• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodstained doesn't even feel all that good on a PC running at a rock solid 60 fps. The game's inherently sluggish, imo, so the Switch version only amplified what wasn't all that great to begin with.

Happy to see P5R delivering. Will pick it up on Switch for sure now!

To be fair, that could just be the game. Every Castlevania game I’ve played has felt sluggish compared to Metroid.
I think it was definitely Bloodstained chugging along- its a little better these days. I preferred the Curse of the Moon spin-offs anyway :)

I've found that the OLED screen does a pretty good job at masking lower resolutions in general, due to its overall crispness, so that will probably be my case with this game too. Also native UI elements work in the image quality's favor more than you would think for most games.

To be fair, that could just be the game. Every Castlevania game I’ve played has felt sluggish compared to Metroid.
I guess thats true. I did also played the Castlevania Adv collection but its not fair to compare it to GBA games

Rising on the Amazon sales charts. It's now at #16 on the Switch best selling games list. Was at like #25 yesterday.

Oh wow. Yeah, I dont know if they have patched it since I played it (early last year) and it is playable but feels sluggish, does not help that I played Dread that same year and it felt like jumping from PS3 to PS5 game lol
Yeah Bloodstained was sluggish even when I played in on the XBox One, even by Castlevania standards

You know that people and shit like that are getting obnoxious af when even I, a Steam Deck owner, don't want to participate in Steam Deck discussions and communities anymore due to the way things are going right now. Just ... exhausting.
I was actually looking into one early on but between the price (64gb at the lowest end, which is like half a CoD) and the fact that the fan base seems to really enjoy crapping on my enjoyment of a console, just really got turned off. I bet v2 or v3 Deck might change my mind. Also it needs an easier way to dock.

I was actually looking into one early on but between the price (64gb at the lowest end, which is like half a CoD) and the fact that the fan base seems to really enjoy crapping on my enjoyment of a console, just really got turned off. I bet v2 or v3 Deck might change my mind. Also it needs an easier way to dock.
I mean, I wouldn't let people shitting on another system turning you off from buying it. As someone who finds that obnoxious too, I'm waiting on mine to come in this week so I can make it my emulation + programming device so it can replace my laptop

For a minimum of $399, you can just play this on Steam Deck everyone has informed me numerous times
Not so easy if where you live doesn't really have Steam Decks on sale (like where I live, Brazil). I know people buying other alternatives and saying they are pretty good, even if not cheaper, so maybe this will be the way for.........handheld PC gaming (is this a thing?)

Not so easy if where you live doesn't really have Steam Decks on sale (like where I live, Brazil). I know people buying other alternatives and saying they are pretty good, even if not cheaper, so maybe this will be the way for.........handheld PC gaming (is this a thing?)
Been an incredibly niche market for handheld PCs for a good while now. I have an old GPD Win, myself. Thing got hot playing Visual Novels and only had one speaker.

You know that people and shit like that are getting obnoxious af when even I, a Steam Deck owner, don't want to participate in Steam Deck discussions and communities anymore due to the way things are going right now. Just ... exhausting.
it feels like Steam Deck® owners spend more time reminding the rest of us that they own a Steam Deck® than they do playing the damn thing

So interesting fact: Persona 5 is now officially the first game ever to maintain a 90+ metascore across three separate releases. Even GTAV, TLOU, and Skyrim didn’t do that.

it feels like Steam Deck® owners spend more time reminding the rest of us that they own a Steam Deck® than they do playing the damn thing

It was starting to put me off about every podcast I listen to - but then I remembered they all did literally the same thing with Switch for years. “Perfect for Switch”, “Great on my Switch” etc.

For many gaming journalists and core audiences able buy one, it’s really the new hotness. Nothing can replace Nintendo first party content, and there’s still praise for the OLED screen on the Switch, but the mood has otherwise massively shifted in the content I listen to.

Cool, the one thing nobody ever patches. At least the OLED itself is pretty loud. And I got newer hearing aids I can raise the volume on.
Yeah, it's a pretty unfortunate casualty. It especially stands out right after playing Xenoblade and Nier.

Hopefully the hearing aids can help make up for it!

Yeah, it's a pretty unfortunate casualty. It especially stands out right after playing Xenoblade and Nier.

Hopefully the hearing aids can help make up for it!
Oh, they will. But it’ll also make everything else louder. On the one hand, it’s cool to be able to watch movies in like, movie theater volume without bothering anyone else in the house, but sometimes I forget and then it’s like someone’s yelling in my ear lol.

It's pretty low
Are there no volume settings in the game? LEGO Marvel Super Heroes on Switch also had WAY too low audio and the in-game settings are maxed by default. :/

I brought this up to a TT Games employee on Twitter who answered a question of mine not long prior. Never got a response. Sigh.

720p docked is disappointing yeah, seeing Nier Automata which is presumably more demanding aims for 1080p and lots of demanding ports came at 900p.

BUT I think the game is a huge step forward from the PS3 version. I played that version to the end and from videos of gameplay I saw it absolutely looks better than that. RPGSite review(I think?) mentions textures appear to be rendered at 1080p. I think it also looks overall darker than PS4/3(maybe it's all the new versions?)

Waiting eagerly for the DF review!!(also they're busy this month with Switch stuff to review - Nier Automata, No Man's Sky, Persona 5 Royal, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope and Bayonetta 3).

It was starting to put me off about every podcast I listen to - but then I remembered they all did literally the same thing with Switch for years. “Perfect for Switch”, “Great on my Switch” etc.

For many gaming journalists and core audiences able buy one, it’s really the new hotness. Nothing can replace Nintendo first party content, and there’s still praise for the OLED screen on the Switch, but the mood has otherwise massively shifted in the content I listen to.
Were they even the same people? To me the perfect for Switch meme was about calling out what games that would make sense on it. Wii U missed a bunch of games that it could run for obvious reasons, Switch managed to turn this around and one of its selling points was being the only portable console on the market that could run these games. The rest is history and now it has the best third party lineup on a Nintendo platform since a long time. You had a lot of devs, notably PC centric ones, that finally got their games on a Nintendo platform for once, and one of the main incentives besides the strong sales is that you would be offering your game on a portable console, something competitors aren’t offering. That’s why people often said that a game was perfect for Switch, it was a way to show enthusiasm and to break this tradition of third parties skipping Nintendo platforms for arbitrary reasons.

The Steam Deck hype is more like the PC Master Race meme but for portables. When you consider that some of the initial hype and impressions for the platform revolved around inventing performance issues for existing Switch games in order to create incentive to get a Steam Deck, it’s pretty clear that this is nothing but fanboyism and another case of PC gamers being insufferable

Were they even the same people? To me the perfect for Switch meme was about calling out what games that would make sense on it. Wii U missed a bunch of games that it could run for obvious reasons, Switch managed to turn this around and one of its selling points was being the only portable console on the market that could run these games. The rest is history and now it has the best third party lineup on a Nintendo platform since a long time. You had a lot of devs, notably PC centric ones, that finally got their games on a Nintendo platform for once, and one of the main incentives besides the strong sales is that you would be offering your game on a portable console, something competitors aren’t offering. That’s why people often said that a game was perfect for Switch, it was a way to show enthusiasm and to break this tradition of third parties skipping Nintendo platforms for arbitrary reasons.

The Steam Deck hype is more like the PC Master Race meme but for portables. When you consider that some of the initial hype and impressions for the platform revolved around inventing performance issues for existing Switch games in order to create incentive to get a Steam Deck, it’s pretty clear that this is nothing but fanboyism and another case of PC gamers being insufferable
Yeah, there are very few games that “aren’t “ (through Steam) coming to Steam Deck, so there’s a lot less to “port-beg” for

Steam Deck is just reminding PC gamers that 30 FPS is still ok to play all of a sudden.🤔

720p docked is pretty disappointing to me, considering it's a PS3 game at the end of the day and we've seen other PS3/360 and even PS4/XB1 ports do better. Figured it'd be at least 900p or something. Handheld resolution is at least okay
Yeah I'm not too familiar with Persona 5 other than 'turn-based dungeon crawler', which does not sound demanding, especially when considering Nier Automata pulled off a reconstructed 1080p. I would've been fine with a dynamic 900p because then it'd be a locked 900p on Drake. So much of my faith lies in these publishers/devs developing Drake patches...

For a minimum of $399, you can just play this on Steam Deck everyone has informed me numerous times
Steam Deck isn't even an out-of-the-box hybrid experience i.e. the main reason why the Switch appeals to me. Easy docking with automatic graphics mode switching and wireless controller pairing? Not going to happen unless you get fancy with some shell scripts (and buy the Docker / third-party adapter for an additional $50-$90). The Deck is a cool portable PC that realizes the Steam OS potential but its UX cannot compare to the bespoke design of the Switch. Convenience and ease of us are why I've bought a hefty number of third-party games on Switch, only dipping into Steam for games I really don't think will be ported e.g. Sekiro, Starfield.

well theres your problem: never listen to gaming podcasts. uniting two annoying things (gamers and podcasts) into one very annoying thing.

Were they even the same people?

Without too many examples, Grubb somehow finds a way to name drop Steam Deck every other sentence, and yes he very often used to plug the Switch. Probably 2-3 others at Giant Bomb are speaking the same language.

Switch is showing its age. Steam Deck isn’t hitting crazy performance numbers, but it is that step up that a lot of people want out of the Switch by now.

Yeah I'm not too familiar with Persona 5 other than 'turn-based dungeon crawler', which does not sound demanding, especially when considering Nier Automata pulled off a reconstructed 1080p. I would've been fine with a dynamic 900p because then it'd be a locked 900p on Drake. So much of my faith lies in these publishers/devs developing Drake patches...
Yeah, I'm definitely not betting on companies like ATLUS doing that. Maybe Nintendo might do that for a few of their big evergreen titles here and there. I could see some ongoing or really popular 3rd party / indie titles getting them but I imagine there won't be as much of an incentive as there is for PS/Xbox

How does royal work for a novice to the genre?
You’ll be fine if it’s your first entry in the Megami Tensei franchise. Might be a bit of a learning curve if you’ve never played an RPG before, but there are some very forgiving difficulty settings if you’re only interested in the story and don’t want a hard time.

Nintendo kind of missed their moment, but I have hope that they'll come back

Probably the best possible entry into JRPGs there is at the moment tbh. I know several people who don't care for anime, JRPGs, or turn based games, and yet fucking adore Persona 5.
Yeah, I can agree with this. When I first played the game back in 2017 I loved JRPGs but thought I wouldn't like the social elements and life sim stuff, but once I actually played it it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time and I found I liked those aspects of it a lot.

The only thing it might have going against it as a genre newcomer is that it IS pretty slow in the beginning (well, post prologue, which is sweet). It takes a while for it to build up and really let you go, but if you kind of just let yourself get immersed and go along for the ride, the way in which it slowly opens up more and more systems/locations/events/etc. throughout the game is incredible.
I will still never forget the very first time you're given more freedom and the vocal version of "Beneath the Mask" plays. One of many magical moments throughout.

Yeah, I can agree with this. When I first played the game back in 2017 I loved JRPGs but thought I wouldn't like the social elements and life sim stuff, but once I actually played it it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time and I found I liked those aspects of it a lot.

The only thing it might have going against it as a genre newcomer is that it IS pretty slow in the beginning (well, post prologue, which is sweet). It takes a while for it to build up and really let you go, but if you kind of just let yourself get immersed and go along for the ride, the way in which it slowly opens up more and more systems/locations/events/etc. throughout the game is incredible.
I will still never forget the very first time you're given more freedom and the vocal version of "Beneath the Mask" plays. One of many magical moments throughout.
I think P5R actually makes the onboarding a lot less off putting than it was in the vanilla. In the vanilla version, I remember being irritated at constantly being railroaded by the game for what felt like 10-12 hours (it was certainly until after the first dungeon), Royal feels like it lets loose way earlier than that thankfully. That said, yeah, it is definitely a slow start narratively, though the game's great use of flashbacks as a framing device I think is the thing that alleviates that and keeps newcomers hooked, since it points at the slow buildup going somewhere big).

And yes, I agree with you on your spoiler, that was cool. As was
the moment you send the calling card to Kamoshida, and Life Will Change plays for the first time, that is just a jaw dropping moment of pure intense hype

Nintendo kind of missed their moment, but I have hope that they'll come back

lol I know you’re joking (at least I assume so), but I do think the Deck, or perhaps an iteration or so down the line, will be legitimate competition for Switch.

I don’t even have a choice around it yet here in Australia - couldn’t buy one easily if I wanted to.

lol I know you’re joking (at least I assume so), but I do think the Deck, or perhaps an iteration or so down the line, will be legitimate competition for Switch.

I don’t even have a choice around it yet here in Australia - couldn’t buy one easily if I wanted to.
I'm not joking honestly

a powerful switch is going to be a very tough sell next year

I don't think Nintendo has anything to worry about quite yet, maybe another iteration or two of the Deck once the kinks are ironed out and it's a bit more friendly to casual gamers/people who can't be fucked to download and mess with Protons to play Soul Hackers 2.

It'll also help if the rumors are true of Value making games with a focus on Deck compatibility. Valve are one of the few that can stand with Nintendo when it comes to quality software IMO.

I agree, the "perfect for Switch" meme was born out of genuine enthusiasm for the system. Despite the griping you'd see on places like Resetera and Reddit where they would disparage anyone who said it as port-beggars the Switch really opened many eyes on how convenient handheld systems are in the modern world where being able to game on giant 4K screens and extravagant home theater systems isn't feasible for many people.

The same can't really be said for the Steam Deck where it feels like most of the excitement comes from putting down the Switch as inferior. The Deck community has even adopted the "perfect for" meme more out of making a mockery of Switch owners then any real enthusiasm for having the games on the system.
How does royal work for a novice to the genre?
I'm not sure about Persona 5 Royal since I haven't played it yet, but the Persona 3 and 4 are great starting points into MegaTen and I'd imagine the same holds true for P5R.
I'm not joking honestly

a powerful switch is going to be a very tough sell next year
Can you go more into detail on why you think so? Because right now this reads like pointless handwringing to me.

Can you go more into detail on why you think so? Because right now this reads like pointless handwringing to me.
I suspect that the people interested in a high performance handheld have (or will have) invested in a steam deck. it's becoming a very competitive space

that's not based on any data of course

I suspect that the people interested in a high performance handheld have (or will have) invested in a steam deck. it's becoming a very competitive space

I think some of them have, sure, but this doesn’t take into account: A) The fact that many of the enthusiasts who’d buy a steam deck are the type to buy more/other expensive gaming items too, B) The reaction that seeing something like BOTW2 or Metroid Prime remake looking gorgeous on a more powerful Switch would cause, especially among that enthusiast crowd, and finally C) If there’s good support/back compat/ graphical improvements then anything with the Nintendo and Switch name will sell well; or at least the amount of sales they wouldn’t get based on the number of people who instead bought a steam deck are very, very low IMO.

I think P5R actually makes the onboarding a lot less off putting than it was in the vanilla. In the vanilla version, I remember being irritated at constantly being railroaded by the game for what felt like 10-12 hours (it was certainly until after the first dungeon), Royal feels like it lets loose way earlier than that thankfully. That said, yeah, it is definitely a slow start narratively, though the game's great use of flashbacks as a framing device I think is the thing that alleviates that and keeps newcomers hooked, since it points at the slow buildup going somewhere big).

And yes, I agree with you on your spoiler, that was cool. As was
the moment you send the calling card to Kamoshida, and Life Will Change plays for the first time, that is just a jaw dropping moment of pure intense hype
It’s funny how many amazing moments in this game are tied directly to the music. The one you mentioned is great, too. And still one of my favorite little moments in all of gaming:
When you arrive at the final palace on the last day of the entire game, knowing everything that means and all the buildup, and “I Believe” kicks in. Running up that spiral staircase to the boss while that track plays and you reflect on 140 hours spent with this cast of characters as it all comes to an end… it’s not a feeling I can really even describe.

There's a significant chance Valve just abandons the Steam Deck, like most of their endeavors, and it has basically nonexistent reach beyond the hardcore enthusiast market, and almost certainly won't be a success whatsoever in markets like Japan. The next Nintendo handheld will be fine unless Nintendo makes some colossally stupid choices

Not quite sure about that. Don’t think the Deck is a mass market type of thing, considering the amount of tweaking a lot of games appear to need, the poor battery life, the weight… I genuinely think that the Deck should fear the Drake and not the opposite (if, of course, Nintendo sells the thing as a Switch successor).

I dunno about buying the game... I am still playing bayo3, MHR: Sunbreak and a bit of splatoon here and there... Then there is Bayo3... and got Nier the other day in an impulse buy... Damn I need another life to play all those games!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom