• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy this popped up
image0.jpg

Since it applies to the switch version too, wonder when they’ll announce dlc3

I think at least twice a day about how Yuki Hayashi is the man to truly bridge the gap between Japan and the West: He took the highest cultural achievements of both, Dragon Quest and cape shit, and improved both.

Truly, we're not worthy to walk upon the same earth he walks on and to breathe the same air he breathes.

Does the "Garbage Galaxy" tag work for single posts? Asking for a friend

from what little I read of MHA, I could see the cape in it, but I wouldn't so far to say it did capes better. it read like a (good) shonen. like how Pokemon and SMT are similar in that they're monster collectors, but you play them for different reasons

Sorry for the rant. It's just frustrating.
I don’t think you have anything to apologize for! I know exactly what you’re talking about. I stopped going to smaller game shops and even bigger ones like GameStop in my area over the same type of stuff.

I’ve felt like I’ve been treated like I’m stupid garbage for buying games for Nintendo systems and Nintendo-related products at local stores, and to make matters worse, some employees, including the manager at one of them, have tried to game-enthusiast-splain things to me about Nintendo games or products after they’ve made it abundantly clear they have no affinity for them.

One time, the condescending tone and flat-out misinformation the guy was trying to spew at me (about something I obviously knew more about than he did,) caused me to leave the games I was buying on the counter mid-transaction, drive across the street to Target, and buy the stuff over there instead. (All this after he spent 15 minutes crying about how far the store’s sales had fallen that year and how much he had to work to cut down on payroll for other employees.) I drove back, walked in the door, showed him my Target bag, turned around and left. Haven’t went there since and won’t feel too sorry when they go out of business.

Last edited:
from what little I read of MHA, I could see the cape in it, but I wouldn't so far to say it did capes better. it read like a (good) shonen. like how Pokemon and SMT are similar in that they're monster collectors, but you play them for different reasons

Only talking about the music!

I drove back, walked in the door, showed him my Target bag, turned around and left. Haven’t went there since and won’t feel sorry when they go out of business.
Thank you for this because I felt guilty making the decision to stop shopping there. Businesses are struggling right now, but I'm not gonna put up with it anymore for their sake.

My SMT V Premium Edition just got delivered! Have to wait for the mail room to open, so these next few hours are going to crawl by... But I'm so excited!

A small rant, but you know what's grinding my gears this morning: terrible customer service. I've been trying super hard to support local shops and not go for the big corps recently. There is this local game store where I live and I try to support them instead of ordering from Amazon/GameStop/Digital. But every time I get this weird interaction where I feel like I'm some nobody who knows NOTHING about games and the people there are these hyper PhD level game geniuses that HAVE TO speak to me in a condescending tone every time I'm trying to give them my money. And it happens every time with everyone in there.

It's the same bullshit feeling I get when I go to my local comic book shop. As a gay man of color, this is wild. I'm gonna go pick up my pre-order today after work, but I may just give up going into these spaces. Sorry for the rant. It's just frustrating.
No need to apologize. I totally feel ya. Mom N Pop shops can be great, but they can totally suck, too. I’ve had some downright terrible customer experiences at some of them. Big chains can feel impersonal, but sometimes you just want to pay for your stuff and get on with your life, you know?

I still don't understand how Far Cry 6 beat it to the number one. It didn't look like there was big buzz for FC on the internet and Dread got this massive marketing campaign all over the world.
Far Cry is still a bigger name than Metroid, and it's on five different systems instead of one. Metroid beating Far Cry would be near impossible.

I still don't understand how Far Cry 6 beat it to the number one. It didn't look like there was big buzz for FC on the internet and Dread got this massive marketing campaign all over the world.
Being on 5 platforms instead of one was its decisive point. If it was divided in SKUs I'm pretty sure Metroid Dread would be #1. OH AND ALSO!! Metroid Dread is only counted for physical. Digital split is probably huge for this game. So it may have sold more in the end.
I'm just so happy that it's doing well. Can't wait for the quarter results.

Far Cry is the Madden of shooters. There’s a large silent group of people who buy them because they just want a brain-off checklist game where they can shoot people and be good at it because it’s single player. And this time it’s got the guy from Breaking Bad on the box!

Didn't realise my copy of SMT V came with a poster, steelbook, and key ring. Nintendo UK continuing to foist free stuff on me. I've had at least 5 keyrings off them this year, and 3 steel cases, I think.

Wow, you never realize how fast these threads move until you're part of the thread community yourself.

Metroid dread deserves its success

I should finish that game already. Oops! There are too many games. I’m not gonna get to SMTV for like a MONTH.

Love to see Metroid do well! Samus deserves!

At this point, I definitely can agree with the notion that a Prime remake announcement (say...next month?) wouldn't hurt Dread at all. If anything, it would just keep Metroid on people's minds and have them interested in buying both games.

...doubly so, if there's save game unlock bonuses. Dread Suit replacing the Fusion Suit in the original ports, perhaps?

Be still my beating heart
At best, they'd have both.

But I'd really, really hope Retro would not pass up the opportunity to update the original unlock bonus. After all, there's no reason to include the original Metroid game, anymore, thanks to NES games on Switch!

Wow. And that would be physical only, yes?

Edit - NPD only tracks physical, but the 854k figure comes from Doug Bowser and NoA, so maybe it includes digital? I honestly don't know. Either way, a huge start for Dread.
If the number comes from Nintendo, it always includes digital

No need to apologize. I totally feel ya. Mom N Pop shops can be great, but they can totally suck, too. I’ve had some downright terrible customer experiences at some of them. Big chains can feel impersonal, but sometimes you just want to pay for your stuff and get on with your life, you know?

I try to at least balance my shopping. For example, I'll try to look elsewhere before going to Amazon. At least don't let the biggest ones go completely unchallenged. Though Amazon undeniably is such a smooth experience.

A couple of years back, I tried to buy a New 3DS XL, but they'd been discontinued in Europe so I went to the US Amazon site and ordered one for import. Turns out the 3DS has region locking, stupid Nintendo, so it was useless. I applied to return it, packed it up, printed out the new customs sheet, stupid Brexit, and took it to the Post Office to be returned. Within a week, I had the money back in my account. The moral of the story is Amazon may be our evil overlords, but they earned it.

Also, Jeff Bezos shaped his space vehicle like a giant dildo and I respect that.

Didn't realise my copy of SMT V came with a poster, steelbook, and key ring. Nintendo UK continuing to foist free stuff on me. I've had at least 5 keyrings off them this year, and 3 steel cases, I think.
Typical anti-consumer Nintendo making you have to handle all that stuff.

okay, so as someone who has a low tolerance for anime cringe especially when it comes to misogyny… what can I expect from SMTV?

one of the things it has going for it in my eyes is that it is NOT Persona. A lot of tidbits I heard about P5 kept me from trying it out.

I’m one of those haters who takes issue with several things in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and only tried a small amount of it before tapping out. However, I’ve been enjoying the first Xenoblade Chronicles for the most part (I’m only ~8 or so hours in and I am not especially good at it).

I have never played any Atlus game.

In terms of my anime tolerance, shows that I have watched and don’t have major issues with are:
  • Mushi-shi (because it’s perfect)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series rides the line but is overall good. Brotherhood, however, pulls some gross shit every now and then)
  • Attack on Titan (not flawless but pretty good)
Versus things like:
  • Cowboy Bebop (still a masterpiece but incredibly hard to rewatch due to the casual misogyny, sexual violence towards women, and obnoxious fanservicey bullshit)
  • uhhhh most of the rest of it
and like… I can deal with a certain amount of cringe. Like there are definitely some eyeroll moments in BotW for me.

but if I get into SMTV at some point, what should I be aware of?

from what I understand there’s a giant terrible penis demon? but that mostly sounds funny, as long as it doesn’t say gross shit or have fucked up attack animations

Last edited:
The question of when 2022’s direct will be has finally started to enter my mind… I’m getting hungry again.

Do they stick with February? After legends Arceus? Lots of release dates beyond that to confirm…

Huh? Far Cry is a much bigger franchise with digital included.

Last edited:
okay, so as someone who has a low tolerance for anime cringe especially when it comes to misogyny… what can I expect from SMTV?

one of the things it has going for it in my eyes is that it is NOT Persona. A lot of tidbits I heard about P5 kept me from trying it out.

I’m one of those haters who takes issue with several things in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and only tried a small amount of it before tapping out. However, I’ve been enjoying the first Xenoblade Chronicles for the most part (I’m only ~8 or so hours in and I am not especially good at it).

I have never played any Altus game.

In terms of my anime tolerance, shows that I have watched and don’t have major issues with are:
  • Mushi-shi (because it’s perfect)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series rides the line but is overall good. Brotherhood, however, pulls some gross shit every now and then)
  • Attack on Titan (not flawless but pretty good)
Versus things like:
  • Cowboy Bebop (still a masterpiece but incredibly hard to rewatch due to the casual misogyny, sexual violence towards women, and obnoxious fanservicey bullshit)
  • uhhhh most of the rest of it
and like… I can deal with a certain amount of cringe. Like there are definitely some eyeroll moments in BotW for me.

but if I get into SMTV at some point, what should I be aware of?

from what I understand there’s a giant terrible penis demon? but that mostly sounds funny, as long as it doesn’t say gross shit or have fucked up attack animations

This one is tough to answer. Usually the games are low on "waifu-shit" (SMTIV Apocalypse being the sole exception). However, the games pull from a lot of mythology and some of the interpretations can be a bit questionable on the visual side. I don't wanna start an argument about what kind of nudity is exploitative and what is acceptable. Everyone will have a different opinion on this and I don't wanna risk sounding defensive here. If this is a point of contention for you, you should know that it has designs like this:

Jeff Goldblum is on GMA and I just had this weird thought about him starring in a visual novel game and how quickly if buy that shizz. 🤔

This one is tough to answer. Usually the games are low on "waifu-shit" (SMTIV Apocalypse being the sole exception). However, the games pull from a lot of mythology and some of the interpretations can be a bit questionable on the visual side. I don't wanna start an argument about what kind of nudity is exploitative and what is acceptable. Everyone will have a different opinion on this and I don't wanna risk sounding defensive here. If this is a point of contention for you, you should know that it has designs like this:

thank you for the info!

that one rides the line a bit based on the SMTV animation on that Wiki page, but that’s not necessarily an immediate tap-out from me?

like if every single design is like that, I’m not sure I’d be down. But if it’s only a few, then… tbd.

I’m a little more worried about the dialogue and implications, I guess. does that make sense?

Always a bit nervous when you have to talk to a doctor, especially a Gastroenterologist. Glad to hear that I have nothing to really worry about. Having a gallstone sucks, but it unless it impacts me, I can leave it alone. :coffee:

If nothing here bothers you it's okay.

In terms of characters and plot is pretty much the usual late night anime mix of highschoolers and random religious BS.

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-pubblicato-un-trailer-giapponese-dedicato-al-demone-Mermaid.jpg

SMT-V-Anahita.jpg

SFS1iICmCH4-HD.jpg

SMTV_Daily_Demon_Vol.046.jpg

E-OhPUrX0AIx-Cw.jpg

5 Stamps are not collected in levels and appear to be portraits of the 5 main characters (including Rosalina). These stamps are only unlocked when you beat all levels with each character. For instance, if you beat every level with Mario, you will get the Mario Stamp.
what the hell

what the hell
Pro tip : if you have multiple controlers, activate them at the end of each level and make appear 4 characters on screen. If you succeed to make them all jump on time on the flag, it'll count them all as if they completed the level.
Especially good to know for the final level lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom