• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Persona 3 Reload Prerelease Discussion Thread (UP: Release date: February 2nd 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pointless to us and other video game forum users, but the only thing the general consumer would see is this new, possibly expanded port, of Persona 3 Reload that got great reviews on the PS5 and XBX is now available as a launch title for the brand new Switch 2.
i dont know if joe mcbob jr is gonna be interested in p3r when theres a shiny new mario game, call of duty and elden ring: elden harder available at launch. never mind the fact that jrpgs arent the biggest sellers out there already.

i dont know if joe mcbob jr is gonna be interested in p3r when theres a shiny new mario game, call of duty and elden ring: elden harder available at launch. never mind the fact that jrpgs arent the biggest sellers out there already.
Nintendo has done a pretty good job at cultivating an RPG audience on their handhelds that extended to the Switch so I don't see why P3R wouldn't do well on the Switch 2 as a launch year title.

Also I think you're getting way too heated over this hypothetical situation. For all we know the simple reason why P3R isn't on the Switch alongside the others is because the dev team couldn't get it optimized for the system in time for the planned release so decided to go with the current systems and release P3R on the Switch once they have it optimized to their satisfaction or save it for the Switch 2 and brute force their way through any issues.

the biggest goof is probably moving forward with development knowing Switch 1 can't handle the game. what they shoulda done is use Switch 1 as the base then upport 😢

I don’t want games like this or Visions of Mana on the current hardware. Switch 2 is so close that I’d rather wait and not have to deal with the compromises.

You know, as leaks and rumours go, this is the most fucking obvious one, unless you're one of those weirdos who randomly thinks Atlus has a grudge against Nintendo

I've already stumbled across this first gameplay session on another site. And well, I don't like what I’ve seen very much, it all seems much more sterile and therefore robs the atmosphere of its effect to a certain extent. Of course, this is extremely subjective, so I understand if others perceive it completely differently. In my opinion, the roughness of the original version simply gave the whole thing an additional charm that has now been lost. The reduction in animated cutscenes and relying on in-game rendering instead also appeals to me much less. I miss the eeriness a little.

I'm surprised that nobody posted this, but here's gameplay of the first 50 minutes. Are we all burned out on the trailers?

Since I haven't played the original, I'm trying to avoid spoilers and pretty much everything else at this point. I'll probably check out reviews a bit when they come out this week, but that's about all.

I thought this wasn't coming out until March. For some reason my brain had put it behind FF7 Remake's release date. I'll have to go preorder it sometime between now and Friday.

I'm surprised that nobody posted this, but here's gameplay of the first 50 minutes. Are we all burned out on the trailers?

There just isn’t a lot for me to comment on since it’s looking to be so close to the original. It seems like they’re still using voice recordings of Igor’s old VA, though.

Yeah I will play this on GamePass. May play this later on the Switch 2 when it releases there.

Getting pretty excited to get this going. I only played a handful of hours back in the day but I liked it a lot. I really vibed with the boarding school setting and how it’s a bit more dark in tone compared to 4 and 5.

Also, claimed the ST.

I heard the reviews will drop today, Tuesday, but elsewhere I saw an embargo countdown that seem to indicate Wednesday.

EDIT: seeing more places suggesting the drop is tomorrow at 9AM Pacific / noon Eastern, but wouldn't be surprised to see a few today

Edit: Beaten by Ozzie.

Edit 2:

Last edited:
89 with 34 reviews

Damn those scores are really unexpected high....! Guess I'm gonna grab a copy this weekend.

I think they handled it pretty well.
It's based more on the dialog from p3p, but adjusted to remove the part where they make her uncomfortable, replacing it with a new kinda funny ending (turning her into a scammer, scaring the boys away because of a bad deal instead).

Still kinda fucked up how the adult character is still so lascivious towards the kids. Could've changed that ATLUS... but I think the age gap isn't that high
iirc the p3 characters are around 17 (with the exception of Ken - which is not in that scene anyways and there's no femc route in p3r).

And iirc, akihiko himself is 18 right?

Current Gen tested. Highlights:
-PS5/Series X have RT reflections, S does not
-4K60pfs for PS5/Series X, 1080p60fps Series S
-Environments lack geometry and looks flat at times
-SSAO needs a tune up. Everything is to bright lol.

I already had Friday off and was looking forward to diving into this, but I was not expecting reviews to be this good, dang. I figured it'd be more in 'good, not great, still feels outdated in a lot of areas despite the shiny new graphics' territory but apparently they really did a lot to upgrade the game.

I wonder if it will run 60 on next gen Switch. Although we have no idea what the clocks will be.

I wonder if it will run 60 on next gen Switch. Although we have no idea what the clocks will be.
I would assume. There is nothing in this game that is too costly. The rt reflections arent great, it hurts performance a bit on Series X (they did not test the PS5 in that area).

I wish articles like these would acknowledge the existence of Innocent Sin at the least. Like that game has a canonically bisexual protagonist, and the gay romance in that game is considered canon because it's the one the devs had the most fun writing. Because it's not an Atlus thing on the whole. It's really specifically a problem with Katsura Hashino. I'm not surprised that the moment he leaves Persona, it immediately manages to shed off the worst of his male-gazey-anime-trope filled nonsense.

Like, we're talking about the guy whose excuse in having poor social links for female characters is "I have never forged a close friendship with a woman in my entire life".

It's even a thing in P5, where the character designer really wanted to go all-out in making the cast feel like outcasts of society (specifically, the original design for Takemi was going to be even more intense on the goth side), but Hashino kept demanding the designs to be toned down.

Like name who these things come from. For gods sake, SMT itself generally has pretty decent queer rep on the whole (even if some of it, particularly related to trans stuff is pretty bad/outdated at times but that's mostly the 2000s stuff), it's really specifically Hashino who has problems with queer rep in his stuff.

I would assume. There is nothing in this game that is too costly. The rt reflections arent great, it hurts performance a bit on Series X (they did not test the PS5 in that area).
If I were to hazard a hypothetical Switch 2 performance profile I'd say 1080p handheld, 1440p docked (upscaled or native), both running at 30 fps in order to prioritize resolution and keep the RT reflections. No matter how it's clocked T239 can't really hit Series S parity, even when docked. Might as well aim for higher resolutions when Switch 2 will mostly be played on 4K TVs.

A real mixed bag. Characters and effects work are great, but the terrible lighting situation is really letting down the remake's presentation, not that its environmental assets and geometry are anything to write home about but yeesh.

Hilarious how SMT V is still Atlus's most advanced (and beautiful) HD era game. When the team "stranded" on Switch outclasses the next-gen home console ones.

EDIT: Watching the video you can really tell that Oliver is a big Persona fan ahah

Last edited:
I wish articles like these would acknowledge the existence of Innocent Sin at the least. Like that game has a canonically bisexual protagonist, and the gay romance in that game is considered canon because it's the one the devs had the most fun writing. Because it's not an Atlus thing on the whole. It's really specifically a problem with Katsura Hashino. I'm not surprised that the moment he leaves Persona, it immediately manages to shed off the worst of his male-gazey-anime-trope filled nonsense.

Like, we're talking about the guy whose excuse in having poor social links for female characters is "I have never forged a close friendship with a woman in my entire life".

It's even a thing in P5, where the character designer really wanted to go all-out in making the cast feel like outcasts of society (specifically, the original design for Takemi was going to be even more intense on the goth side), but Hashino kept demanding the designs to be toned down.

Like name who these things come from. For gods sake, SMT itself generally has pretty decent queer rep on the whole (even if some of it, particularly related to trans stuff is pretty bad/outdated at times but that's mostly the 2000s stuff), it's really specifically Hashino who has problems with queer rep in his stuff.
Persona sounds like it’s gonna be better once he leaves

How much influence did Hashino had over P3P? That one also felt like an outlier given Aeigis's Social Link and story changes invovling her. (Not to mention Mitsuru's and Yukari's and Saori's and...you know in hindsight P3P is VERY sapphic...)

Last edited:
How much influence did Hashino had over P3P? That one also felt like an outlier given Aeigis's Social Link and story changes invovling her. (Not to mention Mitsuru's and Yukari's and Saori's and...you in hindsight P3P is VERY sapphic...)
To my memory, he's responsible for the project being greenlit and is the one who encouraged the dev team to "backport" a bunch of P4 features into it. Beyond that, his involvement isn't known - there's not much on FeMCs development and Atlus doesn't bring her up much. Hence, I don't know if he's the one who suggested adding FeMC into the game.

Persona sounds like it’s gonna be better once he leaves
He left P-team after the original 5 released. Persona Q2, 5 Royals new content, Strikers and that recent tactics game are all P-team without Hashino at the helm. I'd say that they're doing great without him.

Right now he's working on refantazio.

To my memory, he's responsible for the project being greenlit and is the one who encouraged the dev team to "backport" a bunch of P4 features into it. Beyond that, his involvement isn't known - there's not much on FeMCs development and Atlus doesn't bring her up much. Hence, I don't know if he's the one who suggested adding FeMC into the game.

He left P-team after the original 5 released. Persona Q2, 5 Royals new content, Strikers and that recent tactics game are all P-team without Hashino at the helm. I'd say that they're doing great without him.

Right now he's working on refantazio.
Yeah, currently I'd say P3P (FeMC) route is perhaps the most friendly pro-LGBT game in the franchise, even if it feels like a good chunk of it is accidental.

Sorry rambly thoughts ahead

Aigis was definitely planned though given the explicit dialogue changes. Mitsuru's and Yukari's are mostly pulled from the male route but...honestly Mitsuru's Social Link feels even more romantic despite it being the same dialogue and you inexplicably not getting a relationship with them. Like, this dialogue

From now on, I will no longer allow my sex or my family name to
shackle me.
I am me. I have things only I can do.
And I will accomplish them...
I will never ask you to run away with me ever again.
Instead, FeMC...
Stay by my side. Fight alongside me... live alongside me.
...Understand?

kind of takes on a different meaning despite it being the same dialogue?

Hm...might make a topic on the Sapphic nature of P3P as well as Ruuji's comments as well...

If I were to hazard a hypothetical Switch 2 performance profile I'd say 1080p handheld, 1440p docked (upscaled or native), both running at 30 fps in order to prioritize resolution and keep the RT reflections. No matter how it's clocked T239 can't really hit Series S parity, even when docked. Might as well aim for higher resolutions when Switch 2 will mostly be played on 4K TVs.

A real mixed bag. Characters and effects work are great, but the terrible lighting situation is really letting down the remake's presentation, not that its environmental assets and geometry are anything to write home about but yeesh.

Hilarious how SMT V is still Atlus's most advanced (and beautiful) HD era game. When the team "stranded" on Switch outclasses the next-gen home console ones.

EDIT: Watching the video you can really tell that Oliver is a big Persona fan ahah
Imo, I wouldn't trade performance for the resolution bump, but its a turn based rpg so in the end it wouldn't matter.

The lighting is the killer thing for me (mods will fix it). But yeah I've gone back to SMTV recently and you are not wrong lol.

P2 has some nasty transphobia coming from Lisa

P2 has some nasty transphobia coming from Lisa
...not that I recall? Lisa doesn't interact with the two NPCs that are GNC.

I'm not saying the games handle it that well (keep in mind that they are pre-2000 JRPGs), one of them is especially handled poorly (a minor background NPC) and from what I know, the fan localization made it worse, but given the time period they released in, Persona 2: IS has queer rep that's way ahead of the mess that is Persona 3/4/5s crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom