• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video actually made me want to live in Sweden

Let me tell you, Americans are not reserved. If you are out working in the field or anything outdoors, people will literally cross traffic just to ask you what you are doing.

Yeah people in my town are actually hostile towards any sort of development that helps or promotes walking, cycling, or public transit. I hear complaints that "the only people who use those things are people with DUIs or the poor or homeless and they made the choices that led to those needs so we shouldn't encourage those sorts of things."

It's fucking mind-boggling. Like some class warfare bullshit.

Really? Oh wow. I thought this car-dependent reality was something that people simply learned to live with, not something to the point of discouraging everyone that tries to pursue another lifestyle, and public policies related to that. "Using your feet? How dare you". That's sad...

Please avoid gendered insults, there’s lots of other ways to get your point across. - Pixelknight, Harina, Hologram, BozPaggs
Nintendo: Is a bitch and doesn’t release Gamecube NSO.

Me: FINE! I’LL DO IT MYSELF!!

Not only is a car required almost everywhere in the US, but driving is also more unpleasant here

The standard of driving is generally pretty low, but everyone thinks they're a great driver, so they drive really fast

Also, apparently this country has not yet grasped the concept of "small suburban roads" unless it's literally a residential street. Need to drive somewhere that's 10 minutes away? That's three highways, baby

Really? Oh wow. I thought this car-dependent reality was something that people simply learned to live with, not something to the point of discouraging everyone that tries to pursue another lifestyle, and public policies related to that. "Using your feet? How dare you". That's sad...
Yep. Car ownership, like home ownership, is a class litmus test here. The quality and expense of the car you drive sends "a message" to people, about your means, your standards, etc. So people who can't afford a car? Or actively want some other option for transportation? That sends a message that you are of some lower class of society. And in America being poor is considered "a choice" because all you have to do to not be poor is "work harder," so if you can't afford a new Lexus every three or four years then that's "your own damn fault."

I daily drove a cheap, rusted 1972 Datsun for four years. People thought I was nuts for it and I loved that.

Last edited:
This video actually made me want to live in Sweden

Let me tell you, Americans are not reserved. If you are out working in the field or anything outdoors, people will literally cross traffic just to ask you what you are doing.

As a Swede, I can rarely take a walk in the highly wooden area around where I live without someone passing me and saying "Hello!" and such. D: And as someone with big social issues, that is terrifying
People are scary

Yep. Car ownership, like home ownership, is a class litmus here. The quality and expense of the car you drive sends "a message" to people, about your means, your standards, etc. So people who can't afford a car? Or actively want some other option for transportation? That sends a message that you are of woke lower class of society. And in America being poor is considered "a choice" because all you have to do to not be poor is "work harder," so if you can't afford a new Lexus every three or four years then that's "your own damn fault."

I daily drove a cheap, rusted 1972 Datsun for four years. People thought I was nuts for it and I loved that.
One of my sisters gets a new car every 3-4 years, it's wild to me.

Yep. Car ownership, like home ownership, is a class litmus here. The quality and expense of the car you drive sends "a message" to people, about your means, your standards, etc. So people who can't afford a car? Or actively want some other option for transportation? That sends a message that you are of woke lower class of society. And in America being poor is considered "a choice" because all you have to do to not be poor is "work harder," so if you can't afford a new Lexus every three or four years then that's "your own damn fault."

I've never understood the whole class/status thing with cars. I'm lucky enough to be upper middle class but give me a very boring Toyota or Subaru that's functional and can fit car seats behind my giant legs and I'm happy as a clam.

I stuck with a 95 Camry for close to 18 years, I was sad when I had to say goodbye to that piece of junk.

When I used to drive a Volvo after my Opa passed away, I admit it wasn't sleek but goddamn it was comfy and smashed damn near every safety record it had for 2003. Lasted until 2016 and +200K on the odometer. Every now and then I see the latest S60 model and get a little nostalgic...until I see that price tag for an ICE and just, big ol' fat NOPE.

I only got a lease for my current car after my VW died (stupid pos) because I wanted to go full EV but the tech isn't quite there enough for me yet. I'm more than happy with 600KM for a battery range now entering the market that isn't named Tesla, but now I just need to price to drop significantly.

(That being said, I say all of this knowing that the only way to really reduce city congestion even if cars ran on unicorn farts is if there's meaningful infrastructure investment for public transit and taxes on private vehicles using public roads)

ANYWAYS hope y'all are persevering through your Monday. Bear & Breakfast is v fun, y'all.

One of my sisters gets a new car every 3-4 years, it's wild to me.
Oh dude

One of my high school friends gets a brand new Mercedes every two years, and every time she poses at the dealership with the car and the salesman for a picture that she then shares on Facebook to proudly announce her acquisition.

Americans are weird.

I've never understood the whole class/status thing with cars. I'm lucky enough to be upper middle class but give me a very boring Toyota or Subaru that's functional and can fit car seats behind my giant legs and I'm happy as a clam.

I stuck with a 95 Camry for close to 18 years, I was sad when I had to say goodbye to that piece of junk.
YES. I keep looking at new cars, test driving when one catches my eye, or renting one when I'm out of town, and they all feel/look like crap to me. I genuinely just want like an early 2000's Subaru to drive forever, and then a dumb-as-shit project car on the side (currently my dream is an AMC Gremlin with a 2JZ swap but we'll see how my situation is after the move 😅).

Unless she's getting insane tax rebates doing so, that seems...excessive.
My friend's sister went from a simple sedan to a bigass 3-row SUV as soon as she had kids, because according to her there's so much extra equipment you have to haul around when you have kids that she "needed" a vehicle that big. And because her parents often babysat for her, her mom also traded her sedan in for a bigass SUV.

There's literally a perception here that you "need" massive vehicles to function in America.

Came across this lol:

ratlicker35eqm.jpg

Never heard someone use it though.

My friend's sister went from a simple sedan to a bigass 3-row SUV as soon as she had kids, because according to her there's so much extra equipment you have to haul around when you have kids that she "needed" a vehicle that big. And because her parents often babysat for her, her mom also traded her sedan in for a bigass SUV.

There's literally a perception here that you "need" massive vehicles to function in America.
Yeah, I've always been a fan of smaller cars. The largest car I'm willing to drive is like, a Honda Civic.

oh, honey

What's crazy is that Battlefield already had the pieces to make a popular battle royale well before COD jumped on the bandwagon. EA already had years of experience of making games with large scale battles with vehicles. But COD surpassed them even in that department.

I’m starting to think Nintendo will remake one of the Mario and Luigi games on Switch. I know they did a couple on 3DS already. Give me Bowser’s Inside Story at least.
Hear me out:
A new kind of Super Mario RPG

By Atlus

Just imagine Mario summoning Yoshi, Peach summoning Daisy, Rosalina summoning Luma and a dungeon crawling setting.

GOAT.

Ehh, there really is a lot of extra stuff you need to carry around, though. We have 2 kids, so we bring 2 strollers, diaper bag, trays for them eat, and space for whatever we buy, like groceries for 4 people, which is generally around 8-10 bags. SUVs are just ideal for kids. We have one, and the back is generally full, and the 3rd row, if we use it, will sometimes have grandma or uncle sitting in it.

That said, once we don’t need it - maybe in like 8 years when the kids are teenagers, we’re definitely getting a much smaller EV car.

What's crazy is that Battlefield already had the pieces to make a popular battle royale well before COD jumped on the bandwagon. EA already had years of experience of making games with large scale battles with vehicles. But COD surpassed them even in that department.
I don't play BF so I only know this from a friend but the Battle Royale situation seems to be an absolute mess.

Yeah people in my town are actually hostile towards any sort of development that helps or promotes walking, cycling, or public transit. I hear complaints that "the only people who use those things are people with DUIs or the poor or homeless and they made the choices that led to those needs so we shouldn't encourage those sorts of things."

It's fucking mind-boggling. Like some class warfare bullshit.
So in a nutshell, your town is just an "armpit".

The only reason I see Nintendo not showing MPR in the direct was because of MP4.

I feel like it has to have a AoC video this month if it’s coming this holiday.
I think it can be that they wanted to have MPR as the biggest announcement on its own and not be on a Direct where the biggest megaton would be TotK. Also MP4 is a big factor, they probably thought Pikmin 4 was enough of "in-engine teaser, no gameplay shown" for the Direct.
I think it can still come this holiday, like December, but it gets less likely each day sadly. I think March is a huge candidate for its release tho as it's suspiciously empty.

Random day in October:

Nintendo: here's a trailer for Metroid Prime HD releasing this November.

Internet: Why the hell wasn't this at the direct?

Search your feelings you know this has a good chance of happening.
Yeah lol. I mean, wouldn't be the first time either... Late summer and holiday 2019 were absolutely packed, and yet, Nintendo came mid September (and not on the Direct!) and announced RingFit Adventure for the following month (also 2 weeks before Luigi's Mansion 3, which was 2 weeks before Pokémon).
Well, something similar can happen.

Suppose Tears of the Kingdom is finished except for the soundtrack and next week Nintendo shadowdrops an early access release that is content complete but with the bah bah music throughout the whole game. Do you buy it now or wait until May for the full release?

Keep in mind the clickbait youtubers will certainly buy it now.

Ehh, there really is a lot of extra stuff you need to carry around, though. We have 2 kids, so we bring 2 strollers, diaper bag, trays for them eat, and space for whatever we buy, like groceries for 4 people, which is generally around 8-10 bags. SUVs are just ideal for kids. We have one, and the back is generally full, and the 3rd row, if we use it, will sometimes have grandma or uncle sitting in it.

That said, once we don’t need it - maybe in like 8 years when the kids are teenagers, we’re definitely getting a much smaller EV car.
I don't wanna come across like I'm arguing against that (I don't have any kids and am thus ignorant), but I keep thinking, like, if that's the case then why are other countries driving small cars and at best maybe some wagons? I can understand people wanting space, but saying it's a necessity makes me then question how the countries that aren't filled with 3-row SUVs manage. Are walkable towns and superior public transit the difference, maybe?
(I know you didn't say it's a necessity, I'm talking about the people I know around here who insist it is)

So in a nutshell, your town is just an "armpit".
LOLOLOL
I actually do call this place "the pit-stain of California." 🤣

Lol, I'm posting way to much images lately.
Wait
There's such a thing as posting too many images..?
yes-sweating.gif

Not only is a car required almost everywhere in the US, but driving is also more unpleasant here

The standard of driving is generally pretty low, but everyone thinks they're a great driver, so they drive really fast

Also, apparently this country has not yet grasped the concept of "small suburban roads" unless it's literally a residential street. Need to drive somewhere that's 10 minutes away? That's three highways, baby
I can't Yeah! this post enough. I absolutely despise car culture.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Woah Adnan Syed’s conviction was vacated today. I feel like I’ve been following this case forever now.

The good news is, other people are still around to report on Nintendo rumors: NateDrake, Jason Schreier, Jeff Grubb, Tom Phillips, Imran Khan, Bloomberg.

Still, your departure from the space has Nintendo breaking out the bubbly :]

Your occasional bomb drops will be missed over here

a certain goofy ass switch accessory was half off on amazon and I'm very excited

I'll post a review here when I get it

Woah Adnan Syed’s conviction was vacated today. I feel like I’ve been following this case forever now.
Yeah the prosection apparently decided not to disclose to the defense that there were a few other subjects which is grounds for a mistrial or vacated sentence. He's gonna be retried though I think.

I started replaying Astral Chain and am not really feeling it. The combat is still fun, but there's too much of slightly dull adventure and too little action. I remember enjoying the game a lot more on my first playthrough, and I'm wondering whether it gets better or if my preferences have just changed.

My pro controller has started to drift, it randomly starts pulling my character down when I hit right on the stick. Is there anyway to fix my pro or am I sol?

My pro controller has started to drift, it randomly starts pulling my character down when I hit right on the stick. Is there anyway to fix my pro or am I sol?
I had to open it up and use contact cleaner on the sticks (compressed air also works afaik). Hasn't given me any issues since.

I live in Paris and I just have no use for a car. The city and its surrounding are pretty much covered by the subway, trams, regional trains...

Also, by fast train, I can access so many different cities in a short amount of time

London : 2 hours
Lyon : 2 hours
Rennes : 2 hours
Strasbourg : 2 hours
Marseille : 3 hours
Bruxelles : 1h30
Amsterdam : 3h30

And they are building a fast train between Paris and Berlin (coming soon) + building through EU funding a way to travel by train beneath the Alpes mountains and connect Lyon to Turin (Italy).

Whenever I hear about how big cities like New York and Boston are connected, I am just shocked by how unoptimal this is. Even from a financial perspective. The American urbanism will take decades to modernize so I understand it is a huge undertaking but there's just no excuse for the lack of a strong train network in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom