• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meant to post that in the visual novel thread. Sorry!

(Chaos:Head is coming to Switch in Japan)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on Nonspecific Action Figure

figure1.jpg
I know this is an old post and all, but Non-Specific Action Figure is set to fight in Smash only after its upcoming appearance in Chibi-Robo!
Please be excited.

I just found proof that the Metal Gooreatsword is the best weapon in DQXI:
enRrKn0.jpg

MgCeY6A.jpg

Yeah this is what makes it trippy to me. If a lot of things hadn't been sprinkled through the rest of the game (like the mysterious ruins near Octagonia in Act 2 or Mordegon destroying the Lantern outta goddamn nowhere with zero explanation as to why he did it or what the little dark Tockle was doing there) I would be fully convinced this was an added chapter for the "Definitive Edition" version of the game. But there's too much. Way too much for this to have been an additional afterthought. Yet it still feels like DLC where they mostly used pre-existing assets and areas to just script out a new story. I mean, it's cool as hell that this game just refuses to end, but it feels very strange.
To paraphrase* Tim Rogers, "Dragon Quest games contain their own sequels."

*i may in fact be quoting him verbatim, i can't remember

Oh wow... WOW. LOL

So about halfway through Act 2 I found the trick of saving my pep and using Hallelujah on bosses, and eventually found the combination of Electro Light plus Erik's Critical Claim to knock out the king metals... So I ended up kinda overleveled. I was in the mid-60s when facing Mordegon in the end of Act 2 so he wasn't a problem at all. I was stomping most regular enemies in a turn or two. I felt pretty comfortable. But I just went searching for my first Act 3 boss (the one holding the mermaid queen's vision thingie, because I read that helps you keep track of Act 3 quests) and I got my ass handed to me. That dude's attacks were levelling each party member with one or two hits. Fuck. I might not be ready for Act 3 after all. 😳

Yeah this is what makes it trippy to me. If a lot of things hadn't been sprinkled through the rest of the game (like the mysterious ruins near Octagonia in Act 2 or Mordegon destroying the Lantern outta goddamn nowhere with zero explanation as to why he did it or what the little dark Tockle was doing there) I would be fully convinced this was an added chapter for the "Definitive Edition" version of the game. But there's too much. Way too much for this to have been an additional afterthought. Yet it still feels like DLC where they mostly used pre-existing assets and areas to just script out a new story. I mean, it's cool as hell that this game just refuses to end, but it feels very strange.
I will say that Act 3 starts out merely fine, but I think it gets (mostly) better and better as it goes, it's quite the ride. And as you said in a later post, yeah, it can be tough!

The Pokémon brand really came around in Japan. It was declining quite significantly during the 3DS era, S/M didn't even cross 4m there.

BD/SP > Sword/Shield at launch bodes very well for the game, it should end up in that 4.5m-5m range. Arceus is also tracking very well.

But even then, the true Pokémon's homerun is yet to come imho. Gen 9 will be absolutely bonkers and should benefit from the longer dev cycle.

I feel sad.

Everyone is finishing SMT V and I'm still in an early stage of the game.
I'm back to Tokyo for the first time and school is under attack.

I need to redistribute my life better, this cannot be.

If you're thinking about making the same mistake as me and to check that person's account... don't do it at work.
Good warning. Starting my day baffled about whatever the hell they're on about but that's one Twitter account I don't need to see.

Edit - oh dear.

No puns intended.

Edit - barely awake earlier. Decided to remove the unintentionally lewd pun.

Pun in the second edit is intended, though.

Last edited:
If you're thinking about making the same mistake as me and to check that person's account... don't do it at work.

Curiosity forced me to do this via secure browser on my phone ... and i think this dude retweeting some Pro-Trump / Rittenhouse shit is waaaaaay more problematic than the other stuff i wish i hadn't clicked and seen.

Curiosity forced me to do this via secure browser on my phone ... and i think this dude retweeting some Pro-Trump / Rittenhouse shit is waaaaaay more problematic than the other stuff i wish i hadn't clicked and seen.

Oof. I didn't even see that, gave up way earlier.

These cyber deals on the eshop are crazy, there're so much games I would want to buy.
Has anyone played Doom Eternal in handheld ? The deluxe edition with all the dlc is at a good price, I'm hesitating..
There's also ai the somnium files and subnautica for 15 bucks that are tempting.

These cyber deals on the eshop are crazy, there're so much games I would want to buy.
Has anyone played Doom Eternal in handheld ? The deluxe edition with all the dlc is at a good price, I'm hesitating..
There's also ai the somnium files and subnautica for 15 bucks that are tempting.
AI Somnium files is good. I definitely recommend it. It's a 25 - 30 hour hybrid visual novel journey. Lots of plot twists and amazing characters, soundtrack and REALLY good English VA. The ending got me all teared up. A very satisfying conclusion.

The sequel is also on it's the way next year in Spring. Perfect time to jump in especially when the physical copies have gone up in price and rare.

Doom Eternal is just great on the Switch, for what it is of course. It is blurry and all what you would expect in handheld mode, however the framerate is pretty much perfect, locking out at 30FPS like 95% of the time? If you played Doom 2016 I would say image quality is on par with that one, performance far better though.

The guy is so talented. It made me so confused back then when people disliked him during the peak of FE Awakening (it was really toxic back then lol).

Kozaki is extremely good 99% of the time and I think most of the hate came when he dropped Camilla and Charlotte. That said, Tharja and Nowi in Awakening were also… uh, interesting designs.

Kozaki is extremely good 99% of the time and I think most of the hate came when he dropped Camilla and Charlotte. That said, Tharja and Nowi in Awakening were also… uh, interesting designs.
Tharja kinda made sense and was consistent since even the males had similar outfits since they are from the same country.

Nowi though? 😬

Fates was a mess to be fair lol.

Tharja kinda made sense and was consistent since even the males had similar outfits since they are from the same country.

Nowi though? 😬

Fates was a mess to be fair lol.

Not just the outfit but also how she was used in marketing. Remember the statue? 😬

I genuinely love Kozaki’s stuff, especially his work for No More Heroes. But I’m glad that they’re more restrained in the console games again and have relegated the excessive fanservice to Heroes where I can safely ignore it.

AI Somnium files is good. I definitely recommend it. It's a 25 - 30 hour hybrid visual novel journey. Lots of plot twists and amazing characters, soundtrack and REALLY good English VA. The ending got me all teared up. A very satisfying conclusion.

The sequel is also on it's the way next year in Spring. Perfect time to jump in especially when the physical
Yes, physical copies are expensive and impossible to find in my country. I played the demo a while ago and it was really nice, so I'll dive into it then.

Replies and qrts are just a spam of "buy XC2", finally a good experience reading them on a Nintendo of America post

Doom Eternal is just great on the Switch, for what it is of course. It is blurry and all what you would expect in handheld mode, however the framerate is pretty much perfect, locking out at 30FPS like 95% of the time? If you played Doom 2016 I would say image quality is on par with that one, performance far better though.
Unfortunately I played Doom 2016 on PC .. as long as there's no performance issues it should be FINE I guess. Have you tried the DLC?

Not just the outfit but also how she was used in marketing. Remember the statue? 😬

I genuinely love Kozaki’s stuff, especially his work for No More Heroes. But I’m glad that they’re more restrained in the console games again and have relegated the excessive fanservice to Heroes where I can safely ignore it.
Oh yeah the statue lol...same with Camila.

Folks, have any of you tried Death's Door on Switch? Is it a locked 30? I didn't pull the trigger yet and I'm wondering if I should get it on switch or Series X.

Unfortunately I played Doom 2016 on PC .. as long as there's no performance issues it should be FINE I guess. Have you tried the DLC?
Bought it but haven't gotten to it at this point. Though I've seen a review claiming it's just about the same as the rest of the game performance-wise, which is a pretty good sign.

Any thoughts on The Missing or Alternate Jake Hunter? Both are currently on deep discount on the eShop.
I'm embarrassed that my profile stats on Switch expose me as only having played 4 hours, I haven't shut up about this game for years now. But Happy Home Paradise and BDSP took over because other people are playing those and so it's been more of a social thing.

I feel sad.

If it's any consolation, I'm only like three hours past that point! I'm on Thanksgiving Break, so I could devote a ton of time into it, but somehow I've been procrastinating on gaming by keeping an eye out for deals to... buy more games and expand my backlog. Woo!

I feel sad.

I haven't even gotten the game yet, don't despair. I definitely do plan to.

I feel sad.

It's been sat on my shelf since release day! Gotta finish Phantasy Star IV first.

so I offered to buy everybody's squeakoids right before thanksgiving

I'll restart my advertising campaign on saturday

The blurriness adds to the challenge

I feel sad.

I'm still waiting for my pre-order copy 🤡

The game apparently had short supplies so the store I bought it from must be having difficulty importing it.

Ok famiboard. Got a question for you all. I'm really teetering on the edge of purchasing a Xenoblade game, but I'm also not sure if it's for me. I've watched lots of gameplay clips and while most of the game looks for me, I just can't get past the combat mechanics. So because of this, I'm hesitant to spend full price on a lengthy campaign in which I may never play beyond a certain point.

Now that brings me to Torna. From what I understand, Torna is a standalone game as well as a shorter experience. I also see that it's on sale for $35 CAD. Is this something that is worthwhile to test the waters of Xenoblade with? Would it be stupid to start with Torna being that it's really just an extension of another story? What are your opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.

Ok famiboard. Got a question for you all. I'm really teetering on the edge of purchasing a Xenoblade game but I'm also not sure if it's for me. I've watched lots of gameplay clips and while most of the game looks for me, I just can't get past the combat mechanics. So because of this, I'm hesitant to spend full price on a lengthy campaign in which I may never play beyond a certain point.

Now that brings me to Torna. From what I understand, Torna is a standalone game as well as a shorter experience. I also see that it's on sale for $35 CAD. Is this something that is worthwhile to test the waters of Xenoblade with? Would it be stupid to start with Torna being that it's really just an extension of another story? What are your opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.

I would not play Torna before you play Xenoblade 2. I think a lot of the story in Torna will have less of an impact if you haven't played XC2 and it will also spoil some of XC2 if you decide to play it later.

I would play Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition first, then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and then Torna.

It is also perfectly fine to play XC2 then Torna then XCDE. But I would never start with Torna.

I would not play Torna before you play Xenoblade 2. I think a lot of the story in Torna will have less of an impact if you haven't played XC2 and it will also spoil some of XC2 if you decide to play it later.

I would play Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition first, then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and then Torna.

It is also perfectly fine to play XC2 then Torna then XCDE. But I would never start with Torna.
Thank you for the honest opinion.

Ok famiboard. Got a question for you all. I'm really teetering on the edge of purchasing a Xenoblade game, but I'm also not sure if it's for me. I've watched lots of gameplay clips and while most of the game looks for me, I just can't get past the combat mechanics. So because of this, I'm hesitant to spend full price on a lengthy campaign in which I may never play beyond a certain point.

Thanks in advance.

I guess it really depends on how sensitive you are to spoilers. Afaik, Torna was originally intended to be between Chapters 7 and 8 of XB2 (out of a total 10), consensus is that it's best played after you finish the main story. I think Torna enhances XB2 and is enhanced by XB2 in return and even though I personally don't care that much about spoilers, I have to agree that playing the main game first is the most ideal way to experience it. The entire setup of Torna is kinda spoilery.

What are your issues with the combat if you don't mind me asking?

I think if the combat is the concern, DE is definitely the place the start. DE felt a bit overwhelming with its complexity, but 2 was even more overwhelming despite knowing DE's system.

I guess it really depends on how sensitive you are to spoilers. Afaik, Torna was originally intended to be between Chapters 7 and 8 of XB2 (out of a total 10), consensus is that it's best played after you finish the main story. I think Torna enhances XB2 and is enhanced by XB2 in return and even though I personally don't care that much about spoilers, I have to agree that playing the main game first is the most ideal way to experience it. The entire setup of Torna is kinda spoilery.

What are your issues with the combat if you don't mind me asking?
To be honest, I feel like it looks a little dull. I'm not sure the auto-attacking mechanic is for me. I tend to prefer the classical arpg as in, when I press a button, the action occurs. I still do like turn-based, but I find I'm not quite as immersed in such games. I'm pretty picky on the games I do end up enjoying when turn-based is the predominant style. Now Xenoblade just looks like it takes this a step further. I could be completely wrong, but from watching clips, it looks like you just end up watching most of your fights rather than participating.

I really wish there was a demo...

To be honest, I feel like it looks a little dull. I'm not sure the auto-attacking mechanic is for me. I tend to prefer the classical arpg as in, when I press a button, the action occurs. I still do like turn-based, but I find I'm not quite as immersed in such games. I'm pretty picky on the games I do end up enjoying when turn-based is the predominant style. Now Xenoblade just looks like it takes this a step further. I could be completely wrong, but from watching clips, it looks like you just end up watching most of your fights rather than participating.

To be efficient and effective in combat, it's all about your arts, which are manual. That's where the real meat of fighting is. But that's another reason to do DE first. You can move while the auto attack is doing its thing for strategic positioning and I think it helps with getting affinity bursts. It certainly makes fighting feel a lot more kinetic than with 2 even if the mashy part is automated.

Yeah, that's understandable. I guess the nearest comparison is probably an MMO or Final Fantasy XII where your main attack is automatic but you have to perform the special attacks buffs/debuffs etc. yourself but all three XB entries on Switch have their own peculiarities. But as a big fan of FFXII and Torna specifically I can't really say that you'll necessarily like the latter if you enjoy the former.

Yeah, that's understandable. I guess the nearest comparison is probably an MMO or Final Fantasy XII where your main attack is automatic but you have to perform the special attacks buffs/debuffs etc. yourself but all three XB entries on Switch have their own peculiarities. But as a big fan of FFXII and Torna specifically I can't really say that you'll necessarily like the latter if you enjoy the former.
Exactly why I've been waiting for a sale. I'm all good with paying full price for games but find it hard to commit (and pay full price) to a series when I'm unsure I'll even enjoy the main gameplay mechanic. From what it sounds like, I should wait for XDE to go on sale and start from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom