• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unclear part is that she's actually trying to beg FTC to drop the case by praising Sony's accomplishments. Why? Lawsuit is hardly about Sony
FTC made it about Sony, which is why ABK is talking about Sony. You can read it from their poorly constructed case, which among other things defines the relevant video game market as "Sony and Microsoft". Because Nintendo doesn't count, for reasons.

i have the same number of famicoins as the year i was born

one thousand nine hundred and ninety one
Down with the rich elite!

Got my shelf setup in my new place!

IMG_6436.jpg
Insert chef's kiss gif here

Pretty off topic, but I just wanted to say that One Piece's world-building is darn near unmatched
It is never off topic to praise the worldbuilding in One Piece.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I have officially finished ST 17, one whole day early! Look at me being all proactive. It's, uhh, a bit silly and maybe overboard, so everyone please be nice when it goes up!

(yes this is a tease, evil laughter)

Sony slashing its PSVR2 sales projections. Not really surprising given how expensive the whole thing is. The main concern for people who are fans of PSVR is that Sony has a tendency to abandon stuff quickly if it's not a major success right out of the gate.

And this is why Nintendo won’t skip backwards compat on switch 2

Not aimed exclusively at Sony ofc, but...

VR as a whole just has so many obstacles to overcome before it can become a thing I'd even contemplate using for free, much less pay money for. It's just an utterly unappealing product category to me as it currently exists.

I have officially finished ST 17, one whole day early! Look at me being all proactive. It's, uhh, a bit silly and maybe overboard, so everyone please be nice when it goes up!

(yes this is a tease, evil laughter)
I doubt it's any more silly and overboard than what I did, so don't worry!

And if it is then I salute you

I doubt it's any more silly and overboard than what I did, so don't worry!

And if it is then I salute you
It's silly and overboard BUT in a very different way! It doesn't reach anywhere near the shitpost masterpiece that yours is, I wasn't even going to try to top that.

And this is why Nintendo won’t skip backwards compat on switch 2

iirc you could only preorder directly through Sony which didn’t help and the price is super high. I’d love to jump in, but I can’t justify the price at the moment :/

It's basically tied neck and neck with Star Trek the Next Generation. Watch reruns of those 2 shows back to back endlessly as a kid. It why I love sci-fi today.
I haven't seen it in like... 10-15 years, probably, but I love that old-school style of television when there were 24 episodes in a season, around 8-10 of them would be the really essential main plot ones, and the rest would be a mix of one-offs, character-building, and just "fun". So much they could do and experiment with, even if it did lead to a lot of pretty big misses sometimes.

I haven't seen it in like... 10-15 years, probably, but I love that old-school style of television when there were 24 episodes in a season, around 8-10 of them would be the really essential main plot ones, and the rest would be a mix of one-offs, character-building, and just "fun". So much they could do and experiment with, even if it did lead to a lot of pretty big misses sometimes.
I rewatched the first season a few years ago. It's a fun show with great interactions between the main 4 characters, and some fun adventures. It's the kind of show they sadly wouldn't make today. Not serialized enough or gritty/serious enough. Sure half the planets they visit look like British Columbia but I don't care. It's such a well written show with great an amazing cast I don't care one bit that the budget wasn't the biggest.

While broadly speaking I probably prefer serialized television, there is something lost with the "let's go to the beach and hang out" episodes in shows. I think there's a happy medium between the 8-12 episode seasons that are a tightly paced narrative and the 20+ episode bloated mismash, because a lot of those episodic shows definitely had their hits and misses, you almost always had "the bad one" every season or so that you would skip on rewatch, but TV has sorta lost that feeling of spending years getting to know the characters and hang out with them, outside of sitcoms I suppose. Namely because streaming killed syndication.

As someone who watches tokusatsu shows there's still some of that there, but also those shows definitely feel their length at times, often having a hard time justifying a year's worth of episodes with how much story there is to tell. So like I said, it's a give and take.

While broadly speaking I probably prefer serialized television, there is something lost with the "let's go to the beach and hang out" episodes in shows. I think there's a happy medium between the 8-12 episode seasons that are a tightly paced narrative and the 20+ episode bloated mismash, because a lot of those episodic shows definitely had their hits and misses, you almost always had "the bad one" every season or so that you would skip on rewatch, but TV has sorta lost that feeling of spending years getting to know the characters and hang out with them, outside of sitcoms I suppose. Namely because streaming killed syndication.

As someone who watches tokusatsu shows there's still some of that there, but also those shows definitely feel their length at times, often having a hard time justifying a year's worth of episodes with how much story there is to tell. So like I said, it's a give and take.
I remember one of the reasons I got into anime and jdrama was the serialized stories. I had gotten bored of typical American tv at the time where everything was really episodic and would just bury myself in these Japanese series that had "actual story arcs." For years I didn't even "watch television." Eventually I was really excited when Heroes came out because it actually went somewhere from episode to episode, and then The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and then slowly but surely the networks started allowing more stuff like that because you could catch up on the previous episodes online (so there was less risk of losing the audience members who didn't catch every episode on schedule), and then Netflix and Hulu happened, they started their own serialized shows and just like that, mainstream western television became everything I loved about anime and jdrama.

And now it's... almost too much? There are so, so, so many high-quality prestige serials every damn year and I have four streaming subscriptions with massive watch lists on each and most of the time I don't know what I wanna watch because it's all too big and now it doesn't feel special anymore.

It's like the Syndrome meme. When everyone's super, nobody is.

Is this the most first-world-privilege rant I've ever gone on? It probably is!

Personally I feel there are merits to both serialized and episodic for shows. Something like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones work just fine serialized, but then you have stuff like Star Trek the Next Generation or Always Sunny in Philadelphia that I think work really well episodic.

Maybe it comes down to whether the show is more focused on the overall story (serialized) or the characters (episodic).

I really like the approach the X-Files took. About 1/3 or so of the episodes in each season were dedicated to the overarching story. The remainder were standalone stories.

Ultimately I think there's room for both and I feel the pendulum has swung a bit too far in one direction when it comes to western ahows.

I like my tightly focused TV, but I also like when a show is allowed to breath a bit with fun, one off adventures. I feel like people want the former so much there's always a backlash at a hint of the latter with accusations of FILLER which bums me out. A show having downtime can make the serious episodes hit harder and sometimes I want everyone just to go bake a cake, play Tennis, go to the beach or whatever for various reasons. Seeing characters in different contexts fleshes them out and also you never know if something exciting can happen on these one off adventures that might tie in a cool or fun way later.

I think β€œfiller” somehow escaping anime lexicon into mainstream use to mean β€œanything that I don’t think advances the plot meaningfully” has been a general net negative for discussion.

I remember one of the reasons I got into anime and jdrama was the serialized stories. I had gotten bored of typical American tv at the time where everything was really episodic and would just bury myself in these Japanese series that had "actual story arcs." For years I didn't even "watch television." Eventually I was really excited when Heroes came out because it actually went somewhere from episode to episode, and then The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and then slowly but surely the networks started allowing more stuff like that because you could catch up on the previous episodes online (so there was less risk of losing the audience members who didn't catch every episode on schedule), and then Netflix and Hulu happened, they started their own serialized shows and just like that, mainstream western television became everything I loved about anime and jdrama.

And now it's... almost too much? There are so, so, so many high-quality prestige serials every damn year and I have four streaming subscriptions with massive watch lists on each and most of the time I don't know what I wanna watch because it's all too big and now it doesn't feel special anymore.

It's like the Syndrome meme. When everyone's super, nobody is.

Is this the most first-world-privilege rant I've ever gone on? It probably is!
Yeah, I followed a pretty similar trajectory (right down to those exact shows pretty much). Again that’s the benefit of toku, it airs weekly so you still get weekly discussion and speculation, but those have definitely become more serialized in the last decade or so. I think a great serial is hard to beat, but a more middle-of-the-road one is gonna make me want to rewatch the Simpsons or something.

I actually think the biggest issue with the serial is shows feel like 10 hour movies now. The art of the episode telling its own story has been lost. That’s something I actually think Andor nailed, it’s an ongoing story but each episode feels like it’s got its own thing going on, which works well since it’s split into arcs.

I like my tightly focused TV, but I also like when a show is allowed to breath a bit with fun, one off adventures. I feel like people want the former so much there's always a backlash at a hint of the latter with accusations of FILLER which bums me out. A show having downtime can make the serious episodes hit harder and sometimes I want everyone just to go bake a cake, play Tennis, go to the beach or whatever for various reasons. Seeing characters in different contexts fleshes them out and also you never know if something exciting can happen on these one off adventures that might tie in a cool or fun way later.
I agree so much. I feel like we're in the minority these days, but one off episodic things in-between the the big drama helps to make the world feel textured and real.

Too many shows these days blow up the heroes base in episode three and expect me to care, but without any time to get invested in a story's status quo I can't care about it being disrupted.

I opened up my Analogue Pocket yesterday and ended up playing through Super Mario Land. What a tightly designed little game that is.

I still can't believe Advance Wars, the heavy weight million seller, is coming.

Now seriously, imagine if it actually sells 1 million. What a comeback that would be.

Just beat Professor Layton and the Lost Future and kinda wish I had a friend named Luke so could remind him of a puzzle every now and then.

Damn, these games are so cozy, nothing like it anymore.

I think β€œfiller” somehow escaping anime lexicon into mainstream use to mean β€œanything that I don’t think advances the plot meaningfully” has been a general net negative for discussion.
I'm getting flashbacks to watching Steven Universe as it aired and how so many fans complained about the "townie" episodes, let alone any episode that didn't focus on the Gems or advance the lore. It's not filler! It was written into the show purposefully! You don't have to love it, but it's there for a reason, and maybe it's okay if you just don't want what the show is going for!

...still can't believe that show is turning 10 years old this year. What a different time it was, both for western TV animation and for me personally.

Patlabor, Ultraman, and Slayers taking up a lot of the visibility.

I likey.
And Get Smart ❀️

Live Action Street Fighter Criterion Collection is blowing my mind right now.... how?

Just beat Professor Layton and the Lost Future and kinda wish I had a friend named Luke so could remind him of a puzzle every now and then.

Damn, these games are so cozy, nothing like it anymore.

Indeed. I've been playing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright and it had me nostalgic for the older games. Even if the overall plot devolves into nonsense each time by the midpoint, at least they make a good attempt at getting you to think something weird is actually afoot.

It's a shame Level-5 has been such a mess lately. Series deserves to come back or get ported to Switch.

Last edited:
I think β€œfiller” somehow escaping anime lexicon into mainstream use to mean β€œanything that I don’t think advances the plot meaningfully” has been a general net negative for discussion
Especially when filler is used to label parts of the story that are decidedly not. Still remember the hubbub over MHA’s school festival arc.

Ultimately a show just has to be interesting, really. Regardless if it’s plot advancement, character-based sitcom or worldbuilding.

fans complained about the "townie" episodes
How anyone can complain about those episodes is beyond me, those were a fun times

And holy crap Steven Universe is turning TEN this year, in my mind it’s still a new cartoon

do the cosmic shake

congrats to team january for a spectacular victory

The site is undergoing a very brief maintenance period. Please stand by! understand.
Site maintenance message needs updating.

Also, seriously considering a secondhand Wii U gamepad so I can raid the eShop before it closes, and, upon the eventual delivery of an Analogue Pocket (which I also haven't ordered yet), have a safe long-term home for my nice-and-legally-obtained GB/GBC/GBA ROMs.

It's been a while but I uploaded a new song for my fake OST project, #8! It's meant for a magical library sort of level, so it has some trippy time signatures and shifts!

As always, any feedback or anything is appreciated!

It's been a while but I uploaded a new song for my fake OST project, #8! It's meant for a magical library sort of level, so it has some trippy time signatures and shifts!

As always, any feedback or anything is appreciated!

I suck at giving feedback on music because I know nothing about it, but it sounds really cool to me!

sorry about the SpongeCrash of January 2023
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom