• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's either watching Star Wars, Stranger Things, or playing video games, right?
(I myself got several hours of video gaming in today, kinda surprised myself)
I took a break from being emotionally wrecked by Stranger Things to get emotionally wrecked by the Owl House season 2 finale. No I'm not crying I'm just sweating from my eyes.

How is it going?
Pretty well!
I just beat Hook for the second time (in the Aerie), and even though I sorta know the lore because I looked up a lot after Automata, the game is making me ask a lot of questions about what's going on and why these things are happening this way. Which is great!

I'm also probably enjoying it a lot due to, apparently, the battle system being revamped for the remaster? It feels like just a slightly clunkier version of Automata, while I've heard it was initially way inferior. So the gameplay is actually pretty nice and comfy to jump right into after Automata.

One thing that's tripping me out about it: as far as I know this is the last remnants of actual living humans before they died off between this game and Automata, yeah? If so, why does this civilization seem to be in a roughly medieval-style state that doesn't recall the civilization that came before? Like, I understand that in Automata the androids would be so far separated from human civilization, but if Replicant takes place during the last breath of the old world, wouldn't it still be the old world? I get that the Black Scrawl has changed things because it is slowly wiping humanity out but what happened to make the remnants into essentially a whole other civilization?

I'm assuming that'll be answered as the story progresses, that's just the biggest thing on my mind now. That and the fact that a lot of the music was carried over to Automata in varying ways, which is neat.

OH!! And going backwards (Automata and then Replicant) was weird as hell when I realized the pods (which made sense to me in the context of that game world) were actually there to serve the same gameplay function as Grimoire Weiss. 🤣 It's so neat to see how they took some of the fantasy elements of Replicant and reworked them into sci-fi elements for Automata, but in, like, reverse-realization.

I imagine there'll be a lot more goofy aha moments like this for me as the game progresses. I'm at the 11 hour mark and howlongtobeat says the first playthrough takes 19 hours but I only just barely teamed up with Kainé so I don't think I'm halfway through Route A already. I must be meandering a lot. We'll see.
Unless of course you meant "how's it going" in the general greeting sense, in which case.. uh.. sup! 🙋

Will you be partaking in any Drakengard?
Not too sure. I don't think I will. Only reason I'm playing Replicant is because I became so engrossed in Automata's world, but afaik Drakengard is a whole different thing with only one tangential connection to Nier. 🤷‍♂️
Plus I still haven't touched Kirby or Chrono Cross and Xenoblade is coming like a freight train so I gotta hurry it up. 🤣

I was driving for 9 hours but am back now to see out this ST until the June one comes along.
Okay this is incredibly weird and is a testament to how old and meme-drenched my brain is but my first reaction to this was "the prodigal son returns" just because that's a phrase but then that made my mind almost immediately go to this particular YTMND meme character called Dr. L337 because of one video he did where he put himself into the "Superman Returns" trailer and renamed it "Dr. L337 Returns" and I can't believe I'm thinking about that in two thousand twenty fuckin two

I took a break from being emotionally wrecked by Stranger Things to get emotionally wrecked by the Owl House season 2 finale. No I'm not crying I'm just sweating from my eyes.
Because of Netflix plopping the last two episodes in July, I'm actually gonna hold off on being emotionally wrecked by Stranger Things. I'll be behind the curve, but meh. Not like I have a watercooler to hang out at or anything. And The Owl House is on my watchlist, thanks to this forum. 👍

Also I'm getting to the part of the year where it's 80 degrees at night so "sweating from my eyes" actually sounds like a normal, possible thing to me right about now.

Last edited:
Pretty well!
I just beat Hook for the second time (in the Aerie), and even though I sorta know the lore because I looked up a lot after Automata, the game is making me ask a lot of questions about what's going on and why these things are happening this way. Which is great!

I'm also probably enjoying it a lot due to, apparently, the battle system being revamped for the remaster? It feels like just a slightly clunkier version of Automata, while I've heard it was initially way inferior. So the gameplay is actually pretty nice and comfy to jump right into after Automata.

One thing that's tripping me out about it: as far as I know this is the last remnants of actual living humans before they died off between this game and Automata, yeah? If so, why does this civilization seem to be in a roughly medieval-style state that doesn't recall the civilization that came before? Like, I understand that in Automata the androids would be so far separated from human civilization, but if Replicant takes place during the last breath of the old world, wouldn't it still be the old world? I get that the Black Scrawl has changed things because it is slowly wiping humanity out but what happened to make the remnants into essentially a whole other civilization?

I'm assuming that'll be answered as the story progresses, that's just the biggest thing on my mind now. That and the fact that a lot of the music was carried over to Automata in varying ways, which is neat.

OH!! And going backwards (Automata and then Replicant) was weird as hell when I realized the pods (which made sense to me in the context of that game world) were actually there to serve the same gameplay function as Grimoire Weiss. 🤣 It's so neat to see how they took some of the fantasy elements of Replicant and reworked them into sci-fi elements for Automata, but in, like, reverse-realization.

I imagine there'll be a lot more goofy aha moments like this for me as the game progresses. I'm at the 11 hour mark and howlongtobeat says the first playthrough takes 19 hours but I only just barely teamed up with Kainé so I don't think I'm halfway through Route A already. I must be meandering a lot. We'll see.
Unless of course you meant "how's it going" in the general greeting sense, in which case.. uh.. sup! 🙋

Not too sure. I don't think I will. Only reason I'm playing Replicant is because I became so engrossed in Automata's world, but afaik Drakengard is a whole different thing with only one tangential connection to Nier. 🤷‍♂️
Plus I still haven't touched Kirby or Chrono Cross and Xenoblade is coming like a freight train so I gotta hurry it up. 🤣

Okay this is incredibly weird and is a testament to how old and meme-drenched my brain is but my first reaction to this was "the prodigal son returns" just because that's a phrase but then that made my mind almost immediately go to this particular YTMND meme character called Dr. L337 because of one video he did where he put himself into the "Superman Returns" trailer and renamed it "Dr. L337 Returns" and I can't believe I'm thinking about that in two thousand twenty fuckin two

Because of Netflix plopping the last two episodes in July, I'm actually gonna hold off on being emotionally wrecked by Stranger Things. I'll be behind the curve, but meh. Not like I have a watercooler to hang out at or anything. And The Owl House is on my watchlist, thanks to this forum. 👍

Also I'm getting to the part of the year where it's 80 degrees at night so "sweating from my eyes" actually sounds like a normal, possible thing to me right about now.
It's been hot here lately, but thankfully even if we hit ~95 during the day it still cools down to ~65 at night.

I blew my mind as a kid when I first learned that in a lot of places, the difference between the high temperature and the low temperature is usually a lot less than 30 degrees.

It's been hot here lately, but thankfully even if we hit ~95 during the day it still cools down to ~65 at night.

I blew my mind as a kid when I first learned that in a lot of places, the difference between the high temperature and the low temperature is usually a lot less than 30 degrees.
That's good. It'll cool down that far here but it'll take till like 2am to do so, so the nights are still functionally gross. By July though, it'll be overnight lows in the high 70s to low 80s. I joined this community in October so yall have yet to really hear me complain. 🤣

But while I hate the heat, I get photos from my friends in Sask during the winter and I see what the trade-off can be and I count my blessings.
My damp, sweaty blessings. LOL

I have arrived safely home to the loving arms of my boyfriends. But emotional news was waiting for me too.

Last Saturday we started taking care of a newborn kitten that was abandoned by its mother on our neighbor's porch. He was so tiny and adorable, and we tried so hard to take care of him. But on Wednesday he passed away in his sleep. My boyfriends didn't tell me because they didn't want to ruin my trip. Which I do appreciate. But when I got home and couldn't find him they told me and we all started crying.

It's bath time right now, then a shower and then bed. What a day.

I have arrived safely home to the loving arms of my boyfriends. But emotional news was waiting for me too.

Last Saturday we started taking care of a newborn kitten that was abandoned by its mother on our neighbor's porch. He was so tiny and adorable, and we tried so hard to take care of him. But on Wednesday he passed away in his sleep. My boyfriends didn't tell me because they didn't want to ruin my trip. Which I do appreciate. But when I got home and couldn't find him they told me and we all started crying.

So sorry for you guys. It was a very nice gesture of you to taking care of him.

sad yeah

I resubscribed yesterday so this was to be expected :]

Also, I finally found the first good boss fight in the Metroid Prime series after playing through one and a half game. The boost ball guardian in prime 2. Great fight, it wasn't as easy as the others and involved some thinking. Really nice, as the games' biggest flaws are the boring and/or easy boss fights

I resubscribed yesterday so this was to be expected :]

Also, I finally found the first good boss fight in the Metroid Prime series after playing through one and a half game. The boost ball guardian in prime 2. Great fight, it wasn't as easy as the others and involved some thinking. Really nice, as the games' biggest flaws are the boring and/or easy boss fights
prime has mediocre bosses. Echoes and corruption are much better in that regard.

In other news...

16 days left until its been 5 years since Nintendo E3 2017. More specifically, 5 years until MP4 was announced

Pretty well!

Good to hear. Yeah, I was asking about Nier. It's cool that you seem to read into the lore a lot, a lot of that stuff just flew over my head while playing both games. Wish I could answer your question.

And yeah, the gameplay is enjoyable, and has seen a significant revamp since the OG.

'Sup anyway!

Rather than finishing BD2 or 13 Sentinels, I have decided to replay KotOR, because I really want to.

What have I done?

Morning folks! I’m going back to work today finally, after what feels like an eternity of covid quarantine!

Don't know why people were complaining about the episodes being too long, went by way too quickly

I've never played Devil May Cry V, heck I've never even played a single game in the series, and yet I have Bury the Light on repeat at the moment

424dfb0adad6a27987dc1d7a322f05a5.jpg

I've never played Devil May Cry V, heck I've never even played a single game in the series, and yet I have Bury the Light on repeat at the moment

424dfb0adad6a27987dc1d7a322f05a5.jpg
MORE POWER

As for DMC, it’s a great series. I never played that weird DmC because eh that didn’t really did anything for me, but the other games are really good.

Yeah okay DMC 2 is painfully mediocre, but the original is a fun romp while somewhat old, DMC 3 is extremely playable and fun to this day, 4 is enjoyable and V is absolutely amazing. Such a joy to play.

Also bury the light has amazing memes

Ugh sucks to wake up on a quiet day with a splitting headache, don’t know if I want to take excedrin or not. Got one quick thing to deal with but otherwise it’s a free day. And I’m taking a break from physical projects so I was thinking I’d just game and watch some anime.

Maybe make Ideon’s head

HEY!!!! Good to see you again, dude!

And no, my copy of Chrono Cross only recently arrived and I was already in the middle of having the Nier series change my life when it did. 😅 I'll dig into it soon, though!

I really should get around to playing Nier at some point, but... Elden Ring. and Chrono Cross.

Hey reconceptualize, good to see you. No solid rumors yet, just the regular timing logic.

Hey,@bellydrum - appreciate the update (and good to be seen!). Hopefully we hear something soon since June 15th was last year's.

Finished the first two episodes of Obi-wan Kenobi. Now to binge Stranger Things this weekend. I have to say, this summer is fucking packed with entertainment.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Stranger Things
Knights of the Old Republic II
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Made in Abyss Season 2
Westworld Season 4
Ms. Marvel
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Andor
House of the Dragon
Splatoon 3
The Lord of the Rings - The Ring of Power

And this is just the stuff I'm personally interested in. If you're a fucking loser like myself, you got a ton of garbage to consume over the next few months.

Finished the first two episodes of Obi-wan Kenobi. Now to binge Stranger Things this weekend. I have to say, this summer is fucking packed with entertainment.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Stranger Things
Made in Abyss Season 2
Westworld Season 4
Ms. Marvel
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Andor
House of the Dragon
Splatoon 3

And this is just the stuff I'm personally interested in. If you're a fucking loser like myself, you got a ton of garbage to consume over the next few months.
you forgot she-hulk

or maybe you didnt. thats ok, i think it looks dreadful

Bob's Burgers movie was pretty heckin cute, I recommend it if you're a fan of the show. The visual gags hidden throughout are well done and the callbacks too

Didn't have as many characters show up that I would have thought would have featured, although granted I didn't realize until the end credits when Gayle, Edith and Harold, and Marshmallow were dancing and didn't have any speaking lines or appearances in the movie itself.

But Little King Trashmouth making an appearance made me squeal with joy

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Stranger Things
Made in Abyss Season 2
Westworld Season 4
Ms. Marvel
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Andor
House of the Dragon
Splatoon 3

I’m drowning in anime alone. Not to mention July having FEWTH, LAL, XBC3 and the new anime season

dang where is everybody this morning

Knee deep in GBG. So knee deep, in fact, that I almost forgot to eat and do chores. I've figured out how to make a character shoot arrows now!

It's funny, every other creative game I've played tend to run out of steam after the "novelty" wears off. Super Mario Maker being a good example. But GBG keeps on giving for me. The potential is so big, once you dig.

Top Gun: Maverick is fantastic. Caught it in IMAX and I'm already seeing it again on Monday in 4DX.

Besides that, I plan on playing Earthbound and Strikers tutorial this weekend, seeing the A24 film Men, enjoying a pool party and BBQ tomorrow, and starting a Tom Cruise movie binge

After having three stressful dreams back-to-back, I wake up to the morning for which I have IMAX tickets to Top Gun and for once I'm happier to be in the waking world than I was in the dream.
finding-nemo-today.gif

So this is about random but does anyone find it a bit annoying when you listen to a Nintendo podcast but then they talk about other consoles and games a lot of the time?
Like just say it’s a general podcast and talk about everything if you’re gonna do that. IGN are the worst with it they have four podcasts one for each platform and then a general gaming podcast for everything but still the Nintendo podcast is full of Nontendo games as they call them.
I guess it’s fine because the ign one is pretty bad anyway but I don’t get it at all

So this is about random but does anyone find it a bit annoying when you listen to a Nintendo podcast but then they talk about other consoles and games a lot of the time?
Like just say it’s a general podcast and talk about everything if you’re gonna do that. IGN are the worst with it they have four podcasts one for each platform and then a general gaming podcast for everything but still the Nintendo podcast is full of Nontendo games as they call them.
I guess it’s fine because the ign one is pretty bad anyway but I don’t get it at all
One of my biggest gripe with their Nintendo podcast is that, almost always, the panel goes into topics of yesteryears. Their current nintendo knowledge is hilariously low, defaulting in Mario/Zelda. I guarantee that an episode does not go by without mentioning Ocarina. Like they are still living in the past.

One of my biggest gripe with their Nintendo podcast is that, almost always, the panel goes into topics of yesteryears. Their current nintendo knowledge is hilariously low, defaulting in Mario/Zelda. I guarantee that an episode does not go by without mentioning Ocarina. Like they are still living in the past.
Ocarina is waaayy too mainstream. A Nintendo podcast should regularly portbeg for Chibi Robo and Wave Race or I wouldn't consider it legit.

One of my biggest gripe with their Nintendo podcast is that, almost always, the panel goes into topics of yesteryears. Their current nintendo knowledge is hilariously low. I guarantee that an episode does not go by without mentioning Ocarina. Like they are still living in the past.
I guess it depends. I do agree that there are certain guests that don’t know much about Nintendo (the worst was when the Philip guy was hosting. Knew nothing about current stuff, but he turned out to be a fraud so makes sense). I like Kat and Peer and feel they bring quite a bit of knowledge, but do agree they tend towards retro discussion a lot. I also agree with @Obsonet that they talk about other systems a little much, but that’s usually in the “what we are playing section”.

I played the demo for Strikers.

The thing that got my attention? The fact you have audio options. That is an area where nintendo has been so, so so lackluster.

More people would have enjoyed BOTW's soundtrack for example if they could actually hear it. Everything is drowned in a sea of noise. You can barely hear the Vah Ruta outside theme for example.

I hope that is a trend and we have more and move nintendo games that... y know... care about options. Looking at you Metroid Dread.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Stranger Things
Made in Abyss Season 2
Westworld Season 4
Ms. Marvel
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Andor
House of the Dragon
Splatoon 3

Yeah, I don't watch a huge amount of TV but the next few months having Obi Wan Kenobi, Andor, Stranger Things, and Rings of Power is exciting. I'm cautious on Rings of Power, and even more so with House of the Dragon, but I'll give them both a go.

As for videogames, the Summer Splurge is nearly on me. Sonic Origins, FEW Three Hopes, Sunbreak, Live Alive, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 all must buys for me, with KOTOR 2 and Two Point Campus possibilities as well. Splatoon 3 to cap it all off in September.

dang where is everybody this morning
Making breakfast and watching executioner’s way of life. Then probably watching Chiyufaru while finishing off Ideon’s head model till the pickup at my job arrives, open up things for that, close up then hopefully chill and play some video games

I guess it depends. I do agree that there are certain guests that don’t know much about Nintendo (the worst was when the Philip guy was hosting. Knew nothing about current stuff, but he turned out to be a fraud so makes sense). I like Kat and Peer and feel they bring quite a bit of knowledge, but do agree they tend towards retro discussion a lot. I also agree with @Obsonet that they talk about other systems a little much, but that’s usually in the “what we are playing section”.
Yeah I agree. Like Casey knows a lot about MH and Pokemon but she is no longer hosting. Maybe is because we focus that stuff here, but some of them aren't familiar with all of N teams.

The other systems thing I agree. Like outside of Strikers, dont expect them to talk about FE 3H or Xenoblade

i find most Nintendo based podcasts bad because of the episode format or i don't like 1 or all the hosts

I actually quite like Nintendo Voice Chat. I like most of the panel members and I enjoy their discussions. Like this week, they were talking about E3 and what it was like to attend, and I loved it.

I don't listen to a lot of Nintendo-only podcasts, just NVC and Grubb's Nintendogs show, but NVC is usually a show I'm looking forward to each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom