• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if I dont really need more games to my backlog I've been actively trying to get Monster Hunter Stories 2 at a good price for qutie some time but it never drops in price here - I even figured maybe if I tried to trade for it with one of my already played games. I have like 80 retail games and the only games I would consider trading (despite never going to replay most of the games) was:

Metroid Dread (because I have 2 copies)
Crash Team Racing (A sealed copy which I'll likely never ever play)
Dragon Quest Builders (which I'm not sure if I will ever play or not)

Not sure why I'm still like this..

Even if I dont really need more games to my backlog I've been actively trying to get Monster Hunter Stories 2 at a good price for qutie some time but it never drops in price here - I even figured maybe if I tried to trade for it with one of my already played games. I have like 80 retail games and the only games I would consider trading (despite never going to replay most of the games) was:

Dragon Quest Builders is a great addictive experience, I think you should at least give it a try before selling.

Remember when Nintendo got criticized for not putting Samus in Fortnite?
Then Metroid Dread came out, and it turns out Metroid doesn’t need Fortnite to be popular again.

I feel like Nate's podcast is taking as long as it is because he's compiling every bit of info he can get his hands on, and verifying everything as much as possible to make the closest thing to a "Definitive" episode as he can.

And maybe he or MVG had just something else to do 🥳

Dragon quest builders is great and the story is definitely worth a playthrough

To be fair, from the comments this doesn't seem like an optimisation issue. That area isn't being rendered at all times - it renders there because they took the camera outside.

From's still not great with technical stuff, though - and I don't expect any of ER's technical issues to be fixed. Not after literally all their 8th gen games suffered from shit frame-pacing due to a single line of code being missing.
Idk what exactly is but the characters designs look weird to me it remembers me idk why to the early ps4 AC games (Black flag/Unity)
The game has the aesthetic of a mid-gen PS3 title with the graphics of an early PS4 title whilst running like a poorly-optimised PS5 game.

It's an anomaly lol

Elden Ring all done now. Great game. And just in time for MK and Kirby. I fancy Horizon though, so let’s see how I feel.

Good time to be a gamer. Lots to play.

Remember when Nintendo got criticized for not putting Samus in Fortnite?
Then Metroid Dread came out, and it turns out Metroid doesn’t need Fortnite to be popular again.
I think the motivation was more that people thought it would be cool, and didn't like that Nintendo kept being super restrictive while other companies played along

To be fair, from the comments this doesn't seem like an optimisation issue. That area isn't being rendered at all times - it renders there because they took the camera outside.
Found it funny that people were justifying it saying it's for avoiding transition screens during gameplay and speeding up loading on fast travel but the whole thing was just misleading

From a Digital Foundry video looks like the problem of the PC version is the opposite of having everything loaded, actually every time something you didn't see before shows up, there's a small stutter, so it gets better over time (on-the-fly shader compilation seems to be the issue)

Last edited:
Been quite a while since I have seen something where I just hate everything about it with Stranger of Paradise.

I don't know who was responsible for the script of SoP but they definitely deserve a raise because that stuff is gold. Like, completely unintentionally but still. Absolute gold

As a Sonic fan, I'm doing sooooo many double takes whenever the subject turns to Stranger of Paradise. 😅

Sonicchannel_chaos.png

What games "Invokes the feeling of BotW"? Now that Elden Ring is released, I've seen that phrase resurface every now and then. Wondering what game you would say hits closest to the same feeling of discovery that BotW invoked.
For me it was actually Skyrim. Played it for almost 200h on Switch, always discovering something new. No other open world game thus far had me feeling this sense of wonder like it and BotW did.

What games "Invokes the feeling of BotW"? Now that Elden Ring is released, I've seen that phrase resurface every now and then. Wondering what game you would say hits closest to the same feeling of discovery that BotW invoked.
It's Elden Ring without a doubt. The sense of discovery is truly nuts, I'd say it actually surpasses BOTW.

A Short Hike came to mind, there's lots of climbing and gliding and it's exploration-focused (you search for golden feathers that give you extra jumps and allow you to go to higher places)

Last edited:
Xenoblade X. It's the only game world I've ever had a dream take place in. The old pretentious cinema cliche of "it's almost like the setting was its own character!" really does apply to X. I did a second playthrough last year and found tons of locations I missed on the first. It's so vast, so diverse, and there is so much to discover.

Good god I want that game to get a sequel.

I am here to report that True Colors is one of the best looking game on Switch, especially in handheld. Resolution takes a beating in exterior at times but most of the time it's absolutely top tier.

Some good answers to my question! My personal answer is Red Dead 2, very different game from BotW, but for me at least, it invoked the same sense of awe and eagerness to explore.

Elden Ring is definitely the first game to give me those same discovery vibes BotW did—at first, but then I realized that all I was really finding were things to kill (or get killed by) or things to make me more efficient at killing other things, which is when the magic was lost.

Elden Ring as it very clearly wears its BotW influence on its sleeve. It's like if you removed the Zelda / environmental interactivity and physics stuff from BotW and replaced it with Souls stuff

The combat encounters and areas are more unique and stand out but, on the flip side, there's less variety in things to do, like no puzzles or mini-games or anything of that sort nor is traversal anything to write home about, just going around fighting things

It's very much Souls of the Wild in equal measure, for better or worse. If you like both of them, you'll love this game. If you only like one of them, it's still definitely worth checking out. I'm having a good time

Last edited:
I think Ive long reached the limit to which I’m impressed by graphics. Or rather not disappointed by them

Last few days been seeing how bad reception to Valkyrie Elysium and Diofield Graphics and I’m like “looks good”. And then Strangers of Paradise Graphically looks pretty good to me but looks mediocre to a lot of folks lol.

I think Ive long reached the limit to which I’m impressed by graphics. Or rather not disappointed by them

Last few days been seeing how bad reception to Valkyrie Elysium and Diofield Graphics and I’m like “looks good”. And then Strangers of Paradise Graphically looks pretty good to me but looks mediocre to a lot of folks lol.
This is exactly what I feel. Graphics are currently at a point for me that cannot get any better, but it can get more realistic. Do I care if a game is photo realistic or not? Absolutely not. In fact it's getting pretty creepy and irritating in some titles. Photo realism can effectively kill the charm that some series has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom