• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many games to play, too little time!

Upcoming paternity leave should be a good time to catch up on a few games

Ace attorney chronicles in particular is dominating my time. I love playing it, but it also kind of puts me to sleep, especially at night when I'm usually playing.

Im excited for dread, hopefully it's a tight game where I can have my fun for 10-15 hours and put a bow on it

Arise is excellent! Definitely the one to try out if you're interested in giving the series a go, and a damn good JRPG on its own merits.

Plus Arise gave us this forum

Honestly even as a joke I'm not a fan of that spoiler. A lot of people on Era actually think that was what did it, when it literally had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Honestly even as a joke I'm not a fan of that spoiler. A lot of people on Era actually think that was what did it, when it literally had nothing to do with it whatsoever.
Oh I know, I think all jokes aside that take is extremely reductive and misses the sequence of events that actually went down and the nuance surrounding it all.

Personally I find owning and treating it as a joke is the way to go with these things - because you're never going to change the minds of certain people who are convinced that that's all the situation was. With that said, if people don't really like the joke, I can remove it. I've just seen it elsewhere on here so I figured it was fine to poke fun at it lol

I enjoyed my time on Era while it lasted, but truth be told it was getting hard to venture out of the Nintendo General Discussion thread. We got a little respite from that at the very beginning, but ever since Switch started dominating Japanese sales, certain groups were starting to get more and more insufferable. You'd see people taking random potshots at the MC community in unrelated threads w/o being actioned.

Well. There ain't that much to post about right now. Following a Direct we often find ourselves in this (relatively) calm period.

This site will never know peace as long as I and @Imitatio are allowed to co-exist
We're the Yin and Yang of BDII appreciation and discourse, tho.
We need to continue our duel!
cat-cats.gif

Yup, the sports threads, the threads on TV shows, and the mafia games are all good fun.

You aren't kidding. I found the college football discord for ERA and I am having the time of my life every Saturday.

I might run the March Madness pool again next spring over there unless I get a lot of interest over here.

Also I just bought the Atelier Mysterious Trilogy because it's on sale and each game has a digital art book as well, it just added 6 icons to my screen!😱

I want get them, and the Arland trilogy too, but they are still expensive as fuck at the eShop lol and basically twice the price I see them at Steam. I told me already finish Ryza (on PC) before buy more Atelier games, so I can wait 😅

Lol wait, what? That's a new one. Are there really folk whom think that? Like even your most dedicated warrior can't think that 😅

Thank you so much for the perspective and advice. The enthusiasm behind this project, from both the community and the staff, has been amazing, and we'll try our best to deliver on that. The scope of the site is something we're trying to manage very carefully. There are still a lot of people waiting for registrations to open back up, and while I know there will be growing pains along the way, this is all great advice for us to keep in mind. We're all really happy you and everyone else is enjoying the site so far!
It's a difficult balancing act with traditional forums. From my experience of posting on them for over 15 years, there's one universal truth I've seen: if a forum isn't fast enough it usually dies, and people flock to the to the next fastest avenue. That's the reason NeoGAF and Resetera thrived while nearly every other traditional forum died: They had massive userbases which kept engagement up through frequent posting.

The main reason I kept browsing GAF/Era was because:
1. The front page was always super active with news, faster than most mainstream sites
2. Certain threads (like Direct speculation threads) would have hundreds of posts a day of decent discussion.
and I'm probably not in the minority. A tighterknit community can work if discussion is kept consistently active and news is kept on top of (maybe a thread bot would be good for this?). But growth will definitely be needed at some point, just a matter of how much.

If you want my controversial 2 cents: Contain overt political discussion to a subforum, or ban it entirely. Yeah 'everything is political' and that's right to some extent, they'll be edge cases. But I've never been on a forum where the blatant political discussion didn't lead to massive toxicity. It happened on GAF/Era and it will happen on any big forum that doesn't put a roof over it. Me and many other people stopped browsing the OT forums entirely because the focus on politics and agendas bled into everything and made it toxic. It just wasn't fun to engage in.

Oh I know, I think all jokes aside that take is extremely reductive and misses the sequence of events that actually went down and the nuance surrounding it all.

Personally I find owning and treating it as a joke is the way to go with these things - because you're never going to change the minds of certain people who are convinced that that's all the situation was. With that said, if people don't really like the joke, I can remove it. I've just seen it elsewhere on here so I figured it was fine to poke fun at it lol

Tbh the joke is fine as long as you know what really did MC threads in. Plus like you said using jokes is a good way to let things pass that otherwise couldn't change.

I want get them, and the Arland trilogy too, but they are still expensive as fuck at the eShop lol and basically twice the price I see them at Steam. I told me already finish Ryza (on PC) before buy more Atelier games, so I can wait 😅
Well with the announcement of Sophie 2 I figured I should play Sophie, which was £25.... but the whole trilogy is £55 so.... Koei Tecmo got me hook, line and sinker lol
Lol wait, what? That's a new one. Are there really folk whom think that? Like even your most dedicated warrior can't think that 😅

Yes, people are saying it was Tales Drama when the inciting incident was clearly the Matsuyama stuff lol

Playing Mega Man X in the collection for the first time, what’s the recommended order for the bosses? I’ve already beaten chill penguin btw

I still do very much value and appreciate what ResetEra gave us, over the past four years. Admins and mods on any board are still human, at the end of the day, and running a site of that magnitude with such few staff on hand was clearly (and understandably) overwhelming. This is not to excuse the numerous unfortunate missteps taken across various communities, of course, but it is to say that I don't think the site is "doomed" or unsalvageable, and I haven't jumped ship from there, or anything. I'll still use Era, but I'll use FamiBoards too. More viable options for communities, especially forums specifically (when Discord has blown up and become so vital, over the years, for better or worse), are never a bad thing. We now have a brand new avenue to pursue our shared love of gaming together on, and I sincerely wish all the best on it, going forward.

So happy that Actraiser Renaissance continues to do well on the US eShop. Hopefully its success can lead to a true sequel and other Quintet games either being re-released or remade (although I would prefer the former).

Wanting to stay focused and tight knit is one of the reasons the sales community is doing their own thing as well.

There's a lot of overlap(you'll see me on both sites) but we want a place to focus on sales.

I'm definitely interested in this as well. Is there a board name picked out so I can watch out for it, or somewhere I can go to be apprised of updates?

I've been enjoying NNK2 and dropped BD2 pretty early on #TeamImitatio
Ok but NNK2 is a slightly different story. Playing NNK1 instead of BD2 is a disgrace (he said, despite also holding off on BD2 because he's playing NNK1)

Though in my defense that's mostly because I know I'll actually enjoy BD2 so if I start it now I'll be sad I'll have to drop it for Dread. I have no such compunctions about dropping NNK

Man. I really wish I could get that Dread special edition art book. Why can’t Nintendo just sell these art books separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom