• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the new 4K restoration of Oldboy in theaters, which was my first time watching it...😅
Hell of an experience to share with other people
I did Film Studies in British High School and one of the films we watched was Oldboy. Part of the foreign-language film section alongside La Haine, Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage.

Now, our classroom had a big projector/touchscreen which we used to watch the films on, complete with stereo speakers for sound. For most of the film's runtime, this was fine. Even if the class next to us could hear, they wouldn't hear much outside of muffled voices and a bit of music.

That was, until the sex scene started. Unsurprisingly, the teacher from the adjacent - packed - classroom came to see why she could suddenly hear very loud high-pitched sex sounds coming from the classroom.

Was an awkward few minutes after that ngl.

Last edited:
I watched The Northman.

It was pretty disappointing. Mostly the story and writing. Standard, rather boring story, but with a director with a unique and distinct style that added more to it in the end.

Tho I wish I watched in theaters. There’s a lot of nice shots in this film. However, that long take from the village raiding wasn’t particularly good in my opinion. Which was surprisingly, but just looked off.

I watched The Northman.

It was pretty disappointing. Mostly the story and writing. Standard, rather boring story, but with a director with a unique and distinct style that added more to it in the end.

Tho I wish I watched in theaters. There’s a lot of nice shots in this film. However, that long take from the village raiding wasn’t particularly good in my opinion. Which was surprisingly, but just looked off.
Easily Egger's worst movie, IMO. Not a surprise to be found, but solid performances and occasionally sumptuous cinematography. For me:

1. The Lighthouse
2. The Witch
3. The Northman

Easily Egger's worst movie, IMO.
tumblr_inline_pb1nvt3HHS1rrje9w_640.jpg

I’m still waiting for more opinions on it, I have ptsd from the last JSR spiritual successor. May wait for a sale either way
Seems like a lot of people really enjoy it, though, and it helps it's not just a pure JSR "spiritual successor", injecting some Tony Hawk scoring in there to vary up gameplay.

Yet another banger from Naganuma:

Seems like a lot of people really enjoy it, though, and it helps it's not just a pure JSR "spiritual successor", injecting some Tony Hawk scoring in there to vary up gameplay.

Yet another banger from Naganuma:

Eh that’s not a plus, I’m good with JSR rhythm but I suck at the fine control elements of THPS

I've been in a lull with my free time in recent days. Between TV and games, nothing is really hooking me right now. I've tried to get into Master Detective Archives: Rain Code on switch, but it hasn't really clicked yet. Elden Ring has been sitting on my shelf for at least 6 months, so I'm going to give it a try tonight.

I was really into the games I've completed this summer, like Trails into Reverie, Pikmin 4, and Tears of the Kingdom, so I guess I've been a bit spoiled. Lots of good stuff coming in the next few months as well.

Ahsoka premires in 2 days from now (August 22nd).

Anyone excited?
So I'm going to watch it, even though I just started season 3 of Clone Wars. I'm REALLY excited because watching her in Clone Wars has been lovely (and also sad because I know how it ends with Anakin). I love LOVE the character and can't wait to see how she's changed.

You know now that I am seriously considering this question, I don't even know how I'd actually reply.
I mean, I know how I'd reply but that's only because I've been saying the same damn thing since I first played XB in 2013 👀
and it's a very unpopular opinion, it seems

So I'm going to watch it, even though I just started season 3 of Clone Wars. I'm REALLY excited because watching her in Clone Wars has been lovely (and also sad because I know how it ends with Anakin). I love LOVE the character and can't wait to see how she's changed.
Hell yeah!

A fellow The Clone Wars fan!

Ahsoka premires in 2 days from now (August 22nd).

Anyone excited?
I used to be excited but with the whole strike going on and the terrible, terrible stuff the people in charge of basically every big hollywood studio have been saying (especially Bob Iger), I'm kind of not feeling it anymore :/

I used to be excited but with the whole strike going on and the terrible, terrible stuff the people in charge of basically every big hollywood studio have been saying (especially Bob Iger), I'm kind of not feeling it anymore :/
I've been covering the labor strikes that have been happening (and winning) since 2021, at least.

I getcha.

I mean, I know how I'd reply but that's only because I've been saying the same damn thing since I first played XB in 2013 👀
and it's a very unpopular opinion, it seems
My experience with Xenoblade combat:
  1. Play Xenoblade Chronicles for 70h
  2. "Alright, I'm over this type of combat."
  3. Play Xenoblade Chronicles X for 70h
  4. "Alright, I'm over this type of combat."
  5. Play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for 70h
  6. "Alright, I'm over this type of combat."
  7. Play Torna for 20h
  8. "Alright, I'm over this type of combat."
  9. Replay Xenoblade Chronicles
  10. "Alright, I'm over this type of combat."
  11. Replay Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  12. "Alright, I'm over this type of combat."
  13. Play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for ??h
  14. ???

I played a few more hours of FF16. The game is starting to open up. You get access to bigger environments where you can do some side quests. The quests are super basic and don't seem that rewarding but it's a nice change of pace from being shoved down the critical path at all times. The story is feeling more Final Fantasy-like as more of mystery begins to unravel. I do think the game tries too hard to justify that mature rating. Like I never expected to hear that sounds of people fucking in a Final Fantasy game. Combat is opening up a bit more although my issues still remain. Inputs don't seem as snappy and combos don't flow as well together as I would like. Most of the bigger fights are pretty repetitive where I'm basically just spamming the doge button and hitting the same abilities over and over again to stagger. But overall, my impressions of the game are improving.

I believe it was our friend Raccoon who once said

#fuckai
The worst part is that this is actually a decent implementation of AI. I know because we implemented with a customer. They have this big 100+ pages documents and it generates a quick recap based on the info (it doesn't use any public data). For the most part it works for whats intended and even tell the users what page to consult. The thing is looking at all of the examples shared on X, Fandom is fucking themselves because it's obviously crawling their web pages which are infested with so much ads (and probably bad code) it's integrating that info with the wiki information lol

The worst part is that this is actually a decent implementation of AI. I know because we implemented with a customer. They have this big 100+ pages documents and it generates a quick recap based on the info (it doesn't use any public data). For the most part it works for whats intended and even tell the users what page to consult. The thing is looking at all of the examples shared on X, Fandom is fucking themselves because it's obviously crawling their web pages which are infested with so much ads (and probably bad code) it's integrating that info with the wiki information lol
I think I get what you're saying but locking actual humans out of editing it is not really what I'd call a decent implementation. Isn't the whole point of a Wiki that it's fan-maintained? Saying "we're gonna AI this stuff together and then not let humans touch it" seems like some pretty bad planning or bad intentions or both. Especially during a time when "let's just fire most of the creative team and replace them with ChatGPT and Midjourney" is starting to be legitimate corporate strategy in some industries.

Fandom filling empty wikis with AI answers just makes the entire website unreliable. In the Hollow Knight example, the reason sections were empty was because the game wasn’t out. Filling what should be legitimate gaps with nonsense helps no one.

In tonight's episode of "Someone is gonna get sued", this is currently on sale on the eShop:
36d1196eef370dab43ae0bd2a70223d16a62ebfa517cf63a2953cfc2845f8d62

And the description outright mentions Knuckles the Echidna as a playable character. Like, at least fucking try, guys! Call him something else!

Last edited:
I think I get what you're saying but locking actual humans out of editing it is not really what I'd call a decent implementation. Isn't the whole point of a Wiki that it's fan-maintained? Saying "we're gonna AI this stuff together and then not let humans touch it" seems like some pretty bad planning or bad intentions or both. Especially during a time when "let's just fire most of the creative team and replace them with ChatGPT and Midjourney" is starting to be legitimate corporate strategy in some industries.
Oh totally, not excusing it considering as you mention it's a wiki, it should be user mantained, not allowing users to actually edit is another of fandoms fuck ups. They even removed it right now because of the backslash

If yout thought fandom was shitty, It's going to get worse now

Never imagined Team Cherry worked with Azure Lane to create the lore of Hornet

5GGQ2Z2.png

Source

q4FgfF0.png
Unfortunately it seems to be happening at a larger scale, everywhere. The other day my wife asked me a question while we were watching TV ; when I tried to Google it, the whole first page was filled with websites that were clearly AI-generated. The enshittification of the Internet has definitely begun.

In tonight's episode of "Someone is gonna get sued", this is currently on sale on the eShop:
36d1196eef370dab43ae0bd2a70223d16a62ebfa517cf63a2953cfc2845f8d62

And the description outright mentions Knuckles the Echidna as a playable character. Like, at least fucking try, guys! Call him something else!
The developer "sued???? you mean knuckles the echidna is a real character???"

Gotta love having internet tech issues at 8PM, contacting the telecom customer service, following their instructions to the letter, and now your lone source of online connection (a desktop tower with ethernet) won't connect online anymore either (which in turn disconnects from the agent you were talking with in the first place) 🙃🙃🙃

Seriously, computer could connect online with ethernet (it doesn't have a WiFi antenna), but my TV, Phone, Chromecast, and Switch can't connect to WiFi at all. Even weirder, I got the OLED dock specifically so I could plug in my Switch to the media port behind my TV, and it won't connect with a wired connection, either.

Gotta love having internet tech issues at 8PM, contacting the telecom customer service, following their instructions to the letter, and now your lone source of online connection (a desktop tower with ethernet) won't connect online anymore either (which in turn disconnects from the agent you were talking with in the first place) 🙃🙃🙃

Seriously, computer could connect online with ethernet (it doesn't have a WiFi antenna), but my TV, Phone, Chromecast, and Switch can't connect to WiFi at all. Even weirder, I got the OLED dock specifically so I could plug in my Switch to the media port behind my TV, and it won't connect with a wired connection, either.
more like internot amirite

...bitching out loud to the universe seems to have fixed it (and also restarting both modem and router multiple times).

Will bitching about the weird laggyness my wireless keyboard has also fix that strange issue? Let's find out!
Sometimes internet bitching works! Look what happened with Metroid Dread.

Holy hell is Vampire Survivors addicting. I have this build now that I just straight dominated this level to the point monsters couldn't even get passed the first inch of the screen before dying and I survived the entire 30 minutes. Good thing I'm not epileptic, the flashing lights are very bad.

went back to my pokemon white run and forgot i was about to fight n only to get hit with this banger

dance.gif

you only hear people talk about n's final battle theme but his normal battle theme is way better. those drums are sublime.

People internet bitched about it for fifteen years and then it came out
I think it came out because Samus Returns sold well enough to greenlight it, but hey who's counting

went back to my pokemon white run and forgot i was about to fight n only to get hit with this banger

dance.gif

you only hear people talk about n's final battle theme but his normal battle theme is way better. those drums are sublime.

Gen 5 has probably the best OST in the series between BW and BW2. A ridiculous amount of bangers. Honestly some of the best music in JRPGs in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom