• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They showed so much, even if I was barely interested in any of them. Definitely more than I was expecting, so why couldn't they have thrown in Prime HD, Bayonetta 3, and Advance Wars or Everybody Switch and called it a day???
Why do they need to? Those can easily be announced at a later date. Some of this stuff came out today or is coming very soon so they needed to get the announcement out there.

Is there a plan to open another Direct Speculation thread ASAP? Because I feel like with this being a partner it was odd to close it lol

anyways - tinfoil hat: the main Nintendo Direct hinges on a Switch Pro announcement that they weren’t ready to make and third party obligations forced their hand on this one. A lot of release dates here were close (even today lol), and contracts of course are contracts.

Not too shabby. I'm down for the Portal collection, Pac-Man World, am interested in the Battle Network collection since I never played them, and I'm figuring out how to plot the several hundredish hours it'll take me should I play Persona.

Also looking at NieR, and Mario + Rabbids indeed looks really nice. I'm still hemming on that last one because Ubisoft, but I say give it a week or two and it'll be 50% off!

Can we talk about Square Enix’s Atelier ?? Looks like GOTY contender to me

Why do they need to? Those can easily be announced at a later date. Some of this stuff came out today or is coming very soon so they needed to get the announcement out there.
Everything first party can “easily be announced at a later date.” That still doesn’t explain why they couldn’t bundle those announcements in this direct.

Heck, they don’t even announce too many brand new games in these things anyway. 2-3 is usually the most we get in terms of brand new first party announcements on directs.

And I’ll go out and say they don’t even need to announce anything new this year. But we still need updates for Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta.

Oooh I’m glad to see Treehouse (not Live) back for Live a Live. Here’s hoping we see it continue to trickle out with new releases!

So three and half years after Joker appears in Smash Bros. we’re finally getting his game on Switch. Shame it took so long but I’m glad they are actual ports and not some terrible cloud games, like the final smash fighter got… Yes, still salty about that.

If there is Direct in July it does not have to be a Mini with a First Party games, watch this to be "Nintendo Direct: First Party Showcase", will obviously not include 3rd party announcements since that was today, but also first party games are just too good to be thrown in a "Mini". When 3rd party releases are out of the way the can simple spend more time on first party games.

Now we never have to hear about Persona not being on Switch again! Also P4G was one of my dream ports.

So uh. Anybody else feels this Treehouse segment isn’t just for Live A Live. Feels like it’s mutiple games but spliced up due to no E3.

I could be wrong tho. Just a theory watching it for a bit. So maybe at the end of it they’ll prove me wrong.

Is there a plan to open another Direct Speculation thread ASAP? Because I feel like with this being a partner it was odd to close it lol

anyways - tinfoil hat: the main Nintendo Direct hinges on a Switch Pro announcement that they weren’t ready to make and third party obligations forced their hand on this one. A lot of release dates here were close (even today lol), and contracts of course are contracts.
I'd love to be hopeful for this but I'm personally leaning on the notion that Nintendo just didn't want to show off their first-party stuff now. A big Switch Pro event next month would be incredible, but I don't believe it. Or can't, probably lol.

I guess my overall gripe with a Partner Showcase isn't about the games that third parties or even Nintendo would show, but I just want to see more improvements on the service side of things.

I want to see the OS get more updates and features. Not to the point it feels bloated and takes forever to load like other consoles, but something as simple as static themes as opposed to just dark or light modes that are more colourful and add some aesthetic flair and personality. NSO updates to know I didn't just waste $100 on the EP family plan like a roadmap for future retro games (not just N64, but also scheduled releases of games on NES, SNES and Sega Genesis). Regardless whether or not Netflix/Disney+/Prime is on a million and one other devices, Switch is still the largest mobile screen I have in front of me and I'd rather watch a show on a 6.2" 720p screen than a phone screen.

Hell, even some backend improvements where the eShop applet doesn't run at 12 frames per second would be greatly welcomed.

I feel like that's the only place it might actually get advertised is in a Direct, otherwise they won't even bother with so much as a press release when they don't even offer substantial patch notes and we have to rely on dataminers like OatmealDome to know what's actually happening.

I'm surprised that we didn't get a Bayonetta release date? Third party exclusive, like Monster Hunter: Rise, announced for this year but no release date. If it comes in the Fall direct is it pushed to early 2023?

I'm surprised that we didn't get a Bayonetta release date? Third party exclusive, like Monster Hunter: Rise, announced for this year but no release date. If it comes in the Fall direct is it pushed to early 2023?
It's not the same situation as MHR, Bayo 3 is fully paid and published by Nintendo, they'll probably show more of it in a direct with first party games. And there are rumours of something in July, so let's not give up on it this year.

Next year I guess I will dedicate all my gaming time to playing Persona 3-5 just so I’ll be able to play Q/Q2 and understand what everyone is talking about. I’ll peg that about 400 hours of play time.

Bayonetta 3 is 1st party for Nintendo. MH:Rise wasn't even published by Nintendo like they do with other exclusives

late for the himbo / thembo / themmebo / femmebo discussion but I just wanted to say

~ bless ~

Last edited:
Partner Showcases last time were due to the pandemic yeah, but also due to Nintendo needing to honour promotional/marketing contracts with other publishers. My best bet is that the explanation is actually simple: without E3, Nintendo didn't feel it necessary to stick to the timetable E3 forces on publishers for promoting their games. However, other publishers, having paid for Direct promotion, still want Direct promotion in June. Partner Showcase is the compromise.

That being said, it's still confusing because it would be so easy to bump up what we got into a strong all-round Direct even without much new first-party stuff. Add on a Prime HD announcement for November; Bayonetta 3's release date; Advance Wars release date; Mario Kart DLC; N64 NSO; Splatoon 3 trailer... and suddenly that's a stuffed Direct without Nintendo themselves pulling out all the stops.

Again, I can't help but wonder how much their E3 plans hinged on Zelda; perhaps Zelda would be the big showfloor and Treehouse experience? Maybe they now want to use the summer to promote everything else, because once they start talking Zelda, that's going to command a huge amount of attention? Something something can't something something overshadow.

So the Treehouse was prerecorded, huh? Now I'm falling dowm the rabbit hole in thinking that Nintendo will start releasing trailers followed by Treehouse Lives for specific games throughout the summer (Metroid Prime HD, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3).

Nintendo treats Bayo as first party

Live A Live Treehouse was definitely recorded beforehand, so there may be other games pre-recorded that they'll show at a later date.

More fodder for July tweets / showcase Directs.

I'm devastated by GoldenEye still being MIA.
Annoying when so many things have either leaked (Goldeneye, FF9 Remake, Tactics Ogre) or are available on mobile but should come to console (FF Pixel Remasters, Fantasian) and still don't show up. I put on my clown makeup every Direct these days and say "PIXEL REMASTERS AND FANTASIAN YEAH" and nothing happens. fml

I genuinely wanna spam threads with chaos language lyrics from the Automata soundtrack.

Not gonna, but I wanna

Wow, Dragon Quest Treasures seems to be a Switch exclusive.
But DQ12 is for big boys and girls so it'll be PS5 exclusive.

unnecessary /s
I'm devastated by GoldenEye still being MIA.
It's gotta be the Russia war.

Didn't have a chance to watch the PD yet, but native Nier Automata on Switch is sweet.

It has anniversary in August, everyone expecting it to drop then.
Yeah at a certain point they'll have to decide whether the possibly bad press about it taking place in Russia and all that is worth delaying the planned release. Delaying the reveal is easy enough I guess.

Very nice showcase. Most of these games are gonna be 2023 for me as I'm dedicating the rest of the year to FF14/Splatoon 3. Can't wait for P3/P4/P5.

Now that this is over, where the hell is Etrian Odyssey?

Does anyone know if Niger’s physical is exclusive to the Square Enix store or will be available elsewhere and do they charge right away or when it’s closer to release day?

I'm devastated by Tactics Ogre being MIA.

Yeah, I guess that's going to be a separate announcement later this year.

Annoying when so many things have either leaked (Goldeneye, FF9 Remake, Tactics Ogre) or are available on mobile but should come to console (FF Pixel Remasters, Fantasian) and still don't show up. I put on my clown makeup every Direct these days and say "PIXEL REMASTERS AND FANTASIAN YEAH" and nothing happens. fml

The downside of being so tuned in with rumours and leaks. 🙃

It's gotta be the Russia war.

Yeah, I think so too. Doesn't make it any easier though!

To say the Switch is stacked for the rest of 2022 is an understatement, Jesus Christ. I almost feel bad for the other platforms.

Live A Live Treehouse was definitely recorded beforehand, so there may be other games pre-recorded that they'll show at a later date.

More fodder for July tweets / showcase Directs.
Yeah. Nintendo seems to just be chopping up all the stuff they previously recorded and using how they want.

Can’t wait to play Persona 5 Royal on handheld. That and the Mega Man collections.

Also props to @mazi for being the thread making MVP

Partner Showcases last time were due to the pandemic yeah, but also due to Nintendo needing to honour promotional/marketing contracts with other publishers. My best bet is that the explanation is actually simple: without E3, Nintendo didn't feel it necessary to stick to the timetable E3 forces on publishers for promoting their games. However, other publishers, having paid for Direct promotion, still want Direct promotion in June. Partner Showcase is the compromise.

That being said, it's still confusing because it would be so easy to bump up what we got into a strong all-round Direct even without much new first-party stuff. Add on a Prime HD announcement for November; Bayonetta 3's release date; Advance Wars release date; Mario Kart DLC; N64 NSO; Splatoon 3 trailer... and suddenly that's a stuffed Direct without Nintendo themselves pulling out all the stops.

Again, I can't help but wonder how much their E3 plans hinged on Zelda; perhaps Zelda would be the big showfloor and Treehouse experience? Maybe they now want to use the summer to promote everything else, because once they start talking Zelda, that's going to command a huge amount of attention? Something something can't something something overshadow.
Interesting theory. Nintendo announced Zelda was delayed March 29 and E3 was “officially” canceled April 1. If they knew ahead of time E3 was canceled they probably decided to announce the game was delayed right then and there.

If E3 had happened maybe they date the game for 2023 and apologize for needing more time. But the game gets its big showcase/blowout at e3 along with other announcements.

Either way I’m just as baffled as you are as to why they couldn’t just have a regular direct. Even with zero new game announcements there’s a ton of stuff that needs updates that are slotted for release this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom