• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
I predict a exclusivity battle between Sony and Nintendo for Persona, which will end with an agreement that will give each one a separate Persona title as an exclusive. After the little to no effect SMT5 had on Switch, Nintendo will want the real deal on their console.

Regardless of what happens, the rivalry between Sony and Nintendo will grow even more bitter.
'little to no effect'? It sold ~1 million copies (I don't remember if they officially said it did yet or not) and is easily the best selling SMT game of all time. It's not like they could really have expected a whole lot more than that out of it.

This reads like some kind of fan fiction to be blunt.
Any kind of paid exclusivity talk is fan fiction. We don't have any evidence that either of Persona 5 or SMT5 are paid timed exclusives. Maybe they're not? Atlus really did want to separate the fanbase?
'little to no effect'? It sold ~1 million copies (I don't remember if they officially said it did yet or not) and is easily the best selling SMT game of all time. It's not like they could really have expected a whole lot more than that out of it.
I meant the effect on hardware sales. SMT5 did not move Switch sales like MH Rise did.

Any kind of paid exclusivity talk is fan fiction. We don't have any evidence that either of Persona 5 or SMT5 are paid timed exclusives. Maybe they're not? Atlus really did want to separate the fanbase?

I meant the effect on hardware sales. SMT5 did not move Switch sales like MH Rise did.
???

I mean, no, but mainline Persona won't really either. Not much, at least. Even a brand new Persona 6 isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as Monster Hunter, of all things.

I mean, no, but mainline Persona won't really either. Not much, at least. Even a brand new Persona 6 isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as Monster Hunter, of all things.
Are you sure? Persona 6 being on Switch, even as a multiplat title, would be huge news. Handhelds are perfect platforms for big JRPG's like Persona and we'd see many longtime PS fans give their attention to Switch. Persona might not be as big as MH but it's still way bigger than vanilla SMT. It sure would be a needle mover on Switch.
I doubt either Nintendo or Atlus were expecting SMTV to be a major system-seller.
I'm not sure about this. SMT5 is a pretty big budget title for Switch standards, I suspect either Nintendo or Atlus had some big expectations for it. Mainly Atlus.

I refuse to get excited for anything beyond P3P and P4G for the Switch until I see Atlus and Sega announce said games for the Switch.

Are you sure? Persona 6 being on Switch, even as a multiplat title, would be huge news. Handhelds are perfect platforms for big JRPG's like Persona and we'd see many longtime PS fans give their attention to Switch. Persona might not be as big as MH but it's still way bigger than vanilla SMT. It sure would be a needle mover on Switch.

I'm not sure about this. SMT5 is a pretty big budget title for Switch standards, I suspect either Nintendo or Atlus had some big expectations for it. Mainly Atlus.
As @SammyJ9 posted earlier SMTV sold a little over 1 million copies, that's nothing to sneeze at for an RPG since games in the genre rarely get close to that. Anyway I don't understand why you keep downplaying mainline SMT; it has a history on Nintendo systems similar to Dragon Quest and I don't see why Nintendo would snub the series in favor of fighting for exclusivity of the next Persona title.

As @SammyJ9 posted earlier SMTV sold a little over 1 million copies, that's nothing to sneeze at for an RPG since games in the genre rarely get close to that. Anyway I don't understand why you keep downplaying mainline SMT; it has a history on Nintendo systems similar to Dragon Quest and I don't see why Nintendo would snub the series in favor of fighting for exclusivity of the next Persona title.
Well obviously Nintendo do put Persona above SMT, they had picked Joker over Flynn for Smash (though I'd love Flynn as a Smash DLC, dude was a badass samurai). I just expect they do the same for next Atlus Switch project, if they help funding the game. IF they fund the game, there's no evidence that supports the idea that they had in the past.

There are enough timed exclusives out there where we know of said exclusivity being tied to some kind of deal, be it monetary or otherwise (marketing, distribution, you name it; ultimately it's about money all the time). See Forspoken, FF VIIR, XVI, or recent Bethesda games like Ghostwire or Deathloop. When it comes to Atlus games, sure, yeah, the exclusivity talk is purely hypothetical due to the lack of any kind of detail regarding potential deals -- if there were any to begin with, that is. Then again, we had Nintendo publish SMTV (in Europe at least), so we have at least some indication that they were involved with the game, whatever the extent might have been.
What you were describing with Nintendo and PS battling it out over Persona exclusivity in the future and how both of them might end up getting their own platform specific releases --- there's no indication of any of that, thus: pure fiction in my eyes.

The others in this thread have delivered good arguments already as to why it's more likely to see Nintendo stick to (timed?) SMT exclusivity. I just don't see any basis for the hypothetical scenario you've outlined before other than "Persona is more popular, so that should be what Nintendo should be fighting for". If they followed through on that logic, they wouldn't bother with many other smaller projects from third parties, either.
That's not to say that they're not trying to have Persona be a regular franchise to release on Nintendo hardware, but that doesn't mean they'll start an exclusivity war with PS over it or something like that.

Well obviously Nintendo do put Persona above SMT, they had picked Joker over Flynn for Smash (though I'd love Flynn as a Smash DLC, dude was a badass samurai).
There's a difference between what Nintendo as a publisher/platform holder wants in terms of third party support for their platform, and what Nintendo/Sakurai want in terms of character representation for their All-Star-type fighting game. Very different contexts, very different goals, thus different approaches.

Betting the third game is another 5 spinoff, either Arena or an Akechi spinoff.

Didn't one of the Atlus survey mention a tactics game? Could be that lol

The others in this thread have delivered good arguments already as to why it's more likely to see Nintendo stick to (timed?) SMT exclusivity.
I still maintain the theory of SMT5 was a complete Atlus decision, with zero Nintendo involvement. And it's still impossible the predict the future of that franchise despite SMT5 selling 1 million copies. It's no longer that little low budget title that was on 3DS and Atlus is not a huge studio with plenty of branches. We already have 2 rumored Atlus games today, I have no idea where SMT fits in all that.
Didn't one of the Atlus survey mention a tactics game? Could be that lol
Devil Survivor 3!

Add romance options to that game and watch it hit the mainstream like Persona once did!

I still maintain the theory of SMT5 was a complete Atlus decision, with zero Nintendo involvement. And it's still impossible the predict the future of that franchise despite SMT5 selling 1 million copies. It's no longer that little low budget title that was on 3DS and Atlus is not a huge studio with plenty of branches. We already have 2 rumored Atlus games today, I have no idea where SMT fits in all that.

Devil Survivor 3!

Add romance options to that game and watch it hit the mainstream like Persona once did!
The third game is a Persona spinoff, it's not Devil Survivor 3

I doubt any further SMT spinoffs will get revived after Soul Hackers 2 bombed

It's no longer that little low budget title that was on 3DS and Atlus is not a huge studio with plenty of branches. We already have 2 rumored Atlus games today, I have no idea where SMT fits in all that.
No, it really isn't, agreed on that. And yeah, Atlus ain't that big, iirc their last head count was around 300-ish people.
But what are you suggesting, then? That they continue with Persona and other, smaller, lower budget projects along the line? No more mainline SMT?
I don't really understand what you're ultimately getting at here.

Let's not forget that there is still Project Re:Fantasy, too; we'll have to see how this one plays out as well and what the team in question is going to do afterwards. Lots of possibilities overall, but uncertainties as well.

But what are you suggesting, then? That they continue with Persona and other, smaller, lower budget projects along the line? No more mainline SMT?
I don't really understand what you're ultimately getting at here.
Not "never" for mainline SMT but I totally expect the next few years to be full of persona. Playstation will have its own exclusive Persona and so will Nintendo. Maybe a spinoff or a remake for Nintendo. Persona is at the height of its popularity right now and Atlus will ride on that.

I expect there's be some time before SMT returns. No reason for Atlus to rush for a sequel so they will take their time. Again I expect a big budget UE4 (or even 5?) title. In the meantime the other PS2 SMT spinoffs could get HD makeover treatment.

I doubt there was zero Nintendo involvement; having the game announced during the Switch presentation, making it the centerpiece of the first Partner Direct alongside SMTIII, giving it a spotlight during Nintendo Treehouse, getting it a simultaneous worldwide release alongside plenty of promotion from Nintendo, and publishing it in Europe tells me that Nintendo has a vested interest in the series akin to Dragon Quest.

The hard work concerning development of SMTV was adapting to UE4, now that they have a framework it shouldn't be difficult to develop future SMT titles. SMTIII was the basis for everything that came after on the PS2 and I could easily see that continue with SMTV.
In the meantime the other PS2 SMT spinoffs could get HD makeover treatment.
For once today I agree with you, I also think seeing PS2 SMT spinoffs like DDS getting HD remasters is highly probable.

Currently on the second palace, very easy to lose track of time while playing.

I'm at Shido palace now. This is the final palace in P5 base game?

No. Shido is the final “palace” but not the final dungeon. There is one more dungeon after Shido in vanilla P5. I’m assuming you are asking about the amount of dungeons left.

Is the dancing game canon? :p

4’s definitely is canon as crazy as that may sound.

Haven’t played the others. I’ve heard mixed things on 3 and 5’s dancing games’ “canon” status. Someone with more info will have to get with you on those.

I’ve also heard 3/5 dancing doesn’t have enough story to really matter either way though.

Last edited:
I just noticed an extremely small difference between OG PS4 and these new ports by complete chance.

From the title screen, when loading a save, on PS4 it says “This will load your data. Is that okay?” Followed by “Load complete.”

And on Switch it says “Loading this file. Is that okay?” Followed by “File finished loading.”

Anyone have any guess why that text of all text was changed?!

So, I just reached "Palace/dungeon 8", this game never ends. The Royal content is after this, right?

So, I just reached "Palace/dungeon 8", this game never ends. The Royal content is after this, right?
Assuming you mean Mementos Depths, then yes, the Royal semester is after this section of the game (assuming you met the requirements to unlock it).

I see a lot of myself in Futaba, so I had to get one of those real nice GoodSmile figures. And I have her watching over my anti-anxiety meds, which I thought was fitting.
futabafigure.jpg

Just reached "palace 9" and "new" mementos. The music in palace 9 is the best in the game so far. This whole semester royal is going to take place in this weird reality of maruki?

I can’t believe I didn’t really think about this until now but (for reference I just finished the beach event at the end of August):

At the start of the game, before you are captured, you are fighting shadows and doing thief stuff, meaning it all takes place in the cognitive world (or reality is breaking down and things are getting weird, but I haven’t seen proof of that yet so I have to assume the former). This implies that the interrogation is also happening in the metaverse. The fact that it’s Sae interrogating you means that this is potentially in fact her Palace, and all the cops and what not are her cognition. Or alternatively she and the prosecutor’s office have found their own way into the metaverse, which indicates the prosecutor’s office is up to really shady shit (hinted at by the director guy himself being shady as shit).

Just reached "palace 9" and "new" mementos. The music in palace 9 is the best in the game so far. This whole semester royal is going to take place in this weird reality of maruki?
Yes.

Also I’m sure this has been brought up here before but holy god damn hell, the 5th boss is still just as bad in the new ports as it was in PS4 Royal.

Yes.

Also I’m sure this has been brought up here before but holy god damn hell, the 5th boss is still just as bad in the new ports as it was in PS4 Royal.

Indeed. What a shitty fight.
First time since the begining that's I'm so annoyed.
Had to go back one week and redo a large part of the palace to try again, and still haven't succeeded.

Indeed. What a shitty fight.
First time since the begining that's I'm so annoyed.
Had to go back one week and redo a large part of the palace to try again, and still haven't succeeded.
I’ve been playing on hard, and the fight becomes easier if you switch to merciless. I was just hoping they’d adjust the health of one of the enemies.

How important are levels vs equipment/personas? I’m about to start the fifth palace, and am level 35 right now. I’m caught up on the momentos side quests through the C ranks that I’ve been given, and just bought the best weapons and guns for my party currently available, but the game is still indicating I’m under leveled for the palace ahead.

I’ve been playing on hard, and the fight becomes easier if you switch to merciless. I was just hoping they’d adjust the health of one of the enemies.
It's a really weird fight that plays out more like a puzzle boss than an actual fight. It's almost like those 'gauntlet trials where you basically have to do a very specific set of moves in the right order' optional battles from SMTIV, if anyone remembers those.

How important are levels vs equipment/personas? I’m about to start the fifth palace, and am level 35 right now. I’m caught up on the momentos side quests through the C ranks that I’ve been given, and just bought the best weapons and guns for my party currently available, but the game is still indicating I’m under leveled for the palace ahead.
They're both useful, and generally levels are pretty important, but mostly because they let you have higher level personas for Joker, since that's where so much or your power and utility comes from. Also party member skills/stats always help, too.

But the nice thing is that if you're underleveled, you'll gain XP quicker form fighting higher level enemies, so it will usually balance out fairly quickly when you get to a new palace. It might be harder at first, but the levels will come fast and get you more on an even playing field before long.

They're both useful, and generally levels are pretty important, but mostly because they let you have higher level personas for Joker, since that's where so much or your power and utility comes from. Also party member skills/stats always help, too.

But the nice thing is that if you're underleveled, you'll gain XP quicker form fighting higher level enemies, so it will usually balance out fairly quickly when you get to a new palace. It might be harder at first, but the levels will come fast and get you more on an even playing field before long.
Thanks! I’ve had a streak of beating each palace (aside from the castle) in as few days as possible so hopefully I can level quickly and keep that up.

My spicy hot take it that Mementos is a better dungeon than the palaces. I also thing Persona 4 has better dungeons than 5 does.

I prefer the procedural generation and more combat oriented aspect. The palaces in 5 just have too many gimmicks and annoying thing in them that just drag shit down. Palace 5 was so bad I wanted to drop the game. The gimmicks on it are painful and the boss fight is just unfun and frustrating. They should have thrown that whole place in the trash and gone back to the drawing board for Royal.

I would really prefer for Persona 6 to go back to the procedural generated dungeons or at least make it an option. I love the combat in Persona games and would rather do that than waste time on the gimmicks.

My spicy hot take it that Mementos is a better dungeon than the palaces. I also thing Persona 4 has better dungeons than 5 does.

I prefer the procedural generation and more combat oriented aspect. The palaces in 5 just have too many gimmicks and annoying thing in them that just drag shit down. Palace 5 was so bad I wanted to drop the game. The gimmicks on it are painful and the boss fight is just unfun and frustrating. They should have thrown that whole place in the trash and gone back to the drawing board for Royal.

I would really prefer for Persona 6 to go back to the procedural generated dungeons or at least make it an option. I love the combat in Persona games and would rather do that than waste time on the gimmicks.
I can respect that take, but abso-fucking-lutely not. I ADORE the palaces in 5 due to how unique they are, gimmicks and all. I felt the opposite, going back to Persona 4 for the first time after 5: I couldn't stand the dungeons. They felt like boring, empty hallways with nothing but combat in them, no crafted design, no character. Just bland things that you wanted to jam through as quickly as possible to be done with. Whereas in Persona 5, I could just hang out in dungeons for hours (and did!) with how bespoke, charming, and atmospheric they are. I would hate going back after P5 gave us some of the best dungeons in any JRPG ever.

Finally finished the game with true ending. What a ride, great game. About some things in story:
Akechi is really live? And where come from Igor, Lavenza and Jose?

I can respect that take, but abso-fucking-lutely not. I ADORE the palaces in 5 due to how unique they are, gimmicks and all. I felt the opposite, going back to Persona 4 for the first time after 5: I couldn't stand the dungeons. They felt like boring, empty hallways with nothing but combat in them, no crafted design, no character. Just bland things that you wanted to jam through as quickly as possible to be done with. Whereas in Persona 5, I could just hang out in dungeons for hours (and did!) with how bespoke, charming, and atmospheric they are. I would hate going back after P5 gave us some of the best dungeons in any JRPG ever.

Agreed, palaces are great, I even explored everything before send calling card. Mementos are a good chance of pace between palaces, but palaces are much better.

You are SammySamusu from old place?

Last edited:
Finally finished the game with true ending. What a ride, great game. About some things in story:
Akechi is really live? And where come from Igor, Lavenza and Jose?

Agreed, palaces are great, I even explored everything before send calling card. Mementos are a good chance of pace between palaces, but palaces are much better.

You are SammySamusu from old place?
I'm not! Although I think I've had someone ask me that before, too. I'm also SammyJ9 there.

Back
Top Bottom