• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Persona 3 Reload Prerelease Discussion Thread (UP: Release date: February 2nd 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonna repost my thoughts from Subreddit about this specific intro:

So, I have to keep in mind that the original and portable openings were also great, so I have to be very mindful of the quality of this opening by comparison...

And it fucking rules.

The music itself is very solid, using concepts from Burn my Dread and Soul Phrase incredibly well. I think the turn in the middle of the opening is excellent and invokes the openings incredibly well. The lyrics are also excellent, probably being on-par with Burn my Dread ngl.

The star of the show is the direction though. It invokes the imagery from the original perfectly, with excellent stark colors, to showcase how obvious the main theme of the game is while still giving an optimistic outlook on the game as a whole. The theme is death, and the opening still acknowledges it perfectly. I also like the FEMC nod.

The shot composition and combination is also impeccable. The train shot with Akihiko, Shinji and Ken is perfect, the summoning of personas against a blue background are perfectly done (especially that shot with Fuuka), I love how the summoning of the Persona in the dorm is done showing how death is constantly on the Protag's mind, I adore how Thanatos and the Moon transitions to Nyx, Aigis on the bridge showing the 13 Arcana... just...

WHY DOES IT GO SO HARD!? This is such an impeccable opening for a remake that's already got such a staggeringly excellent opening that got a port with an also excellent opening.

I was already sold. Persona 3 is my favorite game of all time and this remake understands why it is so well. I cannot wait to reexperience my favorite story.

Well if there was any doubt about them dialing back on Evokers you can consider that doubt thoroughly erased at this point

That's a good OP but the original is still the GOAT. I'd put it slightly above the Portable opening, though.

The portable opening is pretty bottom tier, lol. I like it, not crazy in love with it but I do like it. Needed more Mitsuru.

This is a cool OP, although I wish the music was a bit more ... more upbeat, I guess.
(Upbeat might be the wrong word, admittedly)

Starting to get pretty excited about this game now that we're just a few weeks away. I know almost nothing about it at all, somehow, so I'm ready to go in mostly blind.

Persona 3 Reload isn't a remake with a few alterations here and there; it's a sincerely thought-through updated game that can seemingly stand on its own two legs in the competitive Persona lineup.

Our final preview: https://bit.ly/3TU5rmP

Not sure what to think of this. I guess it's not a complete reimagination like FF7R is, but more divergent than expected.

Edit:

Persona 3 Reload builds on the original's fine foundations, even if may fall just short of a truly definitive edition. Our hands-on preview: https://www.eurogamer.net/persona-3...dations-but-may-fall-just-short-of-definitive

Last edited:

Not sure what to think of this. I guess it's not a complete reimagination like FF7R is, but more divergent than expected.

Edit:

This is really encouraging! It'll be interesting to play this as a Persona fan, but someone who's never played P3 at all. And then compare that to what people who have played the original think about it.

The only thing stopping me from buying this right away is the prospect of atlus releasing a definitive edition with more stuff

I may be totally out of line saying this, but I have no idea why this isn't on Switch considering graphically it looks like a huge step back from P5R. This is one of the flattest and dull looking presentation they could have gone for.

I may be totally out of line saying this, but I have no idea why this isn't on Switch considering graphically it looks like a huge step back from P5R. This is one of the flattest and dull looking presentation they could have gone for.
I’ve only seen trailers, but what about it seems flat and dull?

I’ve only seen trailers, but what about it seems flat and dull?
All the background details seem so minimal, low poly, and flat in regards to lighting, effects, shadows, whatever. The whole thing just seems very low spec. I even checked the PC specs because I may check it out on PC gamepass (I only have a gtx 1060) and the recommended specs are an i7-4790 and a gtx1650, and the minimum specs being i5-2300 and a gtx 650ti.

I can appreciate that its a game that runs on extremely low specced hardware, but if thats the case why not have the game made for the hardware it would be highly desirable on (Switch). The only thing I can think is Atlus was early with devkits for Switch 2 and made the decision to not even both with P3R on Switch and its already slated for Switch 2 internally.

Some asshole emailed me that I was a “pedophile in waiting” for not picking up this game because I preferred the female main character. Since this is the only place where I’ve talked about the game, I hope you reading this and know that I am definitely not picking up this game now.

Some asshole emailed me that I was a “pedophile in waiting” for not picking up this game because I preferred the female main character. Since this is the only place where I’ve talked about the game, I hope you reading this and know that I am definitely not picking up this game now.
Yeah, it is a common criticism of FeMC and her fans being pedos. I enjoyed the FeMC route for the much improved Social links and her personality.

How does someone have your email address?
Through searching. I got rid of the most obvious ways my name is associated with my account but you can find it if you dig hard enough.

Yeah, it is a common criticism of FeMC and her fans being pedos. I enjoyed the FeMC route for the much improved Social links and her personality.
It's a dumb one as well. Most FeMC fans want to change Ken's SL or at least get rid of the romance route. But no, just accuse them of pedophilia. Because it isn't like there isn't another problematic relationship for the male route that never gets mentioned amongst accuasations...

I saw this article circulating online (never seen the site before) , but they asked Atlus about a switch version of P3R.

https://pledgetimes.com/is-persona-3-reload-coming-to-switch-atlus-responds-atomix/

Since we began to conceptualize everything that would come in Persona 3 Reload we decided that there would be no version for the nintendo switch. Of course the idea is there, but it's a matter of discussing it with the team and seeing what they think about it and we'll see what happens.”, the P-Studio managers responded to us.

Well, it's the typical nice corporate way of saying that you actually can't / don't want to say anything concrete about it. At least he didn't go and immediately rule it out on some silly grounds, as others have done before him wrt other games. *cough*

I've said this before. They probably ruled out Switch because they already have Switch 2 dev kits and it's not worth the effort to downport it to Switch 1.
Presumably because they don’t want to deal with getting it running properly on Switch

Some poster on Era (whom I don’t personally know much about but that site treats as a vetted insider) said it was passed over in favor of a Switch 2 port
so ignore the 130+ mil base in favor of the not 130+ mil base.

Some poster on Era (whom I don’t personally know much about but that site treats as a vetted insider) said it was passed over in favor of a Switch 2 port
Now I kinda expected that line of thinking in all honesty. Do you have any source or link for that? Haven't stepped a foot onto that site for a long time and would be interesting to see. If not it's whatever though.

so ignore the 130+ mil base in favor of the not 130+ mil base.
It’s not just about install base, it’s also about projected resources necessary to get the game running on a much lower power profile and hardware spec. If they decided it was more than they were comfortable with, then it would make sense to jump ahead to the successor.

Prioritizing the successor of the bestselling system of the last two decades isn’t really a poor move or anything lol

Now I kinda expected that line of thinking in all honesty. Do you have any source or link for that? Haven't stepped a foot onto that site for a long time and would be interesting to see. If not it's whatever though.
Not sure if this is against the rules (please let me know if so and I’ll remove it): https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=117961689

Perhaps Switch 1 would have been too much work compared to the 2?
they worked on the switch before it's not like its something unknown to them. and like it's a ps2 game being remade here unless there's a expansive open world or a shitload of raytracing that im missing here.
It’s not just about install base, it’s also about projected resources necessary to get the game running on a much lower power profile and hardware spec. If they decided it was more than they were comfortable with, then it would make sense to jump ahead to the successor.

Prioritizing the successor of the bestselling system of the last two decades isn’t really a poor move or anything lol

Not sure if this is against the rules (please let me know if so and I’ll remove it): https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=117961689
the switch isnt gonna disappear when the succ launches. plus they are releasing p3r on the xbone and ps4 in 2024 so the whole idea of not releasing on older consoles is moot.

the switch isnt gonna disappear when the succ launches. plus they are releasing p3r on the xbone and ps4 in 2024 so the whole idea of not releasing on older consoles is moot.
The Xbox One and PS4 are a whole generation more capable than Switch. And I never indicated the Switch is disappearing when the successor is around either? My entire point is that if they decided that accommodating the Switch’s hardware would be more time and money than they were comfortable allocating to the project, then it would make sense to skip it, all other factors notwithstanding. Nothing you said really counters or even addresses what I said lol

Presumably because they don’t want to deal with getting it running properly on Switch

I'll take that info with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was accurate. True, by skipping the Switch they are missing out on a large userbase, but they probably figured that can be balanced out by being one of the first Switch 2 RPGs available around launch similar to Disgaea 5 Complete and XC2.

The Xbox One and PS4 are a whole generation more capable than Switch. And I never indicated the Switch is disappearing when the successor is around either? My entire point is that if they decided that accommodating the Switch’s hardware would be more time and money than they were comfortable allocating to the project, then it would make sense to skip it, all other factors notwithstanding. Nothing you said really counters or even addresses what I said lol
it's a remake of a ps2 turn based rpg i want to know exactly what requires the power of the switch 2. and hell they aren't really even leaving the switch version off the table here either because that 130+ base is too alluring.

it's a remake of a ps2 turn based rpg i want to know exactly what requires the power of the switch 2. and hell they aren't really even leaving the switch version off the table here either because that 130+ base is too alluring.
I'm of the mind that if P3R was coming to Switch, it would've been announced and launching alongside the other systems two weeks from now, but it isn't. This tells me Switch was never in the planning because a) they just made a goof and willfully chose to ignore the 130+ install base, or b) they are already on board with Switch 2 and would rather just put the work into making the game for Switch 2.

We can question the business decision behind ignoring Switch for Switch 2, but in the end that argument is just a waste of time. The game launches in two weeks and it's already skipping Switch. They clearly don't care to make it for that system (130+ mil base he damned).

I'll take that info with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was accurate. True, by skipping the Switch they are missing out on a large userbase, but they probably figured that can be balanced out by being one of the first Switch 2 RPGs available around launch similar to Disgaea 5 Complete and XC2.
the switch 1 was a clean slate the switch 2 will have bc so trying to be the first rpg is...pointless. we're already flooded by rpgs lol

Okay, again -

They’re using Unreal Engine 4, they’re obviously not good at optimizing third party engines for hardware (SMTV barely holds a framerate on Switch, and while Soul Hackers 2 uses Unity, it barely runs on Xbox One). Obviously the Switch would be able to run this game if time and money was spent on getting it to run, far more technically demanding games have been made to work on Switch after all. However, if they decided they DON’T want to spend, or have, the resources and time necessary to get that happening (especially with their limited skill set), falling back to Switch 2 which can brute force through their inefficiencies makes sound business sense. Yes, you miss on the Switch’s install base, but conversely, as pointed out above, you get the benefit of being a major release in the early days of a successful system’s life where people are more willing to double dip on games they already own/try out games they otherwise wouldn’t/more marketing attention/etc

It’s not just as simple as “Switch has 130 million units sold, it can’t be ignored”

Yeah, not sure how true the info is, but if it is, nothing about it sounds particularly egregious in terms of decision making, certainly not compared to Sega’s usual shenanigans

Silly question, they'd never reveal anything about the Switch version if it exists. Direct reveal means Nintendo NDA.

But if, by any chance, they're planning to skip Switch in favor of the successor version, an instantaneous death for Switch is awaiting us. Like Crap loads of games got PS4 version to keep it alive for years but for Switch, it'll be pronounced dead before the successor releases. Pretty depressing to think about.

Silly question, they'd never reveal anything about the Switch version if it exists. Direct reveal means Nintendo NDA.

But if, by any chance, they're planning to skip Switch in favor of the successor version, an instantaneous death for Switch is awaiting us. Like Crap loads of games got PS4 version to keep it alive for years but for Switch, it'll be pronounced dead before the successor releases. Pretty depressing to think about.
Eh. Lower tier Japanese games and indies (plus some Nintendo games) will keep the Switch alive for years to come. Even Wii U and 3DS got indie and Japanese releases long after everyone else moved on

P3R and P5R have basically the same system requirements for PC so then it would probably be the same amount of effort/time/money to port it and yet they decided not to. For some reason they thought a 3 year late port of an upgraded version of a 6 year old game was worth it while a brand new remake (that's effectively a brand new game for most people) wasn't. I'm just not buying all of these excuses people are making for them, the fact is Atlus simply don't want to port it to Switch for whatever reason and people are allowed to be cross with that.

P3R and P5R have basically the same system requirements for PC so then it would probably be the same amount of effort/time/money to port it and yet they decided not to. For some reason they thought a 3 year late port of an upgraded version of a 6 year old game was worth it while a brand new remake (that's effectively a brand new game for most people) wasn't. I'm just not buying all of these excuses people are making for them, the fact is Atlus simply don't want to port it to Switch for whatever reason and people are allowed to be cross with that.
I’ve explained this in an above post, it’s coming down to their choice of engines

Eh. Lower tier Japanese games and indies (plus some Nintendo games) will keep the Switch alive for years to come. Even Wii U and 3DS got indie and Japanese releases long after everyone else moved on
Nah, expect Falcom and NIS to ditch Switch faster than Sega or Namco, the two expected last remaining supporters. Bigger indie titles, especially from the likes of Annapurna, Devolver, Team17 have already skipping Switch all that's left will be mostly shovelware stuff. And yes, that's a dead console.

In terms of third party releases, the year is pretty empty, there's nothing dated for May and June and after the three games slated for July (Ace Combat, Daybreak, Fantasy Life) there's nothing beyond. There are some potential releases like MGS Vol 2, Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned and Daemon X Machina 2 but everyone's already speculating that all will be for the successor instead of Switch.

the switch 1 was a clean slate the switch 2 will have bc so trying to be the first rpg is...pointless. we're already flooded by rpgs lol
It's pointless to us and other video game forum users, but the only thing the general consumer would see is this new, possibly expanded port, of Persona 3 Reload that got great reviews on the PS5 and XBX is now available as a launch title for the brand new Switch 2.

I still don’t know if that is a legitimate article/quote/interview. You mean to tell me Atlus granted an interview and play session to this unknown website with an author that has no name?

Okay, again -

They’re using Unreal Engine 4, they’re obviously not good at optimizing third party engines for hardware (SMTV barely holds a framerate on Switch, and while Soul Hackers 2 uses Unity, it barely runs on Xbox One). Obviously the Switch would be able to run this game if time and money was spent on getting it to run, far more technically demanding games have been made to work on Switch after all. However, if they decided they DON’T want to spend, or have, the resources and time necessary to get that happening (especially with their limited skill set), falling back to Switch 2 which can brute force through their inefficiencies makes sound business sense. Yes, you miss on the Switch’s install base, but conversely, as pointed out above, you get the benefit of being a major release in the early days of a successful system’s life where people are more willing to double dip on games they already own/try out games they otherwise wouldn’t/more marketing attention/etc

It’s not just as simple as “Switch has 130 million units sold, it can’t be ignored”

Yeah, not sure how true the info is, but if it is, nothing about it sounds particularly egregious in terms of decision making, certainly not compared to Sega’s usual shenanigans
smtv was like their first game on the system and was way more ambitious than p5r which p3r seems to be on par with. and if this thing winds up having bc then that shoots down the whole idea of being among the first major releases on the system. that strat worked for the switch 1 because there was barely any competition but here there's a wealth of options both via bc and potential ports. and if the launch period is as crowded as I expect it to be it's gonna get overshadowed (never mind the 70 dollar late port with the other versions being like 20 by then...) this is walking straight towards an underperformance if it's just switch 2 but hey if the bean counters that signed off on soul hackers 2 said it's okay I guess it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom