• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to replay the Halo franchise before playing Infinite.

It’s too bad Project Gotham Racing isn’t on Game Pass. And it isn’t backwards compatible either! 😰

I was thinking of doing an entire MCC playthrough but I think that would be too much for me in one go. I do want to play Halo 5 despite the reception it received. It's just something I want to experience for myself. When Zelda comes out, that pretty much guarantees I won't be playing anything else for at least a month so I want some games that I can play through and finish in March and April.

I got an Xbox Series S last year but with so many Switch releases, I haven't really played it a whole lot. With Octopath Traveler II coming out next month, that might still be the case a while longer but I think in March and April, I think I'm gonna finally try out Game Pass catch up on some old Xbox franchises I haven't played in years. Gears 4, Gears 5, Halo Infinite. Plus Ghostwire Tokyo should be out as well.
Gears 5 was pretty fun in co-op. Played it with my cousin

You know what...

Last time Retro Studios released a new game I was 30 years old
Next time Retro Studios releases a new game I will be 40+

Thanks Retro Studios
10 years after that Retro Studios' games will by that point be... retro.

_81763098_risitas.jpg

I got an Xbox Series S last year but with so many Switch releases, I haven't really played it a whole lot. With Octopath Traveler II coming out next month, that might still be the case a while longer but I think in March and April, I think I'm gonna finally try out Game Pass catch up on some old Xbox franchises I haven't played in years. Gears 4, Gears 5, Halo Infinite. Plus Ghostwire Tokyo should be out as well.

I think I've played 10 games on my Series X since I got it on launch, and 6 out of those were Gears games lol.
That's probably the only MS franchise I am eagerly anticipating the next entry. Gears 5 is one of the best looking games from last gen, will be interesting to see what Gears 6 will look like

Gears 5 was pretty fun in co-op. Played it with my cousin

I played the first two Gears games in co-op with a bud. Played 3 solo and haven't played any since. My friend turned out into a chud and we haven't talked since 2016 so I don't think we'll be playing co-op together again anytime soon lol
I think I've played 10 games on my Series X since I got it on launch, and 6 out of those were Gears games lol.
That's probably the only MS franchise I am eagerly anticipating the next entry. Gears 5 is one of the best looking games from last gen, will be interesting to see what Gears 6 will look like

I was big into the Gears games along with Halo. But those series became less interesting to me by the end of the 360 era. I'm definitely itching to try them again after 10 years.

I am the same. I have a Series S for some games, but due to the abundance of Switch games I haven't gotten the time yet to start playing those. This year I am definitely planning to play more on my Series S because there are some beauties on it :D.

I love my series S, it's perfect for my use because the Gamepass is fabulous and flexible. It's awesome! But to touch me and move me as much as Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread or Link's Awkening...

The Game Pass is great, but it lacks that feeling of attachment, that intimate link that Nintendo knows how to create. And yet, people had the time to grow up with Xbox. But nothing they manufacture in-house seems artistically sustainable to me.

Got side-tracked by the excellent Hi-Fi Rush, but now I am back for some good old Fire Emblem Engage. Only 6 chapters in, but hope to get it done before Octopath 2 drops. Hiya Papaya!

Hot take: Nintendo doesn't need an achievement/trophy system.

I have never cared about getting an achievement in any game I've played.
While I agree that the achievements are useless, I could use a system where I can show off my accomplishments in Switch games on my profile. No point in beating a uber difficult final boss if I can't show it to anyone. Maybe a medal or badge system, I can attach to my profile page. 9-Volt, Medals: Has caught 10 different shinies in Pokémon Scarlet, has beaten Engage in Classic Maddening mode without losing anyone.

I've recently gotten back into playing some Gamepass games on my Series S (right now it's Persona 3 Portable and Hi-Fi Rush). It's an awesome little box, honestly, and a great entry-level console, but between PS5, Series S, Switch, and Steam Deck, my cup kinda runneth over with games. Not exactly a bad problem to have, but it does mean sometimes I won't touch one of them for a while.

Hot take: Nintendo doesn't need an achievement/trophy system.

I don’t care about achievements, but trophies are strangely compelling. I just got the platinum for Sonic Frontiers, and I can tell you I wouldn’t have put that much time into the Switch version without a trophy saying that I did all the extra stuff.

I wonder how neurodivergent individuals such as myself should tackle their mental health problems?

Odd question to ask, but I wonder if I'm going about it too much like an NT.

Thinking of getting Fire Emblem Engage as my next game but don’t wanna be burnt out on rpg before octopath traveller 2… is fire emblem different enough (never played the series)?
They’re both turn-based, but Engage is a tactics RPG so it’s totally different from the type of combat in Octopath. And very different exploration/character/plot styles. There’s some similarities I suppose but they’re pretty different overall.

Thinking of getting Fire Emblem Engage as my next game but don’t wanna be burnt out on rpg before octopath traveller 2… is fire emblem different enough (never played the series)?
Frankly?

Why do you want to play at this point?

Do you want to play just because it's Fire Emblem and famous or do you genuinely find it interesting?

I wonder how neurodivergent individuals such as myself should tackle their mental health problems
I would honestly advise consulting a doctor

Same

I just got the platinum for Sonic Frontiers, and I can tell you I wouldn’t have put that much time into the Switch version without a trophy saying that I did all the extra stuff
This is exactly the sort of thing that I can’t empathize with. Like logically I understand why some people like the trophies. But for me the promise of trophy/achievement would never push me into doing stuff.

For instance Prey has an achievement for finishing the game without unlocking anything on your skill trees. That to me sounds like an unfun experience and I can’t even begin to imagine how some gamers are willing to do it for a cheevo.

Frankly?

Why do you want to play at this point?

Do you want to play just because it's Fire Emblem and famous or do you genuinely find it interesting?

Never have got into the series before. I find with the Nintendo Switch I am playing more games than I ever have, this includes genres and franchises I would never have played on prior consoles. Game seems interesting enough and character and medieval setting are right up my alley. However I loved the first octopath traveller and don’t want to burn out before starting the second within a few weeks.

For instance Prey has an achievement for finishing the game without unlocking anything on your skill trees. That to me sounds like an unfun experience and I can’t even begin to imagine how some gamers are willing to do it for a cheevo.
Sometimes playing by reduction and trying to solve the game that way can be very fun. I'm the kind of sicko that likes to do high ranking or difficulty runs when they are designed well or feel good, and I also have done things like SL1/BL4 and other challenge runs. When the games work well within those constraints it can be a real banger of a time sorting it all out, so achievements to push people to try are kinda cool tbh. I'd never do a masochist run just for the trophy though, I really do not care about them nor do I know if this particular Prey run is good.

Tbh if there is some game that really grips you for whatever reason I'd suggest trying out something like that to see if you find more enjoyment out of it.

Silent Running, another killer tune by Gorillaz. Unbelievable. They haven't come close to missing on this album so far.

I would honestly advise consulting a doctor

Same

This is exactly the sort of thing that I can’t empathize with. Like logically I understand why some people like the trophies. But for me the promise of trophy/achievement would never push me into doing stuff.

If a trophy/achievement requirement is too ridiculous, I won’t bother. But sometimes it’s enough of a nudge to get me to play longer than I normally would have.

Now a counter example would be Metroid Dread. I’ve beaten the game seven times, and have plans to play it again and again. I’d love to beat it in Dread mode, even though there’s no achievement for doing so.

In short, my opinion on trophies and achievements is, I don’t mind them. And sometimes I like them! But sometimes I don’t need them.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Had an incredible idea for a game where Waluigi is an abusive superstar chef and former athlete and Luigi becomes a chef to prove that you can be kind and run a kitchen.

Would be a cooking game, of course.

Spoilers for His Dark Materials but I swear this has to do with video games:
so Asriel built the Epoch? I know we're talking dimensions here and not time travel but the way it did the thing suuuuuurrrrre fuckin looked like the Epoch

I've heard White Lotus is good so I watched the first episode and it was ok, kinda boring. Is this an indication of the rest of the series, cause if it Ill drop it.

I'd never do a masochist run just for the trophy though
Oh that’s definitely what I was getting at. I only ever do reductionist runs, as you put it, if I think they’d be fun.

If a trophy/achievement requirement is too ridiculous, I won’t bother. But sometimes it’s enough of a nudge to get me to play longer than I normally would have
I definitely understand this perspective even if I personally never get that nudge.

I went to pick up some takeout tonight and the car next to me was randomly blasting "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". You, sir, have my respect.

I'm working on the February ST a bit, any more name ideas? I was thinking something similar to what @Barely Able had but with Octopath added as well, like "Octopath Traveling 2 Directland Deluxe" or something, but is that too long? Too wordy?

Hit me with your input and ideas, Fami!

I've recently gotten back into playing some Gamepass games on my Series S (right now it's Persona 3 Portable and Hi-Fi Rush). It's an awesome little box, honestly, and a great entry-level console, but between PS5, Series S, Switch, and Steam Deck, my cup kinda runneth over with games. Not exactly a bad problem to have, but it does mean sometimes I won't touch one of them for a while.

As someone who just got a Series X in October, and has a Switch and PS5, it's definitely one of the better problems to have! One of the boxes may not get as much attention at times, but it's a great feeling to see a game you're interested in be announced and know that you definitely have something that can play it. The Switch gets a lot of play lately during my lunch breaks at work.

Are the additional routes of NieR automata worth going through ?
Yes yes yes yes yes yes

At the end of Route A you've barely scratched the surface of the game. Route B gives you a different perspective of the things you just played through, and then C is the last half of the story.
Also there are two choices you can make to end the Route C run, which will determine whether you get ending C or ending D, and you can reload your save after seeing the end, make the other choice, see the other ending, and after seeing both endings C and D, there's extra stuff that happens in the credits that unlocks the true final ending E which is small but in my opinion has strong thematic relevance to the overall story and serves as a fitting conclusion.

Fuck that game is good.

I'm working on the February ST a bit, any more name ideas? I was thinking something similar to what @Barely Able had but with Octopath added as well, like "Octopath Traveling 2 Directland Deluxe" or something, but is that too long? Too wordy?

I like where you're going with the ST name! As a quick tweak, maybe something like "Octopath's Travel 2 Direct Land Deluxe?"

Yes yes yes yes yes yes

At the end of Route A you've barely scratched the surface of the game. Route B gives you a different perspective of the things you just played through, and then C is the last half of the story.
Also there are two choices you can make to end the Route C run, which will determine whether you get ending C or ending D, and you can reload your save after seeing the end, make the other choice, see the other ending, and after seeing both endings C and D, there's extra stuff that happens in the credits that unlocks the true final ending E which is small but in my opinion has strong thematic relevance to the overall story and serves as a fitting conclusion.

Fuck that game is good.

I see so it’s sort of like a resident evil situation with the two crossing paths. Thanks for the info, going through them.

Nintendo General Discussion ST 17 |Feb 2023| Kirby’s Octopath Traveler 2 Directland Deluxe

I also like it with Super Deluxe or Deluxe Edition as riffs on it. Or include Theatrhythm in there too with Kirby’s Octopath Traveler 2 Directland Deluxe Final Bar Line.

Tangentially related, disappointed they didn’t call Octopath 2 Noctopath Traveler.

Watched 'You People' on Netflix with Jonah Hill and Eddie Murphy.

It was funny, I laughed heartily, don't need to watch it again. Pretty much take the scene from 22 Jump Street where Schmidt's dating the Captain's daughter, and expand it into 90 minutes. Very cringey The Office type humour, and the kind of "I would have voted for Obama a third time" from Jonah's mom and dad, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and David Duchovny. Decent time killer if you've got nothing else on the watchlist.

It is kinda funny though that it fulfills the same millennial film maker trope of parents apologizing to their kids lmao

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom