• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really Nintendo related (unless your talking CDI Games) but any horror movies to recommend?
From the recent crop I'd recommend X. I also liked Barbarian and Smile although those didn't exactly blow my mind. Depending how strict you're with your definition of "horror" I'd also recommend NOPE (science fiction) and The Menu (black comedy).

From the recent crop I'd recommend X. I also liked Barbarian and Smile although those didn't exactly blow my mind. Depending how strict you're with your definition of "horror" I'd also recommend NOPE (science fiction) and The Menu (black comedy).

Thanks I seen all those and enjoyed them except for X. I’ll have to check X out, never heard of it?

They apparently just replaced the dialogue in the room.

I’ve seen people on Twitter say that it’s Sidebar Games trying to cover up employee abuse, but I honestly think it’s just the people who made the game making fun of themselves. At its core, Sidebar Games is two people ; a handful of others helped on Sports Story (one composer, one animator, five additional artists), but given their jobs I assume they were not involved in the making of the room in the first place.

Okay actually if they changed the room to poke fun at the reception to the room then that's actually awesome 😅

Thanks I seen all those and enjoyed them except for X. I’ll have to check X out, never heard of it?
X is a throwback/homage of 70s slashers, so it may or may not work for you depending how you feel about that era and its aesthetics (it's my favorite era for Horror). There is a prequel called "Pearl" that came out a few months after X that adds more depth to the world. And there's also a sequel coming up called MaXXXine. So if you like X, there's more available right away and even more coming relatively soon (I hope?)

X is a throwback/homage of 70s slashers, so it may or may not work for you depending how you feel about that era and its aesthetics (it's my favorite era for Horror). There is a prequel called "Pearl" that came out a few months after X that adds more depth to the world. And there's also a sequel coming up called MaXXXine. So if you like X, there's more available right away and even more coming relatively soon (I hope?)

Yea I love slashers (horror in general) sounds right up my alley, thanks again.

Welp, my backup drive is showing some pre-failure signs. Guess it's time to actually set up a NAS which I've been putting off.

If Square sells Luminous, do you think Nintendo should check into whether or not to buy them?
No.

And I think if anything, Square Enix is much more likely to dissolve Luminous than try to sell it. The whole studio exists to support and make games for the proprietary game engine of the same name, which seems like something outside parties wouldn’t be that interested in. They swung for the fences with Forspoken and whiffed hard.

Whaaaaa. Well I guess this will keep me busy till the return. Has to be one of the shortest Gundam turnovers I’ve seen

I’m not one to talk about tv shows a lot and I normally simply do not enjoy them

but

I am losing my shit about the Rian Johnson + Natasha Lyonne shenanigan

just finished watching the third episode and I’ve been absolutely fucking howling

Every time I hear the Solm music in Fire Emblem Engage

1EoL.gif

Last edited:
I’m not one to talk about tv shows a lot and I normally simply do not enjoy them

but

just finished watching the third episode and I’ve been absolutely fucking howling
Poker Face? It's good??

I should also stress that it makes a “solve the murder” setup work by not at all being copaganda

Natasha Lyonne is very much not a cop and is stumbling into shit very chaotically through an extremely simple but effective setup

it’s Natasha Lyonne “solving” zany Rian Johnson crimes

it rules

the first episode is by far the worst one, though, but it’s important to watch
Awesome.

I should also stress that it makes a “solve the murder” setup work by not at all being copaganda

Natasha Lyonne is very much not a cop and is stumbling into shit very chaotically through an extremely simple but effective setup
Awesome.

I need some fzero X tips

Is there some kind of boost you can do at the beginning during the count down like Mario kart?

What’s generally best for turns and sudden sharp turns? Run into walls? Or let off the gas and kinda coast through the turn? Or brake slide through it? Or something else that idk about

Poker Face? It's good??
it’s Natasha Lyonne “solving” zany Rian Johnson crimes

it rules

the first episode is by far the worst one, though, but it’s important to watch
Haven't heard of this one but on the watchlist it goes 👀

I saw Lyonne on Fallon or Kimmel or one of them late night shows talking about how she suddenly became a surfer and like, despite only seeing Orange Is The New Black up until just after she left and a few episodes of Russion Doll, I really need to see more of everything that she does. She's just an absolute delight and she seems like a pretty nice person.

Haven't heard of this one but on the watchlist it goes 👀

I saw Lyonne on Fallon or Kimmel or one of them late night shows talking about how she suddenly became a surfer and like, despite only seeing Orange Is The New Black up until just after she left and a few episodes of Russion Doll, I really need to see more of everything that she does. She's just an absolute delight and she seems like a pretty nice person.
It was Fallon, I'm watching it right now. 🤣

Also noooooooo it's on Peacock dammit 😩
No matter how many streaming services I get, the stuff I wanna see always ends up on something else. I swear they do it on purpose. *shakes fist at the nebulous collective*

It was Fallon, I'm watching it right now. 🤣

Also noooooooo it's on Peacock dammit 😩
No matter how many streaming services I get, the stuff I wanna see always ends up on something else. I swear they do it on purpose. *shakes fist at the nebulous collective*
Goddammit

Ugh, I'll find some other way to watch it at this point, maybe just wait until it's all out then use a burner email for a trial lol

but

This show is on my list. It’ll take me a bit to get to it, but I’m definitely excited.

The Last of Us is top tier television. It’s surpassed the game and may just leave it in the dust by the end.
I shall be watching tomorrow since the wife watches The Bachelor. Particularly excited about this episode since these characters didn’t get the chance to be as fleshed out in the game.

I'm a cheap bastard (and also I don't want to give Warner Bros Discovery more money) so I'm waiting for The Last of Us to be mostly over so I can just binge that, House of the Dragon, The Batman, and any other shit I missed and then unsub.

They call it market differentiation

I call it wallet murder
No joke I’m subscribed to so many services despite not having a whole lot of time to watch everything I want. And every once in a while I end up having to buy or rent a movie or show because it’s not available on any of the subscription services I have.

Fuck, that episode of The Last of Us was super emotional. Masterfully done by everyone involved, and a substantial improvement on the equivalent section of the game.

I thought tonight's episode of TLOU would be about the character(s), was not prepared for the level of backstory prepared for them.

will-ferrell-im-in-a-glass-case-of-emotion.gif

Last edited:
I saw Avatar in 4DX and I was about 90 seconds in to a trailer for the Mario movie and I was already covered in popcorn and soda ready to absolutely hurl

I don’t have any opinion of the movie. I felt like I was riding a mechanical bull made by Dyson with a few of their bladeless fans strapped on blowing in my face for over 3 hours. My senses are just so weirdly overloaded

I saw Avatar in 4DX and I was about 90 seconds in to a trailer for the Mario movie and I was already covered in popcorn and soda ready to absolutely hurl

I don’t have any opinion of the movie. I felt like I was riding a mechanical bull made by Dyson with a few of their bladeless fans strapped on blowing in my face for over 3 hours. My senses are just so weirdly overloaded
When I got advance tickets to Sonic 2 I didn't realize the special advance screening was in 4DX until the seats fired up during the previews while people were still filing in. People were being tossed off their feet, popcorn and soda flying in the rows, it was insane. I couldn't hardly pay attention to the movie because I was just gripping the seat trying not to fly out and trying to hold my neck from being snapped around. It was so goddamn stupid and I don't understand why it exists.

Picture taken by a reporter in my city tonight. Black ice is no joke.

67b5bb91-b843-4e7b-8b0b-d23cc81ff6f7-jpeg.1211

There are currently two separate 20+ car pileups right now
Looks like the driving equivalent of 4DX
I'm sorry, that's horrible

Hopefully no one was badly injured in that crash, looked pretty bad. Espcially that black car.
I was in a black ice car incident 17 years ago. Solo accident, but car was demolished and man I dont wish anyone to experience that. Losing control over a vehicle is awful.

I curated my H1 'want to buy list' quite a bit and this is what it looks like right now - and honestly Trinity Trigger is slated for Q1 and if Silksong hits in April I'm so so good without even having more games announced.

Trinity Trigger
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Hollow Knight: Silksong
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
Octopath Traveller II

I picked up Bayo3 again after dropping it for Pokémon back in December. It's a good game and I'm really enjoying it, but I have some takes.

1) I don't really like Jeanne's sections. They feel like a joke compared to the core gameplay and it makes me think that they either should've committed to the stealth gameplay or found another way to switch it up. My guess is that they thought three Bayonetta-style characters would be too many, but honestly there are ways to make 3 action characters feel distinct (DMC5 comes to mind). Either way, Jeanne feels underused in this game and it's sad to see.

2) Also, I'm not really fond of the Summons. They feel to OP to not use, and not as satisfying as pulling off actual combos. Just let me hit monsters with regular weapons dammit. Also, Cheshire is a terrible summon.

Things I actually do like:

1) The action is perhaps better than Bayo2, which is saying something. Bayonetta feels amazing to control and her moveset and weapons are distinct, are fun and unique in interesting ways and switching between them is a delight.

2) Viola. I like her character, and I like her fighting style. I'm playing post-patch so I guess I'm lucky (apparently the parry window was atrocious before but I haven't had the chance to compare) but I like how the focus on parrying makes you fight more aggressively and when I go back to bayo I often find myself taking damage because I try to fight like when I'm using Viola. This speaks great of the game, and terribly about my lack of focus.

This is it for now. On other scattered ideas, I like the open-ended areas more than the traditional approach, even if it makes the Switch chug a little more. It looks good and runs well -I have experienced some frame drops but nothing that hurt me- and I really like the game but it's missing something. With a bit more focus, though, it could've been one of the greats.

Speaking of shows, I’m going to finally dig into NieR:Automata ver 1.1 today. Anyone seen it? Takes?
I like it so far! The first episode felt a little too close to the game where it felt redundant, but it thankfully deviates in a cool way for episode 2. I also really enjoy the end of episode puppet shows. Just know it is on indefinite hiatus due to Covid / production collapse at the moment (two other Aniplex shows also got hit) so the three episodes are all we have for a while.

looking forward to the new wave of pre, parallel, and post direct breakdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom