• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like, if Mario RPG does make it to NSO, that's a Direct announcement. Must be the last high profile first party title missing from SNES?

How many updates would that make it for 2022? They're actually being somewhat regular with this currently.
This would be the third update for both NES and SNES. The Earthbound games were in February and some other games like Earthworm Jim were in March.

Mega Drive/Genesis has gotten 2 updates and of course N64 has gotten 5.

How many updates would that make it for 2022? They're actually being somewhat regular with this currently.
NSO update schedule so far this year:
  • January:
    • N64: Banjo-Kazooie
  • February:
    • NES / SNES: EarthBound Beginnings, EarthBound
    • N64: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • March:
    • N64: F-Zero X
    • MD: Alien Soldier, Super Fantasy Zone, Light Crusader
    • NES / SNES: Dig Dug Ⅱ, Mappy Land, Harvest Moon (JP), Earthworm Jim 2 (INT)
  • April:
    • N64: Mario Golf
    • MD: Space Harrier Ⅱ, Shining Force Ⅱ, Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball
  • May:
    • N64: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    • NES / SNES: ???
NES and SNES are already a lot more frequent than they were last year, where they got three updates in February, May and July; then nothing for the rest of the year. Seems like the Expansion Pack consoles are there to fill in the gap months that just had nothing in 2020 and 2021.

I'm playing a game right now.

It's called "Walk Laps Around the Mall Multiple Times Because People You Don't Wanna See Are in the Place You Wanna Go Into and They Won't Fuckin Leave" and it's only available on the Super Anxiety Entertainment System!!

MH Rise Pro controller just died without the battery warning, then wouldn't charge from a USB plugged into the mains... thankfully now appears to be charging through the Dock. Eep.

I may have to buy that tasty looking Sunbreak controller...

I'm playing a game right now.

It's called "Walk Laps Around the Mall Multiple Times Because People You Don't Wanna See Are in the Place You Wanna Go Into and They Won't Fuckin Leave" and it's only available on the Super Anxiety Entertainment System!!
This is the most relatable shit I’ve ever seen

New NES / SNES NSO games tomorrow! Wonder what they'll add this time.

Curious to see what is, surprised we didn’t just get more genesis games this month. Considering it seems they negotiated more with third parties when launching expansion pack I could see some cool surprises

I hope they’re finally giving us Devil World, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Golf, Mach Rider, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Pinball, or Urban Champion. There is literally no good reason why any of those are missing from NSO!!

I took a nap today and dreamt that I turned my Switch on and resumed a playthrough of Super Mario RPG so it's obvious I was having a prophetic vision and it will be that and Urban Champion.
I feel like Square wants to do an HD-2D remake with that game.
Unless Team Asano has an interest in remaking it in HD-2D I doubt it since they are the only team working with that art style.

Mysterious Murasame Castle and StarTropics II for NES;

Wrecking Crew '98 and Aero the Acro-Bat for SNES;

That would be the dream.

Though at this point, giving how "protective" Nintendo is of Mario IP in third party hands, I wonder if a RPG remake would be tantamount to making a new game, anyway. Can't have too many Toads, Koopas and other Mario denizens made into OCs, after all!

Unless Team Asano has an interest in remaking it in HD-2D I doubt it since they are the only team working with that art style.
At the very least, I'd say it's always a lever they can pull if they want to do a game that would immediately get players standing up and paying attention. Dragon Quest 3 is one of those types of games, with Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG being two others I can think of that would immediately get eyes.

Still waiting for SNES Mouse games personally. Just one update with Mario Paint, Mario & Wario and Sound Fantasy; all you've gotta do Nintendo.

Nintendo is going to announce this gem for the service and laugh as the collector's market crumbles!!!

nintendo-world-championships-gold-nes-cartridge.jpg

Hope y’all are ready to wait another day for the Direct

My girlfriend and I just ordered and ate what we affectionately refer to as “late night goblin Subway” which is subway after 10 PM

Hope y’all are ready to wait another day for the Direct

My girlfriend and I just ordered and ate what we affectionately refer to as “late night goblin Subway” which is subway after 10 PM
I've said some shit about subway in my time but I absolutely need a subway gf in my life

There’s a subway restaurant here where I used to live that’s open 24hr.

Never seen one like that before. And it’s in a strange location for 24 HR. Have no clue but they must be busy for it to be like that.

I've heard this sentiment spread around a lot, but I don't really see it? Mario RPG uses prerendered 3D graphics. All of the HD-2D games use more traditional pixel art for their characters. I get the allure of "Square Enix wants to remake the game to make more cash from it than putting it on NSO," but I think it would be better to go for something that emulates the original style.

I'll accept nothing less than Tecmo Super Bowl and SMRPG for the updates. What are the NFL, NFLPA, and Square-Enix going to do about it? Sue?

One of the things that gets really boring about my condition is that, when it's been bad, I have to stick to the same bedtime routine almost every night for weeks and sometimes months.

Fingers crossed I gradually recover a bit so I can have late night goblin food, more than one beer, or stay up till the wee hours with a film or two.

NSO update schedule so far this year:
  • January:
    • N64: Banjo-Kazooie
  • February:
    • NES / SNES: EarthBound Beginnings, EarthBound
    • N64: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • March:
    • N64: F-Zero X
    • MD: Alien Soldier, Super Fantasy Zone, Light Crusader
    • NES / SNES: Dig Dug Ⅱ, Mappy Land, Harvest Moon (JP), Earthworm Jim 2 (INT)
  • April:
    • N64: Mario Golf
    • MD: Space Harrier Ⅱ, Shining Force Ⅱ, Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball
  • May:
    • N64: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    • NES / SNES: ???
NES and SNES are already a lot more frequent than they were last year, where they got three updates in February, May and July; then nothing for the rest of the year. Seems like the Expansion Pack consoles are there to fill in the gap months that just had nothing in 2020 and 2021.
Oh Lord imagine if they stop doing monthly N64 drops after Snap and just drop game(s) for one or two of the consoles on NSO each month:/

I can’t imagine eating Subway at any time other than lunch, and I especially can’t imagine enough people would for a 24 hour store to turn a profit.

I hope they’re finally giving us Devil World, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Golf, Mach Rider, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Pinball, or Urban Champion. There is literally no good reason why any of those are missing from NSO!!
Don’t forget startropics 2
Oh Lord imagine if they stop doing monthly N64 drops after Snap and just drop game(s) for one or two of the consoles on NSO each month:/
Doubtful. Otherwise why lineup the end of the current wave perfectly with their summer direct. Plus Japan still has 2 additional games confirmed

I've heard this sentiment spread around a lot, but I don't really see it? Mario RPG uses prerendered 3D graphics. All of the HD-2D games use more traditional pixel art for their characters. I get the allure of "Square Enix wants to remake the game to make more cash from it than putting it on NSO," but I think it would be better to go for something that emulates the original style.
It makes me wonder as for the most part they have been updating/porting their classic library where they can. I don't think they would bring over Super Mario RPG without doing some kind of enhanced version. I would think Nintendo would be fine with it, but Square wants that sweet money for their cloud themed monkeys.

It makes me wonder as for the most part they have been updating/porting their classic library where they can. I don't think they would bring over Super Mario RPG without doing some kind of enhanced version. I would think Nintendo would be fine with it, but Square wants that sweet money for their cloud themed monkeys.
Maybe a 3D remake would be in order? Keep the same camera angle, but have models for the characters and enemies. Could mean that Nintendo makes the Mario-specific stuff more on-brand, but I think it'd make sense.

Don’t forget startropics 2
I was only including games that have gotten both Japanese and overseas releases, since those would obviously be viable for NSO releases in all regions. While there’s certainly no reason why we can’t get StarTropics II on NSO outside of Japan, I could see the fact that it doesn’t have a Japanese release potentially holding it back or bumping it down in priority. Those other games that I listed, though, really have no excuse for not being on NSO at this point. They’re all first-party, 100% Nintendo-owned games that have all already been rereleased worldwide at least once before, and there are no obvious technical (like peripheral support) or business (like already having remakes on Switch, such as Famicom Detective Club) reasons for holding them back. Their absence is kind of bizarre, honestly, and I really hope we get at least most of them eventually.

I had a terribly fatty (but good) burger and a beer on a river while it was 75 out. Not much better than that.

I did weight training after so it’s all good.

Played some more Kirby 64 and the dev at HAL that decided to hide a crystal behind a wall that requires dynamite combo at the end of a level without the abilities that form dynamite is pure evil.

EDIT: that’s a very long sentence without any commas, hopefully it’s readable…

Played some more Kirby 64 and the dev at HAL that decided to hide a crystal behind a wall that requires dynamite combo at the end of a level without the abilities that form dynamite is pure evil.
Don’t forget it’s the most dangerous powerup too

I'm putting this in a spoiler just in case people don't need to see it right now, but jesus fucking christ

THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN THE COPS REFUSED TO GO IN?!?!

They still should re-do the characters as sprites and make it in HD-2D, even if it clashes with the art style of the original game. Those prerendered 3D SNES games kinda look like shit to be honest.

Yes, even Donkey Kong Country

I'm the bestman at my best friends wedding this weekend, and I'm struggling hard with my speach - it was never going to be a very long and super exciting one so that's not really the problem and I have my keypoints I want to talk about all decided.. but I just cant keep it together and make it a coherent speach.

I think I need to get drunk tonight, which is when I excel at this shit. At least in my head, everyone else probably thinks exactly the opposite ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom