• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Word of mouth for BDSP seems.. really bad. Like, worse than your standard Pokémon hate bad.
I’ve seen nothing like that honestly. It’s been fairly decently received in the last 24 hours.

Could change but I recall Sword and Shield been much worst at first when it released.

It's wild that a new Fire Emblem game is actually around the corner. I don't care if it's a remake, as long as it gets the same or greater care than Three Houses.

Next year honestly sounds like enough with Switch alone. When we add in XSX/PS5 I simply won't be able to play all the games I'm interested in.

Word of mouth for BDSP seems.. really bad. Like, worse than your standard Pokémon hate bad.
My guess it’s not that bad. I’m sure there’s some disappointment about the art style but the game itself seems like a faithful remake of the original Diamond/Pearl.

I also think in general more people will complain on the internet about something than actually gush about it, because they’re actually just enjoying said thing.
It's wild that a new Fire Emblem game is actually around the corner. I don't care if it's a remake, as long as it gets the same or greater care than Three Houses.

Next year honestly sounds like enough with Switch alone. When we add in XSX/PS5 I simply won't be able to play all the games I'm interested in.
There’s a new Fire Emblem coming?

Today I learned that someone has already made a meme game based off Squid Game. Crab Game. It had a peak of 38,000 players on Steam and over 200,000 viewers on Twitch.

What I'm curious about is whether the dev studio Emily mentioned that's helping out IS with the next FE is just KT again or if it's more similar to standard outsourcing work (like the 3ds FE's and the past couple Paper Mario's and WarioWare's) with IS still being the main dev with their own engine, tools, tech, etc. instead of KT's. IS seems to have worked a lot with Tose going off their (Tose's) Wikipedia page... 🤔

Either way, I hope it's a new game and not a remake (yet) 👀

Real talk : is it really that Nintendo was the big publisher most affected by COVID or was it the one to understand how much delay would be needed to ship games in a good state ?

Incredible number of broken games over the past year or so. Looking at Halo, some would also have needed another year in the oven too.

Sorry for this being unrelated, but I hope y'all stay safe tonight. As a black man, I am just so tired and worn out.
No apology needed, it’s been a rotten day. I don’t know how not to make this sound trite, especially from overseas, but take it easy this weekend if you can or need to. Days like today are made to wear people out and whittle away solidarity, but it can and will persevere and you will too. Stay safe, everyone.

Real talk : is it really that Nintendo was the big publisher most affected by COVID or was it the one to understand how much delay would be needed to ship games in a good state ?

Incredible number of broken games over the past year or so. Looking at Halo, some would also have needed another year in the oven.
Nintendo took 2020 off mostly. Shelved their directs, released a few games and announced stuff just months before released.

I remember how much people were annoyed with Nintendo’s silence that year (the era direct speculation threads were awful). Yet the Switch kept selling big time during the time so perhaps it Nintendo knowing they’ll be struggling and a shock on how well their games/system were selling that they decided to just take it very slow that year. I’m sure a bunch of their stuff got pushed back, the popularity of the switch and their evergreen probably gave them the need to be able to accommodate

Incredible number of broken games over the past year or so. Looking at Halo, some would also have needed another year in the oven too.

I'd probably even extend this and say that for all the talk of Japanese companies being unprepared and hit hard in comparison to western companies the output from the JP publishers has been more consistent in both quality and quantity.

hell no. they were just the ones people like to complain the most about. Nintendo has never been shy to delay games for quality reasons

Alright, here you go:

Somebody in the next Fire Emblem has blue hair. Probably the main lord(s). There are people with green hair too.

Give me $20 bucks on Patreon and you can have the rest of this hot scoop.
I can't wait until everyone in the next FE is inexplicably normal haired just to prove this post wrong

I'd probably even extend this and say that for all the talk of Japanese companies being unprepared and hit hard in comparison to western companies the output from the JP publishers has been more consistent in both quality and quantity.
Two of the most successful publishers of the year are Japanese after all (Nintendo and Capcom, with the third being Microsoft).

Alright, here you go:

Somebody in the next Fire Emblem has blue hair. Probably the main lord(s). There are people with green hair too.

Give me $20 bucks on Patreon and you can have the rest of this hot scoop.
Sweet. I want another Blue Hair lord in smash.

Byleth being Blue Green hair was a revelation

Nintendo took 2020 off mostly. Shelved their directs, released a few games and announced stuff just months before released.

I remember how much people were annoyed with Nintendo’s silence that year (the era direct speculation threads were awful). Yet the Switch kept selling big time during the time so perhaps it Nintendo knowing they’ll be struggling and a shock on how well their games/system were selling that they decided to just take it very slow that year. I’m sure a bunch of their stuff got pushed back, the popularity of the switch and their evergreen probably gave them the need to be able to accommodate
Yeah from what we got before COVID blew up, even a game like Metroid Dread which released in Late 2021 was supposed to launch in 2020.

They clearly took the right decision and now, going by what Emily said, their pipeline is incredibly strong and robust with several games being either done or nearly done.

I'm resurrecting this discussion because it's interesting and I want to talk/rant a bit about it

So, EXP and level growth is, imo, typically best when it's either A. tied to actively learning new skills and abilities/shaking up the gameplay and/or B. a background element that you never need to engage with. Which is, imo, usually the case. If you're grinding in a modern RPG, you're doing things wrong. So why include it at all? Well, A should be obvious, it lets you parcel out gameplay changes over time in a way that the player feels like they're earning them. B is less obvious, but it does allow you to extend the adventure and create a sense of getting stronger over time even if you're not actively engaging with the systems. And hell, "lizard brain likes numbers go up" is still a valid reason to include something in an entertainment medium.

Now, I think where EXP goes from "a good thing to have" to "necessary" is with turn-based combat, which is why it's brought up so much in the PM:TOK discussion. You can get away with not having EXP in a real-time system by making the act of combat more intrinsically satisfying in its own right, and by having other methods of progression (for example, BoTW has you find stronger weapons, action games have you unlock new moves using currency). But in a turn-based systems where any given action is less intrinsically satisfying and combat is much longer on average, going through a long combat and ending up with nothing in return doesn't feel great, even if the combat itself is excellent. And it's not really a question of "I have no reason to go and fight enemies" it's more "if I end up fighting enemies, I'm getting nothing out of it".

So in terms of PM:TOK in particular, since it did start this discussion, you'll enter a long turn based combat/puzzle thing and end up with only coins as your reward, which yeah have some value but it's not readily apparent what that value is (which is something an EXP bar shows intrinsically). So entering combat feels strictly like a punishment you're getting nothing out of. Now, on the flip side, adding experience to PM:TOK is actually pretty hard to do with the combat, since there isn't really any way to meaningfully change things up over time with the current combat philosophy. They kinda got stuck with no EXP being the best route once they chose to have a puzzle combat system, since adding EXP as is probably wouldn't improve the combat and would probably make it even more tedious. So in the case of PM:TOK, the problem isn't really that it doesn't have EXP, imo, but more that the combat doesn't really lend itself to that sort of progression as well as being kinda tedious after a while.
I wish I could "yeah" this post more than once because I agree 1000%. XP mostly functions as a way to give the player a sense of progression; at the most basic level it's just 'the numbers go up and you do more damage' but like you said it's best when it's combined with other things that give you more options: New magic/skills to use like in Dragon Quest, new ranks/promotions in Fire Emblem, letting you fuse newer demons in SMT, evolutions in Pokemon, etc.

And for me personally, that sense of progression and improvement (which can also be accomplished without XP by getting new items and abilities in metroidvanias or games like Zelda, or more with skill improvement in games like Sekiro, etc.) is essential to me enjoying a game. If I don't feel that 'progression' as I play, I rapidly lose interest in a game.

Nintendo games recently have taken long to come out even before covid, zelda life cycles are really long and even prime 4 which they delayed and gave to retro so It could be a better product.

I'm guessing now covid stuff is over(at least for the game development problems) and all nintendo staff are back in their offices at full force or am I wrong?
Nah. Covid probably won’t stop effecting development for another year or maybe much more.

Everybody? Everybody....I've got it!

Wait, no, that implies the Homestar Runner series stinks, and it absolutely does not. Nevermind, I'll think of something else.

The series itself doesn't stink, but some of the characters?
hqdefault.jpg

SickMassiveEwe-size_restricted.gif

That's a huge blind spot for me in RPGs. Actually most PC RPGs are, I should really work on playing some of them at some point.
Yep, some of the best RPGs ever made. It's one of those series that gives you mechanics and encourages you to abuse them to break the game in various ways.

But the progression of killing rats and bats for experience to becoming a flying team of gods wielding blaster rifles to shoot down hundreds of massive dragons is just 🤌

Was browsing the eShop for demos I haven't tried yet and decided to try DQ Builders 2.

I ended up buying it immediately lol It reminded me of how great DQB1 was, I'm not sure why I didn't pick up 2 when it came out. It also looks and runs great on the Switch, it's actually a very crisp 1080p/720p, I was surprised.

It's not a new thing for Nitnendo to intentionally sit on certain titles for scheduling reasons.

Majora's Mask 3D was held back to coincide with the western release of the New 3DS. Ever Oasis and the Superstar Saga remake were added to the eShop servers (though were inaccessible) months before release. Superstar Saga hadn't even been announced at that point.

That's crazy.O_O I never knew about Superstar Saga one. That mean they are holding on game for.... more than 6 to 12 months lol. Is this normal for first party there or only Nintendo level of crazy kek.

Two big things.

The first is that Nintendo's has these evergreen franchises and isn't chasing pixel count. A Nintendo game doesn't age as badly while it sits - but if you're trying to slice off a chunk of the AAA rougelite MOBA 1v100 lootbox market then your game releasing 3 months later can be a death sentence.

The second is that Nintendo started planning years and years ago. They knew they had to fix the release schedule and the constant delays. They had to bank games to ensure there was always something to release and not just hype a game they'd later have to delay.

They knew from Day 1 that every possible Wii U port was coming to Switch, so those started ASAP. They gave every dev partner a remake or a spin-off or a medium tier franchise, all the stuff Nintendo figured they might eventually get to anyway, just go ahead and start. Keep the pipeline full, and when things are going well, just put stuff in the vault, and when things are going less well, release a little bit of the backlog.

The upside has been a constant stream of high quality releases and a bunch of B team series getting serious shots in the arm. The downside has been the relative dearth of new IPs and weird Nintendo.

Ahhh. This is interesting one. But i do miss those new IP's and weird Nintendo title that actually filled my 3DS with joy.

Sakura Samurai
Steel Divers Sub Wars
Mii Plaza's games
Rabbit Sticker collecting game
Dog Baseball haggling game
Denpamen
Pushmo
And many more.

I miss those games here.T_T

I imagine most of the games releasing next year will be enhanced on the Switch 4K once it releases either late next year or early the next one. Next year will be an exciting one.

good news, my new headphones work pretty well, though I can't field test them on my way to school because of a week long break

bad news, laaaaaaaag on my switch. hopefully Dane will fix this somehow

I imagine most of the games releasing next year will be enhanced on the Switch 4K once it releases either late next year or early the next one. Next year will be an exciting one.
Honestly the should release patches for older games so they can run in 4k/better framerates on the dane at least for the big ones like animal crossing and botw

Eshop Top 5 Best Sellers

1. Remake of Pokemon game from 2006
2. Remake of Pokemon game from 2006
3. Collection of boards and minigames from first three Mario Party games from the 90s
4. HD "remasters" of three GTA games from 2001 to 2004
5. HD port of a Star War RPG from 2003
That's kinda sad tbh

Eshop Top 5 Best Sellers

3. Collection of boards and minigames from first three Mario Party games from the 90s
this industry needs fresh ideas asap

Eshop Top 5 Best Sellers

This is clearly a sign that Pokémon Colosseum remaster should happen 😏

Eshop Top 5 Best Sellers

Kind of sucks people are seemingly afraid to play new things…just more shiny old things…so much cool new stuff out there going unloved.

I do love the classics and I appreciate them reaching more people, more the we have to remaster/remake versions of everything for people to show up part bums me out.

I don't see the big deal in the top 5 outside of GTA

I just found it amusing and I of course was being a bit reductive in my description. Pokemon, Mario (Party), and GTA are among the biggest franchises in gaming so when they all have games coming out around the same time, they are of course going to dominate the top sellers. And Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic still a great game despite its age. And it's cheap, only $15. Glad to see a lot of people replaying it or discovering it for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom