• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's smart, actually. It means the Persona fanbase will be bigger by the time they announce P6. Everyone will have time to catch up.

The anniversary was poorly structured though, but at least they clarified beforehand there would be no news at the concerts.

Hard to believe it’s less than two weeks away.
Maybe not the right place to ask, but what are the guidelines for when an ST should go up? I have the P5R one reserved, and I was wondering when the best time to post it might be

Maybe not the right place to ask, but what are the guidelines for when an ST should go up? I have the P5R one reserved, and I was wondering when the best time to post it might be
I have zero authority or experience in the subject of STs, but the NieR one went up at about 8PM EST, about 4 hours before the game launched.

I think this is them deciding they needed to at least say SOMETHING, since for ages people assumed that A) The final announcement of the anniversary event would be at the concert and B) It would be Persona 6. I also don't think I know a single person who thought we'd get to the end of this whole shebang and not get at least a tease of P6 ala the chair/red room/etc.

It's fine, really, especially if it's years away, I guess, but still. You're probably right, they're waiting until all the ports are out before talking about anything else coming up.
Honestly I was pretty pessimistic about a P6 tease/announcement. Seems much too early. Atlus' next big game is probably going to be Project Re fantasy and that's going to take up all the air in the room for quite a while considering it's by the former persona leads. I also think they are gonna want to continue the multimedia aspect of Persona 5 a bit longer.

Honestly I was pretty pessimistic about a P6 tease/announcement. Seems much too early. Atlus' next big game is probably going to be Project Re fantasy and that's going to take up all the air in the room for quite a while considering it's by the former persona leads. I also think they are gonna want to continue the multimedia aspect of Persona 5 a bit longer.
Too early? Persona 5 launched in Japan over six years ago now, doesn't seem like it'd be too early to at least give a tease of P6. And Persona 5 has already been multimedia'd to hell and back, it's in everything. I'm not sure what else they can really even do with it. Other than maybe a Persona 5 Arena, I suppose?

Too early? Persona 5 launched in Japan over six years ago now, doesn't seem like it'd be too early to at least give a tease of P6. And Persona 5 has already been multimedia'd to hell and back, it's in everything. I'm not sure what else they can really even do with it. Other than maybe a Persona 5 Arena, I suppose?
Never underestimate Atlus' ability to squeeze more blood from a stone.

Not sure about a Persona 5 arena. I'd imagine they wanted Arc system works to make it but they seem way too busy with their own projects and bigger licenses properties (Dragonball). Not sure who else would/could make it.

There was as 8 year gap between Persona 4 and 5. Game development has become ever harder and more time consuming since then and COVID certainly didn't help. I think P6 is gonna have to wait, especially with re fantasy likely being further along than it.

Not sure about a Persona 5 arena. I'd imagine they wanted Arc system works to make it but they seem way too busy with their own projects and bigger licenses properties (Dragonball). Not sure who else would/could make it.

There was as 8 year gap between Persona 4 and 5. Game development has become ever harder and more time consuming since then and COVID certainly didn't help. I think P6 is gonna have to wait, especially with re fantasy likely being further along than it.
That is true. I guess I'm just really eager to see what Atlus' next new game is at this point (after the Persona ports) since I was pretty let down by Soul Hackers 2, and they haven't announced anything else yet. I want to see something like a a new Etrian Odyssey, or SMTV follow up, or Persona 6, or anything more about Re Fantasy. I'll probably have to wait until January or so before they're ready to talk about anything though.

Considering Sega wants more live action adaptations of their stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if a TV show happened

That is true. I guess I'm just really eager to see what Atlus' next new game is at this point (after the Persona ports) since I was pretty let down by Soul Hackers 2, and they haven't announced anything else yet. I want to see something like a a new Etrian Odyssey, or SMTV follow up, or Persona 6, or anything more about Re Fantasy. I'll probably have to wait until January or so before they're ready to talk about anything though.
I wonder if they will do something for the SMT 30th cause that might give them time for Persona 6 or Re-Fantasy, as their next tentpole.

As for a new EO, since they helped out on SMTV (at least thats what the grapevines say) they should be back on the project that was tease in 2018. They also mentioned last year (Famitsu interview) that they want to give updates but at best next year, my guess at least.

Holy shit I would love Persona 5 Arena. Such a great roster.

So, ... I'm definitely not the only one seeing some stutters here and there, going by the YT comment section.
It looks good at least, and seems to run stable like 95~99% of the time. But it's not perfect.

So, ... I'm definitely not the only one seeing some stutters here and there, going by the YT comment section.
It looks good at least, and seems to run stable like 95~99% of the time. But it's not perfect.
Maybe a day 1 patch will fix it? This guy got his game super early because Amazon shipped his copy like almost 2 weeks ago lol.

There’s a definite micro stutter that I noticed a couple times. It probably wouldn’t matter to me in the slightest either way (we’d need framerate drops to be closer to SMTV or pre patch NTWEWY levels before they become disruptive to me) but I do hope they patch it out asap nonetheless (they probably won’t lol)

Guess it’s a good thing I can’t tell what the hell any of you are talking about when it comes to “micro stutters”

Guess it’s a good thing I can’t tell what the hell any of you are talking about when it comes to “micro stutters”
Seriously, I envy people that don't see stuff like this. I hate that I perceive even slight inconsistencies in framerates by eye. Great for someone who wants to be part of DF or the like, but I'd gladly do without, lol.

Seriously, I envy people that don't see stuff like this. I hate that I perceive even slight inconsistencies in framerates by eye. Great for someone who wants to be part of DF or the like, but I'd gladly do without, lol.
When you played enough PS1 and Dreamcast back in the day, framedrops of today won't bother you at all. I'm like, "this is supposed to be bad? Meh I've seen worse. I've LIVED with the worse."

Maybe because I grew up on N64 and PS1, but "microstutters" certainly do not influence my purchase (or enjoyment) of a game

1665513335813.png

Crazy to finally see the Switch version of the battle menu.

Maybe because I grew up on N64 and PS1, but "microstutters" certainly do not influence my purchase (or enjoyment) of a game
Seriously, the PS Vita version of P4G smears across the screen and didn’t run in native resolution. If that didn’t affect my enjoyment, I don’t see a whole lot changing my mind about the Switch version of Royal.

When you played enough PS1 and Dreamcast back in the day, framedrops of today won't bother you at all.
Never had or used the latter, while only rarely using the former. Can't say I've gotten used to that stuff at all. Most handheld games I ever played ran well, at least in my memory, haha.

Does that portable mode video look like it's running at sub-native resolution to anybody else? I can't tell if it actually is, or if it's just the recording since the Switch itself also looks soft and the lighting isn't great.

I can forgive framerate issues in this game to have it on a handheld, but it's also coming to Game Pass and that will allow me to play on PC + mobile with the same save. I've already restarted this game too many times, so I need to get it right this time and actually finish it.

Hopefully we'll get some more footage soon.

When you played enough PS1 and Dreamcast back in the day, framedrops of today won't bother you at all. I'm like, "this is supposed to be bad? Meh I've seen worse. I've LIVED with the worse."
Mega Man 2 and 3 trained me to use frame rate drops to my advantage 😂

Does that portable mode video look like it's running at sub-native resolution to anybody else? I can't tell if it actually is, or if it's just the recording since the Switch itself also looks soft and the lighting isn't great.

I can forgive framerate issues in this game to have it on a handheld, but it's also coming to Game Pass and that will allow me to play on PC + mobile with the same save. I've already restarted this game too many times, so I need to get it right this time and actually finish it.

Hopefully we'll get some more footage soon.
No suspend mode for mobile streaming would be a huge dealbreaker for me personally.

I mean I don't give a shit about those micro stutters lol. I just noticed them, but like I said, they mean nothing to me.

I said this earlier (not sure if it was this thread), but expect P5R on Switch to be equivalent to P4G on Vita.

In both cases, we are talking about an enhanced version of a game originally built for a last gen machine that the portable they are coming to is a fair bit more capable than. In both cases, we will see compromises nonetheless (we did in P4G's case), because Atlus are amazing as game designers, but their technical chops aren't really all that great (god, look at SH2).

So yes, the Switch version of P5R will probably be sub native, but like with P4G, it won't matter.

digital foundry brain sounds like hell. gonna be gaming at 8k 120fps and still not happy with anything.

digital foundry brain sounds like hell. gonna be gaming at 8k 120fps and still not happy with anything.

big difference between “DF brain” and just asking for locked/smooth 30-60 fps, and 1080p.

my wife has called out visual issues with Switch games and she doesn’t know what DF is. It’s just being accustomed to PS4 Pro, PC, and Series X content, as well as 4K films.

big difference between “DF brain” and just asking for locked/smooth 30-60 fps, and 1080p.

my wife has called out visual issues with Switch games and she doesn’t know what DF is. It’s just being accustomed to PS4 Pro, PC, and Series X content, as well as 4K films.
sounds like she caught the digital foundry brain bug

Nah, resolution really doesn't bother me too much; heck, I find Xenoblade 2 handheld to be still good looking, while others were screaming it was unplayable like that.
I also don't mind 30 or 60 fps, I actually prefer the former in some games. Makes them feel somewhat more ... cinematic? I guess. Weightier, even. Certain titles just feel weird at 60 or higher.

But I am indeed very sensitive when it comes to inconsistent framerates. That stuff bothers me on a DF like level, lol. Much like DF's John.
Give me a framepacing wise perfect 30 fps and I'm happy.

Time to make her play N64 and Dreamcast games on original hardware for a month to deprogram her

I nearly exclusively play on handhelds and always have. As long as the game "works" I usually don't think about performance hiccups. If that video had problems then I am too small-screen-brained to notice them.

I always feel left out when it comes to the "performance" side of gaming discourse because I will never come close to caring about it as much as some seem to.

I nearly exclusively play on handhelds and always have. As long as the game "works" I usually don't think about performance hiccups. If that video had problems then I am too small-screen-brained to notice them.

I always feel left out when it comes to the "performance" side of gaming discourse because I will never come close to caring about it as much as some seem to.
consolecels be seething over handheldchads

Someone shared this on Discord and it's hilarious, I feel it 😅

RDT_20221012_2037323574762382975403533.jpg

The "What the fuck" was what was hilarious to me, because yes this still feels unreal lol

Last edited:
So I'm actually curious why P5R is so loved and popular? Is it the story itself, decent plot twists or build up? I assume the characters themselves play a big part. Or is it the dating sim lol?

Also, I don't know why but for some reason I always get unintentionally spoiled on the final bosses for Persona games lol.

So I'm actually curious why P5R is so loved and popular? Is it the story itself, decent plot twists or build up? I assume the characters themselves play a big part. Or is it the dating sim lol?

Also, I don't know why but for some reason I always get unintentionally spoiled on the final bosses for Persona games lol.
For me Persona is mostly about the characters. The main cast and its writing are key to my enjoyment of the games. That's also exactly why I still prefer P4 and, to a lesser extent, P3 over P5, because I like the characters a lot more for the most part, while P5's left me feeling pretty cold overall with few exceptions/story beats.
The atmosphere plays a very big role as well. Gameplay is actually only secondary to me here.

I know P5 got a lot of love for especially improving on the latter, ironically.
Its OST and visual presentation were obviously also very beloved.

Last edited:
Quite excited with this. My physical version is coming soon :D. The distributor is now holding the release back because it was moved to Oct. 21 instead of Oct. 6.

All in all, what makes P5R a fine game is the overall package. It improves on several minor annoyances I have on the vanilla release.

What I personally really enjoy is the extremely slick presentation (menu’s, overall smooth experience is leagues above Persona 3 and 4), the fantastic music and the very enjoyable battle system. Plus fusing Persona’s is fun.

I generally like the cast overall, but I think the social links are pretty great in this game. In general I like them a lot. Some overly negative people will lament the fact “you have romancing options, egad!” and yeah, one in particular is so painfully cliche, but the stories themselves are really enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom