• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would actually be cleverer if one of the games took up no space, but displayed a separate icon on the home menu.
Yep but unfortunately duplication is probably widespread. This case is a more dramatic one, but probably we are already storing lots of Unreal and Unity base code duplicated everywhere

Not sure if game consoles allow different apps downloading and then sharing the same files between them?

Maybe it could be done by having like a base blank slate unplayable version and each version then is sold as separated DLC, dunno

Having different versions honestly never bothered me, I don't mind not having access to specific Pokémon in every playthrough. If I can't get Tyranitar this time around, no problem, I'll just get it when I play another Pokémon game that has it. It makes me excited when i'm playing a game that has Pokémon that were unavailable for me before, and makes me try different mons every time.

What really aggravates me is trade evolution, because it means those Pokémon are never available. Even if trading was something I was interested in doing, it's still stupid that I trade and get the evolution of someone else's Pokémon, and I have to trade back if I just want, you know, to evolve mine. It's lowkey the worst mechanic in the franchise for me, source of so much frustration over the years. Alakazam was one of my favorites as a kid, I took a freaking kadabra to the E4 because that's how much I liked it, and until today I never had it in my team.
did you have other people in your life who played Pokémon at the same time as you?

Like to me the versions were always a clever way to encourage playing together and talking to your friends about it. It was a video game that encouraged real-world cooperation in the freakin’ 90s — it felt kind of like its own Pokémon Go moment. Almost no other game asked you to do that. It became part of the social fabric partially BECAUSE it was set up that way. And it’s part of what still draws me to Pokémon.

It hurts that I have an extended weekend on the week SMTV releases but I won't get the game on time 😭

Oh shit YouTube is removing dislikes

Nintendo was waiting for this before they upload another NSO video like

nicholas-cage-dodge.gif

Honestly it feels like next year will be a big shakeup to my top 10 games of all time list (this is less a big deal for me as it would be for some of you, I only started really getting into the hobby with the Switch)

If Silksong and Elden Ring meet my admittedly very very high expectations and BoTW2 exceeds them, I may well even end up with an entirely new top 3
If Horizon FW is a step up from the first game then I will most likely have a new entry in my top 10. BOTW 2 is a possibility as well.

Starfield might be special enough as well.

did you have other people in your life who played Pokémon at the same time as you?

Like to me the versions were always a clever way to encourage playing together and talking to your friends about it. It was a video game that encouraged real-world cooperation in the freakin’ 90s — it felt kind of like its own Pokémon Go moment. Almost no other game asked you to do that. It became part of the social fabric partially BECAUSE it was set up that way. And it’s part of what still draws me to Pokémon.

Nope, and I was 10 when the Pokémon fever exploded. It was all the kids could ever talk about, but somehow I was the only one around with a game boy and a Pokémon game (I even had a game link cable that came with the bundle and never used it, it hurts). Same with every other console since, I don't have any friends that own one. Nowdays I could go to community meetings that they organize just for that stuff where I live, but nah, I'm too old and antisocial. I did do some trading online during the DS/3DS era, but NSO isn't worth it for me just for trading, since I never play multi online.

God I sound like a hermit. My SO likes me, at least.

Just wanted to bring some good ol' positivity in here. The bad news is I had to send in my oled switch for repairs (it should be covered by warranty though), the good news is, it seems Nintendo customer service is still as excellent as I remember it being in the 3DS days. At least here in Germany and at least in my experience.

It looked like DHL had somehow effed up the delivery of my package to the repair service. The tracking said it had been "delivered to a different person: Mrs. H****" (it did give me the entire name, but I am not disclosing it here).

So I was understandably worried, especially since my repair tracking with Nintendo did not update to show my package had arrived even after 24 hours. So I called them and the guy was very patient with me and did find out that there is a Mrs. H at the logistics center of said repair service company and that currently they are getting many packages so scanning them all can take up to 3 days.

This may sound minor but he had to wade through a lot of asking people to find out whether this Mrs. H exists and I guarantee you 99% of all other companies would have been like "Well a mishandled delivery is DHL's problem, not ours, call them" (which ofc I was planning on doing, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't falsely accusing one of those poor delivery people).

I mean maybe my praise is premature because the repair still hasn't been done yet, but as far as my first impressions this time around are concerned, they're still as good as I remember them being.

Unlike Sony's customer service, with whom I had to discuss for 3 weeks to get a refund on a psn game that did not work. It's a long story but basically I played it for 3 hours, and the next day the game was locked and wouldn't boot anymore. Sony was like "But you played it, so no refund." I tried with them for weeks. I recorded a video of the game being looked, uploaded it to YouTube, linked it to them, they still wouldn't refund me.
They only gave in when I made it clear that I am aware of the terms of our purchase agreement and that said agreement did not mention that access to the game would be limited in any capacity, so they better get that refund going or I would get my lawyer going (I don't even have a lawyer but they didn't need to know that).

If you're used to shit like this, Nintendo's customer service seems amazing...

Update on this situation: The OLED Switch returned safely to my home just a week after I sent it in. They replaced the OLED screen, and it works and looks perfect now. They also replaced the battery for some reason? I don't know why, the battery seemed fine to me but I am not complaining.
All at no charge and with no discussions about whether or not it might be my fault. They just fixed it, and that's it. They even tested the Joycon for potential faults but they were fine.

So in summary, just as fast and good as I remember, would recommend.

I don't think that's a minor thing, most companies would just shrug and tell you to solve the problem with DHL, so that's at least a good beginning from Nintendo. Let's hope the rest of the process goes smoothly 😁.

My experience with Sony was also negative, but not like your case; remember the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco and the refund? Well i applied for the refund through a custom link that they created at the time, but i never got my refund.
I had to contact their customer service trough a vpn (i bought the game on the PSN US store) and only then they refunded me.

Aaah Sony.... always a pleasure.... as long as everything works that is.

NPH's twitter was, for a while at least, full of weird cringy videos of him and his family advertising cryptocurrency, to the point where I just assumed he was hacked. So my first reaction to this commercial was "wait, is it real?" 😅

Nope, and I was 10 when the Pokémon fever exploded. It was all the kids could ever talk about, but somehow I was the only one around with a game boy and a Pokémon game (I even had a game link cable that came with the bundle and never used it, it hurts). Same with every other console since, I don't have any friends that own one. Nowdays I could go to community meetings that they organize just for that stuff where I live, but nah, I'm too old and antisocial. I did do some trading online during the DS/3DS era, but NSO isn't worth it for me just for trading, since I never play multi online.

I feel ya, my experience with the Pokemon was like yours.

What do they call antisocial people with SO? If it wasn’t for mine SO i would be at risk of being a hermit lol.

Everything should get rid of dislike buttons. Not just YouTube. It should also get rid of displaying follower counts on twitter as it’s now turned into the nerd equivalent if high school where they’ll use it to dismiss people as if somehow a higher count means you are right by default or your opinion matters more. It’s the equivalent of someone on a forum saying “you have a low post count”. It’s idiotic. A lot of people - like my wife who is the smartest person I know - reads more than she posts in general by a lot. Means nothing.

Update on this situation: The OLED Switch returned safely to my home just a week after I sent it in. They replaced the OLED screen, and it works and looks perfect now. They also replaced the battery for some reason? I don't know why, the battery seemed fine to me but I am not complaining.
All at no charge and with no discussions about whether or not it might be my fault. They just fixed it, and that's it. They even tested the Joycon for potential faults but they were fine.

So in summary, just as fast and good as I remember, would recommend.

Aaah Sony.... always a pleasure.... as long as everything works that is.
That’s great! It’s good to hear that Nintendo customer service maintains it’s quality.
Now you can finally browse Famiboards or whatever while you let your new Switch Oled gather dust like the rest of us. (That’s a lie, i’m going to play a bit of Eastward today)

Oh no. If Youtube removes dislikes, people might actually have to give constructive feedback rather than just clicking a button.
comments are so much more destructive to creators than just numbers though

william osman is (was?) one of the best youtubers, but comments and social media interactions have neatly destroyed him psychologically

dislikes don't make grown men cry, years of mean comments do

edit: not that they should turn off comments. I just think this is nothing more than covering big companies' asses (nso expansion says hi)

That’s great! It’s good to hear that Nintendo customer service maintains it’s quality.
Now you can finally browse Famiboards or whatever while you let your new Switch Oled gather dust like the rest of us. (That’s a lie, i’m going to play a bit of Eastward today)

Oh trust me it's not gonna gather dust. I have a huge backlog haha.

But yeah, it's a good thing to see in today's day and age.

william osman is (was?) one of the best youtubers, but comments and social media interactions have neatly destroyed him psychologically

edit: not that they should turn off comments. I just think this is nothing more than covering big companies' asses (nso expansion says hi)

Well that's why I said constructive feedback. Toxicity in the comments section is a whole other topic.

I just think the whole like/dislike system is very poor in gauging interests and opinions on a topic. There was a thread on Era (yes I'm talking about it) that was lamenting how a video about the vaccine being approved for kids got like 85% negative votes. It was clear that OP thought the like to dislike ratio actually reflected vaccine acceptance but just by looking at the CDC website, about 80% of adults have gotten at least one shot. So obviously reality didn't match up with what the like to dislike ratio would suggest. That's because anti-vaxxers just roam around Youtube looking for videos to downvote while the average person isn't going to waste their time reacting to some news video.

It's just a poor system that is easily abused by people who have too much free time on their hands. And while the intent might be to cover big companies as you suggest, the reality is that like to dislike ratios aren't that important to these big companies. Any reaction generate engagement on Youtube which helps boost their videos, trailers, and ads on the website, ensuring more people see it. The system as is is fundamentally built to support big companies, rather than harm them. These corporations don't give a shit as long it it doesn't hurt the bottom line and like/disliek system has been good for the bottom line.

ah, gotcha! that makes sense — even though I code daily, my training wasn’t formal (or even training) and in my day-to-day stuff, I’m rarely working with version control.

what version differences are there in the games, meaningfully? most of it is just which Pokémon are available and where they are, right?

if all of the Pokémon are built in so that trading works, most of the differences would just be a quick flag check before sending one of two arrays. Same with differing text I’d assume.

That is to say that doing it differently would not save any space — like you’d maybe shave a megabyte off each at most? A kilobyte is roughly half a page of text.
Yeah. You'd be surprised at how many devs don't have the hang of basic version control. Familiarizing yourself with git and GitHub basics will put you head and shoulders above average from my experience (5 years professional software dev).

It's gotten to the point where I assume devs at major companies do not fully utilize VC best practices.

I don't think there are a lot of meaningful differences between versions, code-wise.

I like you

Quoted by: Leo
You know something I hope we get on Switch? A new Panel de Pon/Puzzle League game. "Puzzle game" is a genre Nintendo is kinda lacking in and Puzzle League is one of the best!

Given its history of being reskinned in the West as popular Nintendo franchises, a new game could take after those games and have stages based on a bunch of Nintendo IP's, in addition to bringing back the OG Panel de Pon cast worldwide. Online, 4 player multiplayer, and that 3d mode from Pokemon Puzzle League should all return, of course.

I remember Bo Burnham said something about how he was told for a long time that youtube comedians can't hone their craft properly because they don't get feedback and criticism from a live audience, and his response was "I challenge any comedian to post a video, read through the comments, and tell me they don't feel fully criticised."
And I think about that a lot.

How should I decide between Diamond and Pearl for Pokémon? I don't remember which version I had as a kid so I have no preference. Help me!

Look at which Pokémons you like more.

How should I decide between Diamond and Pearl for Pokémon? I don't remember which version I had as a kid so I have no preference. Help me!
Check out the version exclusive pokemon and think about which ones you're more likely to use

The new pup and life are still kicking my ass. Hope everyone's chilling.

My Christmas list for this year is super light on new games. Been a pretty slow Fall so far.

Having different versions honestly never bothered me, I don't mind not having access to specific Pokémon in every playthrough. If I can't get Tyranitar this time around, no problem, I'll just get it when I play another Pokémon game that has it. It makes me excited when i'm playing a game that has Pokémon that were unavailable for me before, and makes me try different mons every time.

What really aggravates me is trade evolution, because it means those Pokémon are never available. Even if trading was something I was interested in doing, it's still stupid that I trade and get the evolution of someone else's Pokémon, and I have to trade back if I just want, you know, to evolve mine. It's lowkey the worst mechanic in the franchise for me, source of so much frustration over the years. Alakazam was one of my favorites as a kid, I took a freaking kadabra to the E4 because that's how much I liked it, and until today I never had it in my team.
I may be wrong on this, but I feel like they basically stopped doing this after 2 or 3 generations, right? Like they were acknowledging it was bullshit haha

I may be wrong on this, but I feel like they basically stopped doing this after 2 or 3 generations, right? Like they were acknowledging it was bullshit haha

I think the last time it was a thing was in Sinnoh, and they really went out with a bang because there are tons of new evos in that gen and most of them are via trading lol

Let us avoid subposting about whatever is happening elsewhere. Like, I understand the desire, I really do, and I might have engaged in it too if not for the wise words imparted upon us by Raccoon on several occasions.

I apologize for what prolly comes off as tone policing.
Nintendo is anti-consumer.

How else do you explain the lack of Xenoblade 3 on my Switch.
Do you believe that Nintendo will become pro-consumer in 2022?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom