• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope all three of these do well, I'd love to see the PQ duo of games get ported. Feels weird that a new Etrian Odyssey-style game hasn't come out in quite a while to be honest.

Hope all three of these do well, I'd love to see the PQ duo of games get ported. Feels weird that a new Etrian Odyssey-style game hasn't come out in quite a while to be honest.
There's supposedly a new EO maybe in the works? Haven't heard anything about it yet, though. And Labyrinth of Galleria finally got a release date, for DRPGs, but that's not exactly quite like EO. I would love the PQ games too!

Looks like I'll be delaying my purchases of Fire Emblem Engage and Octopath Traveller 2 until I'm done with the Personas.

The wait for TotK will be a breeze.

Looks like I’m gonna have to postpone my playthrough of P3P, as FE will be my priority, but I’ll have lots to play until Zelda! (My backlog hates me)

It's bizarre to only see the Xbox consoles and Windows (= Windows App Store) being mentioned in the tweet's image directly. Does Microsoft have some kind of marketing deal with Atlus/Sega for these versions of the games?

It's bizarre to only see the Xbox consoles and Windows (= Windows App Store) being mentioned in the tweet's image directly. Does Microsoft have some kind of marketing deal with Atlus/Sega for these versions of the games?
Yup. Same reason why they keep uploading P5R trailers with only the Xbox logo even though it's coming to everything at the same time. It's kind of dumb.

Yup. Same reason why they keep uploading P5R trailers with only the Xbox logo even though it's coming to everything at the same time. It's kind of dumb.
It is. Especially given that, and I don't think that's a very controversial thing to say for these types of games, the Xbox/Windows Store versions more likely than not will be the ones selling the worst. I feel that pushing the hype for P5R on Switch and Steam especially would help them generate a lot more hype than it is like this, but I guess marketing money did its thing. *shrug*

All the persona games are day one on game pass. So Microsoft has the marketing deal. How it will sell on Xbox is beside the point, Sega/Altus got their check already.

oh shit the artwork

89f814bfb1676ff68dca0be13e617d7f.jpg

love it

OMG at this P3/P4 news...way sooner than I expected. Thought they would drag it out til summer. I'm hoping for a Japanese dual pack!

I'm definitely gonna go for another P4G run, after 3 on Vita. And my choice will still be the same: Risette. Any other girl is the wrong choice.

I hope these are not the only Atlus remasters for 2023. I want all PS2 atlus lineup on my Switch.

It is. Especially given that, and I don't think that's a very controversial thing to say for these types of games, the Xbox/Windows Store versions more likely than not will be the ones selling the worst. I feel that pushing the hype for P5R on Switch and Steam especially would help them generate a lot more hype than it is like this, but I guess marketing money did its thing. *shrug*

Atlus clearly needs that money after porting the games on everything

Wait, Switch is not mentioned in the image. Are Switch versions going to have their separate tweet/announcement? Or is implied in this one?

They still have plenty of time to give us a physical release of the two games. It should be common knowledge by now that people like to own beloved games in that format. The games have a small file size and they could do a bundle, selling at a reasonable price point of $40. Would even pay $60 for it, because that's how great Persona 4 Golden alone is.

Yeah this release date is perfect, I was hoping for January rather than February or later. Therefore I’ll have time to finish P4G before TOTK releases. If they didn’t announce it before Royal drops I might would have been tempted to grab that day 1 but I really want to play 4 before 5. 4 should have dropped for modern platforms way before 5 but oh well, the wait is finally over

So this was the final anniversary announcement. Release dates for ports that had already been announced in a previous anniversary announcement.

Can’t believe Atlus dedicated over a year to this nonsense. Happy to have Arena Ultimate and the modern Persona games widely available, but man was the anniversary celebration a bust.

Feels like Japanese companies are always fleecing Microsoft for marketing dollars and then the games sell a lot better on competing systems. I don't blame Microsoft for wanting to advertise Japanese games more on their systems but after all these years, people simply still don't see Xbox as the place to play Japanese games. Getting marketing deals for some games here and there isn't going to change that mindset.

So this was the final anniversary announcement. Release dates for ports that had already been announced in a previous anniversary announcement.

Can’t believe Atlus dedicated over a year to this nonsense. Happy to have Arena Ultimate and the modern Persona games widely available, but man was the anniversary celebration a bust.
Well personally they gave me exactly what I wanted. And I don’t think we’re getting P6 until at least 2024 so it’s probably better they didn’t announce it this early.

And I don’t think we’re getting P6 until at least 2024 so it’s probably better they didn’t announce it this early.
You’re more optimistic than I am. If P6 was 2024 I think they would’ve announced it as part of the 25th.

That's certainly a lot sooner than I thought, but I don't know how to feel about this being the last 25th anniversary announcement.

Well personally they gave me exactly what I wanted. And I don’t think we’re getting P6 until at least 2024 so it’s probably better they didn’t announce it this early.
2024 is possible if Atlus learnt to announce a release window when they are so far in development that it's safe to do so. 2024 would also be 8 years after the original Japanese of Persona 5, so more than enough time if you ask me.

2024 is possible if Atlus learnt to announce a release window when they are so far in development that it's safe to do so. 2024 would also be 8 years after the original Japanese of Persona 5, so more than enough time if you ask me.
They did it with Soul Hackers 2, but Soul Hackers 2 is a first in multiple aspects so let’s see if there’s a second, I guess.

At this point, Persona fandom expecting more from Atlus is on the fandom. Take the L and learn from the TWEWY fandom and stop taking the bait by getting your hopes up unless there's evidence to the contrary.

It's been almost 6 years since Project Re:Fantasy was announced and we still haven't seen any gameplay footage of it I believe. Between that and how P5 shook out I think Atlus/Sega aren't willing to announce things until they're closer to release like they did with Soul Hackers 2.

P6 is also going to be handled by a new team (since many of the key players moved over to Studio Zero) so there's going to be a ramp-up period and probably a new direction for the franchise. It's one of my most awaited releases simply because I want to see where they're going with it but I'm also patient and can wait until they're ready to show something.

Feels like Japanese companies are always fleecing Microsoft for marketing dollars and then the games sell a lot better on competing systems. I don't blame Microsoft for wanting to advertise Japanese games more on their systems but after all these years, people simply still don't see Xbox as the place to play Japanese games. Getting marketing deals for some games here and there isn't going to change that mindset.
I don't think there's any "fleecing" going on as it's a business arrangement between two entities. MS knows fully well what they're getting into at this point, and my guess is they're playing a long game to at least try and be competitive with Nintendo and Sony (to a lesser extent these days) in certain genres. And we're a long way from the PS3/360 era where cross-platform engines weren't as common and a rarity among the Japanese developers/publishers. So it's less risky for everyone involved to commit to having the game on MS systems even if the game doesn't sell as well as on other platforms.

Last edited:
Holy crap, P3P will be out the day before FE:E? Well, I guess it'll be waiting until a more calm spot in the schedule with FE, Labyrinth of Galleria, and Octopath 2 all within like a month. P3P would be good for around March-April in the leadup to TotK.

I'm guessing since P6 will be so far removed from P5 at this point it will be on a new engine (Unreal?) and should be another big shake up for the series (what with most of the new leads on P6 are probably going to be new, since the P5 leads went to Studio Zero to make Re Fantasy).

P5 original release feels like forever ago to me now lol.

I kept trying to warn people. Atlus announcements on their own are usually small stuff/non game related things. Anything major will be at a Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft event.

I kept trying to warn people. Atlus announcements on their own are usually small stuff/non game related things. Anything major will be at a Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft event.
Sure, but these anniversary announcements weren’t individual. They were linked to larger events sometimes.

Don’t think it was that big of a stretch to hope for a Sony Showcase + P6 announcement in October.

Sure, but these anniversary announcements weren’t individual. They were linked to larger events sometimes.

Don’t think it was that big of a stretch to hope for a Sony Showcase + P6 announcement in October.
P6 is a couple years out at least, probably too early to show it.

P6 is a couple years out at least, probably too early to show it.
Atlus announced P5 with a JPG of a chair, and SMTV nearly 5 years before release. Nothing is too early for them.

I’d love for them to start going with shorter marketing cycles, and Soul Hackers 2 is definitely another step in the right direction, but the lack of any P6 for the anniversary makes me think we’ll get a weak 2024 date that quickly gets pushed to 2025 and maybe even further.

Atlus announced P5 with a JPG of a chair, and SMTV nearly 5 years before release. Nothing is too early for them.

I’d love for them to start going with shorter marketing cycles, and Soul Hackers 2 is definitely another step in the right direction, but the lack of any P6 for the anniversary makes me think we’ll get a weak 2024 date that quickly gets pushed to 2025 and maybe even further.
Project re fantasy was announced in 2016 and we still have nothing for it. Persona 6 is likely after that so maybe 2025 or 2026 for p6.

Project re fantasy was announced in 2016 and we still have nothing for it. Persona 6 is likely after that so maybe 2025 or 2026 for p6.
I don't think Re:Fantasy is going to have much of an effect on P6's schedule, considering that they formed a separate team for working on that game.

I don't think Re:Fantasy is going to have much of an effect on P6's schedule, considering that they formed a separate team for working on that game.
It will in that they won't release it and Persona 6 (or SMT6 or Soul Hackers 3 or whatever other release is considered "tentpole") in the same year, even if they are completed around each other. One will be held back to let the other go first.

Looks like they use an agressive antialiasing or maybe the video capture is not very good
Can’t decide if I’d prefer that or no AA but with shimmering.

I’ll go option #3 - this long-awaited port waits a few more months so it doesn’t barely miss Drake and it can look as pristine as possible!

(To be clear, I know it still looks great and will 99.9% be a match for the PS4 version - this is one of my favorite games so I just want it to look perfect, even if the only difference is some aliasing lol)

There is no way I can play FE and Persona 5 simultaneously. Bye, Persona unless FE reviews badly.

I was expecting one of them to release around January or February next year, but not both at the same time. Can't wait to do replays on a non-Playstation handheld.
I don't blame MS for locking down marketing for these Persona releases. JRPGs (and Japanese games in general) have always been their weak area and with most big name JRPG franchises being either locked down (Final Fantasy), too old-school for their audience (Dragon Quest), or exclusive (Xenoblade) it makes sense to go after Persona.

According to personacentral, the flyers for the next Persona concert had a message from Wada.

There are so many things I would like to tell you, but I deeply apologise for not being able to do so on this occasion. I would like to share them with you at the right time, so please look forward to more information about the Persona series in the future.

Source: https://personacentral.com/psw2022-wada-message/

I hope the right time for news is next year, after the rerelease of P3 and P4 on modern platforms.

According to personacentral, the flyers for the next Persona concert had a message from Wada.

Source: https://personacentral.com/psw2022-wada-message/

I hope the right time for news is next year, after the rerelease of P3 and P4 on modern platforms.
I think this is them deciding they needed to at least say SOMETHING, since for ages people assumed that A) The final announcement of the anniversary event would be at the concert and B) It would be Persona 6. I also don't think I know a single person who thought we'd get to the end of this whole shebang and not get at least a tease of P6 ala the chair/red room/etc.

It's fine, really, especially if it's years away, I guess, but still. You're probably right, they're waiting until all the ports are out before talking about anything else coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom