• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think P5R actually makes the onboarding a lot less off putting than it was in the vanilla. In the vanilla version, I remember being irritated at constantly being railroaded by the game for what felt like 10-12 hours (it was certainly until after the first dungeon), Royal feels like it lets loose way earlier than that thankfully. That said, yeah, it is definitely a slow start narratively, though the game's great use of flashbacks as a framing device I think is the thing that alleviates that and keeps newcomers hooked, since it points at the slow buildup going somewhere big).

And yes, I agree with you on your spoiler, that was cool. As was
the moment you send the calling card to Kamoshida, and Life Will Change plays for the first time, that is just a jaw dropping moment of pure intense hype
Persona 4 is a pretty slow start too, but I think it works well, it gives you time to sink into the world of the game and gets shit setup for you.

I suspect that the people interested in a high performance handheld have (or will have) invested in a steam deck. it's becoming a very competitive space

that's not based on any data of course
There's more to a handheld then just high performance/power. The Steam Deck is an amazing machine, but it is still a PC in the end and things like games losing compatability due to updates, needing to be tweaked and optimized by the user to be playable, and other things means the system is at odds with the pick-up-and-play nature of portables. The Switch on the other hand, due to Nintendo's history in handhelds, was built with this in mind which makes it more accessible to the mainstream audience. This will surely carry on with its successor whenever it is released.

So apparently in handheld mode, it's very stable, UI, cutscenes and in-game cutscenes are native resolution. If that's the case, I'm fine with sub native resolution especially if it's better than SMTV and I was fine with that.

I wonder if Dengeki PlayStation is still mentioned in the gallery... Shot in the dark, does anyone know?

FfWsB-LXkAAG0z-

Step up from the projector on the side of CVS in 2020 lmaooo

Putting that MS money to good use I see. I’m genuinely curious if Sega is taking the franchise multi-platform going forward.

Elden Ring earlier this year and P5 now. What a year.

I think some of them have, sure, but this doesn’t take into account: A) The fact that many of the enthusiasts who’d buy a steam deck are the type to buy more/other expensive gaming items too, B) The reaction that seeing something like BOTW2 or Metroid Prime remake looking gorgeous on a more powerful Switch would cause, especially among that enthusiast crowd, and finally C) If there’s good support/back compat/ graphical improvements then anything with the Nintendo and Switch name will sell well; or at least the amount of sales they wouldn’t get based on the number of people who instead bought a steam deck are very, very low IMO.
+ I want a high performance hybrid that can output better visuals to a TV when docked. Drake / Switch 2 is purpose built to do this with DLSS 2.

If I'm being honest if the Switch were a handheld only device from day 1 I wouldn't have bought it. I want the option to play on an external display.

Digital Foundry did a whole video on 'docking' with the Steam Deck. There are limitations affecting how quickly games can switch graphics settings and how the OS can switch resolution. And while global FSR for games is cool, FSR has its own limitations and doesn't have the benefit of offloading work to tensor cores (at least, FSR 2.0). Honestly I'd rather use it as a desktop machine with mouse and keyboard than a TV device.

It's a handheld PC and as a tinkerer and weird Linux user, I love it. But it's not a dedicated console that can received optimized ports written specifically for the hardware with a UX that can seamlessly switch modes. Switch 2 will be fine.

Heard from a few reviews that there are some odd low FPS animations in Persona 5 R Switch for example the effect around safe rooms. This is surely something that can be fixed in an update right? or is it due to some weird technical issue that cant be fixed?

So apparently in handheld mode, it's very stable, UI, cutscenes and in-game cutscenes are native resolution. If that's the case, I'm fine with sub native resolution especially if it's better than SMTV and I was fine with that.
Where are you hearing about the in-engine cutscenes? That would be really nice.

Cutscenes and UI are all native resolution.
That's fantastic. I knew about the UI, but I'm surprised this is the first mention I've seen of native cutscenes in the discussions here and on Era. Truthfully I haven't been diving into the text of the reviews themselves though. A nice surprise after thinking this wasn't the case! This means the anime cutscenes and in-engine being 1080p?

That's fantastic. I knew about the UI, but I'm surprised this is the first mention I've seen of native cutscenes in the discussions here and on Era. Truthfully I haven't been diving into the text of the reviews themselves though. A nice surprise after thinking this wasn't the case! This means the anime cutscenes and in-engine being 1080p?
Sorry I was referring only to the anime cutscenes, I am reasonably sure the in engine ones aren’t native res (they may run higher than the rest of the game, I wouldn’t really know, but I’m reasonably sure they’re not native resolution.

Anime cutscenes and UI definitely are!

Thank you. I’m on the fence. Not sure about it.
If you have Game Pass, no harm in trying it before committing!

Sorry I was referring only to the anime cutscenes, I am reasonably sure the in engine ones aren’t native res (they may run higher than the rest of the game, I wouldn’t really know, but I’m reasonably sure they’re not native resolution.

Anime cutscenes and UI definitely are!
Well that's still great news too, I appreciate you sharing! I'm glad those videos weren't compressed because I assume that could've been an easy and quick way to cut down on file size if they'd wanted to. And a hypothetical patch probably wouldn't have bothered to replace 720p videos lol.

While I have you I thought of one more question if you don't mind. In one of the videos I watched those four character portraits that appear at the beginning of an All-Out Attack looked a little soft - does that seem to be the case? I would hope those tiny images weren't lowered in quality if the videos weren't...but it looked that way to me after spending a ton of time with the game on PS4

Other than the fact that it takes around 5 hours to complete the “tutorial” section
While this is true, I personally was hooked pretty much from moment 1, even during the intro/tutorial. So it's entirely possible that'll happen to other people as well!

Not surprising, Switch is the true successor to Vita. There are just few third party Vita games left to get ports on Switch and just today we got another. (I still want Ragnarok Odyssey, though)
Careful you don’t let the Vita subreddit hear that. They’re not ready.

Not surprising, Switch is the true successor to Vita. There are just few third party Vita games left to get ports on Switch and just today we got another. (I still want Ragnarok Odyssey, though)
The day Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and Muramasa Rebirth are ported to the Switch is the day I finally retire my Vita. I would love to see the Dept Heaven ports come westward as well, but I made my peace that we'll never see them here.
Careful you don’t let the Vita subreddit hear that. They’re not ready.
Sooner or later they'll have to face reality; in my case reality hit me when Sony only mentioned the Vita in a montage during the systems first E3.

Curious question, is there a lot of animated cutscenes? I'm a sucker for unique cutscenes in games lol.

There's surprisingly not as many as you would expect from what I remember. Most of the game's story is told through dialogue where your characters are just standing/sitting around. There will be CG cutscenes after major events but you can go hours without seeing one.

There's surprisingly not as many as you would expect from what I remember. Most of the game's story is told through dialogue where your characters are just standing/sitting around. There will be CG cutscenes after major events but you can go hours without seeing one.
Just like Fire Emblem then lol.

Other than the fact that it takes around 5 hours to complete the “tutorial” section
Yeah but P5R's tutorial doesn't seem to rub people off the wrong way usually (I think the framing device helps greatly since it instantly sets the expectation that the slow build is leading to something).
Well that's still great news too, I appreciate you sharing! I'm glad those videos weren't compressed because I assume that could've been an easy and quick way to cut down on file size if they'd wanted to. And a hypothetical patch probably wouldn't have bothered to replace 720p videos lol.

While I have you I thought of one more question if you don't mind. In one of the videos I watched those four character portraits that appear at the beginning of an All-Out Attack looked a little soft - does that seem to be the case? I would hope those tiny images weren't lowered in quality if the videos weren't...but it looked that way to me after spending a ton of time with the game on PS4
The all out attack character portraits are definitely much softer than on PS4. This is only true in handheld mode though!

so i never preordered before but when does gamestop start fullfilling preorders cuz we're like 3 days from release and they arent showing the order being fullfilled

Yeah but P5R's tutorial doesn't seem to rub people off the wrong way usually (I think the framing device helps greatly since it instantly sets the expectation that the slow build is leading to something).

The all out attack character portraits are definitely much softer than on PS4. This is only true in handheld mode though!
So they retain their clarity in docked mode? How interesting…thanks for the discussion and answering some questions!!

so i never preordered before but when does gamestop start fullfilling preorders cuz we're like 3 days from release and they arent showing the order being fullfilled
I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon usually ships games out the day before and they still arrive on time.

The UI bit is actually huge news for me.
Yeah I am glad they prioritized the UI if they had to pick and choose, given how important it is to this game's aesthetic

So they retain their clarity in docked mode? How interesting…thanks for the discussion and answering some questions!!
They are still lower res than PS4 even docked, but the difference is much more negligible there. Like, yes, there's a difference, and if one were to try to notice it, they would, but the All Out portraits are reasonably close in fidelity between Switch docked and PS4 base, I think.

Handheld mode, the hit is much greater, on the other hand.

I tried skimming through the thread to see if this question was answered (apologies if it was). Does the switch version have any touch support? At least for conversations.

Does anyone have a screenshot of how the PS5 icon looks on the home menu/dashboard recently played bar thing?
It's the same as on Xbox Series (screenshot is from the Store, not the home menu, but the store uses the same icons as the home menu does. The screenshot includes the P5R PS4 listing for confirmation that the PS5 release is definitely using the new icon.

IMG_0448.jpg

Crazy to think that it’s been nearly 10 years since the English language release of P4G (I pre ordered it and it was my first Megami Tensei game) and we’re finally getting another portable main entry in less than 24 hours (in the US anyway)

It's the same as on Xbox Series (screenshot is from the Store, not the home menu, but the store uses the same icons as the home menu does. The screenshot includes the P5R PS4 listing for confirmation that the PS5 release is definitely using the new icon.

IMG_0448.jpg
Ah thanks. I wonder what Last of Us 2 shows in the store because on the home menu it’s just “TLOU2” on a black background. Whereas in your library view it’s the title with Ellie’s face. I just left my PS5, dang, I’ll have to check tomorrow.

Anyway I just brought that game up because I thought the same about the store but then there are odd ones that surprise me. Maybe the store doesn’t have Ellie’s face after all.

Regardless, assuming that’s true, they did us dirty on the Switch! That key art is so good. I know it doesn’t matter but damn I love this game I want that art on the home menu!

Ah thanks. I wonder what Last of Us 2 shows in the store because on the home menu it’s just “TLOU2” on a black background. Whereas in your library view it’s the title with Ellie’s face. I just left my PS5, dang, I’ll have to check tomorrow.

Anyway I just brought that game up because I thought the same about the store but then there are odd ones that surprise me. Maybe the store doesn’t have Ellie’s face after all.

Regardless, assuming that’s true, they did us dirty on the Switch! That key art is so good. I know it doesn’t matter but damn I love this game I want that art on the home menu!
I agree lol, I would have taken the key art over the PS4 icon any day!

Ok, so question, closest thing I’ve played to a SMT/Persona was Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE and Digimon Cybersleuth. I’ll be good starting with Persona 3P right?

I’ll be good starting with Persona 3P right?
Should be fine, just be aware that TMS #FE isn't a Mon game in the same way that Persona / OG SMT is. And the dungeons are a lot plainer since they rely on procedural generation for the layouts on most floors (it's not a rogue-like however).

Your other option would be to start with P5R (which is out now) but that may make going back to P3 harder since P5 really really polished a lot of the mechanics and systems in the current Persona trilogy.

Should be fine, just be aware that TMS #FE isn't a Mon game in the same way that Persona / OG SMT is. And the dungeons are a lot plainer since they rely on procedural generation for the layouts on most floors (it's not a rogue-like however).

Your other option would be to start with P5R (which is out now) but that may make going back to P3 harder since P5 really really polished a lot of the mechanics and systems in the current Persona trilogy.
I meant in a, I know those have similar systems and more recent so more polish so they won’t make P3P feel too dated, kind of way

I had gotten this at a GameStop a long time ago. I hope once things improve, I want to get this on switch. I loved it when I played it on my psp.

PXL_20221027_142901066.jpg

I had gotten this at a GameStop a long time ago. I hope once things improve, I want to get this on switch. I loved it when I played it on my psp.

PXL_20221027_142901066.jpg
During the time I was borrowing a cousins PS2 for Odin Sphere I bought copies of P3FES and P4 but never got around to playing them since I had to return the system not long after. P3P was my first foray into "modern" Persona games and I loved it. While P5R and P4G are more substantial I'm looking forward to picking P3P up as well.

During the time I was borrowing a cousins PS2 for Odin Sphere I bought copies of P3FES and P4 but never got around to playing them since I had to return the system not long after. P3P was my first foray into "modern" Persona games and I loved it. While P5R and P4G are more substantial I'm looking forward to picking P3P up as well.
Same, it was my introduction into persona and I hope my hand situation improves by then I can play it on switch after all this time. If I had to pick between 3 or 4 to get in January, 3 for sure.

That's fun, I didn't expect them to add anything to these ports. Pretty minor stuff, but nice to see.
I still wish they would've gone back through P3P and re-add the standard room navigation but I'm not going to say no to P3 on Switch so I'll take what I can get.

The Japanese prices are $20 each so Atlus isn't charging something absurd for these specific re-releases.
I'm wondering if we're going to see Asian physical releases for these. I would prefer a combo pack with both games on one cartridge but if they're likely charging $20 each that probably makes physical cost-prohibitive as they'd probably need a larger and more expensive cart to hold both games.

I'm wondering if we're going to see Asian physical releases for these. I would prefer a combo pack with both games on one cartridge but if they're likely charging $20 each that probably makes physical cost-prohibitive as they'd probably need a larger and more expensive cart to hold both games.

This thing is... I would pay $40 each for P3P and P4G physical versions for Switch.

I wouldn't dream of speaking for everyone though. I just know digital only feels bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom