• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which has to mean it's great for everyone, since I cannot fathom anyone in the world not liking Rise.
You found him, lol. She’d be my least favorite character in the game except that Teddie and Yosuke exist, and she’s nowhere near that bad. She just rubs me the wrong way. I, uhhh… braces for impact… I like Marie more than her

You found him, lol. She’d be my least favorite character in the game except that Teddie and Yosuke exist, and she’s nowhere near that bad. She just rubs me the wrong way. I, uhhh… braces for impact… I like Marie more than her
Nope. Sorry, as of now, you are non existent

Liking Marie more is harsh

Nope. Sorry, as of now, you are non existent

Liking Marie more is harsh
I never really got why Marie is disliked so much. I found her terrible poetry and entire schtick to be pretty enjoyable. I’m not saying she’s an amazing character or anything, but I did like her.

t… I like Marie more than her
despairiounge-cat.gif

My memory may be fuzzy, since it’s been a while since I’ve played the game. It’s entirely possible Marie is worse than I remembered and I’m being too harsh on Rise, I admit!
I'm not a fan of either of the two and find them to be similarly middling; Chie, Naoto + Kanji 4 life!

I think @9-Volt might have a strong opinion on that 😜
I don't even need my personal opinions on that, the truth speaks for itself. Rise literally got a game where she has the starring role (Dancing All Night). And she was the canon romance in the Persona 4 vanilla manga (Yukiko was the one in Golden adaptation and she literally is the second best character)

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EXCEPT FOR IN HIDDEN TAGS, THANK YOU I LOVE YOU

Currently at #24 on Amazon's best sellers list for Switch. It will be interesting to see how well this does after all these years of waiting.
it actually topped Amazon's video game bestsellers chart for a few days some weeks ago. I think the Switch and Steam ports are going to do very very very well.

it actually topped Amazon's video game bestsellers chart for a few days some weeks ago. I think the Switch and Steam ports are going to do very very very well.

Yeah, I think it will do at least fine ultimately. I just expected to be a little higher this close to release. For comparison, Sparks of Hopes is at #10. Now Sparks of Hope is a brand new title and it's a sequel to a 10 million seller so it has that advantage, but I thought Persona 5 would at least be in the mid teens.

Yeah, I think it will do at least fine ultimately. I just expected to be a little higher this close to release. For comparison, Sparks of Hopes is at #10. Now Sparks of Hope is a brand new title and it's a sequel to a 10 million seller so it has that advantage, but I thought Persona 5 would at least be in the mid teens.
Yeah, I think P5 on Switch would have done exceptionally well if it had launched in 2019-20, sales now will definitely not be as high as they could have been back then, but I still foresee it being very successful. I'd go as far as to say it will sell more on Switch than SMTV did, or that it will end up as the second or third bestselling version of the game overall.

Yeah, I think P5 on Switch would have done exceptionally well if it had launched in 2019-20, sales now will definitely not be as high as they could have been back then, but I still foresee it being very successful. I'd go as far as to say it will sell more on Switch than SMTV did, or that it will end up as the second or third bestselling version of the game overall.

Nier Automata is #16 and I think it was in the top 10 in the UK chart. So that bodes well for P5. I presume that Persona 5 was the more desired port based on internet discussion so I expect P5 to at least match Nier's success.

it's a pretty packed month, but out of a lot of games, only Nier can really say it matches its acclaim. Mario and Rabbids might not overlap much, and Bayonetta 3 is a the tail end of the month. while it's late, I can't see it not doing very well

P5R will probably do very well if the port is fantastic. I really hope the reviews are as glowing for this port as any release prior - performance is literally the only thing that could get in the way of that.

I really think we’re at the point where core audiences are especially sensitive to port performance, due to the age of the Switch and the rise of Steam Deck.

P5R will probably do very well if the port is fantastic. I really hope the reviews are as glowing for this port as any release prior - performance is literally the only thing that could get in the way of that.

I really think we’re at the point where core audiences are especially sensitive to port performance, due to the age of the Switch and the rise of Steam Deck.
I really really really don't think that the bulk of the Switch install base cares about performance enough for it to have any meaningful or appreciable impact on sales. If that was the case, games such as SMTV, Pokemon Legends, and Xenoblade 3 would have done far worse than they did, and multiplatform games such as NEO TWEWY or stuff like the last few Atelier games wouldn't have sold more on Switch than other systems either.

This is all a moot point, the port is good. Yes, it is sub native, and I am sure a big deal will be made about that, but that's the whole thing, the people who are making a big deal will not be the people who buy games on or for Switch.

Sub native is such a bummer honestly. After so many years of waiting for this port, I can’t believe it’s going to miss Drake by (likely) mere months and be forever stuck at sub native 🙃

Not confident in a patch from good old Atlus

I really really really don't think that the bulk of the Switch install base cares about performance enough for it to have any meaningful or appreciable impact on sales. If that was the case, games such as SMTV, Pokemon Legends, and Xenoblade 3 would have done far worse than they did, and multiplatform games such as NEO TWEWY or stuff like the last few Atelier games wouldn't have sold more on Switch than other systems either.

This is all a moot point, the port is good. Yes, it is sub native, and I am sure a big deal will be made about that, but that's the whole thing, the people who are making a big deal will not be the people who buy games on or for Switch.

The difference here is this is a 5+ year old port of a game originally built for PS3 (yes I know Royal is technically newer), and many of the purchases by now are going to be people double dipping - that's not the case for any of the new games you've listed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd have to have assumed plenty of the purchases will by like my own with Nier Automata, where I had beaten it a while ago and a high quality handheld port is what sold me. Anyway, as you said, moot point as the performance sounds like it's good enough in handheld.

I wonder if the P3P remaster will fix the Oracle issue where it never does what it says it’s going to

How dare you!

lol P4 waifu wars make me nostalgic for some reason.

NDA’s over, so here’s some handheld screenshots just so you guys can see what the game looks like in portable mode :

1535746-D-2-EE1-445-E-9-C0-E-DF892-D07-C08-E.jpg

5-A42-E7-E9-F4-B7-4-C97-9683-35624-ED15291.jpg

8-EE71-A6-B-84-FA-428-C-87-B6-0-CA4-F8-F9-FFCF.jpg

B9-E31-DA4-B4-B6-4-C60-AA04-098-B9-A4-BB7-B2.jpg

And this is a docked screenshot, very very close to the PS version imo :

AA162-C4-C-4-A4-A-42-BD-91-F2-B31-C1-B17-DA93.jpg

Everyone I read so far seems impressed/pleased that the ports have been good.

720p docked is pretty disappointing to me, considering it's a PS3 game at the end of the day and we've seen other PS3/360 and even PS4/XB1 ports do better. Figured it'd be at least 900p or something. Handheld resolution is at least okay

Thanks for posting... but I am shocked these look sub-native resolution. 😐
I think it's a bit subpar to the PS3 version in portable mode and a bit above in docked mode, based on these Digital Foundry images. As many Switch games, handheld screenshots look worse shared than they do in person, even though you can definitely notice that it's a bit muddier on portable mode.

Such a shame that it's not native resolution in handheld mode. Still excited for it but I won't be playing it anytime soon, still playing Nier Automata.

720p docked is pretty disappointing to me, considering it's a PS3 game at the end of the day and we've seen other PS3/360 and even PS4/XB1 ports do better. Figured it'd be at least 900p or something. Handheld resolution is at least okay
Yeah, I guess that my (and everyone's) disappointment, that even thought the UI is native(720/1080) the game its not. Some people might say maybe it was the porting house (Sega internal it seems), cause Catherine (same engine) outputs at 1080, but I don't remember who did that port.

I might get P5 on Switch later down the line, but goddamn. Tbh, P5 barely managing 720p docked when a more niche game like XC3 is able to look like that while hitting 1080p is kind of embarrassing. I really wish more devs porting to the Switch remembered temporal upscaling is a thing.

Yeah, I guess that my (and everyone's) disappointment, that even thought the UI is native(720/1080) the game its not. Some people might say maybe it was the porting house (Sega internal it seems), cause Catherine (same engine) outputs at 1080, but I don't remember who did that port.
Catherine port is made by Technical Arts

Nice it’s turning out to be a great port, I will buy it a bit later but I am tempted to game pass it. I will remain true and stick with the switch, even with owning a steam deck

"I’m honestly shocked it took this long for Persona 5 Royal to make its way to other platforms, especially Switch. The pickup and play structure of the game makes it perfect for the portable handheld and it runs very well too. If this is your first time playing Persona 5 Royal, the Switch version is a great way to experience this incredible journey."
Oh buddy.

It looks like folks that wanted P5R on the Switch so bad will finally get it, looks good.

Y'all enjoy (and I hope you're playing it portably more, that's the main draw no?)

I've played Bloodstained last year and it was alright. Was the initial release that bad?
Oh god yes, like I legitimately in my life have never once noticed or cared about "bad ports" or anything, but Bloodstained was fucking broken at launch. It's still really bad but at least it's kind of playable now?

Oh god yes, like I legitimately in my life have never once noticed or cared about "bad ports" or anything, but Bloodstained was fucking broken at launch. It's still really bad but at least it's kind of playable now?
Oh wow. Yeah, I dont know if they have patched it since I played it (early last year) and it is playable but feels sluggish, does not help that I played Dread that same year and it felt like jumping from PS3 to PS5 game lol

Oh wow. Yeah, I dont know if they have patched it since I played it (early last year) and it is playable but feels sluggish, does not help that I played Dread that same year and it felt like jumping from PS3 to PS5 game lol
To be fair, that could just be the game. Every Castlevania game I’ve played has felt sluggish compared to Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom