• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, while i try to understand Atlus' actions, my mind goes deep into conspiracy theories lmao.

I mean, "fine" in terms of it not eating THAT much into the profits. The thing is that they have to do market research on 1) cost of cart production 2) buying patterns of target demo 3) whether printing carts would be profitable or not. Often times, for games that aren't basically guaranteed big sellers, it's always going to be more profitable to go digital only.

I'm not a physical games buyer but I DO feel for the collectors. I wish the carts were less expensive, resulting in more physical games being made available.
i mean they released catherine retail it be weird not for ageis

It’s been a long time since I’ve played gen 4, so I’ve forgotten almost everything. But I have to say it’s terrible design putting a gym in hearthome that you can access but it isn’t explicitly clear that you cannot fight the leader yet. And your rival’s name is even listed as one of the trainers who cleared the gym, implying that it actually is the third gym and you just need to do something in town to trigger the gym leader.

I spent a long time in this damn town, even doing contests (which I hate), thinking that was how you made it so you could fight the gym leader.
Is it any surprise that this is one of Platinum's many changes from DP? Like, I get it, the "Gym in an earlier town requires you to beat other gyms first" trope was a thing in early Pokémon games, and knowing that ahead of time it wasn't so bad (I think the pause menu in BDSP will at least tell you to go to Veilstone once you talk to Fantina, which helps), but the Platinum change really streamlines the progression.

Is it any surprise that this is one of Platinum's many changes from DP? Like, I get it, the "Gym in an earlier town requires you to beat other gyms first" trope was a thing in early Pokémon games, and knowing that ahead of time it wasn't so bad (I think the pause menu in BDSP will at least tell you to go to Veilstone once you talk to Fantina, which helps), but the Platinum change really streamlines the progression.
The pause menu telling you what to do next was so handy lol, I hate the part where you have to talk to an NPC you probably already talked to for a second time because he’ll do something else that triggers the whole next sequence of the game.

i mean they released catherine retail it be weird not for ageis
fwiw, and this is totally anecdotal, but I see physical switch copies of catherine on sale all the time so maybe that didn't make it's money back, hence their hesitance to make any more physical copies of more niche titles.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong for wanting a physical cart or anything, by the way. I'm just trying to look at the data we've got and work backwards to figure out how they made this decision. Usually, as with all capitalist ventures such as video game releases, decisions like this come down to "how do we make more money."

Nintendo should solve "the physical problem" by figuring out some kinda "print-to-order" system. You order a game from their website (maybe at a higher price to account for the extra cost of doing this) and then it burns off a cartridge for you, prints and applies the sticker, prints and inserts the box art, puts it all together and ships it to you. If Microsoft could figure out custom controllers, you'd think Nintendo could figure out this.

You know how people online will dismiss complaints about expensive items in F2P shops by saying "it's just cosmetic"? But I'll be real, being able to to dress up Link in BOTW was one of the best additions to the series. Outfits were one of the best additions to Mario Odyssey. Getting your Inkling to look fresh is a major appeal of the series. Current Animal Crossing is all about self expression. There's a reason why Fashion Souls is a thing. I was thinking of making a thread on here or on Era about how cosmetics are almost just as appointment as gameplay changing items. Videogames are one of the few mediums where we can have direct control of the appearance of the protagonist. Cosmetics help add visual variety to games we play for dozen or hundreds of hours.

Basically, playing dress up in games is fun.

"It's just cosmetics" is indeed an irksome refrain. It's too easily written and too quickly said because people only think in comparison to pay-2-win, but offering a mechanical advantage was never required to get people to spend money they might or might not have when feeling special and standing out was always the key draw.

Engagement and activity on this forum has been really good these past few weeks. Even other threads are getting a good number of posts and discussion. This bodes well for when I eventually sell the site and all your souls to an eSports website!

Nintendo should solve "the physical problem" by figuring out some kinda "print-to-order" system. You order a game from their website (maybe at a higher price to account for the extra cost of doing this) and then it burns off a cartridge for you, prints and applies the sticker, prints and inserts the box art, puts it all together and ships it to you. If Microsoft could figure out custom controllers, you'd think Nintendo could figure out this.
fun fact, this is how amazon sells a lot of low-volume cds

collectors hate it

Atlus' system for determining ports and platforms is very obvious and easy, one dartboard for the game and one for the platforms and they send a blind monkey to throw darts for an hour.

Engagement and activity on this forum has been really good these past few weeks. Even other threads are getting a good number of posts and discussion. This bodes well for when I eventually sell the site and all your souls to an eSports website!
Can't wait to see the MSRP on my soul!

I'd... actually take advantage of this.

Joke's on you, I lost my soul a looooong time ago. LOL

Atlus' system for determining ports and platforms is very obvious and easy, one dartboard for the game and one for the platforms and they send a blind monkey to throw darts for an hour.
I genuinely think they have some kinda agreement with Sony about the core, numbered Persona games. Persona 4 Golden probably involved them going to Sony and saying something along the lines of "look, this didn't make it's money back on the Vita due to low hardware sales that was definitely YOUR fault. Mind if we put this out on PC?" and sony saying "siiiiggghhhhh fine whatever"

Figure out a way to go into a store and just get what you want made for you in a machine like those key making stations. Now that would be amazing

Figure out a way to go into a store and just get what you want made for you in a machine like those key making stations. Now that would be amazing
what if they had rewritable carts and you go to a kiosk to get a new game written to it

they could call it a Switch Card Writer

it could look like this:

fds_flyer1-710x1024.jpg

Damn, finally finished this track. The mashup of Michael Jackson and Carly Rae Jepsen.

Made it sound crystal clear and polished. I'm actually... happy with it

Broke: Stinker Horse
Woke: 𝓕𝓪𝓷𝓬𝔂 𝓑𝓮𝓮
HOWWWWW

i regularly look at my amiibo shelf and say "fuck these things"
Me at my vinyl collection that's ~700 albums strong according to Discogs and everytime I buy another one

(except my latest Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band's Legendary No Nukes 1979 Concert at the Madison Square Garden on 2LP with limited edition denim patch)

The thing that bugs me most about Atlus and their Persona decisions, especially if Sony has a deal with them, is how the heck did P4G go to Steam but not PS4, especially after how successful P5 and P5R were on PS4?!

The thing that bugs me most about Atlus and their Persona decisions, especially if Sony has a deal with them, is how the heck did P4G go to Steam but not PS4, especially after how successful P5 and P5R were on PS4?!
I think cause at that time they had the vita tv so you could play persona 4 golden on the tv with that and they probably wanted to sell more vita tv's. As of right now i'm not sure I think all eyes are on next gen consoles. 2018-2019 they should have def ported it on there tho.

I'm just coming to the realization that I'm only really excited for three next-gen games, and one was announced last night. Starfield, Suicide Squad, and Alan Wake 2. Kinda depressing after the great start to the generation with Microsoft Flight Simulator, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank, Planet Coaster Console Edition, Cyberpunk (before it disappointed), Immortals, etc. VR, Nintendo, and the Indie scene are so much more exciting right now. Anyone else feel the same?

I think cause at that time they had the vita tv so you could play persona 4 golden on the tv with that and they probably wanted to sell more vita tv's. As of right now i'm not sure I think all eyes are on next gen consoles. 2018-2019 they should have def ported it on there tho.
Right, I meant more like how did it come to Steam last year but didn't come to PS4 at the same time and still isn't on PS4.

I'm just coming to the realization that I'm only really excited for three next-gen games, and one was announced last night. Starfield, Suicide Squad, and Alan Wake 2. Kinda depressing after the great start to the generation with Microsoft Flight Simulator, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank, Planet Coaster Console Edition, Cyberpunk (before it disappointed), Immortals, etc. VR, Nintendo, and the Indie scene are so much more exciting right now. Anyone else feel the same?
they’re gonna keep making yakuza games so I will always have something to look forward to

I have a PS5 and nothing from yesterday appealed to me. The only game I will try down the line is HFW.

What about nintendo stuff? or are you only counting the third party games outside of nintendo you are hype for. Honestly I kinda feel you for me probably the only Non Nintendo game I am hype for is Elden Ring

What about nintendo stuff? or are you only counting the third party games outside of nintendo you are hype for. Honestly I kinda feel you for me probably the only Non Nintendo game I am hype for is Elden Ring
I mentioned Nintendo in the things that actually excite me. That, Indies, and VR.

Nothing next gen is interesting me.

I’ve gotten very picky on what I want and I’m not a graphics person at all. So CG trailers and these “life like graphics” demos do nothing for me. I need some actual gameplay and a lot of these games for the future ain’t really selling me.

I like DC but Suicide Squad ain’t gonna be for me.
Star field is a Bethesda game which I most likely won’t like it. But it’s ok gamepass so I’ll end up trying it out after it releases.
Alan Wake 2 is something I’m not even remotely interested in. Those 2-3 hours I spent on the original is I all needed to say “not for me”

Think Final Fantasy XVI is the only one with some interest but that gameplay I saw is making me worry. Action-RPG like KH? Okay I’ll keep tabs. DMC style? Nope!

Yeah, most of the (non-Nintendo, non-indie) stuff I'm excited for is really far out. Only things I can think of coming really soon are Elden Ring and Forspoken, and even then I'm not really sure I want to buy Forspoken at full price. The rest are games without solid release dates like God of War Ragnarok, Evil West, Shadow Warrior 3, Ghostwire: Tokyo, or even further off like Spider-Man 2 being 2023. And I think of that list, the only one that's actually exclusive to the new consoles is Spider-Man 2.

I have one last simple written assignment to finish.

After that, I'll take a long nap. And then I'll finally announce the first details for the new Nintendo Direct Speculation thread.

Nothing next gen is interesting me.

I’ve gotten very picky on what I want and I’m not a graphics person at all. So CG trailers and these “life like graphics” demos do nothing for me. I need some actual gameplay and a lot of these games for the future ain’t really selling me.

I like DC but Suicide Squad ain’t gonna be for me.
Star field is a Bethesda game which I most likely won’t like it. But it’s ok gamepass so I’ll end up trying it out after it releases.
Alan Wake 2 is something I’m not even remotely interested in. Those 2-3 hours I spent on the original is I all needed to say “not for me”

Think Final Fantasy XVI is the only one with some interest but that gameplay I saw is making me worry. Action-RPG like KH? Okay I’ll keep tabs. DMC style? Nope!
I completely forgot FFXVI existed, that would probably be the other non nintendo game I am hype for other than Elden ring. I actually like the ARPG style final fantasy games. I think ff7 remake did it well

I have a feeling that when Persona 6 is revealed and is inevitably PS exclusive people are still gonna be super surprised and up in arms and it's gonna be a huge controversy despite the fact it's gonna be incredibly obvious and unsurprising lol. People need to let the dream die, mainline Persona on Switch (or any non-PS platform, at least with P5 and beyond) ain't gonna happen.

Also, on an unrelated (to Persona, not the thread discussion) note: one "next gen" aka technically current gen exclusive (I think?) that I'm looking forward to is that Korean Nier-esque game. I think it's called Project Eve? I thought it looked really cool, and visually impressive.

Nintendo games make me excited don't get me wrong but I'd like more diversity in the franchises they use.
I REALLY like Splatoon for example but I don't think that Splatoon 3 was mandatory and I think that it took a lot of manpower to make it. In the GameCube era they decided to capitalize on a lot of series and I'd love to see that for the Switch too, especially when Nintendo games sell like hot cakes.

I hope that the DK rumors are true for example I don't want a new 3D Mario for the moment, I hope that EPD9 is working on something different than Arms or Mario Kart.
Something that excites me a lot is Grezzo's new project because it doesn't seem to be a 2D Zelda.

I'm very happy with what Nintendo offered for the moment and I hope that they won't rely too much on sequels and easy projects for the upcoming years

I have a feeling that when Persona 6 is revealed and is inevitably PS exclusive people are still gonna be super surprised and up in arms and it's gonna be a huge controversy despite the fact it's gonna be incredibly obvious and unsurprising lol. People need to let the dream die, mainline Persona on Switch (or any non-PS platform, at least with P5 and beyond) ain't gonna happen.
didnt ps5 sell like 1,000 units in japan this week, I feel like those numbers need a big boost. maybe something like dragon quest will help. But am I curious if atlus will actually decide to still put it only on PlayStation if the numbers stay the same.

didnt ps5 sell like 1,000 units in japan this week, I feel like those numbers need a big boost. maybe something like dragon quest will help. But am I curious if atlus will actually decide to still put it only on PlayStation if the numbers stay the same.
I imagine it'll probably be built for the ground up for PS4 and ported to PS5 simliar to how Persona 5 was made for PS3 and ported to PS4, so I don't think PS5 sales are a big issue for Atlus. Besides, they've got a huge Western audience to think about now, too, so I don't think they're too worried about Persona 6 sales.

Maybe I should get to Persona 5 one day.

But Persona 3 and Persona 4 Golden were like decent at best games to me. The absolute repetitive nature of the gameplay is annoying, those “dungeons” got old quick. Especially when when SMT does it better and suppose to be similar. Which I never got. Maybe cause that game racks up the difficulty.

And then the VA is usually pretty good. But the writing can be hit or miss. More miss in my opinion. Social Links and living Day by day drags so much in those games.

And that just gameplay stuff. Golden absolute homophobia with that character best friend who can’t help but makes gay insults. Then there’s a Character who’s who thing is being gay is funny, with a rape joke thrown in cause you can’t sleep alongside a gay man, that’s asking for trouble. Then that stripper boss for a kid, who’s suppose to represent her fears or whatnot but the camera and script does more of a male gaze for the player rather then represent the issue it suppose to be against. Like I’m so shocked this game was talked as one of the best when those things are in your face. There’s even a part where they put high school kids in bikinis and make sexual comments, and it’s not like stuff you say among your friends in high school, it’s written like adults saying it to those playing as a nudge nudge. Unfortunately I expect this kinda of stuff in JRPGs but Persona 4 Golden went way out. Like it seemed proud to be this way, you never get a option of dialogue to call these jokes or side characters step in. They just all take it, like you’re suppose to laugh along. I don’t think I could even finish the game, I think I stopped when a character who finally starts to express his sexuality starts to fall for a character pretending to be a guy.

I get it’s high school setting and kids are idiots. I was in idiot too and glad I grew as a person. But the game never did anything to say these are kids are either idiots or learning about life. Always felt like the setting is high school but the speakers are adults and laugh along please. I don’t remember much of Persona 3 anymore, played it. Didn’t really care for it but if it’s problematic I rather forget it before it upsets me again.

I can see why folks like Persona games. It does try to tackle certain adult themes, it’s very mysterious like, a good soundtrack and frankly JRPG with lots of character interactions is popular with fans of the genre. But I personally find that it does a terrible job with its writing more often then not.

Well rant over. Sorry for that, I think Persona 4 Golden was the first game to ever make me this angry as I played it back in the day. Few games have done that to me.

Face masks are amazing. Not only do they protect yourself and others from diseases like Covid but let all of the people selling shit at the mall know that you don't want them to come anywhere near you. Everyone without masks got free cologne and soap samples shoved down their throats while no one bothered me.

Yeah, not much appealed to me at the Game Awards besides maybe Forspoken (I am not much into Sonic games and P4U would be great if I actually played P4)

There's a lot of Switch games I want (Duh), but for PS5, the only things I really want are Project Eve, Spider-Man 2 and some Japanese third party games like Monark and FF16.

To be honest, I like it like that. Switch is already going into turbo mode next year, I don't need the PS5 doing the same LOL

You know how there are things you can just never actually know, like what's inside of a black hole or what all those dinosaurs and creatures that weren't part of the 1% that got fossilized were like?

It's the same thing with TOSE games. We'll never know which of our favorite games were really, actually, made by TOSE.

TOSE is probably crawling all over your collection right this very second, might even be responsible for your favorite "first party" game of all time, but you'll never know.

Sorry, been thinking about TOSE again lately. I'ma get back to Halo now.

I don’t know a lot in global packaging, printing, and shipping… but I do have some experience

that would be brutal in terms of piecemeal costs. especially as a onesie-twosie sitch. packaging is only really cost effective in high bulk, and getting a batch contract requires a pretty high minimum to be worth a manufacturer’s time.

it’s a fun idea, but I really don’t think it’ll ever be like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom