• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST31 Apr. 2024| Famicafรฉ Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
because the corporations in that country want to make their own billions, and have a shocking number of politicians in their pockets to shoot down any attempts at creating a public system.

hell even when we got "Obamacare," which half the government (and a large percentage of citizens) screamed would be something that'd skyrocket taxes and crumble the healthcare system, it ended up just being a government-subsidized system that was still required to operate through the services of the current insurance corporations, just at a slightly lower price to patients because the government was paying part of it.

also during the pandy the ex-CEO of one of the insurance corporations came clean saying that his and several other corps had been coordinating to spread misinformation about all nationalized healthcare systems to "train" the american people into believing it would be a far, far worse option than paying a ton of money to them for the bullshit care we do receive.

And it's worked, btw. I know a lot of people who genuinely believe that people in Canada, Australia, and Europe are all basically unable to see doctors, unable to get life-saving care, unable to schedule surgeries, and that they fly into the USA to receive healthcare. And when provided with evidence to the contrary they believe it's fabricated propaganda.

I'm not even exaggerating for humor or anything.

America is fucking dystopian.
the US propaganda about it is so effective that even a ton of Canadians believe it and rail against our own systems โ€” not for their actual meaningful flaws, but because they have a mythologized ideal of what American healthcare looks like

you break it down and half the time they are literally talking about how billionaires get treatment as though it applies to everyone, or just referring to xyz American tv show

I have been hospitalized in both countries and it is literally the same fucking nightmare, but one bills you into oblivion and the other gets paid by taxes

the doctors in Canada who skip out of the healthcare system for not being profitable usually do so at the same rate as the doctors Iโ€™ve lost in America who said Obamacare โ€œisnโ€™t why they got into healthcareโ€ and is โ€œagainst their beliefsโ€

iโ€™m dead fucking serious this isnโ€™t exaggeration

right now I get the โ€œbestโ€ of both worlds because Doug Ford has 100% leveraged the pandemic to undercut healthcare so much here โ€” in an attempt to finally force privatization โ€” and people are falling for it

if public healthcare dies in Ontario then Iโ€™m fucked. my wife and I are fucked. we can already barely afford to live, and left the US partially over healthcare, so. guess weโ€™ll die!

or play provincial musical chairs and try to guess which ones will get fucked first

How deep down that rabbit hole do you want to go? ๐Ÿ™ƒ Hell, you just need to scratch the surface to see how much is being sent to Israel, who is then able to provide free tuition and universal health care for their population. Funny how taxes do end up getting used for those services, just not in any meaningful way you can access them ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ
oh yeah for sure, it was more rhetorical tbh. i kinda wish we could choose what our taxes go towards, but the powers that be definitely donโ€™t want any of us little poops dictating how to spend our hard earned money.

we all want more war and destruction of course, letโ€™s not be silly.

Dude me too!!! I like to believe he was so cool just to show up for free ๐Ÿ˜„
the guy that punched and strangled his adopted children on a plane is โ€œcoolโ€ now?

we all want more war and destruction of course, letโ€™s not be silly.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

sometimes this forum thinks its hot shit
giphy.gif

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I just got an email that the location I scheduled my blood test at that I was complaining yesterday I'd have to carve out a whole afternoon to drive to and back from? Yeah that location is closed and they forgot to tell me when I made the appointment. So now I have to make a new appointment at another one of that corp's locations in a city that's even further away because fuck meeeeeeeeeeee ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I just got an email that the location I scheduled my blood test at that I was complaining yesterday I'd have to carve out a whole afternoon to drive to and back from? Yeah that location is closed and they forgot to tell me when I made the appointment. So now I have to make a new appointment at another one of that corp's locations in a city that's even further away because fuck meeeeeeeeeeee๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
We are set up to fail at practically every turn. This country blows.

Been shooed away from my house for the better part of two days while my real estate agent staged the place and took pictures. Now Iโ€™m back hanging and itโ€™s so weird. It feels like Iโ€™m half in my house and half in a hotel. Or like itโ€™s a house playing my house in a dream

Look I know politics can be cagey (and I mean like actual politics; zoning by-laws, infrastructure funding, that kind of boring shit as opposed to human rights being debated and science being challenged by some anti-vax shill who dove into page 3 of Google search results), but are there any active governments in the world that are doing alright for themselves? Like...any kind of model behaviour from politicians who listen to the will of their people? Or is it all fucked because capitalism is dominant in every region?

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't ask questions I'm not entirely sure I want the answer to ๐Ÿซ 

Look I know politics can be cagey (and I mean like actual politics; zoning by-laws, infrastructure funding, that kind of boring shit as opposed to human rights being debated and science being challenged by some anti-vax shill who dove into page 3 of Google search results), but are there any active governments in the world that are doing alright for themselves? Like...any kind of model behaviour from politicians who listen to the will of their people? Or is it all fucked because capitalism is dominant in every region?
Likely just varying degrees of fucked.

Edit: Whoops.

Likely just varying degrees of fucked.

Edit: Whoops.
No no, that's kinda what I feared but also expected ๐Ÿ˜…

In unrelated news I just got to describe to my co-workers the difference between 'gamers' and capital-G 'Gamersโ„ข', so it's been a weird start to this week lol

The whole world is in a transition phase right now, so I don't think it would be wise to expect any country or city to be completely well off. Every single nation suffers from similar problems, like rising temperatures, housing crisis, energy, un and underemployment. Technology will address all of this eventually but in the meantime it's gonna be a really painful transition period. I don't think competence level of a government would do much when you lack the right tech for your problems.

Playing PoP Lost Crown, stuck on the forest boss, and seeing lots of praise for this fight while I'm gradually just getting sick of the game as I die repeatedly.

Unsure if this is an illness thing or what, but I might end up playing this one on n00b difficulty.

Playing PoP Lost Crown, stuck on the forest boss, and seeing lots of praise for this fight while I'm gradually just getting sick of the game as I die repeatedly.

Unsure if this is an illness thing or what, but I might end up playing this one on n00b difficulty.
Complaining on the Internet works again! Obviously I defeated the boss at the next attempt after posting this without any difficulty.

Technology will address all of this eventually
this is the most optimisticly nihilistic thing Iโ€™ve ever heard, and I really canโ€™t say I agree

we have to stop treating things like theyโ€™re design and tech problems โ€” more often than not, they arenโ€™t.

there are things that can be done to lessen the blow โ€” some infrastructures that can be dreamed up โ€” but so long as the priorities theyโ€™ve made clear are held over us, and the speculative nothings make freewheeling fascists with no human-centric beliefs empoweredโ€ฆ

(gesticulates sardonically at the air)

The whole world is in a transition phase right now, so I don't think it would be wise to expect any country or city to be completely well off. Every single nation suffers from similar problems, like rising temperatures, housing crisis, energy, un and underemployment. Technology will address all of this eventually but in the meantime it's gonna be a really painful transition period. I don't think competence level of a government would do much when you lack the right tech for your problems.
For the most part the tech exists to solve those issues, it's just more profitable to barrel towards extinction.
You might as well wait for governments and corporations to grow a conscience.

We're are currently in one of the most important moment is human history, because about 64 countries are having elections this year, some small, some huge.
Also most countries are facing a cost of living crisis which is sad. Hopefully in the coming year we'll see improvement at all fronts.

Hoping that everyone here are well and bless everyone hearts.
ojlw4q9zdm9c1.jpeg

We're are currently in one of the most important moment is human history, because about 64 countries are having elections this year, some small, some huge.
Also most countries are facing a cost of living crisis which is sad. Hopefully in the coming year we'll see improvement at all fronts.

Hoping that everyone here are well and bless everyone hearts.
ojlw4q9zdm9c1.jpeg
ah, elections!

hhhh

hhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

elections killed my father
โ€“ the jonker

in all seriousness what an amazing world it would be if elections solved problems

I feel like that one is kind of the "wake up call"-boss. Of course, depending on when you do it, it's kinda the first one which packs a mean punch and requires you to learn the patterns more. Got stuck on it for a while on my first playthrough too (and did eventually tune down the difficulty :LOL: ).

instead of making myself sad I could be posting nonsense tweets from my 2017 attempt to make a daily tweet bot

there's some required reading though (the rest of the tweets) for some of the long con punchlines

I can guarantee some shreds of them will end up in Grรถgol Bonanza...

here, enjoy a finely curated selection:
  • what the sun brings to a potluck, nothing so help me GOD

• the spice so nice they named it โ€œnutmegโ€

• who lives in a pineapple under the influence and above the law

• yandex take the wheel

• the grinch who stole my medication, oh no

• the shadow of the waiting borndog. what's borndog, not much bro what's borndog with you

• mob dylan (makes you an offer, you can't refuuuse)

• short tweet

• a year in spider longing

we have to stop treating things like theyโ€™re design and tech problems โ€” more often than not, they arenโ€™t.

there are things that can be done to lessen the blow โ€” some infrastructures that can be dreamed up โ€” but so long as the priorities theyโ€™ve made clear are held over us, and the speculative nothings make freewheeling fascists with no human-centric beliefs empoweredโ€ฆ
All problems we're having are man made, stem from the complexity of our modern lives. But all of them has solutions through technological advancements. All of them.

Take climate change for instance, literally you need better tech to fight it properly:
Old energy has the biggest carbon footprint, you need clean, cheap AND efficient energy fast. Thankfully breakthroughs are being made in fusion energy field today and solar energy is getting more efficient every day.
Food industry needs to release much less carbon in the air and stem cell food growth is the biggest key. Again, we're working on it as fast as we can.
Plastics needs to be more biodegeradable, much more than they are today. This one progresses the slowest but not hopeless at all.
EV cars need to catch up with gas ones in every aspect. Again, this also progresses slowly but it does improve gradually. Battery tech remains as the biggest bottleneck today.

You might feel bureaucracy interferes all of those above but really not the case. We, the whole humanity, are as fast as we can be right now. It's just... not enough.
For the most part the tech exists to solve those issues, it's just more profitable to barrel towards extinction.
You might as well wait for governments and corporations to grow a conscience.
Corporations don't need conscience. They need to be where money is. Demand needs to be answered with supply. Everybody wants an electric vehicle that does everything a gas car does at a cheaper price, doesn't it? They all should be pouring billions of dollars in their R&D departments. All you have to remind them that consumer is the king, not their shareholders. You need to remind them to play the game by rules and that no market is to be manipulated.

But... do you? Oh yes you do. You gave the auto makers time to completely abandon gas car production. And you're serious about it. Next year Norway will be the first country to ban new gas car sales and others soon to follow. Good things do happen but we need good things to happen very fast.

There were elections in the Netherlands in November last year.

We are still waiting for a new government to be formed.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Everybody wants an electric vehicle that does everything a gas car does at a cheaper price
literally they donโ€™t though

like youโ€™re assuming way too much about people

COVID showed me what people will do with a solvable problem. yโ€™all still act like itโ€™s solved and wait for me to die because Iโ€™m an acceptable loss!

you want to talk about the horrors the western world is committing for those batteries? how many electric vehicle funds go directly into private jets and rocket fuel pollution that the rest of us couldnโ€™t make a fucking dent in with our whole-ass human lives?

there is no tech solution to climate change. we have already fucked it. we could have stepped back a century and taken it slow literally any fucking day we wanted to. have you? have your peers? has your country?

that wouldnโ€™t stop the damage happening right now, thatโ€™ll be happening for decades and centuries after this. we could have slowed some of the worst shit, but people are too busy being the fucking worst to give a shit, and the corporations and billionaires with footprints that eclipse the rest of us sure as shit arenโ€™t investing in wagons

we donโ€™t have the technology to widely cool an area. we have strategies, but we literally cannot solve that with tech. the best we get is AC if the power grid holds, which requires a commitment to infrastructure eschewed by even the most leftist politicians around. and that energy literally has to come from somewhere. are we energy independent?

corporations are buying up freshwater because they know itโ€™s โ€œblue goldโ€

they have for decades, because they had the reports saying this was coming.

but the earth is covered in water!

you wanna talk about the state of desalination?

you wanna talk about the accessibility of any of these technologies?

you wanna talk about what people do when given all the tools to keep us safe in solidarity?

the colonial mindset has fucking killed us. it has killed over and over again and will kill us and kill us and kill us

even if we had every perfect technology, somehow magically flawless, with no cost nor danger โ€” would those who control it use it for us? would they let us access it? would we?

All problems we're having are man made, stem from the complexity of our modern lives. But all of them has solutions through technological advancements. All of them.

Take climate change for instance, literally you need better tech to fight it properly:
Old energy has the biggest carbon footprint, you need clean, cheap AND efficient energy fast. Thankfully breakthroughs are being made in fusion energy field today and solar energy is getting more efficient every day.
Food industry needs to release much less carbon in the air and stem cell food growth is the biggest key. Again, we're working on it as fast as we can.
Plastics needs to be more biodegeradable, much more than they are today. This one progresses the slowest but not hopeless at all.
EV cars need to catch up with gas ones in every aspect. Again, this also progresses slowly but it does improve gradually. Battery tech remains as the biggest bottleneck today.

You might feel bureaucracy interferes all of those above but really not the case. We, the whole humanity, are as fast as we can be right now. It's just... not enough.

Corporations don't need conscience. They need to be where money is. Demand needs to be answered with supply. Everybody wants an electric vehicle that does everything a gas car does at a cheaper price, doesn't it? They all should be pouring billions of dollars in their R&D departments. All you have to remind them that consumer is the king, not their shareholders. You need to remind them to play the game by rules and that no market is to be manipulated.

But... do you? Oh yes you do. You gave the auto makers time to completely abandon gas car production. And you're serious about it. Next year Norway will be the first country to ban new gas car sales and others soon to follow. Good things do happen but we need good things to happen very fast.
Technology should exist to solve these problems but people are too busy using technology to create different problems.

I wish I shared your optimism, but I just can't anymore.

EV cars are not a solution to climate change. It's an individual solution to a systemic problem. What we need is a lot more reliable and cheap public transportation, and maybe some EV cars for the last kilometer. In Switzerland we have a system of car-sharing pretty much everywhere that incites people to travel via public transportation and then rent a car for a couple hours to a day if they need it. I think that's what we need to do ideally rather than give everyone an EV car.

But I get what you mean though, and I appreciate the optimism. Even if we're already fucked, we don't need doom and gloom, we need to keep fighting against climate change. We'll get to +2ยฐC for sure unfortunately, but we have to fight so we won't get to +3ยฐC, +4ยฐC, etc.

IMG-0708.jpg

i canโ€™t believe I have to witness the watered-down version of โ€œhypocrite that you areโ€ today

to be clear Iโ€™m not a doomer by any means. Iโ€™m fucking angry. I know our world is resilient โ€” Iโ€™m not that worried about the world, tbh.

I am worried about people โ€” we love fucking people over, and all of these things are fucking over people.

Iโ€™m just sick of the โ€œgentle debateโ€ modus operandi about the whole thing. the people that have been put in charge will not fix it, because it has profound gains for them. even aiming to fix it and then going slow has profound gains for them.

Iโ€™m not even saying โ€œno fossil fuelsโ€ โ€” people exist in harsher situations and may need that to survive. I get that.

but we are in chaotic excess because itโ€™s profitable.

even that article that was linked about whichever european nationโ€™s gonna dump gas cars โ€” it outright says theyโ€™ll send them to other countries, lmao. shit like that is easier in a european country โ€” theyโ€™re fuckinโ€™ small!

this is so often the approach of a moral environmental imperative โ€” for instance, did you know that the vast majority of recycling isnโ€™t recycled because no one wants to maintain the infrastructure to do it?

barges of our recycling โ€” turned useless trash โ€” are being turned away from the countries we export them to to make them not our problem.

it is โ€” shocker โ€” once again a form of colonialism.

the mass pollution, the worst offenders, the behemoths the rest of us couldnโ€™t even touch unified โ€” those corporations and people are literally responsible for an overwhelming majority of the issue. but itโ€™s been marketed as a โ€œtrickle-downโ€ thing!

only you can stop using plastic bags! tee hee!

we donโ€™t care what practical use plastic straws have for people with disabilities โ€” letโ€™s banish them because itโ€™s easier and more effective to market a sad turtle dying than GIVE A MEANINGFUL BROAD VIEW OF THE DAMAGE DONE AND MOVE FORWARD WITH A PEOPLE-CENTRIC UNIFIED FRONT

and their plot fucking worked! like the sheer volume of people who have taken on an โ€œindividual responsibilityโ€ that cannot even dent the behemoths is wild! perspective is lost at all given opportunities!!!!!

anyways iโ€™m losing coherence but my point is that there is people-centric hope but you canโ€™t strive towards it if youโ€™re not always surveying the whole picture and putting people first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom