• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST31 Apr. 2024| Famicafé Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna emotionally whiplash between two topics because I do want to balance both

EV cars need to catch up with gas ones in every aspect. Again, this also progresses slowly but it does improve gradually. Battery tech remains as the biggest bottleneck today.
I do agree with @Party Sklar that EV cars aren't the long term solution; I'll admit I do have myself a PHEV living in the 'burbs, but realistically it's because I know the public transit routes in my city are not at all reliable and poorly funded. Hell, even if we all did switch to fully EV cars and cut carbon emissions from exhaust, EV cars are significantly heavier due to the density of batteries, and when individuals are taking up as much space as they do on the roads that introduces new wear and tear on the asphalt for roads, requiring more repairs, and will generate more tar and pollution to patch and pave the roads that get all torn up.

We do have technology like electric buses which is all fine and dandy, but it's not profitable right now. All this grand technology that could theoretically save us, but it's not popular because it doesn't maximize shareholder profit. We have specialized tugboats that can collect trash at incredible volumetric tons without harming the ecosystem beneath the waters, but the garbage collected is a fraction of the Pacific Waste garbage patch, and still doesn't account for the garbage that is continually added to our oceans and environments.

Technology should exist to solve these problems but people are too busy using technology to create different problems.

I wish I shared your optimism, but I just can't anymore.
This pretty effectively summarizes where I'm at, too. That said, I live and die by the feel good articles that are out there that show things may not be as dire as is painted, that humanity can make small changes that meaningfully add up. It's just unfortunate how the news starts off headlines with the worst and make it damn near impossible trying to find any kind of hope that this life is still worth living in any capacity when it's all a matter of time hurtling towards oblivion sooner than we'd like.

we don’t care what practical use plastic straws have for people with disabilities — let’s banish them because it’s easier and more effective to market a sad turtle dying than GIVE A MEANINGFUL BROAD VIEW OF THE DAMAGE DONE AND MOVE FORWARD WITH A PEOPLE-CENTRIC UNIFIED FRONT

and their plot fucking worked! like the sheer volume of people who have taken on an “individual responsibility” that cannot even dent the behemoths is wild! perspective is lost at all given opportunities!!!!!

anyways i’m losing coherence but my point is that there is people-centric hope but you can’t strive towards it if you’re not always surveying the whole picture and putting people first
This honestly does sum up a lot of what I wish I could have been trying to make a point of to my friend. Like, that whole Loblaws boycott for the month of May? I would love to see it work, and I'll do my part, but coming in on a high horse to me that "Canadians are lazy, this will not change anything" and not offering any other material solutions to the problem of inflation and rising costs of living just seems so disingenuous.

I know I'm effectively throwing myself at the sun with a "Take that you piece of shit!" mentality that will just incinerate me first, but I just don't want to feel helpless and know I have to do something.

I really wish elections did work, but I hate even more the cynics who take a smug approach because they didn't even bother voting nor participating in any other civic duties to alter the course of what they think is fixed

Now with all that above out of my system
The current voice actor for Foghorn Leghorn is acting these now. It’s perfect lol.

God knows I need me a good laugh and bless Eric Bauza for giving the people what they need 😂 I really hope people keep sending him the best of the best and he can do goofy little bits with this as long as he can

We do have technology like electric buses which is all fine and dandy, but it's not profitable right now. All this grand technology that could theoretically save us, but it's not popular because it doesn't maximize shareholder profit. We have specialized tugboats that can collect trash at incredible volumetric tons without harming the ecosystem beneath the waters, but the garbage collected is a fraction of the Pacific Waste garbage patch, and still doesn't account for the garbage that is continually added to our oceans and environments.
Yeah, we need the technology to make them "profitable", as in, cheaper but better than gas cars. This only can be achieved through battery breakthroughs and a lot of experts at R&D centers across the globe are working on it right now (we also need this for a super powerful Switch successor too lol)

And don't forget, auto makers are manipulative as hell, they love to reshape the market of their liking. Like, working with city planners or fossil fuel giants to keep people more gas car dependent. No industry today is as aggressive as theirs. It's up to us to keep them in line. Stuff like phase out deadline and emission restrictions are super useful but they always fight back, we should too.

i can’t believe I have to witness the watered-down version of “hypocrite that you are” today

to be clear I’m not a doomer by any means. I’m fucking angry. I know our world is resilient — I’m not that worried about the world, tbh.

I am worried about people — we love fucking people over, and all of these things are fucking over people.

I’m just sick of the “gentle debate” modus operandi about the whole thing. the people that have been put in charge will not fix it, because it has profound gains for them. even aiming to fix it and then going slow has profound gains for them.

I’m not even saying “no fossil fuels” — people exist in harsher situations and may need that to survive. I get that.

but we are in chaotic excess because it’s profitable.

even that article that was linked about whichever european nation’s gonna dump gas cars — it outright says they’ll send them to other countries, lmao. shit like that is easier in a european country — they’re fuckin’ small!

this is so often the approach of a moral environmental imperative — for instance, did you know that the vast majority of recycling isn’t recycled because no one wants to maintain the infrastructure to do it?

barges of our recycling — turned useless trash — are being turned away from the countries we export them to to make them not our problem.

it is — shocker — once again a form of colonialism.

the mass pollution, the worst offenders, the behemoths the rest of us couldn’t even touch unified — those corporations and people are literally responsible for an overwhelming majority of the issue. but it’s been marketed as a “trickle-down” thing!

only you can stop using plastic bags! tee hee!

we don’t care what practical use plastic straws have for people with disabilities — let’s banish them because it’s easier and more effective to market a sad turtle dying than GIVE A MEANINGFUL BROAD VIEW OF THE DAMAGE DONE AND MOVE FORWARD WITH A PEOPLE-CENTRIC UNIFIED FRONT

and their plot fucking worked! like the sheer volume of people who have taken on an “individual responsibility” that cannot even dent the behemoths is wild! perspective is lost at all given opportunities!!!!!

anyways i’m losing coherence but my point is that there is people-centric hope but you can’t strive towards it if you’re not always surveying the whole picture and putting people first
One of the irritations I've had about California™ is that with a certain type of people the fact that I love old cars has gotten me framed as "pro-pollution" because of how heavily the culture (or a certain left(ish) portion of it anyway) have internalized the idea that climate change is a problem of individual responsibility to be solved by individual consumers. I've literally been reproached for my enjoyment of old cars, and when I point out the damaging effects of contributing to the continuing machine that is mass-market automobile production (where, like iphones, you gotta have a new one every few years!!) people counter acting as though giving tens of thousands of dollars to megacorps for their newer vehicles that are larger, heavier, and only barely more fuel efficient overall (yay CAFE standards!!) is some sort of social net positive. And don't even get me started on people who insist they're saving the world by giving money to the Musk Machine.

But recycling already-existing cars by fixing them up and getting them running well? You're pro-pollution. Point out that actually the vast majority of CO2 emissions come from massive corporations and The Rich *coughTSwift'splanecough* and somehow you're shirking your individual responsibility. Show how recent California laws have literally outlawed the use of newer, more efficient aftermarket catalytic converters (that would make old cars pollute less) in favor of being legally obligated to only purchase special OEM-specific catalytic systems that often cost literally 5-10 times more than aftermarket units because they're model specific? You secretly just want to pollute by modifying your car!

But demand that the government and their ever-increasing list of regulations that conveniently make things more expensive for individuals (including things like the parts that we need to keep our cars running) should focus instead on regulating the wealthy and the corps? Then it's like oh they did cap-and-trade, it's enough! How dare you deflect! It's up to you! Only you can prevent forest fires! Buy a paper straw and drive a Musk Mobile!

It's this wild setup where conservatives worship the ground the rich walk on and climate change doesn't exist therefore no regulation is necessary, VS liberals saying there's definitely climate change and it's up to us and the little things we do to fix it, and both approaches wanna completely sidestep the corporate-shaped elephant in the room. It's like individuals are easer to control and regulate so even the American left (which is.. ya know) decided they'll just regulate us (the straw thing is a great example) instead of doing the hard damn work of regulating the biggest perpetrators. At least they recognize there's a problem! But it's like they aren't allowed to lay responsibility at the proper feet. And if you point that out, you're part of the problem, somehow.

My name is chocolate underscore supra and I drive a 20-year-old Toyota. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Except I hear the people behind TED Talks are also gross now? So since I don't know another meme phrase to use in it's place, let's just pretend I'm referring to a car-weeb organization called Toyotas Every Day.

My scans have come back clean, so I am now officially 4 years cancer free.

This is a significant milestone as the type of cancer I had is considered to be cured if it doesn't come back in 8 years, so I am halfway there!
That's fantastic news. Wishing you all the best!

This is a significant milestone as the type of cancer I had is considered to be cured if it doesn't come back in 8 years, so I am halfway there!
woooooooooooooo!!!!
🙌 🙌 🙌

once I maintain persistent data in a singleton it’s over for you fuckers

(still troubleshooting the Grögol Bonanza mini-demo but adding feature previews in the process)

iggy’s what
Iggy's Deckin' Halls

ihhF8Ij.jpeg

Woohoo! I just finished writing another new song. I'm hoping to record this in my makeshift studio tomorrow. Knowing me, this project won't be ready to show off for a long time, but it's awesome to have the writing phase completed!

One of the irritations I've had about California™ is that with a certain type of people the fact that I love old cars has gotten me framed as "pro-pollution" because of how heavily the culture (or a certain left(ish) portion of it anyway) have internalized the idea that climate change is a problem of individual responsibility to be solved by individual consumers. I've literally been reproached for my enjoyment of old cars, and when I point out the damaging effects of contributing to the continuing machine that is mass-market automobile production (where, like iphones, you gotta have a new one every few years!!) people counter acting as though giving tens of thousands of dollars to megacorps for their newer vehicles that are larger, heavier, and only barely more fuel efficient overall (yay CAFE standards!!) is some sort of social net positive. And don't even get me started on people who insist they're saving the world by giving money to the Musk Machine.

But recycling already-existing cars by fixing them up and getting them running well? You're pro-pollution. Point out that actually the vast majority of CO2 emissions come from massive corporations and The Rich *coughTSwift'splanecough* and somehow you're shirking your individual responsibility. Show how recent California laws have literally outlawed the use of newer, more efficient aftermarket catalytic converters (that would make old cars pollute less) in favor of being legally obligated to only purchase special OEM-specific catalytic systems that often cost literally 5-10 times more than aftermarket units because they're model specific? You secretly just want to pollute by modifying your car!

But demand that the government and their ever-increasing list of regulations that conveniently make things more expensive for individuals (including things like the parts that we need to keep our cars running) should focus instead on regulating the wealthy and the corps? Then it's like oh they did cap-and-trade, it's enough! How dare you deflect! It's up to you! Only you can prevent forest fires! Buy a paper straw and drive a Musk Mobile!

It's this wild setup where conservatives worship the ground the rich walk on and climate change doesn't exist therefore no regulation is necessary, VS liberals saying there's definitely climate change and it's up to us and the little things we do to fix it, and both approaches wanna completely sidestep the corporate-shaped elephant in the room. It's like individuals are easer to control and regulate so even the American left (which is.. ya know) decided they'll just regulate us (the straw thing is a great example) instead of doing the hard damn work of regulating the biggest perpetrators. At least they recognize there's a problem! But it's like they aren't allowed to lay responsibility at the proper feet. And if you point that out, you're part of the problem, somehow.

My name is chocolate underscore supra and I drive a 20-year-old Toyota. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Except I hear the people behind TED Talks are also gross now? So since I don't know another meme phrase to use in it's place, let's just pretend I'm referring to a car-weeb organization called Toyotas Every Day.
This is a similar issue to how local councils here gradually reduce bin collection in the hope that people will throw away less plastics for recycling, without doing anything to push for more products to be sold in biodegradable packaging. On the plus side, I’m starting to see more coffee and cereals sold in paper packets rather than plastic (or glass jars with plastic lids). But there’s no reason why a pack of 6 apples needs to be sold in a plastic tray once it’s at the supermarket. You’d think that if enough local authorities put pressure on the handful of supermarket chains that have a massive store in every town in the country here, or the national food standards authorities or whatever, that would be a better use of time than just telling people they can’t recycle more when the shops only sell stuff in plastic boxes. The level of packaging waste from those supermarkets on site is also just wild. I’ll buy stuff that isn’t in plastic and doesn’t need to be if given a choice, but there isn’t always a choice. With foods packaged at source it’s also an international problem, in which case the food packaging authorities of large numbers of countries need to communicate, rather than spam plastic packaging as long as it’s got the right local recycle label on it, and then hoping local authorities deal with it from there.

We're are currently in one of the most important moment is human history, because about 64 countries are having elections this year, some small, some huge.
Also most countries are facing a cost of living crisis which is sad. Hopefully in the coming year we'll see improvement at all fronts.

Hoping that everyone here are well and bless everyone hearts.
ojlw4q9zdm9c1.jpeg

Russia being on a worldmap for "elections" is funny.

As a newly minted Roan fan I am offended

v1JLjuD.jpeg

Of ALL the possible Jokers to get inspired of, she chose Jared Leto's ...

And now, a moral epidemic amongst today's teens, who are sending each other pictures of lizards over text message in a dangerous new practice called "Gexting"

Very good news, congrats! 😁

Surprised people doesn’t know about Extreme-G

Dammit I feel too old lol.

Even though, never heard of Iggy’s Break Balls

Hahaha.

In all seriousness though, I think this is my new fave. Sure, it can be quantity over quality with anthologies, and I’m still sitting on some tracks to get used to, but there are a lot of bangers.
I’m slowly giving it a second listen, adding the songs I like to a playlist, then just ignoring the rest.

I know I'm super late to the party, but I decided to get Harvestella. I need a relaxing game right now, and blending farming sim with RPG should help ease me into the genre.

I want this day to be over and dive into DQXI sigh...
wait you’re in Ancient Or Beyond tier?

why did I think you were like… twenty at most
Lol no, I'm 44 yo. Maybe you think I'm younger is because I say stupid stuff a lot of the times 😄

I just see Abload calls it a day. Bummer, used to be my go to image hosting site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom