• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Persona 3 Reload Prerelease Discussion Thread (UP: Release date: February 2nd 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hearing the snippet of the new arrangement for moon reaching out to stars basically obliterated my desire to play this game lol

lord have mercy i hope they allow you to use the original ost because if the rest of the new stuff is as bad as that... yeesh

Looks great! Looks like another comfy 100 hours.
If I try to beat this on a home console, I'd probably finish it around 2026 or 2027. It's just too long for a home console, it needs to be on Switch. I'm sure it'll come to Switch at some point, but until then, I'll try to beat it on Deck.

If I try to beat this on a home console, I'd probably finish it around 2026 or 2027. It's just too long for a home console, it needs to be on Switch. I'm sure it'll come to Switch at some point, but until then, I'll try to beat it on Deck.

Yeah, I can't play these games tied to a TV anymore. My plan for this one is the Deck.

I wonder if PS remote play has improved since the Vita days...

From the Xbox stream today. They added the Theurgy attack that can be used by a character after a gauge is filled.

Yeah, I can't play these games tied to a TV anymore. My plan for this one is the Deck.

I wonder if PS remote play has improved since the Vita days...
Yes and no. I have a great LAN and when I'm playing I'll still get random instances every five minutes where the game completely locks up and freezes for ten seconds. When it works, it works better than it used to. But it still has issues.

1695385939116.png

Found some nice art.

God, this game is looking so good! Can’t wait to finally get my hands on it next year. My only hope is that I don’t get RPG-ed out then

It's going to be nice jumping into this game knowing almost nothing about it at all. I know very vaguely that there's guns to summon personas, I've heard Mass Destruction before, and some of the looks of the characters. That's... about it. I know literally nothing about the plot and have remained unspoiled, which is great since I had the twist (several of them) for P4G spoiled for me well in advance.

New Famitsu interview with the P3R developers.

Yamaguchi: Yes, that’s correct. We introduced “SHOWTIME” (the special combination moves between allies) in Persona 5 Royal, which was well received not just for gameplay reasons, but also for its presentation. So we wanted to add something new in that vein this time. Theurgy always hits its target when activated, so it doesn’t only have to be used against bosses but it can reliably take down rare shadows too.

If used effectively against ordinary enemies, it could also let you save SP.
I was surprised to hear that there are episodes that delve deeper not only into the allies, but also into the members of Strega.

Niitsuma: In the original game, most of their scenes depicted conflict because they’re not allies. In this game, we’ve added episodes that reveal the struggles unique to persona users who have awakened to their abilities in a different way than the S.E.E.S. members. You can catch a glimpse of Strega’s side and their inner turmoil.

Personally, I’ve resonated with their unique charm since I played the original game, and as a development team, we’ve been conscious when it comes to depicting them carefully.

I'm still deciding whether to wait for the (in my eyes inevitable) Switch port or just buy it on Steam. 🤔
You could play it on pc gamepass for cheap to get your fill then buy it on Switch 2 when it eventually comes. That's my plan.

Most of these remixes sound not great. Hope there's an option for OG music.

Also need someone to leak a Switch 2 port so I can know if it's safe to cancel my preorder of the CE

I guess I'm not finishing my Male MC run of P3P any time soon. I do still want to play FeMC.

My PS4 sees new life this year between this game and Metaphor.

I guess I'm not finishing my Male MC run of P3P any time soon. I do still want to play FeMC.

My PS4 sees new life this year between this game and Metaphor.
I’m playing through FeMC’s route right now, and I’m really curious how Atlus is gonna modernize Tartarus, ‘cause woo boy this is some old fashioned dungeon crawling

I’m playing through FeMC’s route right now, and I’m really curious how Atlus is gonna modernize Tartarus, ‘cause woo boy this is some old fashioned dungeon crawling
On the flip side, rogue-likes are still in vogue so I doubt they’ll change much aside from possibly making the boss/checkpoint floors more interesting.

I admit I'm also curious about that. They've showed some footage with great graphic enhancements but at the end of the day, Tartarus gonna Tartarus.

Going back to P3P after P5R was rough because of how dated and padded Tartarus felt. I don't expect them to fundamentally change it beyond the visual overhaul but it'd be nice if they spiced it up a bit and made it a bit more dynamic.

I don't mind the dungeons being on the simple(r) side, as that's not what I'm primarily playing Persona for. If they stick with the original design for Tartarus, then I'll be more than fine.

I’m really thinking of playing Reload when it comes out thanks to it being on game pass. I’ve never played a Persona game before.. is 3 beginner friendly? should i start with 4 or 5 instead?
Mechanics are pretty much the same across all three modern Persona games, it's the story and the characters that differ. If you have played any monster catching games, even any Pokémon game, you're good to go. This is a monster catching game first and foremost and things aren't that much different from Pokémon (it's much closer to Digimon and DQ Monsters with the fusion mechanic though). You'll get new attacks as you level up and there's an elemental weakness chain just like Pokémon.

I’m really thinking of playing Reload when it comes out thanks to it being on game pass. I’ve never played a Persona game before.. is 3 beginner friendly? should i start with 4 or 5 instead?

I've been calling P3R the P5-ification of Persona 3 in the sense that the game is getting a lot of quality of life and presentation upgrades that P5 injected into the series (probably the thing it does best). If you adopt the fuse or die mindset of SMT/Persona you'll be fine.

I still encourage you to play the others though. :)

Going back to P3P after P5R was rough because of how dated and padded Tartarus felt. I don't expect them to fundamentally change it beyond the visual overhaul but it'd be nice if they spiced it up a bit and made it a bit more dynamic.
Spice it up how? Add puzzles?

I hope not. I think Tartarus is perfect as is. I like how simple it is with the objective being to get to the stairs and stop exploring that floor the moment you see it. If this game still has the floor heavy Tartarus then no puzzles is better. If we're gonna get P4/P5-fied and we get a compact Tartarus then sure add puzzles because each floor matters more. but I think the team behind the last 3 Persona games have shown no aptitude for creating good gameplay out of the dungeons and battle system so I'd actually prefer overall to eliminate those aspects

I really wish this was coming to Switch. It would've been nice to have all the modern Persona games on one platform. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it!

I will say, as someone who went from 5 to 3 to 4, 5 is the easiest game of the bunch.

As someone who hasn’t played the original and didn’t really like the many-similar-floors dungeons in P4, I would absolutely love it if they redesigned all the dungeons to be more like Persona 5 (probably my favorite RPG dungeons in a very long time, if not ever) but I know that’d be a lot of work and also change things a lot, so I’m trying to go into this with an open mind.

As someone who hasn’t played the original and didn’t really like the many-similar-floors dungeons in P4, I would absolutely love it if they redesigned all the dungeons to be more like Persona 5 (probably my favorite RPG dungeons in a very long time, if not ever) but I know that’d be a lot of work and also change things a lot, so I’m trying to go into this with an open mind.

I mean, the only dungeon in P3 is Tartarus. There are different blocks with different aesthetics, but it's Tartarus.

From what little they've shown (ironic since they've shown everything else) it looks like Tartarus has gotten a huge graphics overhaul and there's more interaction between characters while inside Tartarus, but otherwise nothing is different. Think of Tartarus as a giant Mementos, except something like Ryuji's Confidant to quickly wipe out mobs wouldn't be as useful as mobs in Tartarus scale decently. Also the Reaper is terrifying (ask me about how I Game Over'd during the tutorial visit in P3P!!).

P3 keeps things close to the SMT dungeon crawling roots which, as @ohlawd has covered, is not a bad thing for numerous reasons. Thematically it works. It also keeps the runtime more reasonable than a certain other long-winded game.

And good God y'all, I've missed Shuffle Time. Imagine my confusion when I went from 5 to 4 and 3 and was like, "the hell is this?" People who have only played 5 or SMT are in for a surprise.

The games generally have gotten easier as they go (including enhanced rereleases). 3P and 4 are easier than 3, 5 is easier than 4, 5R is easier than 5, etc. You could start on 5 but its gameplay enhancements are significant compared to 3/4 so it’s hard to say how that would set your expectations. In many ways Reload looks like it’s bringing 3 up to 5’s gameplay so waiting for it to come out isn’t the worst idea.

From what little they've shown (ironic since they've shown everything else) it looks like Tartarus has gotten a huge graphics overhaul and there's more interaction between characters while inside Tartarus, but otherwise nothing is different.
There’s a number of improvements akin to what Mementos got in P5R. It’s fundamentally the same as before, but the experience shouldn’t be as drab and painful as it initially was.

Having played both this year for the first time, four holds up much better than three does.

I just don't think P3R would sell that well if they keep Tartarus mostly intact and if they didn't change that, I'm confused why they spend the resources to remake 3 instead of 4.
I think in their minds, Persona 3 has a lot of things that could be done to bring it up to the modern Persona standards. I just wished they would've made it a point to have FeMC as part of this remake.

Spice it up how? Add puzzles?

I hope not. I think Tartarus is perfect as is. I like how simple it is with the objective being to get to the stairs and stop exploring that floor the moment you see it. If this game still has the floor heavy Tartarus then no puzzles is better. If we're gonna get P4/P5-fied and we get a compact Tartarus then sure add puzzles because each floor matters more. but I think the team behind the last 3 Persona games have shown no aptitude for creating good gameplay out of the dungeons and battle system so I'd actually prefer overall to eliminate those aspects
Cut the floors and make them more individually meaningful, yes. Tartarus is insanely padded. It felt like more of a slog to me than P5R, which itself is a game that outstays its welcome by quite a bit.

But I see your point, if they're not going to do that then I guess 'boring and dull' is better than 'boring and dull and annoying'.

I think in their minds, Persona 3 has a lot of things that could be done to bring it up to the modern Persona standards. I just wished they would've made it a point to have FeMC as part of this remake.
Easily one of the biggest missed opportunities with this remake. Glad I got to experience it with P3P at least.

I just don't think P3R would sell that well if they keep Tartarus mostly intact and if they didn't change that, I'm confused why they spend the resources to remake 3 instead of 4.
Who said it has to be on or the other? 3 is the older game that could use the touch ups more. 4 will happen eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom