• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Persona 3 Reload Prerelease Discussion Thread (UP: Release date: February 2nd 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue was that it took several years for any Atlus games to appear on Switch. Soul Hackers 2 snubbed Switch after Royal skipped it (pre-remaster.) At the time, it was very reasonable to be upset at their lack of support. Not so much now though.
Yes, at the time I understood (still thought it was premature). Now it makes no sense though.

Unity does not run great on Switch (there are, obviously, exceptions)
I think that UE4 is worse though. There are more good looking Unity games on Switch than UE4 for sure, it runs better overall.

Development started in 2018, as a PS4 exclusive (PS4 being Atlus' target platform at the time)
We all already knew that Switch was successful in 2018. So if they started in 2018, I think they should have made the game for Switch. Skipping this system for a game like this... it's never a good decision if you want to make money. PS / Xbox players just didn't care. It would not have been a big success on Switch because the game is not that great, but still.

But I agree with you, it took a long time for Atlus but since 2020 their support for Switch is great, maybe the best we get from the japanese devs / publishers by the way.

Meanwhile, at SEGA: "We can't make Like a Dragon on Switch, it's for babies! We will always make Super Monkey Ball and Sonic for you" 😂

I think that UE4 is worse though. There are more good looking Unity games on Switch than UE4 for sure, it runs better overall.

We all already knew that Switch was successful in 2018. So if they started in 2018, I think they should have made the game for Switch. Skipping this system for a game like this... it's never a good decision if you want to make money. PS / Xbox players just didn't care. It would not have been a big success on Switch because the game is not that great, but still.

But I agree with you, it took a long time for Atlus but since 2020 their support for Switch is great, maybe the best we get from the japanese devs / publishers by the way.

Meanwhile, at SEGA: "We can't make Like a Dragon on Switch, it's for babies! We will always make Super Monkey Ball and Sonic for you" 😂
I think UE4 is a dog's breakfast on Switch, yeah, but I also think it is easier to optimize than Unity is (Epic's documentation and technical assistance is second to none).

Other than that, yes, I agree, in 2018, the decision they made was a bad decision. it was presumably them hedging their bets (no one expected Switch to become what it did), but it was a bad decision. That said, 2020 and onwards, I don't think there has been any issue with their Switch support, so I always get real confused at these discussions lol 😂

As for Sega, I honestly think Sega's support for the Switch is fine, except Like A Dragon. RGG Studio sucks about this, but given how great Sega is at getting everything else on Switch, I attribute it more to that specific dev team than the publisher as a whole.

it did give us a great pre-release period where the purple site was twisting itself in anticipation because the switch wasn't holding back this real Next Gen SMT game only to be greeted by gray ps2 environments
The "holding back" argument is always funny when used for Atlus games since they rarely make use of a systems' full capabilities. A big reason why Atlus games stand out from other mid-range titles is their excellent use of aesthetic.
The issue was that it took several years for any Atlus games to appear on Switch. Soul Hackers 2 snubbed Switch after Royal skipped it (pre-remaster.) At the time, it was very reasonable to be upset at their lack of support. Not so much now though.
It always takes a few years for Atlus games to appear on any system. The only time I remember them being present early in a systems life was for the 3DS and that was with a remaster of a DS game, Devil Survivor Overclocked.

The "holding back" argument is always funny when used for Atlus games since they rarely make use of a systems' full capabilities. A big reason why Atlus games stand out from other mid-range titles is their excellent use of aesthetic.
This is why I don’t buy P6 being PS5 exclusive. If it is, we probably won’t be seeing it for a few more years.

My only guess to why Soul Hackers 2 skipped Switch is the person in charge. They worked on Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it's possible there may be some bad blood over the way that game was handled by Nintendo.
I mean... It wasn't poorly handled or snubbed by Nintendo like... At all? It was among the 2013 legendary Wii U desperation direct, its re-review was very hypeful in early 2015, it was heavily featured at E3 2015(while that event sucked) and was released. Then its port came out as the major January release, had a good trailer at the September 2019 Direct and more trailers later, new content and everything. It's not like they handled it like they're handling Everybody 1-2 Switch.

Also I bet my life whatever Nintendo paid for them to make TMS was better than what Sega did funding SH2.
I think it makes sense in context:

• Development started in 2018, as a PS4 exclusive (PS4 being Atlus' target platform at the time)
  • It was the team's first game in Unity
  • The game was low scoped and low budget
  • At a certain point Microsoft started paying for ports to their systems, and it went fully multiplatform
  • A Switch version may or may not have been explored; if it was, it probably did not run well. People get defensive at this part, so I'm going to spend some time elaborating:
    • Unity is an extremely inefficient and resource intensive engine at the best of times
    • Unity does not run great on Switch (there are, obviously, exceptions)
    • This game is not a well optimized game (look at the DF breakdown of it)
    • This team is obviously not too technically talented, especially with the last few points in consideration
    • It was still possible to get it working on Switch, obviously. Some finagling and it would have happened. But the team clearly lacked the knowhow (this barely holds it together on the PS4, and that's the target system for the game to begin with)
    • It was still possible to get it working on Switch, by outsourcing it, but there's obviously very little budget that was allocated to the game to begin with, so that option went out the window
    • It was still possible to get it on Switch, perhaps as a late port. But the game got a critical cold shoulder, and also bombed, so who would it be for?
  • All those circumstances conspired to keep it from Switch
SH2 aside, every single Atlus release in the last four years either has a Switch version, or is a Switch exclusive - TMS#FE Encore (Switch port of a Nintendo exclusive game), Catherine Full Body (Switch port), 13 Sentinels (Switch port), Persona 5 Strikers (Switch multiplat release), SMT3 Nocturne HD (Switch multiplat release), SMTV (Switch exclusive), Persona 5 Royal (Switch port), Persona 4 Golden (Switch port), Persona 3 Portable (Switch port), Etrian Odyssey Origins (Switch console exclusive). I just don't get where the idea that Atlus' Switch support is lacking comes from at this point, they have released more games on the Switch since 2020 than they have for any other platform. They have more Switch exclusives since 2020 than they have PlayStation exclusives.

Yes, Soul Hackers 2 missed the Switch, but there is a circumstantial explanation for it that is unique to it, and the game itself sucked anyway, so why that is used as a sticking point, I don't get.
That's a very good explanation of what possibly happened, thank you!!
And indeed, Atlus support since P5S has been exceptionally good for Switch.

They were already making their most ambitious title ever as a Switch exclusive by then(SMT V), their most successful title ever was a PS4 exclusive at the time(P5) and they were operating in that weird logic of Persona as PS exclusive and SMT as Nintendo exclusives.
Things changed a lot since then, remarkably with SMT V instantly becoming the best selling in the series and the first game to reach 1m.
I mean, P3R might've started as a PS exclusive when it started development, but Xbox throwing money + Switch audience eating their games more than anyone else made them reconsider that. But P3R is a game they have a large budget to change plans mid dev.
Soul Hackers II was given up and the team had very tight budget and time to make. The game not being well optimized is proof of that.
FYI it won't be called Persona Party. The leaker guy referred to it as a "social game" that he abbreviates as "P5E". Persona 5 Entertainment?
Persona 5 Engage.

They’re probably going to change course on that within the next couple entries
They were disappointed with the sales for mature games on Wii. And I think that SEGA still thinks that the Switch is only for family games. We didn't even get the Shenmue ports on Switch. But it's funny because they are the publisher technically for ATLUS games nowadays... and ATLUS made Catherine: Full Body for Switch.

It's something that they don't really understand in Japan. Even Konami, you can be sure that you will never see MGS on Switch (even the ports, I can't say 100% that it will be on Switch). But Momotaro or Bomberman, of course!

So... Atlus took the time, but they understand that japanese games sell well on this system, RPG and niche games.

They were already making their most ambitious title ever as a Switch exclusive by then(SMT V)
But only because it was a deal with Nintendo.

And by the way, even if we got a lot of ports since 2020 (and sometimes only on Switch, no Xbox or PC versions), they did not make it internally.

I would say that can't be it, in that if they were going to use sales data from the Persona ports to decide where Reload hits, then there would be a lot more gap between the two release dates; about a year (more or less) is not enough time for them to pivot based on whatever analytics they got.
You're probably right but it just seems odd for them to pull a Collection of Mana -> Trials of Mana 3D remake like this. But I have no insight into how expensive the P3P/P4G/P5R re-releases were to produce so maybe that was a bit of an "eh, why not?" sort of thing.

You're probably right but it just seems odd for them to pull a Collection of Mana -> Trials of Mana 3D remake like this. But I have no insight into how expensive the P3P/P4G/P5R re-releases were to produce so maybe that was a bit of an "eh, why not?" sort of thing.
P5R was an actual full blown effort company-wide (not just Atlus, Sega), and was treated as a flagship project internally, and in terms of marketing and release

P3 and P4 were more "sure, what the hell"

I think Persona going multiplatform is something that was decided on in 2020, following the Steam sales. After that, PC, Switch, and PS were probably a given; Xbox came into the picture when MS offered them moneybags, and now it's everywhere.

EDIT: Goes without saying, only talking about the 2022-23 multiplat releases here

I think Persona going multiplatform is something that was decided on in 2020, following the Steam sales. After that, PC, Switch, and PS were probably a given; Xbox came into the picture when MS offered them moneybags, and now it's everywhere.
Have you seen any breakdowns on sales by platform? I'm curious to see how much of an impact Switch and XBox have had relative to the PS ecosystem releases

FYI it won't be called Persona Party. The leaker guy referred to it as a "social game" that he abbreviates as "P5E". Persona 5 Entertainment?
Persona 5: Everyone's Stinky Horse???

Genuinely excited tbh, Tactics and Party/Social game were not the spinoffs I expected, and Reload being multi-platform is great.

Have you seen any breakdowns on sales by platform? I'm curious to see how much of an impact Switch and XBox have had relative to the PS ecosystem releases
These are numbers from late last year, so they may be outdated, but based on what I was told, the re-release sold about 80% of all its copies on Steam and Switch (mostly split evenly between them, at launch a slight advantage towards Switch, but Steam having better legs post-launch), the bulk of the remaining copies on PS5, and a very tiny amount on Xbox (but I am told the Game Pass performance of P5R was viewed as successful).

I think on the whole the idea was that it was a successful experiment at broadening the audience, rather than cannibalizing the audience.

Do not forget that like five retailers made Switch listings for Mass Effect collection because why wouldn't that be for Switch... but it just never materialized

PlayStation #1, Switch #2, everything else left in the dust.
PC is going to be very high up, especially LTD

Do not forget that like five retailers made Switch listings for Mass Effect collection because why wouldn't that be for Switch... but it just never materialized
Very different scenario, even the original leakers said a Switch version will happen, and Atlus is not EA lol

PC is going to be very high up, especially LTD
Never doubt the power of two words: "Steam" and "Sale" 😂

That said, I'm pretty bullish on the state of JRPGs right now on Nintendo systems and I think the only way Persona on PS tops Switch is if a PS4 version is in the mix. But we also don't have a clear picture on what the follow-up to the Switch is even going to be so it's anyone's game really right now. Well, aside from XBox.

Never doubt the power of two words: "Steam" and "Sale" 😂

That said, I'm pretty bullish on the state of JRPGs right now on Nintendo systems and I think the only way Persona on PS tops Switch is if a PS4 version is in the mix. But we also don't have a clear picture on what the follow-up to the Switch is even going to be so it's anyone's game really right now. Well, aside from XBox.
Yeah, I think PS, Nintendo, and PC versions are guaranteed to do well. Xbox not that much, but good enough to justify continued porting, plus great marketing deals to sweeten the pot more.

Been re-listening to the P3 OSTs tonight for probably the first time in a year or two. It's amazing to me how much the opening hour of P3 is burned into my brain, tonight I just kept remembering how mysterious and intriguing Persona 3 felt as someone who's only real exposure to JRPGs had been through Squaresoft and Nintendo. Just many a summer night in my one BR flat with my PS2 "living life" as a Japanese high school student who also ventures into a procedurally generated dungeon at midnight and gets into all sorts of scrapes with his motley crew of friends and found family. And that soundtrack was like nothing I had really heard before in a video game.

For all its faults, P3 was a special game and a nice change of pace / broadening of my gaming horizons.

Xbox not that much, but good enough to justify continued porting, plus great marketing deals to sweeten the pot more.
XBox is probably easy to justify due to Gamepass and while they're not 1:1 I would be shocked if it was super difficult to take the PC version and get it running on XBox. PC/XBox are mostly there for the long-tail between Steam and Gamepass.

Persona 5 EXTREME
My first guess would be that the fighting game was real/uncancelled after all and P5E is just the new and/or localized name but that might just be copium/fear on my part.

If I'm being honest, I don't really want Persona 5 Arena. I don't think it'd work in ArcSys's modern 3D style and I don't know if I could ever accept it over P4AU, especially assuming it just cuts out all the P4 roster (like how Melty Blood Type Lumina just ended up being TsukiFate Fighter). I'm sure I'd still check it out if it were to happen, though, and IDK if I want the Persona Arena series to stay dormant forever.

Considering Niantic is apparently attending an event alongside Atlus West at Anime Expo, PE just might be Persona GO, which would be just about the funniest thing ever. (RIP in peace SMT Dx2.)

Given that the new Xbox consoles fully support DirectX(12), having it running on PC and there shouldn't be that much of a headache. If you're doing it for the former, might as well bother with the latter if you see the financial opportunity.

And the vibes are suddenly better. Hopefully that listing is true. I’m more than happy to play it on Game Pass but I’ll be there day one on Switch if it’s accurate.

Of course it's coming to Switch, atlus wanted to sell more then 5 copies in japan

Last edited:
  • This team is obviously not too technically talented, especially with the last few points in consideration
if ArtDink was to do the port, that's underselling them by a lot. in any case, putting the blame on unity is a folly because that doesn't explain why a technically proficient studio couldn't make a good port, when budget and time can. easier explanation is just that Atlus didn't want to spend money on it because they knew the game was a failure

Another spin-off??? That’s great and all, but c’mon, when are they finally going to show P6. I was thinking maybe TGS or around there but after all this I’m starting to think it won’t be revealed until next year

Another spin-off??? That’s great and all, but c’mon, when are they finally going to show P6. I was thinking maybe TGS or around there but after all this I’m starting to think it won’t be revealed until next year
The leaks that first told us of these games also seem to say that P6 is getting revealed some time this year

Do we have any numbers on units sold for Persona 5 Royal on switch?
All I hear is that it sold over a million but nowhere where I saw that claim they specified it was a switch-only number and not bundling up PS5 and Xbox Series S/X sales together.

This will sell more on Switch than PS4+PS5 combined, and this will probably mark the end of Persona exclusivity forever.

Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Decades of building an audience on playstation guarantee that that will still be the best selling version globally. It might eventually shift to a different platform selling the most, especially if Sony keeps having low software sales in Japan, but that won't happen for many entries yet.

Last edited:
A Switch version? Dope.

Reminds me that I still haven’t played P3P beyond two hours on my Switch

When it comes to Atlus Nintendo fans are like a jealous boyfriend paranoid that his girl will cheat on him at a moment's notice despite constant displays of affection
I think is kind of fair (not completely though), since they didn't support the Switch at all for around 3 years despite the succes and previous support to the 3DS (they were supporting the Vita more in that timeframe), SMTV was in complete silence for 3 years and even after beginning to support it we saw the case of Soul Hackers 2, one of the least impressive games visually that have skipped the Switch.

Last edited:
Not happening, it will also have different PEGI rating than 16.
All the other Persona games are PEGI 16 so I don’t know what you mean

EDIT: I guess the original and Portable versions of P3 are PEGI 12, but FES is 16. I still don’t see why this one can’t also be 16.

Last edited:
I think is kind of fair (not completely though), since they didn't support the Switch at all for nearly 3 years despite the succes and previous support to the 3DS (they were supporting the Vita more in that timeframe), SMTV was in complete silence for 3 years and even after beginning to support it we saw the case of Soul Hackers 2, one of the least impressive games visually that have skipped the Switch.
It's true that some games could have appeared on Switch earlier than they did, maybe, but that part about the Vita is misleading. They were supporting the Vita with P3D, P5D and Catherine: Full Body. Meanwhile, the 3DS got Radian Historia PC, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, SMT Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey Nexus and Persona Q2.

Also, it's pretty obvious that they hit some major hurdles during SMTV's development. We're lucky the final product is as good as it is.

If this ends up being a Mass Effect Legendary Edition situation it's going to be nasty. Fingers crossed that isn't the case.

As for Sega, I honestly think Sega's support for the Switch is fine, except Like A Dragon. RGG Studio sucks about this, but given how great Sega is at getting everything else on Switch
Still waiting Sakura Wars... So everything else is not really how I feel about Sega's support.

I think the twitter leaker that said "Xbox, pc, ps etc" in Japanese wrote another tweet latter saying it would come to switch also, but I don't know if it is reliable enough.
that guy was bullshitting he got the date wrong
When it comes to Atlus Nintendo fans are like a jealous boyfriend paranoid that his girl will cheat on him at a moment's notice despite constant displays of affection
the more dlc the game has the more atlus loves us 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom