• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since we've had general Directs in November and December. Hasn't really happened in the Switch era IIRC.
And its been ages since we had a general direct in January (last one was 2015 and a mini in 2018) but people are hyping it up anyway

"How could you do this to me, I'm not a spam bot!" exclaimed user @spam.bot while dissolving into an incoherent string of 0s and 1s.

We'll probably get something at the Game Awards.

Nintendo knows Metroid will be nominated for Game of the Year and she has a real shot at winning, so they'll probably bring at least one thing to capitalize on all the attention. They have a golden opportunity to show off something with a more western appeal that might get lost in a regular Direct. Might want to keep an eye on that one.

Like a New Tomadachi Life! HYPE

So my "joycon disconnecting" problems in handheld mode are getting far more frequent nowadays, are there any good known fixes to it?
Some contact cleaner applied to the pins on the Joy-Con and the rail seems to have helped for me. The pins are underneath that little part that stick out at the lower end of the rail, both on the Joy-Con and the console.

hahahaha

to be fair, this is me we’re talking about, I don’t think you’re to blame for the convoluted things I find funny and subsequently don’t explain well!
Forgot to mention this earlier, but the funny thing is that after I had drawn it, I noticed iOS had recognised some of the shapes around Mew as "text", without being able to make any real sense of it.

man gba's 1st year in japan was bonkers

Seattle Mariners rookie of the year Kazuhiro Sasaki. (At least I think so because the signature looks off, but not anyone else from that team based on the year). Interesting story, but he had to go on the injured list due to falling down the stairs while carrying luggage up some stairs. The supposed real story was he was drunk and practiced pro wrestling moves, resulting in injury. This will only be one of many Nintendo/Mariners story I will put in this thread, so look forward to them.

Interesting story, but he had to go on the injured list due to falling down the stairs while carrying luggage up some stairs. The supposed real story was he was drunk and practiced pro wrestling moves, resulting in injury.
Real real story is he owed some money and "tripped and fell" into a well.

We'll probably get something at the Game Awards.

Nintendo knows Metroid will be nominated for Game of the Year and she has a real shot at winning, so they'll probably bring at least one thing to capitalize on all the attention. They have a golden opportunity to show off something with a more western appeal that might get lost in a regular Direct. Might want to keep an eye on that one.

Like a New Tomadachi Life! HYPE
At the same time The Game Awards is the place that would make the most sense to announce Metroid Prime Remaster, as that's coming within a year, has a huge western appeal, and will have the spotlight of Dread's nominations, I think they'll show it alongside a MP4 sneak peak.
Maybe they have a Metroid Prime Remaster trailer with a summer 2022 date, and then a teaser of Metroid Prime 4 with a "coming soon" as it's coming in 2023 and Nintendo never really dates things for more than the year after?? They've shown Bravely Default II and No More Heroes III at TGA 2019 after all, even tho both were dated as 2020 at the time. If MP4 is an early 2023 release it would make sense to show there already.

But the Nintendo game that surely is the most likely candidate is still Breath of the Wild 2, judging by the original heavy presence at the TGA and it probably being nominated and winning most anticipated game just like it did in 2016.

Maybe we can see Splatoon 3 with a nice trailer to grow the western hype even further. With a release date of course.

I think a Metroid Dread expansion pass shouldn't be discarded.

On the third party exclusives side, the most likely candidate is Resident Evil Outrage being revealed for spring 2022.

We don't need P5(R) on Switch anyway when P4G is right there*.

on Steam

got my N64 controller!

god does this thing fucking suck

I mean it’s an amazing recreation but holy shit lmao

one hiccup with my scheming is that I can’t wholesale remap it (maybe Nintendo will patch it, but I won’t hold my breath) and most games don’t let me use the C-buttons as “buttons” since they’re mapped to the C-stick

but believe me I’m gonna play things with this hunk of lunacy regardless of whether it’s a good idea or not!

I am not sure if anyone ever confirmed it, I know Nintendo Life had reported it a while back, but I got my copies of BOTW+Expansion and Splatoon 2+Expansion from Play-Asia today and it looks like all content is on the cart (similar to the SwSh+Expansion that they released previously).

Got nervous when I first opened them as they both have inserts and wasn't sure if there were just pack-in DLC codes but they appear to be adverts.

I dont think sony will ever allow that lol
I'm not that sure as we have the spin off of Persona 5 on the 3DS and it's sequel on the Switch already. Not to mention Persona 4 Golden selling huge on Steam.

I don't know if a port coming 5 years after the original is off the cards. Mainly after Persona 5 Strikers is already on the system.

got my N64 controller!

one hiccup with my scheming is that I can’t wholesale remap it (maybe Nintendo will patch it, but I won’t hold my breath) and most games don’t let me use the C-buttons as “buttons” since they’re mapped to the C-stick

but believe me I’m gonna play things with this hunk of lunacy regardless of whether it’s a good idea or not!

I am most excited to hook that monstrosity up to Smash Ultimate, make some minor button tweaks to better match the OG control scheme, and see how well I perform when I play like it's 1999.

November 4th can't come soon enough

Some contact cleaner applied to the pins on the Joy-Con and the rail seems to have helped for me. The pins are underneath that little part that stick out at the lower end of the rail, both on the Joy-Con and the console.
Is there anything contact cleaner can't do??

Hmmmmm... It would be a good opportunity to both hype up and expend further the western interested by announcing a Fire Emblem game on the TGAs, right?
I didn't see anyone talking about that one but I don't think we should discard the possibilities as it'll be 3 years after Three Houses by summer 2022 and it won a game award and also they took BDII there and the IS game Codename STEAM.

At the same time The Game Awards is the place that would make the most sense to announce Metroid Prime Remaster, as that's coming within a year, has a huge western appeal, and will have the spotlight of Dread's nominations, I think they'll show it alongside a MP4 sneak peak.
Lot of good ideas, but this one just feels... right? At least to me anyway.

Who actually knows what will happen, but as your post illustrates, they really do have plenty of options.

One thing I'd love to see from Nintendo is more communication outside of advertising. I know the Iwata Asks thing is something a few people miss, and it's a shame we don't have anything similar, these days.

Something i was thinking about in light of the NSO controversy was maybe if NERD were allowed and had resources to include more information about the emulation and re-release process, maybe in the NSO app. Perhaps explaining what techniques are used, or what aspects of particular games are difficult to emulate, who the license holder for the game is, what features of the original hardware the game employed, or why particular changes are made in the emulator. Put a human face on the work and give some context to the releases on the service. Sure, I don't think there are people who will ever be happy with what NSO is, and extra information about the retro service is far less pressing than actual improvements, but I like knowing more about what I'm interacting with.

Obviously, given the furore around NSO, I expect Nintendo will continue to keep communication about the service to a bare minimum.

got my N64 controller!

I love that the release of the N64 controller has a lot of people realizing that the thing was always crap. It's the "always has been" meme propagated across an entire generation, lol.
I am most excited to hook that monstrosity up to Smash Ultimate, make some minor button tweaks to better match the OG control scheme, and see how well I perform when I play like it's 1999.
Godspeed you brave souls!

Was wanting to watch this, but yeah idk
It's certainly not an unwatchable movie, but there were definitely some questionable decisions that went in to that. For what it's worth, the other two post-reboot movies are a fair bit better, in my opinion. The Power of Us is a nice ensemble movie about a bunch of people working together to deal with their personal issues, and Secrets of the Jungle is basically just a Pokémon take on Tarzan, which is at least worth it for how unhinged the antagonist gets and the general amusement of realizing Ash is just standing there not understanding what anyone is saying for significant parts of the movie.

One thing I'd love to see from Nintendo is more communication outside of advertising. I know the Iwata Asks thing is something a few people miss, and it's a shame we don't have anything similar, these days.

Something i was thinking about in light of the NSO controversy was maybe if NERD were allowed and had resources to include more information about the emulation and re-release process, maybe in the NSO app. Perhaps explaining what techniques are used, or what aspects of particular games are difficult to emulate, who the license holder for the game is, what features of the original hardware the game employed, or why particular changes are made in the emulator. Put a human face on the work and give some context to the releases on the service. Sure, I don't think there are people who will ever be happy with what NSO is, and extra information about the retro service is far less pressing than actual improvements, but I like knowing more about what I'm interacting with.

Obviously, given the furore around NSO, I expect Nintendo will continue to keep communication about the service to a bare minimum.
Seconded so, so, so hard. Like, just to better understand a method to the madness of what's going on. Otherwise all we can assume is that their business decisions is not dissimilar to what we all witnessed when Nintendo tried to show a glimpse of their offices on Snapchat for a hot minute

meanwhile-nintendo.gif

I read that and immediately thought the gif in your signature was part of the response; a half-assed salute before becoming a facepalm at our lunacy 😋

Still have no idea how it wasn't already announced if it's coming at all. Like I'd at least respect Remedy more if they had to announce it was delayed beyond the other platforms, but I'm not sure how successful they plan on being with banking on double dippers. Right now I'm simply more inclined to delay my purchase until it's on my preferred platform of choice.
totally agree, this should have been announced with the other platforms especially when we know that the game has been planned on switch for several months. Don't know why it's so difficult to release a xbox360 game day one on switch.

"Life can be a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy, when so much is on the line."

-Herman Cain, 1945 - 2020, father, husband, dumbass

Seconded so, so, so hard. Like, just to better understand a method to the madness of what's going on. Otherwise all we can assume is that their business decisions is not dissimilar to what we all witnessed when Nintendo tried to show a glimpse of their offices on Snapchat for a hot minute

meanwhile-nintendo.gif

I read that and immediately thought the gif in your signature was part of the response; a half-assed salute before becoming a facepalm at our lunacy 😋
I love that GIF so much, but I do wonder a lot if it makes anything I say come off as sarcastic. That comment was genuine, though! Always have to give props to people playing games with out-there controllers.

I love that the release of the N64 controller has a lot of people realizing that the thing was always crap. It's the "always has been" meme propagated across an entire generation, lol.

memes-risitas.gif

Lmao True

I love that GIF so much, but I do wonder a lot if it makes anything I say come off as sarcastic. That comment was genuine, though! Always have to give props to people playing games with out-there controllers.
Ahaha, nah, you're fine 😋 Honestly that's fair though, anyone who uses bizarre controllers, or have their own unconventional methods to operating them to be successful in whatever game they play, my hat's off to them

In fairness, I was a PlayStation kid with Dualshocks, so the N64 was always a bit foreign. Going from the DS1's almost modern design to the N64 was always weird for me.
Yeah, this is just about the way I look at it as well. It's so grotesque that it ends up being kind of endearing.

meanwhile-nintendo.gif

Nintendo all the time:
jose-mourinho-i-prefer-not-to-speak.gif

I smashed out Luigi's Mansion over the Halloween weekend. Been sitting on it for nearly 2 years. Got it for Xmas 2019 but sort of dropped it after the first area. I think other games must have distracted me.

Definitely see the appeal of the cohesive mansion design. Controls on a 3DS XL were a bit clunky though. I got the B mansion. Annoyed that I was just 3,000,000 shy of the A mansion but the B mansion is a perfectly nice place.

On other issues, what kind of a threat is the Steam Deck to third party support on the Switch? With the Steam Deck taking the portable USP for games available on PC with extra performance, could there be some studios deciding they don't need Switch versions?

Just went to see if I could change button mapping for the N64 controller from the Switch settings menu and... you can't.

I smashed out Luigi's Mansion over the Halloween weekend. Been sitting on it for nearly 2 years. Got it for Xmas 2019 but sort of dropped it after the first area. I think other games must have distracted me.

Definitely see the appeal of the cohesive mansion design. Controls on a 3DS XL were a bit clunky though. I got the B mansion. Annoyed that I was just 3,000,000 shy of the A mansion but the B mansion is a perfectly nice place.

On other issues, what kind of a threat is the Steam Deck to third party support on the Switch? With the Steam Deck taking the portable USP for games available on PC with extra performance, could there be some studios deciding they don't need Switch versions?
It's a curious question to ponder, but truthfully I think if devs decide to make games for Steam deck instead of Switch, it's games that likely weren't coming to Switch regardless (unless they're cloud versions). Third parties would be silly to put effort into making a full fledged PC game work on Steamdeck but miss out on potential profits for further tweaking and optimization for Switch when they're already 2/3rds of the way done.

Not to mention a Steamdeck is still building a userbase from zero compared to Switch's ~90mil and counting.

I can't say I'm realistically concerned about the threat of Steamdeck affecting the Switch's library when it's not a console that appeals to me, but nevertheless I'm curious to see how it'll shape the landscape in the near to mid-term future.

Steamdeck is mighty tempting, I might even be able to just play Steamdeck + Switch, but I'll wait for a price revision. Sadly there's still some stuff that would stay exclusive to PlayStation anyway.

Steamdeck is mighty tempting, I might even be able to just play Steamdeck + Switch, but I'll wait for a price revision. Sadly there's still some stuff that would stay exclusive to PlayStation anyway.
I'm not sure with god of war coming to pc I'm sure the rest will follow, also hearing rumors of a bloodborne pc port

It's a curious question to ponder, but truthfully I think if devs decide to make games for Steam deck instead of Switch, it's games that likely weren't coming to Switch regardless (unless they're cloud versions). Third parties would be silly to put effort into making a full fledged PC game work on Steamdeck but miss out on potential profits for further tweaking and optimization for Switch when they're already 2/3rds of the way done.

Not to mention a Steamdeck is still building a userbase from zero compared to Switch's ~90mil and counting.

I can't say I'm realistically concerned about the threat of Steamdeck affecting the Switch's library when it's not a console that appeals to me, but nevertheless I'm curious to see how it'll shape the landscape in the near to mid-term future.
I thought the point of Steam Deck was that it plays PC games. No need to develop for it.

I thought the point of Steam Deck was that it plays PC games. No need to develop for it.
the Steam Deck is a Linux device. Valve has had compatibility software for Linux for a while (all of their previous hardware was Linux, after all), but "developing for Steam Deck" could sort of mean developing for native Linux

Ahh, that's true, I think I'm just assuming there's gonna be a need for optimization especially if it's for a platform with mid-tier components. There have been just enough horror stories of poorly optimized PC games to make me wary and if that trend were to continue with Valve keeping a watchful eye it could seriously hurt the console before it even gains footing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom