• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News SteamWorld Headhunter announced, follow-up to SteamWorld Dig 2

Looks interesting and it'll probably be an awesome game, but I hope there are some 2D Steamworld games in development as well.

3rd person co-op action adventure. Not even the same genre I loved with Steamworld Dig 2
Nope. But to be fair, every SteamWorld games from Tower Defence to Quest is in a different genre, with Dig 2 being the only literal exception. But I do hope for more of that! It was my first SteamWorld game, didn't know about the series before that. Dig 2 is free for a limited time, don't know the details.

I wish them success but initial details and showing are not exciting to me. Really liked 2.

I'm confident it'll still arrive on Switch, and I'll be glad to pick this up asap when I can

That being said, I still need to pick up SW Quest haha

Oh hell yeah! Was actually excepting the leap to 3D but not co-op. I haven't read everything yet, but would this take place between Dig 2 and Heist?

I don't know why but I bought and enjoyed the hell out of SteamWorld Dig 1/2 and Heist but for some reason, the new SteamWorld games dosen't appeal to me at all.

I will play and I will enjoy this game I am sure.

But honestly, as someone who has loved I&F for a long time, not sure I am fully on board the direction they are taking with their games.
The Gunk looks cool and I will play it. But it doesnt ooze charm like their other games and this teaser trailer doesnt really tell much.

It would be very very strange if it wasnt a Switch game since Nintendo has basically promoted both of their recent Steamworld games and has mentioned how well both games have sold. But there were more Stadia logos than Switch logos in this presentation (1-0) so I'm honestly not even sure.

Though I'm sure many of the games that had console as a platform will feature a Switch version.

They've been good at giving me stuff I didn't know I wanted until I tried it so I'm still cautiously optimistic but I hoped that the games would stay 2D while they do 3D stuff in The Gunk.

Omg with the name change this presentation wasn't on my map at all! Pouring one out for I&F.

Glad to see them continue to take risks with the series, though I have similar concerns to those expressed in the thread.

The Gunk was supposed to be multiplatform but Image & Form went Xbox exclusive because Switch couldn't take the heat. So wouldn't be 100% confident about a Switch version for a 3D Steamworld

Last edited:
Co-op focus is often a dealbreaker for me these days. I'm not at a point in my life where I have a social group tied to video games, especially indies. I would be playing alone.

Also, I had no idea they changed their name! They always seemed on the verge of releasing a massive hit, so I'll continue to root for them. I loved Dig 2.

Iirc there were people complaining when the Stardew guy announced his new game because it looked too similar to Stardew.

And in this thread there's complaints because this is too much of a departure and I&F should just make more of the same.

Now we just need Shovel Knight to transition to 3D and we will be set. We got our Neo Konami and Capcom
I guess I get the Shovel Knight developers being a Neo Capcom because of the similarities between Shovel Knight and Ducktales, but what about Steamworld Dig is similar to Konami? Just that it's a "Metroidvania"?

The Gunk was supposed to be multiplatform but Image & Form went Xbox exclusive because Switch couldn't take the heat. So wouldn't be confident about a Switch version for a 3D Steamworld
I thought that their quote only mentioned that it would be Xbox exclusive because Microsoft funded the game. Turns out they did say that they wanted a powerful platform (honestly don’t think it looks like anything the Switch can’t handle but whatever), but in that same interview they mention that Steamworld is associated with Nintendo and that they would make future games in that series so I don’t expect them to drop support

I thought Dig 1 and 2 were just okay, they are basically souped up versions of the Motherload flash game with some Metroid sprinkled over. I didn’t bother with the other games in that series because they don’t appeal to me, the new one being a coop focused game doesn’t either. It’s still nice to see more and more indies making 3D games

I guess I get the Shovel Knight developers being a Neo Capcom because of the similarities between Shovel Knight and Ducktales, but what about Steamworld Dig is similar to Konami? Just that it's a "Metroidvania"?
Capcom was always about reiterating on past games of the genre rather than pure innovation. Of course, they did so brilliantly, and with their own flair, and took a lot of inspiration from many places. Which is why they are so close to Yacht Club(both of these are my favorite 2 third party developers).

Konami was always super interested in having well connected story throughout their games, as well as having some pretty far out ideas too. The steamworld games all have incredibly unique stories, and really out there gameplay. Which is why thunderful is a perfect fit. They are quite a bit more experimental, and aren't afraid to get really "meta" with their games. Especially with the story.

The Gunk was supposed to be multiplatform but Image & Form went Xbox exclusive because Switch couldn't take the heat. So wouldn't be confident about a Switch version for a 3D Steamworld
Baseless pessimism. Not only I expect Headhunter to be on Switch day 1, I also expect The Gunk to hit Switch down the line. Being funded and published by Microsoft didn't stop some indie games appearing on Switch in the past.

Very nice. I respect that this developer has a goal to explore new types of gameplay and presentation. It must be fun to work there, constantly challenging yourselves to create something significantly different.

As for comments fearing this will not appear on Switch ... no way, nuh-uh that happens.

Steamworld has a strong affinity with the Nintendo userbase. The series in particular (and Image&Form in general) have gained greatly from this development. There is no reason to jeopardize that, especially if the reason is pre-emptive performance worries. The Switch is not hapless hardware! If the game is created with the platform's limitations in mind, we have already seen time and again tremendous results!

Yeah, when Gunk was announced, I&F came out to say they were definitely not leaving Nintendo behind. One of the owners also does all Nintendo distribution in European Nordic countries. So I'm not really worried. But I could see it being a challenge for a company new to 3D to get it running well on the Switch, depending on the design of the game.

They also said they have multiple SteamWorld games in development.

We will see how it all shakes out!

Back
Top Bottom