there are at least 3 Persona projects: P6, P3 Remake and apparently another Persona game no one has managed to guess.

Knowing our luck, they will most definitely be timed exclusive to Playstation.
At least the multi-plat releases have shown Sega's willingness to finally take the games beyond a single platform, which is great, even if we end up waiting for the exclusivity period to run its course. Better to have the chance to get them on other platforms down the line than having them stuck on PS hardware only without an end in sight.

So there are at least 3 Persona projects: P6, P3 Remake and apparently another Persona game no one has managed to guess.

How to make me incredibly excited and disappointed all in one post.

At least the multi-plat releases have shown Sega's willingness to finally take the games beyond a single platform, which is great, even if we end up waiting for the exclusivity period to run its course. Better to have the chance to get them on other platforms down the line than having them stuck on PS hardware only without an end in sight.

I hope so. I hate pessimism for pessimism's sake but with Atlus it's hard...

After finishing P5R I can't resist the series anymore. I'll have to invest in one of these:

bf71d8ce39d4fc6cba7da4e03bd7617038dc3a04.jpg

Now for personal guesses
I think the Persona 6 or Persona 3 reveal got delayed from the concert (which fits someone on the Atlus team saying that 70% of the anniversary plan was handled). If I were to guess, one of these games (if not both) are multi-platform in some shape or form. Which likely means one of the players decided they wanted marketing rights.

So IMO, I would expect the next Persona reveal to be tied to something like a Nintendo Direct, Xbox Show, or Playstation Showcase. Rather than something done by only Atlus/Sega themselves.

Sorry to double-post but here's a quote from one of the "corroborators" in the Era thread. To be clear the quote above is just speculation, not any "hard" info.

Would be interesting if one of the announcements is in a Direct soon alongside the other Nintendo stuff rumored. Still gotta bring my #TeamJanuary Direct copium anywhere I can... lol

... all of which somehow didn't get announced in the giant, year-long anniversary event :p. (I know there were delays and covid, etc., I still just find this very funny and peak Atlus)

Who knows, Microsoft went hard on getting Persona on gamepass, maybe they ponied up the money to get marketing rights on a game reveal if they're doing a showcase soon. It'd be weird, but if they offered Atlus barrels of money for it why not?

I predict a exclusivity battle between Sony and Nintendo for Persona, which will end with an agreement that will give each one a separate Persona title as an exclusive. After the little to no effect SMT5 had on Switch, Nintendo will want the real deal on their console.

Regardless of what happens, the rivalry between Sony and Nintendo will grow even more bitter.

I predict a exclusivity battle between Sony and Nintendo for Persona, which will end with an agreement that will give each one a separate Persona title as an exclusive. After the little to no effect SMT5 had on Switch, Nintendo will want the real deal on their console.

Regardless of what happens, the rivalry between Sony and Nintendo will grow even more bitter.
This reads like some kind of fan fiction to be blunt.

I feel like if it were up to SEGA (Isn't it technically?) Persona would be multiplatform from here on out but it appears to be up to Atlus? I don't know. It's tough figuring out how decisions get made there.

Back
Top Bottom